From the 2008 Faith, Family & Freedom Kickoff Event.

Today I attended the 2008 Faith, Family & Freedom Kickoff Event put on by the Georgia Christian Alliance (Sadie Fields group). There was a pretty good lineup of speakers that included Sen. Isakson, Rep. Tom Price, Sec. State Karen Handel, Commissioner John Oxendine, Phil Kent, Grover Norquist and David Horowitz. I’ve posted audio from Horowitz’s speech on my blog as it doesn’t pertain to Georgia politics but it was indeed interesting.

After lunch, representatives of the four remaining GOP Presidential candidates spoke. Former Senator Phil Gramm spoke for John McCain. Gramm is a powerful advocate for McCain and of course he spoke well. He didn’t shy away from talking about several of the issues which cause some Republicans angst such as the McCain-Kennedy immigration plan. On such issues Gramm cast McCain as a guy who tries to get things done.

Jay Sekulow of the American Center for Law and Justice spoke on behalf of Mitt Romney. Sekulow talked about the importance of the Supreme Court and the Romney is a guy who will appoint solid conservative Justices. He criticized McCain on a host of issues and praised Romney’s business skills.

Dr. Rand Paul spoke quite eloquently on behalf of his father Ron. While I disagree with Paul on several political issues I am impressed with Paul’s service as a Doctor, and he’s run a remarkable campaign.

Congressman John Linder spoke on behalf of Mike Huckabee. Linder delivered an impressive speech which I’ve recorded for your listening pleasure here.

Clearly Romney and Huckabee were the favorites of the crowd today but McCain showed stronger than I would have guessed. Based on lapel stickers, my rough guess would be that Huckabee held a slight lead over Romney. Those supporting McCain, while certainly a minority, were noticeable.

1. GOPeach says:

SUNDAY MORNING CHRISTIAN VOTER GUIDES will be the tipping point. I am ready to see an upset in the “TWO MAN RACE”. ( What an arrogant thing to think)

2. GOPeach says:

Gov. Huckabee will be speaking this morning at Woodstock First Baptist Church ( where the Governor attends). The Governor of Georgia should endorse the former Governor of Arkansas who will be sharing his testimony at his church today. I wish I could be there. I have friends who will be there and I hope the put it on CD and upload it to a web-site. ( hint hint) 🙂

3. Rick Day says:

I loled mightily at the use of those three words together (faith=ya best be loving The Jesus ™ , family=buzz word for socialized Christianity when used in conjunction with the word ‘faith’, and freedom, which the former does everything to quash the latter.)

Christian Pandering ™ at its worse. Pathetic. Special place in Hell ™ etc, etc

4. debbie0040 says:

It appears that Sen Chambliss’s and Sen Isakson’s endorsement of McCain cause quite a stir at the event.
    I was unable to attend because I was flying home from San Diego.

I have received many emails like the one below from long time GOP activists:

The endorsement of Sen. John McCain by Georgia’s two U.S. senators drew outrage from GOP activists. • Story

URGENT MESSAGE! — Please forward this message to everyone you know who votes Republican.

Someone just forwarded the message below and I am incensed!

I was not at this event Saturday, but I did get the message that our two GA Senators have endorsed liberal “Mr. Amnesty” John McCain for President. This is unbelievable in light of the nationwide rebellion over this horrible bill which was shouted down by Republicans all across this country last summer. Have our Senators lost their minds? What is going on here? It seems the D.C. power brokers have decided that McCain is to be anointed President no matter how the grassroots voters feel. Friends, we have fought this battle before, and we can do it again. This move could greatly hurt Sen. Chambliss in his re-election campaign this year.

If you have not already voted early, PLEASE go to the polls on Super Tuesday and vote for ANYONE BUT MCCAIN — the most liberal Senator right next to Ted Kennedy. We are still the voters in this country — not the power elite in Washington, D.C. Since Fred Thompson dropped out, I intend to vote for Mitt Romney, a true conservative who will make this country a great President. He is the only candidate who can defeat McCain, and the few reliable polls clearly show this. We must send a message that we voters will not be sold out or dictated to by D.C. powers that be. If you cannot vote for Romney, just vote for anyone but McCain. Don’t believe all of these polls which say that McCain has won already!!! Remember, a month ago he was considered practically out of the race.

