Super Tuesday Open Thread

UPDATE: 3:20 pm Per WSBTV: Obama Wants Metro Atlanta Poll Kept Open Late

UPDATE: 2:38 pm Huckabee takes the West Virginia caucus (source: Twitter).

UPDATE: 2:09 pm: From WSBTV:

Some voters report waiting up to two hours to vote at some polling places across
metro Atlanta.

There’s also an Insider Advantage poll showing Huckabee climbing into a tie with McCain in Georgia. IIRC, IA has shown McCain, Romney and now Huckabee with the lead or a tie for the lead over the past few days. In other words, Georgia is up in the air on the Republican side of the ledger.

UPDATE 1:08 pm: Local blogger Shelbinator reports from Obama HQ.

Record turnout predicted:

Political experts are forecasting a record voter turnout in Georgia for a presidential primary. One says as many as 700,000 could vote in the GOP primary and 800,000 in the Democratic contest. The vote has the potential to surpass the 1988 presidential primary, when about 40 percent turned out.

State voter rolls swelled in the final weeks before the registration deadline. In all, some 5.2 million Georgians were eligible to vote, more than ever before, and early voting was about five times higher than it was in the Democratic contest in 2004, when nearly 50,000 people either voted in advance or cast absentee ballots.

I voted this morning at Taylor Elementary in Lawrenceville. There was not a line, but there was a steady stream of people. My precinct generally has decent turnout but it’s not one of the highest turnout precincts in Gwinnett.

What’s going on out there?

UPDATE: I just checked my email and saw this from WSBTV

Polls Open; Voting Machine Problems Reported
8:15 UPDATE: Voting machine problems reported at MLK Towers and poll on Panola Rd.
8:00 UPDATE: Heavy turnout reported at DeKalb’s Rainbown Elementary School.
More than 100 voters lined up before polls opened.

1. GOPeach says:

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE is A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE is A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE

Oh did I mention that –

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE is A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE

I have been working campaigns for 40 years – long before your most of your dad started to shave ….

I know the old formula – 1 hit, 2 hits, AND the 3rd hit is the weekend before the election – Saturday before the Tuesday election is “final hit”…..

Romney’s ” final hit” to pair HUCKABEE with McCain will back fire! Romney is to never be trusted – HE IS A JOKE!

2. GOPeach says:

Had to call the police on Ron Paul supporters – So did some of my friends. These people are breaking the law. What a way to start a “revolution”. That’s too bad. Ron Paul seems nice – his supporters are zealots who have no courtesy.

3. GOPeach says:

Even after receiving the endorsement of Georgia’s two United States Senators, John McCain finds himself in a tight three-way race in Georgia. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds McCain attracting 31% of the vote while Mike Huckabee picks up 30% and Mitt Romney gets 27%.

HUCKABEE at 30%!!!!!

Hummmm I wonder if McCain or Romney would want to serve as HUCKABEE’s VP? …..

4. Decaturguy says:

HUGE turnout in my 90% Democratic precinct in Decatur. Must have been 100 people waiting in line at 8AM – took about 30 minutes to get through to vote.

5. Old Vet says:

I always vote absentee ballot. It’s more convenient, there’s a paper trail, and I don’t even have to prove I’m alive, much less show a government approved ID.

6. BTW – Obama is not black. His mother is white.

What does this have to do with anything? Frankly I’m sick and tired of you coming on here, bashing candidates based on their religion and now their race. Shut the heck up.

7. Cameron says:

Does it concern any Republicans that the Democrats have consistantly produced higher turnout numbers during the primary season? If the numbers are correct Democrats in GA will have 100,000 more voters than Republicans. I’m not sure whether it is a sign of things to come, or merely primary excitement.

8. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

GOPEACH Says:
    These people are breaking the law. What a way to start a “revolution”.

Ummmm, isn’t that how all revolutions start? By breaking existing laws.

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE is A VOTE FOR Al Qaida……….just kiddin’

9. Icarus says:

Demon,

You’ve been gone so long, it’s like I can’t even remember any songs from the 80’s anymore.

Don’t be a stranger.

10. Romegaguy says:

Loyalty actually a vote for Phuckabee is a vote for the Taliban (sorry Buzz).

