McCain leads Clinton & Obama in Georgia

According to numbers released by the Georgia Secretary of State’s office, 1,060,851 Georgians voted in the Democratic primary. Numbers like those would normally be something that Democrats in the Peach State could crow about. Unfortunately, Insider Advantage Georgia is out with a poll that’s being described as a “Red State reality check.”

If the election were held today:

McCain: 47 percent
Clinton: 40 percent
No Opinion/Undecided: 13 percent

McCain: 48 percent
Obama: 40 percent
No Opinion/Undecided: 12 percent

In both contests independents voters said they would vote for McCain by a 52 percent-to-30 percent margin. Among Democrats, 75 percent said they would vote for Clinton. Sixty-nine percent of Democrats said they would vote for Obama. In all cases the small remainder of identified Republicans and Democrats overwhelmingly said they were undecided. [Source: 2/14/2008 Augusta Chronicle article “A Red State reality check: Georgia big for McCain if vote held today”]

I know a lot of people will say Georgia is a deep crimson red state, and no Democrat has a chance here, but if this trend continues across the south, you’ll have a situation where the Democratic nominee starts the General Election campaign already behind one-third in the electoral college (FYI, southern states make up a third of the electoral votes).

1. debbie0040 says:

Romney put the welfare of the nation and party above his self interests. Huckabee needs to do the same.

Jason Shep, since the YRs like resolution , they need to introduce one urging Huckabee to step aside for the good of the party and nation.

BOSTON – Republican campaign dropout Mitt Romney endorsed John McCain for the party’s presidential nomination and asked his national convention delegates to swing behind the likely nominee.

“Even when the contest was close and our disagreements were debated, the caliber of the man was apparent,” the former Massachusetts governor said, standing alongside his former rival at his now-defunct campaign’s headquarters. “As a party, we come together.”

“We all know this was a hard campaign … and now we move forward, we move forward together for the good of our party and the nation,” said McCain, who was campaigning in Vermont and Rhode Island earlier in the day and added a flight to Boston to accept the endorsement.

2. Doug Deal says:

Once again CO, FL, IA, MI, MO, NV, NM, OH, OR, PA, and WI. If you don’t live in those states, the margins are generally too big for R or D to bother.

Those states add up 139 EV, which is a little over half way to victory. 68 of them are centered around Ohio, PA, OH, WI, MI. Pick a VP from say Ohio, like a John Kasich, and it will probably be an impossible election for the Dems, if the South, mountain West and plains stay bright red.

3. Doug Deal says:

That should be “once again it will be that decide the winner.

That is one problem with Obama. He really won’t help in the South or the West. Increasing the already large margin of victory in CT, NY, CA, MA doesn’t help much. In fact, it can even be that he wins a strong majority of popular votes due to such large victories in the liberal hotbeds of the country, but still loses pretty soundly in EV.

4. ConservativeCaucus says:

nice sarcasm Romegaguy. I also appreciate your sophisticated way of spelling his name… that is what we ought to do, turn our political opponents’ names into explitives. It really helps move along the discussion we need to have about those important things like taxes, immigration, life, health care, etc.

I think Huckabee and his supporters realize that he is extremely unlikely to be the nominee. However, as long as he remains civil about it, I think this benefits him, the GOP, and John McCain.

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

“Of course the people’s republics of CA, NY, MA, NJ, DC, CT, DE, VT, ME, MD, IL, RI, and WA restore the balance.”

Hey I resent that, I’m originally from New England and I don’t walk around calling Georgia the “Close-minded Christian Republic of Georgia,” or refer to the State’s motto as “Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer” ……hmmmm, although maybe I should.
    😉

6. SouthFultonGuy says:

Andre,

Glenn is no worse than Tom Murphey, the difference is he just does it in your face instead of behind the scenes.

7. IndyInjun says:

IA is the least accurate of the polls.

They might be a mile off.

I won’t even say that Georgia will turn blue, but I think there will be some statewide surprises.

I say choose your poison.

8. Icarus says:

“Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Pennsylvania have an excellent chance of going for the Dems.”

I don’t think Pennsylvania will even be in play. Ohio most likely dem. Virginia is uphill for Reps.
    Florida has multiple personalities and could end up going for either.

McCain’s only real hope, in my opinion, is to hold Florida and VA, and then take Wisconsin and Minnesota in exchange for Ohio. Which is why I still think it will be VP Pawlenty.

9. GOPeach says:

MITT ROMNEY said – ” A Vote for HUCKABEE is a VOTE for McCain”….

When in FACT … the TRUTH is …

A VOTE FOR MITT WAS A VOTE FOR MCCAIN!

That Mitt Flopp is a REAL Slick Salesman ain’t he?

BAIT and SWITCH in the highest order.
    Honestly… Romney makes me sick.

