Lawmakers lash out at McCain, praise Romney

This piece is circulating around right now, just so you don’t have to read through it all…it is expected that Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss will endorse John McCain this evening:

Georgia Congressmen Lynn Westmoreland, Tom Price, Phil Gingrey, Jack Kingston and Georgia Speaker Pro Temp Mark Burkhalter along with Georgia’s Romney for President Co-Chairman Eric Tanenblatt held the following media briefing this morning, Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008 about Mitt Romney and the Super Tuesday election in Georgia.

Highlights:

Westmoreland: “I think Mr. Huckabee is a stalking horse for McCain and is pulling a lot of these conservative voters away from Mr. Romney. If you look at Mr. McCain’s record he was one of only two Republicans who voted against tax relief President Bush offered which included lifting the marriage penalty and increasing the child tax credit. He is no friend of the family.”

Westmoreland spoke of the expected endorsement tonight by Georgia’s U.S. Senators Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss of McCain.

“The Senate is a universe of 100 people,” Westmoreland said. ”They almost seem to be removed from the constituency. I think those guys get over there and they sprinkle them with some kind of dust or whatever. We’re more the people’s House and get more of a sense of what is going on. If McCain is the nominee, it will hurt the down-ticket Republicans. And a lot our conservatives will stay home. Gov. Romney is the most constant conservative in this race.”

Kingston added: “We don’t mind if the senators look to us for leadership.”

Burkhalter noted that more than 50 members of the Georgia Legislature – who are quite close to their constituents — endorsed Gov. Mitt Romney for President at a media event this week. “We tend to know what the people want, and very clearly from that press conference it was a strong statement,” Burkhalter said. “We need an economy President, and if you vote against tax cuts (as McCain did) you voted for a tax increase as far as I’m concerned.”

Kingston added: “With a downward economy and recession at the door, Mitt Romney has the only legitimate business record. You want a man who understands capital. A big issue with small businesses is health care. Mitt Romney is the only candidate who has gone after health reform without trying to create socialized medicine like the Democrats. McCain lets Kennedy write the bills and puts his name on it.”

Gingrey said the Senate endorsements were “part of a close knit club on the Senate side and with he being the only Senator in the race, it was expected. But we must remember what Teddy Roosevelt said. Speak softly but carry a big stick. I’m sure a President McCain could carry a big stick but not speak softly.”

Price added: “What Romney has been, is an agent of change. What starkly separates him is that he is not from Washington. The nation is tired of inbred politicians from Washington.”

Tanenblatt commented: “Senator Chambliss and Isakson are two of Georgia’s finest statewide elected leaders who supported the Bush tax cuts, fought to end illegal immigration and are committed to preservation of our right to free speech. I look at this as an endorsement of someone they serve with rather than someone who shares their values. I believe conservative Republicans in Georgia know better and will clearly see the disconnect between McCain’s record and that of our two Senators.”

1. Romegaguy says:

But GOPeach promised us that this wasnt going to happen. She said she threatened them not to and they listened to her. Next thing you will know she will be lying to us about who is going to be the nominee….

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [snort]

2. intheknow says:

“Kingston added: ‘We don’t mind if the senators look to us for leadership.’ ”

Well, it’d be the first time Jack Kingston showed any leadership…

3. Word of the week, AGENT OF CHANGE…. Sure thing. With $35 million, Mr. Romney along with a good PR and Marketing person should be able to effectively make the American people believe he was George Washington reincarnated.

The fact is Mr. Romney has made a career of destroying the manufacturing base of this nation, shipping those jobs overseas. He certainly has been an agent of change.

4. Jason Pye says:

Yeah, that’s right. Bash the man cause he has made money. Let’s criticize success.

You are using class warfare rhetoric. You sound like John Edwards.

5. debbie0040 says:

GOVERNOR ROMNEY IN ATLANTA MONDAY!!

Everyone,

Governor Romney will be in Atlanta on Monday, February 4th, at 12:00 Noon. The event will be at:

The Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
    800 Spring Street
    Atlanta, GA

Pleasee RSVP to [email protected]

6. GOPeach says:

I personally called Saxby and Johnny’s office and
    THEY PROMISED TO NOT ENDORSE ANYONE!!!

If they do …. THEY ARE LIARS and I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THEM AGAIN!!!!

