Facebook = Hotel California

I knew I never should have joined another Senator Shafer group on Facebook. From today’s NYTimes:

While the Web site (Facebook) offers users the option to deactivate their accounts, Facebook servers keep copies of the information in those accounts indefinitely. Indeed, many users who have contacted Facebook to request that their accounts be deleted have not succeeded in erasing their records from the network.

“It’s like the Hotel California,” said Nipon Das, 34, a director at a biotechnology consulting firm in Manhattan, who tried unsuccessfully to delete his account this fall. “You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.”

Full article here.

1. SpaceyG says:

As a front pager, I’ve taken the steps, sans committee, to launch the pre-emptives necessary to permanently, uh, neutralize Rogue. Take cover!

2. CobbGOPer says:

That’s why I don’t do Facebook or Myspace. Just another way for ill-intentioned people to try and take advantage of you.

3. ChuckEaton says:

I haven’t even read the article but I’m guess this is about a college guy who thought it would be funny to post a picture of himself passed out naked by a keg on his Facebook page. Now he’s a little uneasy about potential employers reviewing his Facebook account.

4. drjay says:

people forget–heck sometimes i even forget that the stuff you post on the internet isn’t like what you do in vegas–its pretty much out there into perpituity-you have to watch what you say and do –you are not sharing a secret w/ a friend when you blog or facebook or even post a question at cnn.com–that’s why so many folks on sites like this try to hide behind relatively anonymous posting handles–for instance a tv reporter from jax that was set to sav’h to cover the sugar refinery explosion posted a “cute little anecdote” on her personal blog about the lack of starbucks or other fast food joints in the small town of port wentworth and how they made a 22 mile round trip to get a starbucks before heading back to civilization in jacksonville that has now been linked on the sav’h paper’s forums and she is getting all sorts of traffic she probably did not anticipate when she made the entry, but i digress…

5. What is it about SpaceyG that brings out the haters? She’s hardly a bomb thrower yet some people feel the need to go after her every time she posts something. Did Spacey beat Andi and Rougue at poker or something? Where’s the love?

6. shep1975 says:

It’s not really another David Shafer group SpaceyG. I did this one without any prompting. It’s just a good bit of luck that the legislation the group is supporting was dropped by the good senator from the 48th.

7. SpaceyG says:

Thanks for coming to my defense here, Buzz. I certainly appreciate that. It’s all rather Freudian if you ask me.

There’s an Elvis Costello line that comes to mind regarding the immaturity of some men: “If it moves then you f*ck it. If it doesn’t move you stab it.”

8. Jace Walden says:

Rogue and Andisheh,

Look…I can’t really say much, because I have been known to post non-Georgia related material on this blog from time to time. But I have a point for both of you to consider:

Have you ever heard of the free market? The law of supply and demand? By paying SpaceyG’s posts any attention at all, be it through simply clicking on the post or commenting, you’re inadvertently supporting her continued front-page presence.

For instance, just by commenting on how “irrelevant” this post is, you’ve sparked a discussion of 6 comments (including this one) already discussing only the relevance or lack thereof. Nothing about what the post is or isn’t about. By commenting, you’re driving traffic to very threads you wish wouldn’t appear in the first place.

The same can be said for “clicking” on the post. Most blogs have counters that tell the blog owner how much traffic is being generated by each individual author, post, subject, etc. The more you get pissed off and want to tell SpaceyG about it, the more you perpetuate her front-page presence.

I guess if I had a point to make out of all of this, it would be to mind your own business and let the market sort this thing out. If there isn’t a demand for Spacey’s material, it will go away. Thank you.

9. drjay says:

does andi really not like spacey–i thought they just light heartededly picked at eachother–i guess i did not pick up genuine disdain…maybe they should use emoticons…

10. Rogue109 says:

Jace: So Erick would be more inclined to strip SpaceyG of front page access until she gets more on-topic if we all remain silent? While I have respect for you and Erick, I would tend to believe that outcome to be remote in possibility.

11. rugby fan says:

“But, who is Andisheh Nouraee?”

More importantly has he been sworn in to whatever it is he does?

Has he held any press conferences about his life?

Just asking the questions that need asking.

12. Buzz —

I pick at Grayson “SpaceyG” Daughters because her posts on Peach Pundit are poorly written and almost never about Georgia politics. Like I said in my (now deleted) comment above, her posts are off-topic and frequently indecipherable.

She is a discredit to the political viewpoints she allegedly espouses. She is the Colmes of Peach Pundit.

Jace Walden is right. Responding to Grayson’s posts only encourages her. Dogs standing by the dinner table usually stop begging if you ignore them.