10. Donkey Kong says:

Peachy,

As much as I dislike Romney and McCain (and believe me, I do), Huckabee is worse than any Rockefeller Republican we’ve had. The only reason Huck is a Republican is because many Dems have become anti-Christian. Huck is a textbook old-school Democrat. I wouldn’t trust Huck with the balled up Taco Bell(r) wrapper I just threw away. He’d probably lambaste me for eating at such a corporate place which probably uses transfats somewhere in their ingredients that should *obviously* be outlawed.

Where are the statesmen?

11. Roy says:

I wonder if this is Huckabee’s plan? He continues to sow resentment and mistrust in the GOP in regards to John McCain. This turns off most evangelicals and neocons and causes McCain to loose in November. Then Huckabee thinks, “hey, I’ll just come back around 2 years after that and run again.

12. rugby fan says:

Steve:

We didn’t want to start a thread congratulating us on setting a new Peach Pundit record, we haven’t investigated Paul Broun or Erick not getting sworn in…we have much larger problems than the Romney endorsement.

13. GOPeach says:

OKAY HERE IS MY TAKE ON NOVEMBER…

1. McCain ( obviously) will win the nomination.

4. McCain will lose the national election to whomever the Democrats nominate.

No Republican will win the presidency without the South and you certainly can’t win while alienating the social leg of conservatism. Even if McCain does, a two-legged stool won’t stand more than four years.

Regardless of who win this election, there are no true conservatives that can win. Which means the next president will only last four years. It took a Jimmy Carter to give us Reagan. What will Hillary, Obama, or McCain bring?

14. Icarus says:

Now that GOPeach has proclaimed that McCain can not win in November, I suddenly feel much better about his chances in the general election.

15. GOPeach says:

I NEVER NEVER NEVER trusted Mitt Flop Romney….

I always knew that he changed his mind faster than a 2 year old at Christmas.

I wanted to crawl through the TV set today andscream… ” MITT, You DIRTY LIAR!!!”

I actually know Christians who supported him ( even though he is a cult leader) and they believed him to be an honest man. WRONG!

A VOTE FOR MITT is a VOTE for McCAIN!!!!

I say to all GOP delegates who voted for Mitt… Do NOT VOTE for McCAIN at Convention! HOW DARE MITT “give his delegates away”… That is SOOOO ARROGANT!!!

Who in the hell does he think he is?????

16. rugby fan says:

“I wanted to crawl through the TV set today andscream… ‘MITT, You DIRTY LIAR!!!'”

Interesting. I had the same visceral reaction to Phuckabee: the Suckabee Huckster.

17. GOPeach says:

” Interesting. I had the same venereal reaction to Phuckabee: the Suckabee Huckster.”

Words like venereal, phuck, and suck when thinking of a presidential candidates is sick, doncha think?

18. GOPeach says:

When it came down to carrying the conservative South …..Plastic Romney snapped like a cold credit card trying to pry open a unaccessible door. He never had a chance. Gov. Huckabee is the real deal. To bad about the media and Romney himself lying about it being a two man race. Romney and Thompson were the spoilers.

19. GOPeach says:

Face it, your man lost because he only changed his positions to suit his new ambitions. At the end he still said he was for “gay rights” and his big government mandatory health insurance program is bankrupting Massachusetts. He never was a hunter and doesn”t believe in the 2nd Amendment.

Huckabee has been pro-life and always will be. He wants to end the income tax and support the 2nd Amendment.

20. Bill Simon says:

“I wanted to crawl through the TV set today andscream… ‘MITT, You DIRTY LIAR!!!”

Wasn’t there a scary movie where some hideous lady crawled OUT of the TV set? The Ring, as I recall…

21. Donkey Kong says:

Peach,

BTW, last time I saw someone start making comments down this path, the person was banned and comments deleted. You already have enough people lobbying to have you banned. Don’t give them this kind of ammo. After all, I would miss you if you were gone.

22. John Konop says:

GOPeach

As I have said in the past your provocative comments are interesting to read.

Yet I do have to challenge you are the concept of a conservative. Issues like civil unions should be left up to the State not the federal government. The constitution is bigger than personal believes liberal or conservative.

Also I am against gay marriage yet I fully support gay people to have the same legal rights as any American ie civil unions. The problem we have is people on the right and left want intervene to much and push their view on the world on others. This is why the Middle East is so dysfunctional.

The key to America or any functioning democracy is the ability to respect minority rights otherwise you have mob rules.

23. Romegaguy says:

If Romney was a spoiler, how did he end up with more votes and delegates than Phuckabee?

Speaking of changing minds and flip flopping, wasnt GOPeach originally casting her support to Ron Paul? And some of you wonder why Ron Paul lost…

How long before candidates start asking GOPeach NOT to support them?

24. debbie0040 says:

McCain will win the nomination and will win in November. The Huckster needs to drop out and go back to selling his books. He wants a brokered convention. He is being very self serving by staying in. He is not putting the best interest of the country first like Romney did.

For those of you that say they will not vote for McCain, read the article below to see what we have at stake this November.