I WILL NEVER TRUST THEM AGAIN!!!!

7. GOPeach says:

I am soooooooooooo SICK of hearing the same old story….

” Our WIVES were SORORITY SISTERS!!!”

And…………….. ?????

HERMAN CAIN for GOVERNOR!

8. intheknow says:

Peach, I called as well, and they made it VERY CLEAR that they had been contacted by the 4 candidates, and that at the time I had called (yesterday AM), they were not yet endorsing anyone AT THIS TIME. They never “promised not to endorse anyone.” I can see how nuances such as this, in your world where th
    ings ar eonly black and white and there is no gray, might be confusing. However, I understood exactly their position, and that the door wa sopen for an endorsement.

Not sure what their wives being sorority sisters has to do with anything. Maybe you’re jealous that you weren’t in their sorority?

Herman Cain for governor? The same Herman Cain who backed Bob Kerrey, one of the most liberal senators out there? That Herman Cain? The one who virtually disappeared after his ass kicking in 2004? That Herman Cain? The one who was supposed to be so involved after his thumping? That one?

Right…go have another drink.

9. John Konop says:

Maurice Atkinson

In fairness to Romney he ran a large fund that invested in growth and consolidation companies. It is fairly common that large funds to invest in both consolidation which are safer in general with lower yields and growth deals that have higher yields with more risk.

I have always been on the growth side of executive teams not on consolidation teams. One is not better than another it is just a different skill set.

The job of the executive is drive the highest returns back to your investor’s end of story. Your political beliefs are left outside of the deal.

One cannot deny Romney has an excellent reputation in the business world and is the most qualified candidate on economics.

I disagree with Romney on some issues, but I would trust him over any candidate on understanding the economy. Unlike Bush he has a real track record.

I can see why you would support Huckabee, and not trust him on social issue via the flip flops, but you should give Romney his credit and respect on economics.

10. GOPeach says:

IN THE KNOW …

You and BOTH SENATORS CAN KISS MY ASS!

THEY ARE LIARS!!!!! They said THE WOULD NOT ENDORSE ANYONE!!!!!

IF McCain gets this … I AM CAMPAIGNING FOR HILLARY!!!!!

11. jeffgator says:

GOPeach – I called both of their offices yesterday.

Isakson’s representative told me that the reports were “false and that Sen. Isakson has not made any decision and intended not to endorse”

These two Washington insiders have lost my support.

Lying directly to a constituate only to turn around the very next day to fall all over yourself in gushing admiration for “my friends” is despicable.

If these two sell-out Senators gave a flying crap about who they liked in the race they should have stood shoulder to shoulder with their selection months ago when it mattered.

To stick their finger up in the air and now see that McCain has some wind under his wings only further underscores their shallow convictions.

And Chambliss’ “Let me educate you” arrogance about the immigration (I mean amnesty) bill shows exactly what is wrong with career politicians.

Circling the wagons around McCain before the race has run its course is akin to trying to talk the other team off the field with 2 minutes left in the game.

Downright dirty.

12. eburke says:

I don’t trust Romney as he has only recently supported conservative values now that it is in his best interest to do so. I don’t think he is sincere.
    I don’t think that McCain is conservative but he is consistent and I know what I will get if I voted for him.
    I believe that Huckabee is the closest candidate to my values of a limited federal government, balanced budget, elimination of the income tax, and conservative social values. I’m voting for Huckabee on Tuesday.

13. intheknow says:

GOPeach, I think you may be confused. I understand, this is a confusing issue. Are you sure you even called? Maybe you thought you called? Take a breath, and before doing something crazy like campaigning for Hillary, relax and see how things play out.

SOry you’re so confused on what you heard.

By the way, you are aware that you don’t have to create a new post everytime you have a point to make. I mean, 4 posts in 5 minutes. You know you can put all those ideas in one post, right?

14. Insider Mike says:

GOPeach = Ann Coulter?

I for one am truly humbled that Ann Coulter takes the time to post on Peach Pundit every six minutes.

15. GOPeach says:

Insider Mike-

Damn Right!

You good ole boys have stirred up a HORNETS NEST….. Hell has NO FURRY like a women who has been LIED to…. THE GA SENATORS are THROUGH !!! This was UNFORGIVABLE !!!!!