5. GodHatesTrash says:

Satan and Mammon thank their minions for their support.

Sleazebags all.

6. Romegaguy says:

I was thinking Debbie may have received that email from GOPeach but then I noticed that there were no spelling or grammatical errors and it also made sense so that rules out GOPeach from being the author.

7. debbie0040 says:

Rome, It was not GOPeach. It was from a long time activist in Hall County. In the email, she said to send it to our email list, but I did not want to post in on a blog with her name on it.

She is pretty far removed from GOPeach.

8. debbie0040 says:

You are right, though, Rome. It made too much sense and was too well put together to be Peach!!

I think Peach would support Huckabee over a cliff, but I think other Huckabee supporters realize the futility of Huckabee winning and will end up voting for Romney…

9. BubbaRich says:

Debbie:

I’d be embarrassed to be spreading that bit of tripe around. Only a wingnut who has lost all capacity for thought could take “the most liberal Senator right next to Ted Kennedy” seriously as a description of John McCain. Why do you think you can get away with that type of obvious lie? Or is the lack of disagreement here indicating that this type of lie is working among Peach Pundit readers?

10. debbie0040 says:

Bubbarich: The person that sent me that email is a very well respected long time activist in Hall County. Many longtime activists have expressed similar sentiment…

I will be glad to forward the email to you offline if you give me your email address.

I thought the email was great sentiment felt by many activists ….

From your reaction, it obviously hit a sore spot… Insults make no difference and will deter no one from forwarding her email.

11. BubbaRich says:

Debbie:

Apparently insults make no difference, nor do lies, since that post contains one of each. Keep forwarding it, though, it keeps the True Believers in the fog and lets other people see how stupid they are.

Or do you really, honestly think that John McCain is “the most liberal Senator right next to Ted Kennedy”? It’s hard to tell when y’all are being honestly stupid and when you’re intentionally lying.

12. debbie0040 says:

I think when it comes to illegal immigration, McCain is every bit as liberal as Uncle Teddy.

That is what that email was referring to – illegal immigration.

I posted that email because I was showing the reaction from the grassroots to the endorsements.

Since when does John McCain object to lying? He lied about Romney wanting a time table for the pull out of troops in Iraq . He lied about why he opposed the bush tax cut.

Immigration Battle Divides Ariz. GOP
    Many Activists Despise McCain

The party is controlled at the district level by activists who detest McCain for his sponsorship, with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), of a comprehensive immigration bill that among other things would have provided illegal immigrants with a pathway to citizenship. They think McCain is a traitor to conservative causes and an advocate for amnesty for illegal immigrants.

“We do not consider him a conservative at all,” says Rob Haney, a Republican Party chairman in McCain’s home district. The candidate’s bus, the Straight Talk Express, should be renamed, Haney says: “We call it the Forked Tongue Express around here. He’ll lie about anything.”

Said John Acer, a lawyer who, like Haney, showed up last weekend at a meeting of the Republican state committee in Glendale: “He’s despicable. Dishonest. Duplicitous.” And so it goes, on and on, all these Republicans who wince at the mention of McCain’s name, and who can think of few things worse than having the state’s senior Republican senator ascend to the White House.

13. debbie0040 says:

Bubba, the sentiment expressed in that email was the typical reaction from GOP activists here in Georgia to McCain.

Apparently that negative sentiment is not unique to Georgia.

14. I Am Jacks Post says:

Debbie says:

“If McCain is the nominee he will have a battle getting the activists motivated to work for him. Many have said they would never even vote for McCain. I think McCain will has as big a battle motivating conservative activists as he will have defeating the Dem in November.”

There goes Debbie making predictions again. (I think many of us are still owed steak dinners).

We all recall you and your fellow “activists” predicting a “grassroots” apocalypse, doomsday scenario if Casey Cagle were to beat Ralph Reed.

You predicted an ocean of grassroots activists would show up at the polls to carry your anointed to victory.

As you no doubt know by now, Ralph lost. Handily.

And now you all are throwing out the same dire predictions.

Thankfully, Sadie Fields and her band of merry pranksters no longer have any impact upon this proud state’s politics. None.

