203,620

That is number individuals who took advantage of advance voting in Georgia:

Secretary of State Karen Handel announced today voter turnout figures from the Georgia Presidential Preference Primary advance voting week. Voters were able to cast ballots at their county’s advance voting centers from Monday, January 28 through Friday, February 1, 2008.

“These numbers demonstrate Georgian’s interest in the Presidential Primary as well as their interest in the convenience of advance voting,” said Secretary Handel.

Monday – 22,456
Tuesday – 34,651
Wednesday – 38,073
Thursday – 42,679
Friday – 65,761
Total Advance Week Voters – 203,620

In addition to these early voters, 44,277 people have cast absentee ballots, either by mail or in office. To date, nearly 248,000 absentee and in-person advance votes have been cast in Georgia’s Presidential Preference Primary.

Secretary Handel also anticipates a large turn-out on Election Day, Tuesday, February 5, 2008. Handel projects turnout will be in excess of 30 percent.

“The nomination contests in each party appear highly competitive,” Handel said.

Voters will probably experience lines at polling places during peak times, which are historically from 7:00 a.m. until 9:30 a.m., 4:30 p.m. until 7:00 pm, and during the mid-day lunch hour.

Of course every single person was disenfranchised by the ID requirement.

1. ToddH says:

The ID requirement was quite troublesome as well. I had to physically remove my drivers license from my wallet and hand it to a poll worker for their inspection and then, when it was returned, I had to once more expend valuable energy in replacing said drivers license into said wallet. It was quite tiresome, troublesome, and I wasted about ten seconds in performing the unnecessary action.

2. GodHatesTrash says:

Todd, your extra effort was worth it if it keeps a few thousand coloreds from voting. It might be close come November.

3. Bill Simon says:

I see no way a score of “31-17” can be derived from these numbers.

Therefore, I must assume the score of “31-17” exists ONLY as a figment of the mind of UGA fans.

4. jeffgator says:

Anyone else tired of all the phonecalls from John McCain – not telling me why I should support him, but attacking Mitt Romney?

Give me a freakin’ break John – if you can’t spell out why I should vote for you, don’t waste a dime calling me 6 times today!

5. jeffgator says:

I voted early and felt intimidated in doing so and here’s why…

I walked in and some old lady greeted me politely and pointed to the first table. There were 3!!! people at that table and I had to talk to each one.

The first one demanded that I fill out a piece of paper with my personal information such as name and address and date of birth. MY PERSONAL INFORMATION! I gave that back and then had to move to the next person who entered my info into a computer – no doubt NOT SECURED so I’m waiting for identity theft. This person then demanded that I give them a copy of my Drivers License. Once found in the computer I had to talk to the next person who handed back my DL. Now I’m pointed to this guy sitting at another table with a laptop and a stack of voter cards – how he kept track of them I don’t know, but he gave one to me and told me to use one of the voting machines. I voted and turned the card back in and got a sticker.

This entire process took about4-5 LONG minutes out of my busy day. I can’t believe that when I voted, I was the only voter in that room and there were FIVE people staring at me the entire time. I felt so violated and intimidated.

I much prefer the 30-45 minute wait outside the polling location and a worker to voter ration of about 1 to 50.

6. NonPartisanGA says:

GodHatesTrash,

At first I was going to ignore your post at Feb 4, 2008 at 6:01 pm and follow the council of Matthew 7:6, but silence by me and others that value this site implies tacit agreement.

I’ve often wondered about your handle and what you were trying to say with it. I do not know what or who you believe in, but I do know that God hating anyone is inconsistent with what the Bible that embodies the Word of My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ says about how

He feels even about evil people. He loves them in spite of their sin and desires their repentance.
    Your comment about disenfranchising black folks at Feb 4, 2008 at 6:01 pm reflects either over the line sarcasm or ignorance. [Todd, your extra effort was worth it if it keeps a few thousand coloreds from voting.]

Either way its inappropriate in an “intellectual” BLOG. If you want to share that trash talk on a skinhead site please do it there and spare us your ignorance.

The basis for this nation and moral conservatives is Christianity. If we remain silent in the face of intolerance and hate, we are no better than the bleeding heart liberals whose values are inconsistent with the principles the Republican party says it stands for.

I am disappointed that I am the only person regardless of complexion who seems to have a problems with those comments.

7. Jason Pye says:

You aren’t. GHT is incapable of reason.

8. GOPeach says:

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE IS A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE!

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE IS A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE!

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE IS A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE!

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE IS A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE!

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE IS A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE!

A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE IS A VOTE FOR HUCKABEE!

9. Bill Simon says:

NonPartisanGA,

GHT took his/her handle as a play on the words of that minister who holds protests at funerals and they have placards declaring that “God Hates Fags”. If you’ve never seen the protests, then you would be confused with GHT’s handle.

10. GOPeach says:

I have made the decision to vote for Governor Mike Huckabee on the basis of research into actual records — rather than empty campaign double-talk. Alone among the frontrunners, his record is conservative on the most fundamental issues. I will go even further: examining records proves that when $100 million dollars of GOP campaign propaganda is set aside, Mike Huckabee is the only real across-the-board (social and fiscal) conservative among the three front runners.

