The Flu

I have been exiled to my bedroom for four days with the flu. For those of you who have had it this year, this is the worst I’ve ever been sick, and I had the flu shot this year too.

For those of you who read Peach Pundit regularly, I don’t know what the hell they’ve been doing around here in my absence.

1. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Erick, now that you’re feeling better, do you think you can photoshop the heads of Glenn and Earl onto Felix and Oscar from the ‘Odd Couple’?

2. SpaceyG says:

You just take your time getting better, Erick hon. All the time in the world. I’ll hold down the fort here.

Now, let’s see… what would Umbridge do?!

3. Bill Simon says:

Glad you’re getting better, Erick!

Here’s a hint to you folks who want to avoid the flu: stay away from interacting with people…even your own kids. 🙂

4. Bill Simon says:

Erick’s not sticking to politics…where are your balls on challenging Erick on his posts, Uga?

You know, if you didn’t spend so much time licking your own balls, you could have entered the Westminster Dog Show under the Ugliest Dog category. 🙂

5. Demonbeck says:

We’ve been enduring endless posts from GOPeach, which is worse than the flu.

Now if only someone could teach SpaceyG how to use that “Continue Reading” button, all would be well in this cyberworld.

6. GOPeach says:

GOPeach’s Jewish Penicillin: Chicken Soup

5 lbs. chicken bones, wings and necks
    1 zucchini, sliced in half
    1 onion, peeled but left whole
    4 carrots, peeled and quartered
    3 parsnips, peeled and quartered
    3 stalks celery
    1 sweet potato, peeled and halved
    1/2 leek, cleaned
    1 tomato
    3 TBS Chicken flavor Better than Bouillon
    1/2 bunch fresh dill
    1/2 bunch fresh parsley

Place the chicken in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a gently simmer and spend the next half hour (at least) skimming the scum. You’ll know what the scum is as soon as you turn down the boil.

Once the liquid is fairly clear, add the vegetables except the dill and parsleyand be sure they are covered by the water.

Simmer for an hour, add additional water if required.

Add the Better than Bouillon, if needed for richness, fresh dill and parsley. Simmer for an additional two hours.

If the soup is cloudy at the end of the three hours here is a trick to clear it up. Crack five eggs and make an omletter or whatever. Crumble the egg shells and add them to the soup. After 15 minutes strain all solids out of the soup (they’re not worth eating, at this point they gave their all to the soup, but be sure to use all the listed vegetables, even ones you may not like, as IMO they give an essential flavor to the soup that is just missing if you omit them).

Return the broth to the soup pot. At this point you can add some cooked chopped chicken breast, carrots, celery, matzah balls, anything you would like to eat with the soup.

Simmer until everything is tender and dish up into soup bowls. Let each individual season the soup to their liking at the table.

NOTE – A specialist in pulmonary medicine, put his wife’s grandmother’s chicken soup recipe to the test. He concluded that chicken soup actually has a mild medicinal effect, inhibiting inflammation of the cells in the nasal passage, reducing the symptoms of a cold.

So chicken soup really can help you get better!

7. Donkey Kong says:

“Here’s a hint to you folks who want to avoid the flu: stay away from interacting with people…even your own kids. :-)”

Bill, standard techie advice — avoid all interaction with people. Funny, because that’s our advice on how to deal with techies. 😉

8. Donkey Kong says:

Ummm…GOPeach…who in the world feels like expending that effort to make soup when they feel sick???

I’ve become sick over the last few days too, and many of my friends have as well. Strange.

I blame Obama. My Dem friends keep talking about how they need to spread the Obama fever; I don’t know about them, but I would prefer they kept their fever to themselves.

9. Donkey Kong says:

For what it’s worth, Bill, despite all the crap I give you, I look forward to fighting side by side with you and other techies when we storm Tennessee to reclaim our land.

10. GOPeach says:

Donkey –

I posted the recipe for someone in MACON to cook up a big ol pot of JP FOR Erick!!! I know the Sweetheart is not up to that kind of Gourmet Cookin!