The Speaker is not divorced

He’s headed down that road, but it seems in the AJC’s zeal to get the scoop, they botched the story.

House Speaker Glenn Richardson isn’t divorced, two Paulding County judges said Wednesday. At least not yet.

Paulding County Superior Court Judge James Osborne, Richardson’s former law partner, said Wednesday he had only put the records under court seal.

“I have not granted a divorce,” he told The Associated Press.

Osborne said the case is now in the hands of fellow Paulding County Superior Court Judge Tommy Beavers. Beavers told the AP that he hasn’t dissolved the speaker’s marriage either.

What’s really so funny about this story can now only be found in the Google cache. The AP, pursuing the story to get it right, had ended with “The [AJC] did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.”

At least the Speaker’s Office promptly calls even little ol’ me on stuff. The AJC might want to do better.

1. StevePerkins says:

Not to jump to the defense of the AJC of all things, but it should be pointed out that two separate Peach Pundit front-page posters (ahem, not mentioning names) promoted the scoop with no fact-checking either. Either way though, it looks like the basic gist of the original story still stands. A former law firm partner of the Speaker took his divorce case out of order, and sealed the case from public view. The fact that the divorce will take a few more weeks to formally finalize seems like a minor technicality to me.

2. Gag Halfrunt says:

Rugby, we’re still waiting for Richardson to deny the existence of a personal relationship with a lobbyist whose bill he was varrying!

3. gatormathis says:

rugby fan // Feb 13, 2008 at 8:39 pm

I think the only reason Erick posted this is to keep good favor with the Speaker’s office.

This was probably about the time he also realized he would need money from Atlanta to get the hotel idea back up and on the table …huh………or anything else…………

4. juliobarrios says:

“What I find perplexing though is why it took as long as it did for the Speaker to deny getting a divorce.”

If I had been the Speaker I might not have denied or affirmed anything either. It’s a difficult period they are going through and really nobody’s business. Why should the Speaker find it necessary to correct and prolong more sloppy reporting on his personal life.

This botched story is just one more that makes the AJC seem more like “People Magazine” when it comes to covering the Speaker.

5. rugby fan says:

“Why should the Speaker find it necessary to correct and prolong more sloppy reporting on his personal life.”

Because that is a pretty damn personal mess up.

6. juliobarrios says:

It’s a personal matter and I don’t think the Speaker is obligated to aide a newspaper that is willing to throw all journalistic standards to the wind in the name of some really juicy gossip.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Speaker did the right thing. Let the AJC dig an embarrassing hole. Perhaps it will demonstrate to its readership what a sad shadow of the days of Henry Grady it has become.

7. rugby fan says:

If it weren’t true then the Speaker could file a lawsuit. If he truly wanted to put the AJC in a hole, suing for false reporting sounds like a much better way to do it than letting a story about a fake divorce that would have moved as swiftly as it did because of cruel treatment of one spouse by the other, incurable mental illness or adultery stick to him.

8. GOPeach says:

I do not think it is very tasteful to attack the Speaker or whomever when they are having a very emotionally painful personal life. I hate divorce.

Speaker, if you a are reading this thread – I apologize on behalf of all the unkind people who have made sport of your marital issues. God have mercy on all concerned.

Now… I think you need to read HB 536 – This would be the RIGHT thing to do! It could cause things to turn around in your favor on all levels.

9. rightbeforeleft says:

This is a man who walks all over the lives of others for his sole political gain, has displayed a rumored tendency for infidelity and personally stalled the general assembly for two years running now. Obviously not winded by his minimal efforts on behalf of the people of Georgia (seriously tell me what he has done for the citizens of Georgia, seriously) he seems to miraculously find tremendous energy to go on the political attack and personal defense on all matters not relating to the state. Where is all that energy when we need a solution for the water crisis or a new strategy for structuring access and coverage to healthcare? Why is cronyism his main concern related to transportation when the state is facing a crisis of gridlock to come? This man is a menace to the south while drinking his sweet tea under the dome.

10. aardfark says:

“The AJC might want to do better.”

Do better than what? Other than some token poking fun by the AP, who else really cares about this story?

Oh and Burdell, I would welcome the opportunity to drop Mr. Speaker into the total perspective vortex for a while …..

11. GOPeach says:

Okay Right of Center –

Political attacks are acceptable; just not personal.

You have a point about The Speaker not addressing things that are the most important. My main complaint with him is how he completely ignores the pro-life issues and he calls himself a “Pro Life” legislator.

This just in from Mike Griffin GRTL

At the Cobb County Republican Legislative Luncheon on Tuesday, February 12, Glenn Richardson, Georgia Speaker of the House, was asked about HR 536 and what he would do to see that this pro-life legislation got to the House floor for a vote.

Before a crowd of about 100, Mr. Richardson let it be known that he has no intention of having HR 536 on the House floor. He then switched the topic to his tax credit proposal which he claimed would give tax credits to parents who adopt foster children. This feeble explanation did not stop those in attendance from gasping in disbelief.

Should one man stop us from accomplishing our goal of stopping the ghastly horror of abortion-on-demand?

Should one man determine which persons are protected under the Georgia Constitution?

Should one man decide what legislation deserves a vote and what doesn’t?

Should one man hold hostage the Godly, conservative, pro-life values that we want in our elected officials?

Should one man wield that type of power over life and death decisions in our state?

The answer is no, no, no, no, and no!

Glenn Richardson has the power to serve, defend, and protect the people of Georgia. He must stop, unilaterally, thwarting and undermining pro-life legislation.

12. John Konop says:

I do agree his personal life should be off limits. But if he was sleeping with a lobbyist and trying to spending my tax dollars with her BILL that is not off limits!