8 hours and 15 minutes until the meltdown begins

11. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Romeguy….you’re right…the American Taliban…No need to point fingers, they know who they are.

12. StevePerkins says:

I laughed and rolled my eyes when Tommy first started suggesting that GOPeach be banned from the site, but I’ve come to be right there with him. I have no problem with fellow posters that oppose me on every single political issue there is, so long as they’re basically coherent. GOPeach is completely indecipherable… and ruins almost every thread she participates in, by posting 68 comments to make a point that could be said in one comment. She makes this site a drag to read on many days, and is all-around worse than anything Bull Moose ever did to get his old ban.

Getting back to the actual topic, things were pretty quiet at my Duluth-area polling station around 9:00. The Ron Paul guys (they didn’t identify themselves as such, but I recognized one of them) had set up an “exit polling” station to make sure the Diebold results matched the physical head-count. I only had a couple of people ahead of me in line, but I went at 9:00 because the rush hour for this precinct is between 7:00 and 8:00. I was told that turnout then was a bit higher than usual.

13. Joy says:

First time I’ve voted in N. Fulton. What a pleasant change after voting in E. DeKalb.

That was the fastest I’ve made it through any polling place. Five minutes, part of which was a chat with the lovely senior citizen at the sign-in table about my iPod. 35 minutes total, if you include the time spent jogging to and from my polling location.

14. Tea Party says:

How many of y’all think Obama results might be higher as a result of GOP’ers voting for him, and against Hils?

15. Tea Party,

I don’t think many Republicans would cross over in Georgia today simply because the GOP race is still very competitive. Obama has a sizeable lead in Ga. according to every poll I’ve seen. A few GOP crossovers isn’t going to have any impact.

16. Joy says:

If GOPeach would use her enthusiasm to create one fantastic post, in place of the blizzard of nonsense, I’d be against the ban.

There are so many interesting comment threads I stop reading, just as soon as I see three or more GOPeach comments in a row.

It’s littering.

17. GOPeach says:

Some of my neighbors are voting for Obama because he is not really black! LOL!!!

Buzz…. Seasoned Suthun Bay uls are funny…

Not everyone is politically correct like all the little pundits with their little law degrees.

18. There was a HUGE turnout in Ellenwood district 1 in Clayton County. It took about 90 minutes from parking to casting my two votes (Presidential Preference and SPLOST). powerPAC spent a lot of time and money this weekend to get a high voter turnout in the area.

After I did some research following an unwelcome flyer on my car, it turns out they are backing Obama.

19. Cameron says:

I was just looking at some of the polls on realclearpolitics.com and I noticed that Huckabee is actually running pretty strong in many states. In most of the competitive states, other than CA, Huckabee is running second behind McCain (Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, etc.). With this being the said isn’t a vote for Romney actually a vote for McCain instead of a vote for Huckabee being a vote for McCain? (Disclaimer: don’t write me off as a Huckabee fanatic. I did not vote for him).

20. GOPeach says:

Cameron- Exactly!

A vote for Romney is actually a vote for McCain…. finally- somebody actually has a brain.

You know… this is telling us all – it’s not about MONEY and it is not about WAR… it is about PEOPLE!

21. GOPeach says:

Is there Hucka-surge in the South on Election Day?

Compiled from InsiderAdvantage and Southern Political Report staff

February 5, 2008 — Mike Huckabee is making a furious charge in some Deep South states, and his efforts are showing up late in our polls. Whether he has run out of time, or whether he is about to pave yet another hairpin turn on the road to the White House will be known in a matter of hours. Our Monday InsiderAdvantage/Majority Opinion Research polls show Huckabee pulling even with John McCain in Georgia, and surging into the lead in Alabama.

Here are the overnight Georgia numbers:

Mike Huckabee 32%
    John McCain 32%
    Mitt Romney 29%
    Ron Paul 3%
    Other 1%
    Undecided 3%

The poll surveyed 1,212 likely voters in today’s Georgia Republican presidential primary. The margin of error is 2.7%. All data have been weighted for age, race, gender and party affiliation.Here are the Alabama numbers:

Mike Huckabee 38%
    John McCain 29%
    Mitt Romney 20%
    Ron Paul 6%
    Other 1%
    Undecided 6%

The poll surveyed 566 likely voters in today’s Alabama Republican presidential primary. The margin of error is 3.8%. All data have been weighted for age, race, gender and party affiliation.

