The Richardson Divorce

This is kind of funny. Last Thursday I got an email on the tip line that we’d be hearing that Glenn Richardson was getting a divorce, done quickly, via his former law partner turned judge, and the records would be sealed.

Well, turns out that’s the case.

House Speaker Glenn Richardson and his wife filed for divorce, completed the dissolution of their marriage and got court records of the proceedings sealed — all in a single afternoon last week.

The Richardsons appeared privately on Wednesday before a Paulding County Superior Court judge who was not even assigned to their case. The judge, James Osborne, is a former partner in Richardson’s law firm.

The judge to whom the case was assigned, Tonny Beavers, said Friday he does not know why the case ended up in Osborne’s court. Beavers said Osborne told him he had received the divorce documents before they were officially filed.

The fast-track divorce defied normal procedures as it sped through the Paulding County Courthouse in Dallas, allowing Richardson to keep most details private, including any that might reflect on his performance as a public official.

So much for being a man of the people. I think Speaker presumes himself to be above the people.

1. rugby fan says:

Well she never answered the allegations that she was using a comment enhancing keyboard, so until she goes before Senator Specter to testify under oath, that record will be forever tainted.

2. TPSoCal says:

Wow, this guy is a real piece of work. Is this the same guy the Dems filed an ethics complaint against for cavorting with a lobbyist. If so, I guess there was some fire with that smoke. In my very uninformed opinion of the Speaker, I think he needs to go, and soon. He will end up hurting the majority. He is a menace to freedom and virtue. Where does the rest of the caucus stand on his leadership? Do they feel he is a positive force for the party? He sounds like an amoral tyrant to me. I guess I could be wrong.

3. Steve Garveys Child says:

Not that I want to be the one to defend the Indefensible One, but it appears that the AJC got it wrong. There is no way to get a divorce without waiting 31 days. It appears that the judge ordered the documents sealed while the 31 day waiting period expires. The judge did not sign a final decree. There is no word whether or not the final documents, containing all of the details, will be open for public review.

4. fishtail says:

Fresh from the 3rd floor of the Georgia State Capitol…seems that everyone at the Gold Dome but me already knew that the Speaker is now domiciled in one of Earl Earhardt’s rental houses in Powder Springs. That’s outside his district, right? Wonder how much rent Earl’s getting from his boss? Or maybe Richardson just lets Earl come to his parties for free.

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Classic! Earl and Glann as roomates. But where have I seen this before?

Oh wait:

On February 1st, Glenn Richardson was asked to remove himself from his place of residence; that request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that some day he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his friend, Earl Ehrhart. Several years earlier, Earl’s wife had thrown HIM out, requesting that HE never return. Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

6. GOPeach says:

Erick wrote: “Ah, see, I’ve been in bed with the flu.”

Thaaaaaaaat explains that “mood” you were in the other day! sigh

If you would have just said something, I would have sent you a big pot of chicken soup!

7. IndyInjun says:

What I would like is a 31 day quickie divorce from the Speaker.

As many GOPers who read PP and those incensed by his actions, this should be achievable.

At some point the Republicans in this state have to make a stand to show that they DO have some principles and ARE NOT like their DC counterparts whom the people despise.

8. nfire says:

it’s been awhile since i’ve been around here. but you guys are being pretty rough on a guy going through what must be a very difficult time in his life. cut him a break.

9. Chris says:

nfire – you missed Erick’s official pronouncement that to blog here you must hate the TaxJesus.

I’m guess thats why Earl vanished. I mean cummon – its not like being the #3 or #4 most powerful person in the GA House is more important than arguing w/ GOPeach or trying to see how many posts it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop cause wordpress to crash.

10. Icarus says:

“or trying to see how many posts it takes … to cause wordpress to crash.”

For the record, it is more than 1167.

11. IndyInjun says:

“or trying to see how many posts it takes … to cause wordpress to crash.”

“For the record, it is more than 1167.”

Yup, but once you reach that ‘lofty’ measure, licking your way to the center of a tootsie roll pop takes less time than for the page to load.

Only writing a tax reform bill on cocktail napkins takes longer.

12. Doug Deal says:

Indy,

The kid hasn’t been born yet (His due date was 2 days ago). My wife goes to the doctor tomorrow, and they may schedule an inducement or something, but as it stands, no Glenn Deal yet.

13. Doug Deal says:

Demonbeck,

Glad to have you back on PP posting regularly again.

I shall take “Dunn” under advisement. My wife’s maiden name is Love, and if the kid is born on the 14th, I was thinking Valentine Love Deal.

14. Demonbeck says:

Pretty good, if you don’t, though, I think it would be best to give the kid a middle name beginning with I – perhaps Icarus.

That would be I. Deal.

15. Icarus says:

Demonbeck,

In the thread that has no beginning and no end, we had a few suggestions for Baby Deal.

I’m still partial to Buckhead Icarus Deal. Since his “father” claims to be an Ohio State fan (when they’re winning, i.e. regular season), he would then be called Buck I.

16. Doug Deal says:

Well, baby update. The wife is getting a cesarean section on Friday (probably due to the gynormous head of one of the parents whose name will remain unspoken), so any wishes or prayers or whatever one might believe would be appreciated.

17. Rick Day says:

Are you going to watch? One of the biggest thrills of my life was watching that doctor slice my wife’s belly like a pig being prepped for the pit!

Yes, sir, and then the aroma of freshly cauterized human flesh. ZZZzzzzt!

Smells like fresh baby!

18. gatormathis says:

you could use a less bigoted name by only calling the child by one name (since it seems now calling someone by their complete name suggests bigotry) and simply use the politically correct:

“Deal”

or, you could use a more traditional, more commonly formatted, three place name, at the risk of being considered a bigot of course, and go with:

” Or No Deal”

if tribute is to be paid to the maternal side of the family, use the possibly bigoted, but very tributary:

” Love To Deal”

and last but not least, there is always the possibly bigoted, but very emotionally charged and heavily tributed(not to mention synonomous with what actually started all this commotion, the:

“Doug Love Deal” ( if it’s a male that is)

then there is the captalistic, t-shirt selling caption possibility of:

“Love Doug Deal”

(bigoted or not)

naming a kid, wow, what:

“An Or Deal”