13. shrike071 says:

Sorry – if you run for an elected office with the party that holds their “righteousness” and “morality” above all else (sans fearmongering…), then you yourself MUST be held to those same standards by the people that put you there.

Once you enter the realm of the elected-folk, your personal life is fair game.

Quit your whining and take your lumps.

14. ksuowls81 says:

“A party that holds their “righteousness” and “morality” above all else”

What party doesn’t hold these values as their strong points. The democrats think they are on the side of righteousness and morality to. They just have different views on what those two words mean.

The day that somebody runs on the platform of “I am only human and I am going to screw up all the time” is the day that American politics get real.

I understand that you are extremely partisan Shrike, but think before you type something on the screen. The parties, democrat and republican, are all the same and use all the same rhetoric.

15. Jace Walden says:

I have to agree with Shrike071.

These Conservative® Republicans run for office on a platform of morals and Good Christian Leadership®. They want gays to act a certain way. They want smokers to act a certain way. They want women to act a certain way with their bodies. They are all about using the government to achieve a society based on Social Conservatism®.

People deserve to know that 99.997% of these hacks are nothing but hypocrites and phonies.

16. Jace Walden says:

ksuOwls81,

The Republican Party is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Christian Coalition, National Right to Life, and the Southern Baptist Convention.

Democrats (I’m not one by the way) talk about morality as well, but they don’t try to turn the Constitution into the Bible and Congress into the Sanhedrin (sp?).

17. ksuowls81 says:

That is opinion of most of the people, and everyone says that, but as many can see this is not true with John McCain getting the nod for a presidential nomination.

I mean there hasn’t been any legislation passed to ban abortion. There hasn’t been any legislation passed to define the turn of marriage. Churches and christianity are still getting attacked every which way by secular organizations, and vice-versa. We say that they are a pawn of the Christian movement, but what has REALLY happened to prove this.

If anything, the Christians I talk to are pissed at the Republican party because they don’t tow the line. I am a Christian and I feel as though the Republican party is horrible at representing my Christian views.

18. Jace Walden says:

ksuowls81,

I’m with you on one thing: I’m sick and tired of the Republican Party misrepresenting Christianity to the world. The GOP makes Christians look like a bunch of bigoted, anti-everything group of luddites. I wish politicians would be politicians and allow us Christians to define ourselves.

Also, I think the grip of the Christian Coalition is definitely loosening somewhat, as evidenced by McCain’s candidacy. But as long as we’re still debating “Marriage Amendments”, “Sunday Sales”, “Roe v. Wade Overturning”, “Posting the Ten Commandments”, “Terry Shaivo Interference”, and (Insert Republican Led F*ck-Up Here), then it’s going to be extremely hard for the “opinions of most people” to be debunked.

19. ksuowls81 says:

Agreed Jace…

But let’s keep in mind that they are only debates and not action. People are allowed to have opinions on all of those issues. That is why politics are great, and debating is fun.

I am pretty moderate myself so I can see different sides on all of those issues.

20. Jace Walden says:

No doubt, the debates have been extremely fun from a blogging standpoint. But I think having these pointless debates has really hurt people’s overall image of the Republican Party.

Admittedly, I was never that hardcore of a Republican, but these “debates” are what prompted me to leave it. Don’t get me wrong, I fully realize that my absence doesn’t affect the GOP one bit. In fact, as much as I have criticized the GOP, I’m sure most Republicans would rather not associate with me. But I know that I’m not the only person who has abandoned the GOP because of these issues.

I joined the State LP almost a year ago, but I haven’t been active in it at all, and I probably won’t pay to renew my membership. Not because I don’t “believe in” the LP, but because I could just care less right now.

21. Rick A. says:

GOPeach got Jace and ksu a little off topic…lets bring it back to the issue.

Given the Speaker’s well-known tendencies for doing whatever it takes to get his way, I could envision that this could have gone down just as the AJC originally reported it (though I’m not ready to defend them). Perhaps the fast-tracked and sealed divorce has occurred and now that their hands have been caught in the proverbial cookie jar, there is a mad scramble to “fix” it.

Imagine with me the following hypothetical and purely ficticious conversation:
    OSBORNE: Glenn, this has blown up in a major way and we are going to hammered for it. I told you this wasn’t smart!
    RICHARDSON: Just shut the h*ll up and tell me how you are going to fix this!
    OSBORNE: What do you mean, me fix this? This is your problem, not mine!
    RICHARDSON: MY PROBLEM????!!! You’re the one who said I should get a divorce! I was just doing what you told me to do! You fast-tracked it…You sealed it!
    OSBORNE: What are you talking about????
    RICHARDSON: This is YOUR fault that I’m getting blamed for all of this. You better fix it NOW!
    OSBORNE: I don’t know what to do. Just settle down. You’re gonna have a stroke. I’ll call the Judge and see what I can do…may be we can pull this out yet.
    RICHARDSON: You better hope so or I’ll, I’ll, I’ll…strip you of your damn committee assignments and make you sit in the closet over in the CLOB!!!
    OSBORNE: Ummm, Glenn, I’m not a Representative….
    RICHARDSON: I don’t care what you are! If you don’t do what I tell you, I’ll STILL make you sit in a closet in the CLOB!

I bet I’m closer to the truth than just saying the divorce never happened in the first place…Just a thought.

22. jsm says:

Actually, that would define 100% of people.

23. rightbeforeleft says:

Rick A. has hit the nail on the head. Thinking like Glenn gets you closer to the truth than any reporter or spokesperson ever will. He is human, thinks in his self interest (as most of us do), but is also imbued with significant power. I see little wrong with anything he does from a personal perspective, its simply that he does not act in accordance with the standards we expect of someone trusted with so much power.