Also, the Alabama Democratic primary has become too close to call. Following a rough trend across the nation, an earlier lead for Hillary Clinton has dwindled by the day, and now Obama has nosed into a small lead.

Our Monday night poll ended up:

Barack Obama 45%
    Hillary Clinton 43%
    Other 3%
    Undecided 9%

The poll surveyed 435 likely voters in today’s Alabama Democratic presidential primary. The margin of error is 4.5%. All data have been weighted for age, race, gender and party affiliation.

22. Cameron says:

Don’t take my comment for an endorsement. It was just a thought I had while looking at some of the state by state polls. I have heard nothing but the talking point that Huckabee is “not viable” and “he is taking votes away from Romney.” Well, maybe its actually the other way around.

23. Jace Walden says:

Let me get this straight…a vote for Romney is actually a vote for McCain, but a vote for the ignorant, mouth-breathing hick Tax Hikabee is a vote for Tax Hikabee?

24. eburke says:

Huckabee is leading in Georgia and Alabama in the overnight polls. It may be a two man race when today is over but the two might just be McCain and Huckabee.

Jace, keep it positive and tell why to vote for someone. Your insults to Governor Huckabee just turn me off to your opinion.

I heart Huckabee.

25. Jace Walden says:

I’m glad you heart Huckabee, Eburke. And I appreciate and respect your perspective on the matter. You should vote for whomever best aligns with your values.

My personal opinion, of Mike Huckabee is that he’s a dumb, mouth-breathing hick. I also believe that he’s a tax-hiking, big-government liberal, and I won’t vote for him.

I hope you appreciate and respect my perspective on this matter.

Sincerely,

Jace

26. souldrift says:

“Why does it seem that voting machine troubles are almost always in Democrat areas?????”

I have the same question, when most of the idiots seem to live in Republic areas. How can that be??

27. joltenjoe says:

Mike Huckabee.

Yes he cut taxes, but the overall tax burden went up (so he is shading the truth)

Supports NCLB (Big government)

Wants to give FEMA its own Dept. (Making the guys who faked the news interview bigger and more important)

Nationwide smoking ban???

Overall big government, big taxes, big spending..

28. GOPeach says:

Cameron-

You made your point ( as someone who did not vote for Gov. Huckabee) – nobody even thought for a moment you were endorsing him….

I was simply commending you for THINKING. That’s all!

29. SugarHillDad says:

My friends in the House are telling me that leadership had a meeting on the punishment of independent thinking Reps. A powerful chairman asked the Speaker to save face in other ways. Which I was told he was considering until our good friends Earl Ehrhart and Mark Burkhalter stepped in to remind the Speaker of the “wisdom of having less friends.” The less members who have power the easier it is to control. I hear that they both had a fit and demanded that the “out of line” Reps be punnished. Of course our very patient Speaker sided with Earl and Mark.

Just one thought I would like to send the speaker. The less friends you have the harder it is to get elected to say,… the position of Speaker,… maybe. Just a thought.

30. RoswellJim says:

I like Huckabee’s communications style and his support of the FairTax and thought up until last night that I would vote for him. I figured it would be a statement vote. Then two things happened.

One, I got a robocall from Common Sense Issues blasting Romney. CSI is a very vocal anti-abortion, pro-life (you pick) 501(c) boiler room operation out of Northern Virgina. Their call reminded me of my qualms about Mikee on social issues.

Second, I realize that voting for Huckabee will dilute Romney’s results and I can’t tolerate John McCain winning because of a split vote.

I think the Democrats and their media co-horts realize that neither Clinton (too devisive and too ‘old school’) or Obama (too little expereience and untested) can win in November. They are driving opinion toward McCain to get the Republican most closely aligned with their beliefs.

Call me a conspiracy nut case, if you must. If it’s not a real plan, then it’s the result.

BTW, I predict a Clinton/Obama versus Romney/? race in November.