These “activists” you speak of number in–and I’m probably being very generous here–the thousands. Heck, they’re probably outnumbered by the couple dozen unbathed Ron Paul protesters at last night’s McCain rally.

Do you honestly suggest that Camp McCain is trembling at the potential onslaught of the 318 “activists” holding comped tickets to the Faith & Freedom event? Come on.

The HannityRushLevinRickF’ngSantorum machine hasn’t been able to stop McCain from winning the 3 major contests thus far, and they’ll fail again on Tuesday.

I’d suggest you hit reply-to-all to the email you received and suggest the “activists” start a Draft Keyes Independent movement.

15. Bull Moose says:

Funny thing about Rick Santorum, in 2006 he BEGGED for McCain’s help in his election. He didn’t seem to have an issue then with McCain.

16. Bull Moose says:

Listen, I’m no fan of GOPeach, but Debbie is alright. She just hasn’t seen the light yet on Cagle or McCain.

17. GOPeach says:

Debbie –

The reason I have typos is because I actually type my own posts as opposed to cutting and pasting other people’s.

You better watch it from now on… I will be watching for your grammar and spelling mistakes…

Make sure your are PERFECT.

18. GOPeach says:

Romegay-

I was thinking Debbie may have received that email from GOPeach ( COMMA ) but then I noticed that ( NO NEED TO USE “that’) there were no spelling or grammatical errors and it also made sense( COMMA NEEDED) so that rules out GOPeach from being the author.

Romegay- You need PUNCTUATION SKILLS!

Your punctuation and run-on sentences suck!!

19. Little Richard says:

Anyone who would even think about forwarding an email with such gross errors of fact, probally are the same ones that send money to that Nigerian General’s family and wondering when their $25 million check will arrive. If that is the Grass Roots sentiment of Georgia, we might need to look closer what kinda “Grass” we are talking here.

20. Romegaguy says:

Shirley Roper, my run-on sentences suck but so do the candidates you support. I look forward to your continued meltdown Tuesday.

21. shep1975 says:

yeah, I got the same email from Bettye Chambers and took issue with her description of Romney as a “true conservative.” Romney has been a “true conservative” for about 8 months, since he started running for President. Up until then, he was was anything but. In 2005, less than a year before he started running for President (which he was doing as early as March 2006 when he was at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Memphis, TN), Human Events named him one of the Top 10 RINOs in America (Romney was #8). McCain didn’t even make that list.

Romney has a record, although short on experience, as being a leftist. I don’t like McCain, but my dislike of McCain doesn’t blind me to the point that I can’t see Romney’s past record and statements make McCain look like part of the vast right-winged conspiracy in comparison.

I’m nearly 1/2 Romney’s age, but have been a “true conservative” for a heck of a lot longer than he has.

22. GOPeach says:

For those of you who may be curious as to why Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Laura Ingram and Glenn Beck are so strongly against Governor Mike Huckabee and so pro Mitt Romney, here is a little information you may find interesting to know.

Mitt Romney owns the Bain Corporation, which owns Clear Channel Communications. You may now be asking why that is so shocking. Well, that by itself isn’t; however, when you add in the fact that Sean, Fox News, Rush, Laura and Glenn all have large contracts with Clear Channel Communications, it all becomes clear. Mitt Romney is in effect, their boss/owner. Because of that, they will go to any lengths and say whatever it takes, including falsifying polls, to get Mitt Romney elected. If you like, I’m sure you can verify all this for yourself by doing a short internet search.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know so while you are listening to any of these folks on the radio and/or TV and they want to either bash or ignore Governor Huckabee, you will know why. Please do not let the media tell you who you should vote for. Find out all you can about each of the candidates and make up your on mind.

23. Shep, I received an email I assume from someone in South Carolina regarding Romney and his effectiveness as a business executive. She inferred that he would change Washington. I can only assume it would be as he did MA.

In the California debate he charged that the current Democrat Governor and legislature added to his healthcare plan which increased the expenses dramatically. Ok, I’ll accept that, however, it was built on HIS plan…. I’m no economist, which has been pointed out numerous times, however it clearly shows he has a bent toward expanding government. Contrast that to Huckabee rebuilding the infrastructure of Arkansas, which Romney has been a frequent critic of.