Mitt Romney is not only not a conservative on any issue, he’s not even on the left-right spectrum. He has no beliefs. No principles. No backbone. No soul. He is a soulless creature who will do and say anything to get elected.

McCain is somewhere in the middle. He has disappointed me, and many other conservatives, many times (McCain-Feingold and McCain-Kennedy chief among them). If he becomes the GOP nominee I will support him.

I will not under any circumstances vote for Mitt Romney. Ever.

Here is why I support Mike Huckabee:

Abortion: First and foremost, I am voting for Huckabee because he is the only leading candidate who supports the core of the GOP plank – the Human Life Amendment. Mitt Romney openly opposes it. McCain has voted “pro-life” but voting is as far as he will go. He recoils from paying any price politically or personally to end the holocaust happening daily around the corner from your house. When pro-life conservatives were trying to replace career pro-abort Sandra Day O’Connor on the Supreme Court, McCain called Justice Samuel Alito “too conservative.”

We will never be safe and secure from either foreign or domestic enemies until we stop the barbaric, inhumane practice of abortion which has liquidated almost 50 million babies since Roe v Wade. I agree with those who examine providential events in American history and conclude that God has protected this nation at crucial times. If you are even open to that possibility, wouldn’t you have to agree that 50 million seems like a lot of babies to kill and still hope God will protect America? Isn’t that hypocritical of us? Outlawing abortion at the federal level is not a secondary issue. It’s Issue Numero Uno. It’s a no-brainer. Mike Huckabee deserves every vote in America for understanding that alone.

Senator McCain is not in favor of amending our constitution to ensure that, regardless of what state a baby is born into, he or she is guaranteed the legal right to life. How puzzling to claim to believe in the inalienable right to life and liberty yet assert that “federalism” or “states’ rights” somehow grant states a power to take innocent life. In 1860 that position was not the abolitionist position. It was the pro-slavery position. Today it is neither constitutional nor conservative. It’s just theoretically halfway between good and evil. And it won’t end the harvest of death and take the blood off our hands.

Mitt Romney is the Founding Father of government-subsidized, $50 abortion-on-demand in Massachusetts. Laws don’t get any more pro-abortion than Mitt Romney’s Orwellian health care plan…unless you go to Communist China. Even the Communist Democrats in Boston couldn’t pull that off. He is not merely “weak” or unconvincing on this issue. He’s an amoral pro-abort masquerading as a convert to the view that human life is sacred. Other than that he’s indistinguishable from Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton (both of whom have gleefully endorsed the Romney-Kennedy-Planned Parenthood healthcare plan). Enough said? He claims he was required by law to sign this healthcare bill that established abortion with a $50 co-pay as a “healthcare benefit.” That is an insult to our intelligence and a pre-meditated lie. There is no Massachusetts’ law that requires subsidized abortion on demand. Romney also appointed a Planned Parenthood member to his healthcare advisory board and no pro-life member. Pro-life governors don’t do that. This alone puts him on the pro-abortion extreme of the spectrum — for Democrats, let alone Republicans.

Marriage: Unlike McCain who worked hard to defeat a Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA), Huckabee strongly supports a FMA and understands what is at stake for America, our children and grandchildren if we fail to enshrine into law that marriage is between one man and one woman. Although Governor Romney has recently staked out a position claiming to support traditional marriage, he speaks as the opportunistic politician who unilaterally imposed “same sex marriage” in Massachusetts after the law-making body that has exclusive authority to do so, refused to grant the Goodridge judges their fantasy. He did this revolutionary act — unbidden by even the judges — claiming he was just “following the law.” A lie, pure and simple, powerfully refuted by the state Constitution itself.

As many constitutional experts have tried in vain to warn the conservative elites, there is no law that allows “same sex marriage” in Massachusetts. It’s still illegal. The court merely issued a surreal and legally impotent declaratory opinion that barring same sex marriage was unconstitutional. Romney even opposed efforts to remove the judges who violated their oaths of office by ignoring the state constitution’s removal of court jurisdiction to even hear such a case. In September of 2007 we finally learned the explanation for Romney’s mysterious actions: he was carrying out a 2002 campaign promise to the homosexual “Log Cabin” Republicans.

Immigration: Although Governor Huckabee has been called the “amnesty” candidate, he has never supported “amnesty.” He is in favor of securing the border and has taken the “No Amnesty Pledge.” He has received the endorsements from Congressman Duncan Hunter and Jim Gilchrist founder of the Minuteman Project. Senator McCain was the co-author of the McCain-Kennedy-Bush “comprehensive immigration” bill that was ultimately defeated. But he now supports securing the border first. Governor Romney supported McCain-Kennedy-Bush as well and now, like McCain, claims to support securing the border first. Neither has that much credibility with me when it comes to this issue. Although I tend to trust McCain more given “Multiple Choice Mitt’s” penchant for surreal flip flops.

Foreign Policy/National Security: Governor Huckabee has the most executive experience of any candidate in either party – three or four times what Mitt Romney has, considering Romney spent so much time outside his state (212 days in his last year in office).