31. Jace Walden says:

Oh Peach, get over it. I’ve never given any indication that I had any positive thoughts about Huckabee. In fact, I’ve stated numerous times what I think about him.

That didn’t seem to matter to you when he was polling high, but now that he is set to lose every state but Arkansas, you seem to change your tune.

32. GOPeach says:

My phones are ringing … freinds FINALLY relizing it is Super Tues. and wanting to know who to vote for… LOL!

They called the THE RIGHT ONE Baby!

33. debbie0040 says:

If McCain does go on to capture the nomination, it will cap one of the most remarkable comebacks in American history.

Ironically, the comeback was made possible largely because of strategic decisions made by McCain’s biggest rival for the votes of moderate Republicans—Rudy Giuliani. Giuliani’s decision to stay out of the early states let McCain capture the moderate vote while several candidates fought over the conservative vote. That let McCain gain some traction and ultimately led to Giuliani’s precipitous decline in Florida yielding yet another victory for McCain. Not only that, it was Giuliani’s team that pushed to have several northeastern states adopt a winner take all format for awarding delegates. Those states are now the ones likely to put McCain over the top.

34. DoubleDawg3 says:

“dum, mouth-breathing hick”…huh, kind of like most people I’ve met from Blue Ridge, Georgia? Get back to your roots man! Just joking of course – Fannin County is a lovely place, complete with a Rebel painted on the wall of the high school gym and one pretty cool drive-in-theatre

35. DoubleDawg3 says:

That should be “dumb”…I suppose this North Georgia boy should check his spelling before he posts.

36. Jace Walden says:

DoubleDawg,

I have stated plenty of times that I too am a dumb, mouth-breathing hick. That’s one of the reasons I oppose Huckabee. No one wants one of us guys running things.

It is a lovely place. Where are you from in North Georgia?

37. DoubleDawg3 says:

Also (hate to post 3 times in a row), I’ll give some support to the facts that Jason Pye has on his site, had I not voted for Huckabee, I would have voted for McCain.

Also, to counter Ann Coulter, if Mitt gets the GOP nomination, I’ll vote for Obama if he wins the Dem nomination or I’ll just not vote for either if it’s between Mitt & Hillary. UNLESS, of course, Romney picks some awesome VP candidate (I’m talking like Newt Gingrich) – at which point I’d probably vote for him.

38. Jace Walden says:

DoubleDawg,

Our high school mascot was a confederate flag. And car horns that played “Dixie” were more common than normal car horns. But this was back in the day…

39. Icarus says:

When Jace starts referring to things that were “back in the day”, then I must be really, really old.

40. DoubleDawg3 says:

Yeah – I seem to remember “Country Boy Can Survive” playing more than a few times at the football games in Fannin County.

To answer your question – I’m from Dawson County, which wasn’t really much different back in the day either (Camo suits were seen at our Prom, yes, more than 1). Although now it’s a lot different due to the suburban sprawl thing.

41. Doug Deal says:

Jace,

Worthless poll. All national polls are worthless because no delegates are decided by national votes, everything is local.

The backup data link at cnn is also busted, so I can’t reference the exact numbers, but my guess that the number of Huckabee voters were no more than 15-20% of the people polled. Thus 900 people becomes 150. Then, they polled in proportion to the various states populations, so many were polled in places like NY and NJ, where McCain has an overwelming lead among the liberals.

Further, since it was a national poll, it probably included independents.

Instead of filtering aged data to find one that supports this argument, why not reference the live actions of people participating in a caucus, casting votes that actually matter.

The McCain people are interested in keeping this shill in the race because it helps McCain in the states that matter.

42. DoubleDawg3 says:

I disagree. I think the 20-30% of voters that Huckabee is still getting in many states, is a group of voters that are truly believers in Mike Huckabee and his “Wal Mart Republican” (to borrow a phrase).

Should Huckabee drop out, I think you will see this group of voters shift overwhelmingly to John McCain, b/c the Huckabee backers have seen that there are some major points of contention between Huckabee & Romney.