Just take time to think about this article . Do you really want to sit this election out with so much at stake? We have much work to do to keep the Whitehouse…

Ronald Reagan Would Back McCain
    by Michael Reagan

Posted: 02/15/2008

In 1976 the Ford vs. Reagan campaign for the Republican presidential nomination got so heated it looked as if my father and Jerry Ford would never again talk to one another.

When it was over and Ford had won, what did Ronald Reagan do? He simply went all-out to help Ford win his re-election, as did I and as did my sister Maureen. My dad simply followed his rule of backing the Republican candidate no matter who he was.

Assuming that John McCain will be the Republican nominee, you can bet my father would be itching to get out on the campaign trail working to elect him even if he disagreed with him on a number of issues.

Unlike my father, a lot of conservatives stayed home in 1976, and we got four years of Jimmy Carter, whose main legacy was to drive the Shah of Iran from power and create the Islamic Republic of Iran with a bunch of wild-eyed mullahs running the show. He also gave us 20 percent inflation and long, long lines at the gas pumps. And don’t forget 440 days of Americans held hostage by the mullahs.

By staying home those conservatives made possible the future election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

We are still suffering from the legacy of James Earl Carter, thanks to the conservatives who refused to follow Ronald Reagan’s example and instead sulked at home while the nation was being handed over to the worst president in American history.

We were still in the middle of the Cold War in those days, and by staying home conservatives risked losing that war by allowing an incompetent leader to become commander in chief.

Four years later Ronald Reagan took over, the hostages were immediately released, and he went on to win the Cold War. Now we have another world-wide war going on with a hidden enemy sworn to kill us all, and the policy of the Democrats running for the presidency is to throw up their hands and withdraw from the battlefield, leaving it to the enemy — and our fate in the hands of Osama bin Laden.

Is that what the let’s-stay-home-on-election-day conservatives want? Do they want the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate, Barack Obama, as their president? Do they want the pseudo-Marist Barack Obama — who reportedly has a photo of the murderous Castroite thug Che Guevara hanging in his Houston, Texas campaign headquarters — hanging that photo in the Oval Office?

Do they want Hillary Clinton, the duplicitous former first lady, back in the White House enjoying all those furnishings she and her husband tried to swipe from the mansion?

Do they want a Democrat spending even more money that the government doesn’t have on scores of programs right out of Karl Marx’s playbook?

That’s exactly what they’ll get if they sit out the election and stay home on Election Day. That’s called biting off your nose to spite your face. Or even more to the point, political suicide.

Let me say this. There has been plenty of battling in the primaries, and I’ve been in the middle of the battle, but until now haven’t committed myself to any candidate, waiting until we had a nominee.

That’s over.

If John McCain is the nominee of the party, this Reagan will happily campaign with him. The alternative is unthinkable to anyone who loves this nation.

25. nast says:

I heard an interesting interview on the radio with Mark McKinnon, McCain’s media advisor. He said that if the GE comes down to Obama vs. McCain, he would quit the campaign. The gist I got was that he thought Obama was a decent individual, and he didn’t want to be involved in the personal attacks and smear jobs likely to arise in the election.

It may be nothing, but if McCain’s own advisors won’t back him against Obama, how many moderate Republicans and independents won’t, either?

Link to interview: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18958535

26. GOPeach says:

John-

I agree with you about the “rights” of gays in Civil Unions. This would give them the same “tax benefits” and even insurance benefits as anyone else. That is only fair.

But with FAIR TAX – there would be no concern about this.

27. GOPeach says:

If you are blaming Ron Paul’s lack of votes on me… you have placed me way too high on the national influence podium.

28. Jace Walden says:

GOPeach,

How about we get the government totally out of the business of marriage? Marriage is a religious matter, something between the people getting married and their preacher. The government has no authority regulating the religious matters of two consenting adults.

29. Icarus says:

“Must I remind you of CONGRESSMAN PAUL BROUN????”

You mean the dude that can’t get sworn in?

“you have placed me way too high on the national influence podium. ”

Not likely,

“Oh and… Mike Huckabee is still running for president and he is still getting my support.”

Best of luck with that. He and I have the exact same chance of getting elected President this year.

30. rugby fan says:

“Must I remind you of CONGRESSMAN PAUL BROUN???? None of you had even heard of him!! I was the one who campaigned for him… and you see he won….”

Not true. We are trying to get him sworn in Peach.

You are only good for half of the battle. Where are you when Congressman-Elect Broun needs you the most?

31. SamTeasley says:

That is a good article by Michael Reagan and he is right. The GOP will need to get behind the Republican nominee, regardless of whether we agree with him on all the issues or not. Senators Clinton and Obama are unacceptable on nearly every issue.

32. GOPeach says:

SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND — PEACH STATE …

With GEORGIA being a HUCKABEE WIN, the delegates will have to sign a pledge to vote for the DISTRICT WIINNER or STATE WINNER, (depending on where they were elected to the National Convention) for the first 2 ballots. The way things are going, it’s not going to take even 2ballots. So whoever is elected will be voting for HUCKABEE, if their District was a win for him.