With nearly eleven years running a state, Governor Huckabee is by far the best qualified to manage a huge, bloated bureaucracy. He supports increasing defense expenditures from our current 3.9% of GDP level to the Reagan Era 6% of GDP level and the “Powell Doctrine” of using overwhelming force. Senator McCain lacks the executive experience but does have the actual military and government experience and is no doubt well qualified to lead the War on Islamic Jihadism. By supporting the surge even when it was not politically popular, McCain showed that he is willing to do the right thing regardless of the polls. Governor Romney is the least qualified of the three. Romney’s chief counterterrorism expert Cofer Black was condemned by the 9-11 Commission, Congressional Joint Inquiry, and the CIA Inspector General for his mismanagement of the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center as contributing factors in the 9-11 attacks. This should be a major concern for voters.

2nd Amendment: Huckabee has always been a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment. McCain has more of a mixed record on gun control laws. Romney is by far the most pro-gun control anti-2nd Amendment candidate. He has always supported the Brady Bill and the so called “Assault Weapons Ban” both of which are opposed by the NRA. As governor he boasted about having signed into law some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.

Taxes and Spending: Huckabee is, by far, the most fiscally conservative of the three. As governor he cut taxes almost 100 times and left Arkansas with an $850 million surplus. While I have some questions about his proposed” Fair Tax” which is a flat consumption based tax that would replace our federal income tax, it is by far the most aggressive fiscal proposal put forth by any candidate. While Senator McCain did oppose the Bush Tax Cuts (b/c they didn’t include enough spending cuts), he now supports making them permanent. And nobody doubts his anti-pork spending bona fides. Romney, as governor, raised taxes by over $500 million dollars. (He called them fees) leaving the Commonwealth in financial turmoil. His government run socialist healthcare plan he claimed as his signature achievement has been exposed as a catastrophe in the making. And although he derides McCain for not supporting the Bush Tax Cuts, Romney himself didn’t support them either.

Special Rights for Homosexuals: Huckabee has always been opposed to same-sex “marriage” and any special rights based on sexual orientation. McCain has more of a mixed record as the lone GOP senator to oppose a federal marriage amendment. Romney boosted funding for pro-homosexuality indoctrination in schools, pushed gay adoption, falsely pretending that a law forced him to, and has been the more aggressive in catering to the homosexual militants than most liberal Democrats. He argued in 1994 that he could get more accomplished for the gay agenda than Ted Kennedy and made similar promises when running for governor in 2002. He called a 2002 Massachusetts protection of marriage amendment “too extreme” and is solely responsible for illegally instituting “same sex marriage” in the Cradle of Democracy. He also supports homosexual Boy Scout leaders and homosexuals serving openly in the military.

11. gatormathis says:

we got your message already………………

Erick, you might need to call and reserve a few more gigs of internet and server space to store these long, over repeated messages in………..

…….even more so if Huckabee scores an upset today.

then again, there always is that “woman scorned factor” if he comes up short.

12. Romegaguy says:

I am glad that others are following my lead and adding a P in front of Huckabee. At first I tried to use an F instead of the H but unfortunately it was censored out. 10 and a half hours left before the meltdown begins

13. NonPartisanGA says:

Bill Simon,

I have seen the protests at funerals and they are equally insensitive, asinine and contrary to the Word of God.

God hates the sin but loves the sinner. His desire is that all renounce their sin, receive His forgiveness and seek a relationship with Him.

That GHT want to align himself with GHF is a telling association and like Jason suggested beyond reason.

GoPeach despite your exuberance for Huckabee, I am surprised you did not weigh in on this foolishness.

14. jkga says:

NonPartisanGA-

GHT is aligning him-self or her-self *against* Phelps. GHT’s comment about “colored people” was sarcasm. Trust me on this.

Although I wouldn’t have put it the same way, I share GHT’s view about the real (purely political, if not racist) motivations of the Georgia GOP leadership in pushing through increased voter ID restrictions.

Obviously, it’s no extra hassle for people like ToddH *who already have a driver’s license*. The whole issue is that poor people – of all races – and city dwellers are less likely to have a driver’s license than the population as a whole. In the old rules, a birth certificate and a utility bill (to prove residence) could be used instead. It’s an extra hassle to get some official government ID if all you’ll use if for is to vote. (Heck, it’s already an extra hassle for someone without a driver’s license to get to the polls in the first place.) Will it keep a few thousand likely Democratic voters away from the polls? I’m not sure, but if it does, then that’s a real shame, whether or not it makes a difference in the outcome.

The worst part is, there’s been no evidence that there’s been voter fraud that would be prevented by the increased ID requirements. The Bush Department of Justice has spent a lot of resources trying to turn cases up. (this was reported in the NYT in April 07.) The only prosecutions have been for some *legal* immigrants who were confused about their voting rights – at least one case, someone was expecting to have his citizenship by election day, and filled out a voter form before he was officially a citizen. His zeal to perform his civic duty earned him a deportation. It makes me sick.

The Georgia voter ID restrictions are part of this cynical attempt to make it harder for people with few resources to vote. I’ll say it again – it makes me sick.