43. GOPeach says:

Almost heaven, west virginia
    Blue ridge mountains
    Shenandoah river –
    Life is old there
    Older than the trees
    Younger than the mountains
    Growin like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
    To the place I belong
    West virginia, mountain momma
    Take me home, country roads

All my memories gathered round her
    Miners lady, stranger to blue water
    Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
    Misty taste of moonshine
    Teardrops in my eye

Country roads, take me home
    To the place I belong
    West virginia, mountain momma
    Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice
    In the mornin hour she calls me
    The radio reminds me of my home far away
    And drivin down the road I get a feelin
    That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

Country roads, take me home
    To the place I belong
    West virginia, mountain momma
    Take me home, country roads

Country roads, take me home
    To the place I belong
    West virginia, mountain momma
    Take me home, country roads
    Take me home, now country roads
    Take me home, now country roads

44. DoubleDawg3 says:

Point being – the MSM has done their best to make this a 2 man race and Huckabee has gotten little to no media attention as of late, which coupled with his low $ totals and inability to advertise, means that most undecided / independent GOP voters have already shifted from Huckabee to Romney, if they believe that McCain is not a conservative and therefore Romney is the only candidate with a chance at winning that is a conservative.

However – Huckabee’s group of supporters that are still behind him (which is a decent amount) are more likely to be “die-hard” Huckabee backers (like GOPeach) and these voters are the ones who are well aware of the problems Huckabee has with Romney and vice versa, thus, don’t count on these voters giving Romney any ounce of support if Huckabee drops out.

45. Jace Walden says:

Doug,

I will point out that although my data is “aged”, you’re not even basing your opinion on anything other than the conjecture of a West Virginia blogger.

Please, when you provide me with some proof that Huckabee is stealing votes from Romney, I’d be happy to entertain those numbers.

My opinion is that most of the people who support Huckabee are the same type of people who “don’t want a Mormon in the White House”.

As I said though, I would be willing to entertain some “data” contrary to that position.

46. Jace Walden says:

Furthermore, if it is more than just conjecture on the part of the West Virginia blogger, and the McCain camp did in fact “order” its delegates to vote for Huckabee, this proves nothing in the way of Huckabee being a McCain lacky. It only proves that McCain is using Huckabee.

But, since the matter of McCain “ordering” his delegates to support Huckabee is conjecture, who is to say that they wouldn’t have supported Huckabee without such an order?

47. DoubleDawg3 says:

Exactly Jace…the Huckabee voters for McCain thing works the same way for McCain voters for Huckabee. Basically, there’s a MAJORITY of GOP voters that are in the “Anybody but Mitt” camp now. Hate it for you Romney fans, but the fact is, most voters just don’t trust him or just don’t like him.

48. debbie0040 says:

I am in in the anybody but Huckabee camp. Huckabee makes John McCain look like Ronald Reagan.

I was shocked to get an email from a hard core Huckabee supporter that went with Romney to stop McCain. I think you will a great deal of that and it would probably go the other way too. (Some Huckabee supporters voting for McCain to stop Romney)

I think the ex military vote will go 80% for McCain.

Interesting analysis on RedState:

49. debbie0040 says:

I am sure the McCain delegates voted for Huckabee to stop Romney. It was good strategy that benefited McCain

50. Jace Walden says:

Jason,

You might want to save that one for when I decide to run for office.

Which I doubt I will EVER do, as I have said way too many things on this and other blogs that are very offensive.

51. Jace Walden says:

Jason,

Even you had to admit, I was a hoss by getting up at 4:30 the next morning to go hit the gym. All of the Jager and Beer must have acted as some sort of fuel.

52. GAWire says:

Every campaign they report “the highest turnout in history …” blah blah blah. It will be typical turnout.

Also, think about who Romney’s voters are – professional, higher income, employed conservatives. When do most of them typically vote? Early in the am before work and after work before the polls close. No one’s calling this race for a while.

53. DoubleDawg3 says:

You know, it just occurred to me – Mitt Romney could have probably had a significant jump in Georgia if he’d run some tv ads with one very prominent member of the Mormon community…Dale Murphy. Seems like he’s still pretty popular among most voting age males in Georgia, females too for that matter.

Wonder if he’s backing Mitt? I’m betting yes.

54. Doug Deal says:

Jace, what part of “They held up signs telling their delegates to vote for Huckabee” is an opinion of a blogger? This is colloquaolly referred to as a fact.

