Bodyslamming the Camera Man

A friend sent me this. Any of you seen it:

Channel 2 reporter Jeff Dore just ran a story at the top of the 5pm newscast where they tried to corner the Speaker at the LOB to ask him about his divorce, and Jeff says the Speaker’s bodyguard “body slammed” his camera man. The camera shows the Speaker running down the hall away from the press and the trooper pushing the camera guy against the wall.

By the way, as an aside, I’ve spoken to several good friends who I trust on the matter who have dug into the Speaker’s divorce. They, all lawyers, have said they are having a hard time seeing that there was anything improper other than the reporting. We’ll see if that holds up as facts continue to trickle out, but it seems like this is a non-story being conflated into something much bigger than it is.

Nonetheless, given the Speaker’s high handed actions of late, he probably should have expected to get this reaction. Likewise, this Jeff Dore video coverage isn’t going to help.

UPDATE: Representative Ehrhart was kind enough to point out what actually happened. Geez, people think I have it out for the Speaker. I expect Cynthia Tucker is lying in wait to run the man over with an eco-friendly car. I suspect the Speaker is strategically calculating wisely here — the more the media starts firing at him on stories lacking much legitimacy, the more people like me are happy to defend him. Anyway, here’s what really happened:

Actually the footage shows the Speaker calmly walking down the hall.

The only body slam was the massive camera guy pushing and slamming the Speaker’s 5′ 4″ 110 lb press woman into the wall and hitting her with his camera.

Then he got mad because she had the audacity to mention she would rather he not do that.

1. eehrhart says:

Actually the footage shows the Speaker calmly walking down the hall.

Big brave camera boy!

2. Tommy_a2b says:

Mr Chairman Ehrhart, no matter what anyone says about you, you are one heck of a loyal General. I wish I could put you on my payroll for protection duty. I am not saying anyone pays you currently.

3. whitemalevoters says:

It is obvious to us that the Richardson Speakership is imploding. Fast. We can tell by the way Earl Ehrhart is scrambling around every thread overly defensive and putting out the Speaker’s “spin” on every subject. Then again, Earl knows his authoritarian rule chairmanship of the Rules Committee is over the day Glenn is ousted.

Earl is minister of propaganda in Richardson’s glorious revolution!

White male voters across this state would be very surprised if Richardson is still Speaker this time next year. In fact, we would be surprised if he is still speaker this time two months from now.

This saddens us. Glenn Richardson has always put our white male priorities first. He is a tireless warrior for the underrepresented white male voter. We’ll miss you, Glenn.

Viva la revolucion!

4. Rick Day says:

Where’s the Beef ™?

We now live in a Police State ™. Thanks to gutless politicians, this behavior is perfectly ‘normal’ in todays terrorized society.

You made your bed, now get in it.

5. eehrhart says:

Pretty funny Tommy I had to laugh. The truth be told I really am defending Clelia here not anyone else.

Hey check the IA list!

As for the big ox camera guy whining about his issues. If I were him I would suspect she could take him down anytime if she was able to see him coming. What a wimp he is after running over a tiny woman.

6. StevePerkins says:

Interesting to see how rapidly Erick’s been backpedaling over the past couple of days. This cameraman thing is a “he-said-she-said” story that makes the Speaker look like a victim of exaggeration, so slipping in a remark about the underlying divorce issue being “bigger than it is” makes that story look exaggerated by association.

However, I haven’t heard anything yet to challenge the facts that a former law parter of the Speaker took his divorce case out of order, and took the unusual step of sealing the records. Whether or not the divorce will take a few more weeks to finalize, and whether or not this cameraman’s story is bogus, seem to me like side issues thrown up as a smokescreen.

7. aardfark says:

Wow. This kind of stuff never happens to the fine folks over at GPB’s “Lawmakers.”

8. Icarus says:

“What do you supposed GPB knows about camera work and interviewing that WSB doesn’t?”

That if they piss off the speaker, they’ll be broadcasting over the intercom at Parkview High School?

9. eehrhart says:

True aardfark,

The GPB Lawmakers are fine young people who still practice the profession of journalism.

Hey Steve why dont you go to FOX and see the interview with Judge Osborne and then tell me which facts are wrong with what he says.

Or even better ask anyone who practices domestic relations law and then enumerate your so called facts with respect to special treatment.

10. shrike071 says:

I know that dude (the cameraman) and let’s just say he isn’t a person I’d want to hang out with. Clelia, also someone I know, IS someone I’d want to hang out with – politics aside. Anyone that knocks her out of the way deserves whatever is coming to them.

The GPB folks are consummate professionals in every way. Their reporters may be a bit green, but I know that one of their camera-folks has been shooting for 15 years, and the other one has been at the game for 7 or 8. On top of their skill, they both are some of the nicest people you’ll meet down there.

11. Tommy_a2b says:

Rugby, man you gotta let it go. No really let it go man.

rugby fan // Feb 15, 2008 at 11:26 am

“Earl:
    What is the possibility of a House Resolution commending Peach Pundit for setting a new record for the number of comments in a thread?”

12. EAVDad says:

Maybe the cameraman was just trying to get to know his spokesman. After all, she was the “most attractive” person in the capitol! Right?

13. rightbeforeleft says:

The Speaker is a goon. Stop believing the spin everytime they throw it at you. Is no one clear on his pattern of behavior and actions yet? How many times do you grant a man amnesty before you remove your blindfold. Wake up.

14. Jace Walden says:

Tommy,

Did you also tell black people to stop fighting for equality?

Did you tell our troops to stop fighting to give the Iraqi’s a better life?

Did you tell Nelson Mandela to stop fighting against his unlawful imprisionment?

Did you tell Eli Manning to stop fighting against the Patriot pass rush?

I bet you’ve never had a dream. Until you’ve had something worth fighting for, you’ll never understand.

15. aardfark says:

In this wacky post-911 world in which we find ourselves, I believe we’d be remiss if we didn’t take a moment to remember that faithful sentiment:

“Can’t we all just get along?”

/turns his head down to resume reading “The Tipping Point”

16. Icarus says:

“Huckabee Supporters like Jace and Icarus are a mean bunch. I’d advise not to cross them.”

Especially don’t do anything really, really dumb like calling either of them Huckabee supporters.

You’re really wanting to drag this out Farris?

17. Photog30309 says:

How about what really happened from somebody that was there. To bad Representative Ehrhart got it wrong from his squeeze. The Speaker came out of that commitee meeting at a pace that would put Peachtree Speed Walkers to shame. His body guard had to trot to catch up. Trying to ask the Speaker about a question about his divorce is far grounds when he gets something others don’t. The camera dudes from Channel 5 and 2 were in a public building doing their job. The Speaker using State employees to avoid fessing up to the public is just wrong. The trooper put his hands out to block the hallway. The camera guys tried to walk past, at that point the body guard dropped his shoulder and pushed the guy from channel 2 into the wall. Personally I think the Ch2 guy showed great restraint, he could have just stepped on him(big dude). Clelia was screaming “we’ve got a meeting…stop!”… she got tangled up with the cameraman from Channel 11.(who missed everything).