Tom Graves

I hear Tom Graves is going to be speaking on the floor of the House soon, if he isn’t already.

[AUDIO] You can listen to the morning order here.

1. johnmartinforafreegeorgia says:

Jason, maybe it is because the Speaker is attending a funeral of one of his many friends that perished in the plane crash on Friday.

2. Icarus says:

Jason,

Don’t sweat it. This is the third day that the Speaker’s minions are trying to use someone else’s tragedy as an excuse to not criticize the Speaker’s actions. The Speaker has found time to sack any who would dare disagree with him, and yet it somehow is distasteful to point out that the man’s actions are contrary to the promises he made on his rise to power? Please.

3. DoubleDawg3 says:

Can someone post a brief recap of what he said…I missed it and can’t get my media player to load the session right now.

Thanks.

4. DoubleDawg3 says:

“GR seems not too many defenders or friends here”

It’s pretty hard to want to defend a big pile of dog crap, especially when that particular pile of dog crap believes it is the S-H-I-T!

5. Tommy_a2b says:

Tom Graves, for just creating the 216 group you are forever going to be one of my favorites. We need a Conservative wing of the Party and I am proud that its founder and many of its members reside in North GA. If ever there is anything I can do please feel free to ask.

P.S. If you wanna run for Speaker you have my support!!

6. Mike Hauncho says:

I think you will see Burkhalter take over the Speakers role pretty soon. Maybe not this session but likely next year. Tom Graves would make a great Speaker Pro Tem.

7. Tommy_a2b says:

FOR EVERYONES ENJOYMENT-

Remarks by Representative Tom Graves
    February 5, 2008

Mr. Speaker,

Sometimes it’s good for us as members of this House to stop and reflect upon history in order to find guidance for today. And in doing so, I was reminded of a story about young Representative in this same chamber in the 1960’s.

“Rising from his seat, the legislator had asked for the floor on a point of personal privilege. When the Speaker granted his request, the young legislator slowly started down the aisle for his long walk to the well of the House. The closer he got, the quieter the noisy chamber became. You could have heard a pin bounce off the carpet as he moved one step at a time. . . You see…Just a few days before, as a second term representative he was fired as a committee chairman.” Even back then, news traveled fast around the Capitol.

He wasn’t stripped of his rank and ribbons in person either. He had to read about it in the morning newspaper. The chamber was silent as he was about to speak in anticipation of the explosive response. ‘Mr. Speaker,’ he said, arriving at the podium. ‘Miiiiiissssterrr Speeeeaker,’ ‘Mister Speaker, there comes a time in everybody’s life that a man has to do – and say – things that he does not want to do.”

He paused. Here it comes, people thought. Then he grinned. ‘But this is neither that time, nor that place . . . .’ As you can imagine…Most of the members were surprised and disappointed. They all thought they had ringside tickets to a good fight. All the Coach really wanted to do was come forward and remind the legislators of that night’s basketball game against the Senate.

The young representative, the coach of the House basketball team, was the man that we know as Speaker Tom Murphy. Speaker Murphy understood timing and the absolute importance of the independence and integrity of the House of Representatives.

Mr. Speaker, history is a wonderful thing; it serves as a compass for the present and a guide to the future. Make no mistake… it has not gone unnoticed…this is a low point and a dark day in the history of the House

However, as President Reagan once said: “Peace is not the absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means.” That said, this is the time and this is the place to put principle over politics; this is the time and this is the place to produce sound public policy instead of political posturing; this is the time and this is the place to make Georgia proud.

In other words … its time to lead. Mr. Speaker, I yield the well.

8. DoubleDawg3 says:

I just hope there’s a revolution in the House…I’d love to see Glenn Richardson’s office in the “Igloo”.

9. albert says:

Mr. Speaker,,,, as one great philosopher told me, “be careful who you piss off. Friends come and go but enemies pile up.”

People don’t like arrogant people.