It is true that there is an element that does not want a Mormon in the white house, but many of these people would not vote.

As the frontrunner, McCain has a strong anti-McCain component. Having Huckabee in the race gives another option to this anti-McCain crowd. This enabled McCain to “win” by getting 35% pluralty numbers in states (with the 10% going to Paul) and claim victory, instead of needing 50% majorities, that likely would have gone to someone else.

So the msm builds this “momentum” meme which turns elections into nothing more than voting for the announced winner.

55. GOPeach says:

Pfffffffffffst –

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze –

To VOTE for HUCKABEE is to VOTE for HUCKABEE!!!!

Oh and Debbster – although we would welcome anyone’s vote — we never counted on yours – just so you know.

56. shelbinator says:

Man, my MTV reporting has been pretty unfair and imbalanced. Anyone wanna tell me where there are some Republicans or (the army of he who shall not be named) hanging out in town (I ain’t goin’ OTP, sorry) that I could go talk to with my N95? Shoot me a short text msg-sized email to supertextday at shelbinator.com

57. Jace Walden says:

Doug,

Maybe I missed it, but in the link you provided, I couldn’t find anything that said “They held up signs telling their delegates to vote for Huckabee”.

Maybe I just missed it. All I saw was this:

“but I’d imagine that the Huckabee folks will be courting the McCain people hardcore as they look to keep the delegates out of Romney’s hands”

“It looks like the Huckster could win this round of voting and take the delegates, thereby keeping them out of Romney’s camp. Good strategy by the McCain people.”

“McCain supporters might be doing as much for their candidate by voting for Huckabee as they would for him if they had actually managed to win this thing.”

All three are pure conjecture, Doug.

But please here me, even if McCain ordered his followers to do this, it proves NOTHING. All it shows is that McCain’s supporters do what he tells them to do. It says NOTHING about Huckabee’s supporters and why they support Huckabee.

Please, Doug, I’m honestly trying to understand what “facts” you’re basing this opinion on. Please help me out.

58. Jace Walden says:

Fair enough.

But it still says absolutely NOTHING about Huckabee’s supporters. I want someone to show me some evidence that Huckabee is taking away votes from Romney. Anything, please.

I put up a poll that suggested the opposite, but Doug said it was “worthless” and “aged”. Well, until I see some evidence to the contrary, I’m going to have to assume that someone on here doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

59. Doug Deal says:

Bah, I forgot to spell check my last post before posting and I intentionally spelled one semi phonetically just to move on without looking up the word. Oh well.

Anyway, I am far from a Romney fan, and I even think McCain is the most likely Republican to win in November, but he is the wrong man to be in office.

Does anyone really think that his appointments to the Supreme Court would be good ones, considering his disdain for the Constitutional protections he showed with McCain-Feingold?

With him as President, is there anything that will be offered on immigration other than his tired old amnesty scheme?

With his penchant for at times working almost exclusively with Dems in the Senate, what sort of whacky legislation will get through while they still control Congress? McCain takes things personally, and with what talk radio says about him, is it time for the Fairness Doctrine to come back?

He has revealed his support of environmental schemes, which could lead to disastrous economic problems for the USA, based on over-hyped junk science. Is this who everyone wants?

If we had to “settle” this time around, why couldn’t it be Rudy? Oh yeah, abortion is the only thing that matters, that’s right.

60. griftdrift says:

I meant vote for Huckabee of course.

And it doesn’t mean I disagree with the analysis you put up earlier.

By the way Beck was just on CNN ginning up the OMGZNOTMCCAIN hysteria.

61. Jace Walden says:

Doug,

Here’s some more “aged data” for you to mull over:

The Iowa Caucuses:

Huckabee: 34.3%
    Romney: 25.3%
    McCain: 13.1%

Who was stealing votes from whom, here? Even with Huckabee in the race, Romney managed to beat McCain by almost double the percentage points.

62. Jace Walden says:

Doug,

I’m in agreement with you. I’m not a fan of Romney or McCain. Then again, I wasn’t a big fan of the guy who milked our nation’s greatest tradgedy for his personal gain either.

