General Assembly Quick Links

Senator David Shafer has an op-ed in the Athens Banner Herald on our upcoming border skirmish with Tennessee. My belief is a quick settlement with TN granting us XX million gallons of water to be stored in the Republic of Dade Reservoir is probably the best way to settle this.

I get quoted in an article about how we’d better hone up on those time management skills.

Lawmakers said something last week about how the DOR says that revenues are down 7% in the last few months. Meanwhile the General Assembly voted to spend $300 Million more of your dollars.

Finally State Rep. Sharon Beasley-Teague is under investigation for abusing her mileage per-diem.

1. The Comma Guy says:

Do the math on Beasley-Teague’s travels. One of the trips that WSB highlighted last night meant she averaged 17 hours of driving at 50 mph on that day. If she stopped and visited those places, she essentially worked a 24 hour day, with no rest. I’m thinking that yet another legislator just got caught with their hand in the till. I wonder if there will be any punishment?

2. CHelf says:

As far as the border issue is concerned, I’m wondering when the non-UGA crowd will start making fun of UGA ‘mathematics’ for this border error. I’m thinking the name Camak will resort to being used in the same manner as ‘Munson’ from the movie Kingpin.

3. StevePerkins says:

My belief is that Tennessee telling us to go f*&k ourselves, as they’ve done the last dozen or time we’ve brought it up over the past two centuries, is the most likely “settlement”.

Yeah, I know that states and Congress must give their consent for border changes… but any law school casebook you open is loaded with examples of courts constructing consent when they need it to achieve a certain outcome (the legal term is LITERALLY “constructive consent”!). Sure, Georgia has passed a resolution here and there griping about it, but they’ve gone two centuries without taxing or providing public services to this disputed area. That’s all a federal court would need to rule that the parties involved have given constructive consent to the status quo.

Whether or not a court chooses to go that way is largely a matter of politics and policy… basically, who the judges WANT to see win. Here in Georgia, we can’t even find the political will to tell people not to fill their swimming pools during a Level 4 drought, our state legislature is a glorified frat house… and during this crisis our government has been focused on resolutions supporting playoffs in college football and reciprocity from Florida regarding Bulldawg license plates.

We are a freaking joke right now, and I can’t see any federal court choosing to break in our direction vs. Tennessee’s in a court battle that comes down to policy determinations.

4. ChuckEaton says:

I don’t think there is any joke about it. As Senator Shafer mentioned, state lines have been changed before based on mistakes.

I think if you sincerely read the facts, including the point that the PSC regulates the disputed area (not Tennessee), you’d have to conclude that this is very realistic case.

I can’t speak for the folks that have filed the “complaints” before, but I know the current team we have on it is going to put up a good fight.

There are times in my role at the PSC we have policy issues and then there are other times it’s a strict legal issue. Even if I disagree with the law, it’s my job to enforce it. This border dispute doesn’t seem to be a policy issue.

Certainly access to the Tennessee River is not the only solution, but it’s a possible piece of it.

5. Bill Simon says:

Rugby,

Well, well, well..you HAVE come a long way, Baby! 5 years ago that comment of yours would have been “She’s black, so of course”…they will punish her.

6. Romegaguy says:

I vaguely recall in the early to mid 1990’s we settled a court battle with South Carolina on where the Georgia border is on that side of the state. Anybody else?

7. Icarus says:

Don’t remember all of the details, but it was essentially over a sand bar that developed in the middle of the Savannah River.

Once a private developer claimed ownership and was making noises that they were going to develop a port on it, GA and SC got together rather quickly and decided if they both owned it and jointly developed their own port, they wouldn’t have to deal with a third party/competitor.

I’m sure Bull/Demonbeck/Dr.Jay or some of the other locals down there know better details.