I am thoroughly convinced of Huckabee’s capability to lead and be effective.

24. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Don Scoggins
    703-565-6771

Black Conservatives Rally to Urge
    Mike Huckabee to Stay in Presidential Race

PRESS CONFERENCE
    Monday, February 4, 2008
    9:45 AM
    National Press Club
    529 14th Street NW, DC

(DC) – A broad coalition of black conservatives from across the country are holding a press conference to urge former Governor Mike Huckabee to stay in the presidential race for the Republican nomination until the Convention.

“Governor Huckabee should not be intimidated to stop his bid for the republican nomination,” states Don Scoggins, veteran GOP activist and among other conservatives hosting the press conference. “The momentum of the grassroots that propelled this party into victory is behind Mike and will not stop fighting for him regardless of his bank account,” also states Scoggins, president of Republicans for Black Empowerment, a DC based national grassroots organization.

The concern of the group is the pressure that is mounting by republican talking heads to push governor Huckabee out of the race. The consensus is that Huckabee’s campaign was deliberately sabotaged by Fred Thompson in South Carolina to hone out a two man race between McCain and Romney in Florida. Polls still show Huckabee leading in many southern states, and competitive in others even with limited resources.

“Inside-the-beltway Republicans have lost touch with the increasing seriousness with which heartland conservatives relate to the traditional values agenda,” states Star Parker, a nationally syndicated columnist and conservative activist. “More and more folks are feeling personally assaulted by the meaninglessness that is gripping our culture and believe that Mike Huckabee is the only republican candidate that embodies the moral clarity of the GOP ideals. The groundswell generating support for Huckabee’s candidacy understand that moral and economic health go hand in hand and should not be underestimated.”

Numerous African American conservatives, many also veteran Republican Party activists, are scheduled to speak at the one hour press conference.

When: Monday, February 4, 2008 – 9:45 AM
    Where: National Press Club (Murrow Room)
    Who: Black Conservatives for Mike Huckabee

25. debbie0040 says:

Thanks Bull. I have made it clear that I prefer McCain over Huckabee and I would have no problem working my tail off for McCain if he wins the nomination.

I just prefer Romney at this point because of illegal immigration and Romney’s economomic record.

I have heard activists say that they would not vote for McCain if he were the GOP nominee. I think that is wrong. I think it is wrong not to vote for Romney if he is the nominee.

McCain, while I have disagreements with some of his positions, is far more likely to appoint more conservative Supreme Court Justices than either Hillary or Obama… Romney would govern much more conservatively than Hillary or Obama and would SC Justices in the mode of Roberts and Scalia.

Many longtime grassroots activists oppose McCain. Iamjackspost, I suggest you go to county GOP meetings and see the sentiment for McCain. Last year I was at a meeting in a north western county when someone mentioned McCain and boos erupted… You can’t ignore that the sentiment is out there. The press even has talked about it.

It is not just Georgia, either. There was an article about how the grassroots activists in the Arizona GOP did not like McCain either.

Any Republican is much better than any Democrat….

26. I Am Jacks Post says:

Peach, again you prove yourself to be a frickin idiot. Uggh, whether from Ralph or Huckabee, you consistently buy whatever you’re told.

You’re using a Huckabee line from the weekend in which he says that talk radio supports Mitt because Bain Capital owns Clear Channel. The implication being that Clear Channel controls radio show hosts.

The readers of this page are no doubt astounded to learn that, again, you’re wrong on the facts.

I can’t stand HannityIngramBeckLimbaugh. And I don’t support Romney. But your accusation that they’re supporting Romney because parent company ownership is total crap.

I’m amazed and frustrated that I have to stand up for these clowns, but you, m’am, are an idiot.

Huckabee has accused Sean Hannity, who has announced he will vote for Mitt Romney on Tuesday, of being influenced by Bain Capital, which Huckabee says owns Hannity’s network — Clear Channel.

Bain is trying to buy Clear Channel, or parts of it. Clear Channel does own many radio stations. Hannity does appear on many of their stations, but Hannity’s syndication partner is ABC Radio Networks, which is owned by Citadel Broadcasting. Not Clear Channel.

You’re a damn fool. Please, stop talking about things of which you know nothing.