63. Doug Deal says:

Jace,

It wasn’t worthless because you put it up, it is worthless because it was a national poll, which mean nothing when talking about primary elections. Fox, like every other network, dumbs down everything to a national horserace. McCain’s 30 point lead in NewYork means nothing in California. (Also a week is an eternity in politics, so it is a bit “aged”).

If you had posted a poll in California, Missouri or whatever close state that showed the same thing, you would have had a point.

64. Romegaguy says:

A VOTE for PHUCKABEE is a vote for INBREEDING

Way to go West Virginia

And not that dress doesnt make you look fat. You are fat.

2 hours until the meltdown begins

65. debbie0040 says:

It was in McCain’s best interest to get his supporters to vote against his main rival. Nothing wrong with that strategy. Romney would have done the same thing.

I think Huckabee is running for VP now. His staying in hurts both Romney and McCain. I have heard from die hard Huckabee supporters that voted Romney in order to stop McCain. I think the Huckabee voters that would swing to the Romney camp will do so today.

Huckabee’s base is made up of evangelical Christians. Many of them have a prejudice against any religion that is not Christian. They will not vote for a Mormon and hence would go to McCain.

As for Huckabee being a VP, I don’t think that will happen. The nominee is not going to pick a VP that will over shadow him. The nominee wants to be the main focus. Huckabee would over shadow the nominee just by virtue of his personality . We went through the same thing with Bush 41 in 1988 and Jack Kemp. Most of the delegates preferred Kemp but Bush picked a relative unknown in Dan Quayle.

There are other suitable candidates for VP that could attract conservative voters and not over shadow McCain.

66. GOPeach says:

If Huckabee can score a few more primary and caucus wins before the night is done — particularly in southern and border states such as Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee or Missouri — he could do serious damage to the Romney campaign’s argument that the former Massachusetts governor is the serious conservative alternative to McCain.

67. Romegaguy says:

If PHUCKABEE was to win all of the delegates from all of the states he would be the nominee but that wont happen

68. GOPeach says:

Debster –

“die hard Huckabee supporters that voted Romney “……………….

You are kidding – right? Do you know the meaning of ” die hard “? …. It means the do not jump from campaign to campaign – They are LOCKED IN this thing ….

DIE HARD HUCKABEE SUPPORTERS will never have to say to their kids and grandkids they are sorry for campaigning for a GREAT MAN WITH CHARACTER…. who made people laugh and listen to Truth and who never apologized for their FAITH~!

69. RoswellJim says:

I agree that Mike Huckabee is staying in so he can take his delegates from today and cash them in for a VEEP slot. Given what Mitt just said about the unholy alliance between Huckabee and McCain over the WV caucus, he’s going to have to need a LOT of delegates to win over those two. But, of course we all remember that Bush I characterized Regan’s economic policies as voodo and still ended up as VEEP.

It’s going to be an interesting night and it’s good to see Georgia playing such an upfront role.

70. RoswellJim says:

Real quick. I don’t apologize for my faith and I did basically switch (in my own mind) from Huckabee to Romney. This is not an election about faith. It about maintaining leadership and being the driving force behind the changes needed in the country. In other words, it’s about who’s more electable.

71. Doug Deal says:

debbie,

I don’t expect McCain to pick a decent VP, in fact, I imagine he will pick some RINO. However, if he picked John Kasich former Buget Committee Chairman from Ohio, and one of the last true fiscal conservatives, I would forgive everything and support him wholeheartedly.

72. Doug Deal says:

Rosewell,

I disagree, I think McCain is more electable, but he still needs to lose. The MSM has touted McCain as the independent maverick Republican so much over the last 8 years; it will be hard for them to undo that in the general election.

As much as people like to pretend that it is their base that wins elections, it truly is the “independents” that win or lose it. That’s why the Dems lost so badly all of those years with people like Mondale who were so popular with the base, but won handedly with someone like Clinton who was less offensive to “independents”.

Whoever captures that middle 30% wins it.

73. GOPeach says:

Everyone keeps putting a “P” in from of Gov. Huckabee’s must have a secret attraction to him… it seems quite lude and perverted especially coming from the daughter of a Baptist pastor.