16. CHelf says:

John,

Keep in mind Mitt’s economic background and education background is similar to those influencing the economy now. Look at the Secretary of the Treasury, Fed Chairman, and the rest of the Council of Economic Advisors. A collective group has more knowledge, experience, and education than Mitt and look at the results. What makes people think one man can “outsmart” this group and do better? This is supposed to be his advantage but he is no different than those influencing the game now. I am not downplaying his success. But this is supposed to be something putting him ahead and not just replacing what we have now. Put McCain or Huckabee in there with a few business heads no different than Mitt and will it really matter?

17. StevePerkins says:

I’m going a little off topic here (although with GOPeach in the thread, what’s the difference?)… but I just had a carload of Ron Paul guys come by the house canvassing my neighborhood.

I’ve lived here (Duluth-Norcross area) for over half a decade, and NOBODY has ever canvassed this neighborhood during that time for ANY candidate. The most attention we’ve ever gotten has been campaigns putting up signs on private property without permission the night before the election, which we simply throw away on election morning before going into work. I was so stunned, I didn’t even know what to say to the guys.

Maybe I imagined the whole thing… after all, those people are “just an Internet thing”. Still, where are the McCain and Romney canvassers in Gwinnett this weekend?

18. John Konop says:

Chelf

All valid points about Romney yet he has talk about the issues we have with unfair trade deals. Also he has made the point we cannot gut our manufacturing industry and have a healthy economy.

This is why McCain died in Michigan and Romney gained support.

I do think Romney and Ron Paul sound like they have a better grasp on the issues with our economy on the GOP side.

I would say on the Dem side Obama sounds like he gets it a better than Hillary. This Walmart economy based on us making nothing and using cheap overseas slave labor while driving down U.S. wages and bowering money from China cannot work long term. That is why the debt Market is out of whack in the U.S.

As I warned when I ran for office a falling savings rate with growing debt is a formula for problems.

19. GOPeach says:

in the know nothing –

Hell has no fury like a woman how has been lied to!!!

You boys will look back one day REMEMBER .. it WAS GROUND HOG DAY when you LOST THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!! Feb.2 … THE DAY THE GA SENATORS LIED!!!!!!! History writers take note!!!! ….. You better PRAY McCain looses …. I am not kidding…. The Christian BASE IS leaving the GOP!!!! We are going to become LIBERTARIANS!!!!

20. StevePerkins says:

Please don’t. (running the hell away from you guys is what makes us libertarians in the first place).

21. GOPeach says:

It will be fun to watch Nancy Peloci and Hillary slap some sense into you white boys for 4 years… that will teach you!!!! Then you might GET RELIGION!!!!

22. Jason Pye says:

Ha. No pun intended, right?

I have to second what Steve wrote.

23. waterboy says:

StevePerkins –
    It’s great that folks are getting out and knocking on doors…been there, done that. Unless you have tight lot lines, you can spend a lot of time knocking on doors that could be better spent doing something else.

24. GrandOleDawg says:

Hmmm, looks like we can apply that “ectard” term to ole Maurice.

Destroyed the manufactoring base..psssshhh. I’m still pissed at McKinley for the irrepareable damage he wrought on the wagon wheel industry.

25. jeffgator says:

I called both of these “my freinds” senators back and gave them a piece of my mind about their offices lying to me yesterday.

If they had true convictions they would have said so weeks/months ago.

A couple of sellouts to be certain.

The best course of action at this point is to get a strong showing for Romney on Tuesday so we can stick our thumbs back in the eyes of Chambliss and Isakson.

Anyone that takes the future of the GOP seriously, please vote for Romney on Tuesday to fight back the sellouts.

26. jeffgator says:

“The nation is tired of inbred politicians from Washington” – Tom Price

I love that statement!!!

27. StevePerkins says:

<i.If they had true convictions they would have said so weeks/months ago.

Hmm… where was this criticism in threads dealing with local politicians who have waited until the very last minute to now endorse Romney?

28. IndyInjun says:

Hahahaha………the GOP must die and be reborn, but not since Julius Caesar felt the prick from friend Brutus has there ever been a spectacle like this.

Old Ron Paul is the only real conservative and the only GOPer who will emerge from the 2008 campaign more respected and more popular than when it began.

Lessee, we have all the fake conservative GA House members going against the 2 fake conservative senators.There have not been this many fakes since the painting of the Mona Lisa.