RoswellJim – You were never a “DIE HARD HUCKABEE SUPPORTER” if you switched horses in the middle of the stream like that…. I’m just saying –

74. GOPeach says:

I was talking on the phone and typing…rrrrr

* Everyone who keeps putting a “P” in from of Gov. Huckabee’s name must have a secret attraction to him in a perverted kind of way.

75. souldrift says:

Debbie, that “backroom deal” accusation from Romney was talked about (no surprise here) on Hannity this afternoon.

What a whiny little brat. I really don’t think conservatives are “splitting” between Romney and Huckabee: Either they’re too dumb to know what Huckabee really is (a conservative populist) or they’re splitting to Huckabee because of bias against Mormons.

Either way, I wouldn’t want to be counted among that camp. What a pathetic bunch the “Christian Conservatives” appear to be right now.

76. GOPeach says:

Souldrift-

What you and Debster fail to know is a thing called RESOLVE. We Huckabee Supporters know where he ( personally ) is coming from and we trust THAT! … Now he also understands that if 80% of the voters ( as they did in AK. when THEY not HE raised taxes) …he complies with THE PEOPLE! POWER to the PEOPLE!

You guys are thinking WAY WAY too deep! The average voter listened to Gov. Huckabee on this site http://www.HucksArmy.com and made a choice to vote for someone THEY TRUSTED.

All you Huckabee Haters are in the dark on this one.

77. Cameron says:

Isn’t it funny how Hannity spends all day and night talking about how Huckabee isn’t a conservative. Then he tells Huckabee to get out of the race because he is splitting the conservative vote. If Huckabee is a “liberal” then why is he getting conservative votes?

78. Cameron says:

Excuse me, its not just Hannity but also everyone else that got the same talking points memo from the Romney Campaign.

79. Jason Pye says:

If Huckabee is a “liberal” then why is he getting conservative votes?

He is referring to his liberal fiscal record, and Hannity is absolutely right about that.

The reason pHuck is getting “conservative votes” is because he is a Christian conservative or as I like to put it…a social authoritarian.

80. Cameron says:

The point I was trying to make is that calling Huckabee or any of the Republican candidates a blanket liberal is factually dishonest. None of these candidates are ideologically pure conservatives by any means, however, to call any of them liberal is nonsense.

81. IndyInjun says:

Cam –

The GOP; except for Ron Paul, Jim DeMint, Tom Coburn and the Republican Study Group; are all liberals…..The Dems, except for the Blue Dogs and Senator Webb, are all communists.

Choose your poison.

82. Cameron says:

IndyInjun,

You have a point. I should re-state my earlier comment. Either they are all (McCain, Romney, and Huckabee) liberal or they are all not.

Your answer is obvious and has alot of truth to it.

I would love to see Sen. Coburn as VP. That is one of the few Rep. I could get excited about.

83. GAWire says:

GOPeach,

Remember when you were supporting Ralph Reed just the same as you are talking about Huckabee? Remember?!?

Are you trying to make some point by supporting loser candidates?

84. IndyInjun says:

joe,

I restricted my group to the DC crowd. In another thread, I remarked on how conservative Mark Sanford is. I would even admit that some of our Georgia GOP pols are conservative.

hahahahaha….yeah I suppose there are a few folks who ‘only’ are socialists in the Dem party.

My low point in this election cycle was when former governor Mark Warner decided to run for Senator instead of POTUS on the Dem side.

He may have been our only hope.

85. GOPeach says:

GAYWIRE-

You were saying???????????

I support PLENTY OF WINNERS Sweetie!

Congressman Paul Broun … HELLO!!!

And GEORGIA’S GOP FAV, MIKE HUCKABEE!!!

Hey… there will be some other people running for the STATE HOUSE and SENATE I will backing…. AND they will NOT loose.

86. GAWire says:

Peach,

Exactly as I was saying … of course Huckabee lost. You’re funny to think a win in GA means anything. Everyone’s acting like we have the most delegates or most deterministic voter base. He won four states. If we’re celebrating that, then we have to say Romney had a good night too.

I’m not sure why/how people think a baptist minister (or one-term State Senator for that matter) knows how to take over our military in a time of war. Or someone that doesn’t understand what the exchange rate is can help our economy.

He’s done and you’ve supported another loser. Luckily, my girl took CA, which will hopefully give her enough needed!