I KNEW 2008 was going to be blow-your-socks-off fun! I KNEW it!

29. SouthFultonGuy says:

1) I thought Ron Paul was a libertarian running in the republican primary. He may be a true conservative but is he really a true GOPer?

2) GOPeach after making 17 of the 47 comments on this subject you’ve made your point – now get over it. Anyone that trusts what any politician says is pretty naive anyway.

3) Like term limits you’ve demonstrated we need comment posting limits. If you can’t make your point in 5 or fewer you never will.

30. StevePerkins says:

Such as? (not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious)

31. Bull Moose says:

I will trust John McCain to cut spending more so than I will ever trust pork barrelling Members of Congress like these folks.

Our party lost control of Congress because of out of control earmarks and pork barrel spending.

So, with all do respect, while they may not like Ted Kennedy, at least John McCain hasn’t contributed to running up our debt and ruining our country by supporting pork barrel spending and earmarks.

Careful guys, people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

32. joe says:

Bull,

Your party did not lose control because of pork. Your party lost control because the party leaders didn’t give a rats ass what we wanted. They only cared what they wanted. McCain was one of those leaders. I too may consider Hillary, I will consider Nader and any other 3rd party if he (McCain) gets the nomination.

33. Bull Moose says:

When you say you’re going to be a conservative and reign in spending and you do the opposite, you lose trust with the electorate. That’s what has happened to the GOP.

Also, when you defend unethical sleeze like Abramoff, DeLay, Reed, Doolittle, you lose trust with the electorate.

When you use your campaign money to help the legal defense fund of people like that, you lose trust with the electorate.

When you fill up bills with earmarks and pork barrel spending projects, you lose trust with the electorate.

When you raise taxes by $750 million in one year and lie about it, you lose trust with the electorate (ROMNEY).

I’m outraged that Kingston, Price, Gingery, and Westmoreland call themselves a conservative and support a tax increaser like Mitt Romney.

34. waterboy says:

Such as what Steve? You ever been involved in a campaign as a volunteer? You ever knocked on doors for a candidate? You think that is the best use of time in a national/state campaign? Get real.

35. waterboy says:

Moose –
    You are so full of moose droppings. Your Romney rhetoric is old and tired. Try supporting your anti-tax cut candidate without whining about the real world experience of Mitt Romney and the four congressmen that have endorsed him.

36. IndyInjun says:

Moose,

How are the voting records of McCain endorsers Isakson and Chambliss superior with regard to fiscal responsibility than the GA House delegation?

Also, being gung ho for a war fought on a Chinese credit card is not being fiscally conservative.

37. GOPeach says:

Hillary Clinton gets elected President and is spending her first night in the White House. She has waited so long……….

The ghost of George Washington appears, and Hillary says,
    “How can I best serve my country?”

Washington says, “Never tell a lie.”
    “Ouch!” Says Hillary, “I don’t know about that.”

The next night, the ghost of Thomas Jefferson appears…
    Hillary says, “How can I best serve my country?”

Jefferson says,
    “Listen to the people.”
    “Ohhh! I really don’t want to do that.”

On the third night, the ghost of Abe Lincoln appears…
    Hillary says, “How can I best serve my country?”

Lincoln says,
    “Go to the theater”

38. StevePerkins says:

I’m not attacking you, waterboy, I’m genuinely asking for some examples (and still am). In the campaigns I’ve volunteered for… I was asked to make phone calls, write handwritten letters to Iowa and NH voters, put up signs, and canvas precincts. If there is a better way to use volunteer time, I honestly would love to hear the suggestions so I could propose them with the next campaign I volunteer for.

I mean, I’m sure that sitting in the “war room” and planning national strategy, or talking with media in the spin room after debates, would be pretty effective use of time. However, campaigns generally don’t (and couldn’t) ask this of their thousands of neighborhood volunteers.

39. waterboy says:

Steve –
    You referenced knocking on doors…..making phone calls, sending handwritten letters, distributing signs, and canvasing precincts are all better uses of time as opposed to knocking on doors – that is, unless you have sooooo many volunteers that they need something to do.

I knew you could figure it out.

40. StevePerkins says:

Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken (or maybe your use of sarcasm is simply lame)… is there a difference between “canvassing neighborhoods” and “knocking on doors”?