Fox News In For Hard Times?

Is Fox News just too depressing for words, or for watching? MediaChannel dot org seems to think so:

No wonder CNN’s so giddy these days. Here’s the spin CNN president Jonathan Klein put out following its New Hampshire ratings win: “There’s a freshness and exuberance to our coverage that the others just aren’t matching. … Fox almost seems downright despondent in their coverage.”

So I’m not the only one who feels like Fox News coverage, especially of the Republican field, often feels like a televised wake. Or maybe that’s just been Fox News’ collective, subconscious mourning of the Giuliani campaign.

CNN is virtually guaranteed another monster ratings win this week with a pair of high-profile debates staged in California — the Republicans on Wednesday night and Democrats on Thursday.

Full article here. Whatever, it always feels right to stick with the home team.

1. ChuckEaton says:

I was glad to see the Republicans didn’t play petty games and were willing to enter the eye of the storm by participating in the CNN debates.

Sometimes I wonder how the Democrats expect to be perceived as strong world leaders when they’re afraid of taking a little unscripted heat on Fox news.

2. IndyInjun says:

Loyalty –

Naah, you are just one of us looking for somewhat neutral coverage, not that MSNBC is.

Taking FOX and CNN in equal, offsetting, doses gives me a headache.

3. GodHatesTrash says:

Don’t worry SpaceGirl – there will always be enough knuckledraggers and mouthbreathers to keep Faux News’ ratings from going too far down…

4. Tommy_a2b says:

As someone who use to hate CNN, I have to say I have watched them more throught the campaign cycle than Fox. I find that Fox goes on to many rants and even though CNN seems much more liberal they still cover the stuff I am looking for.

5. Jace Walden says:

Do Republicans feel like they have to preface anything good they’re about to say about CNN with the words, “I usually don’t watch CNN, but…” Or, “I know CNN is all left-wing and all, but…”?

Just curious…

6. drjay says:

i like foxnews. having said that iwas disapponted when kiran chetry left and will occassionlly flip to cnn in the a.m. for a chance to watch her-she is a very talented newscaster

7. Tommy_a2b says:

Jace Walden notice what I said, “As someone who use to hate CNN” not “I usually don’t watch CNN, but…” Or, “I know CNN is all left-wing and all, but…”! What I am saying is I actually like watching it now.

BTW does anyone know what happened to E.D. Hill? As someone who does not watch Fox that much anymore I do not know where she disappeared to?

8. StevePerkins says:

I think all three major 24-hour news channels are worthless… for me it has less to do with political bias than with the neverending focus on crap like Britney Spears being crazy and Anna Nicole Smith still being dead. Almost 100% of my news comes from the Internet.

That said, the election section of CNN’s website is dramatically better than those of the other two. It’s easy to see exactly who did what in each state, what the delegate counts are, etc. On CNN’s site I can go straight to it, on the other two sites it seems to move around and I have to click a lot to find it.

9. drjay says:

anna nicole smith died?–i would have thought that would have been big news…

i have alway preferred cnn’s website as a 1st quick source for news…but i’d have thought the anna nicole smith thing would have gotten wall to wall coverage.

10. souldrift says:

And they don’t even mention Olbermann’s improving ratings (though, of course, that means nothing because he doesn’t get more viewers than Bill-O).

MSNBC has the best website also. I watch CNN lately b/c it’s in HD.

You couldn’t pay me to watch Fox.

11. souldrift says:

As for the “I never watch CNN but..” line, I also love how Oxycontin boy raves about the “drive-by media,” when in truth it’s FOX NEWS that IS the drive-by media.

12. eehrhart says:

CABLE NEWS RACE, FLORIDA RESULTS
    Viewers, 8-11pm

FOXNEWS 2,512,000
    CNN 1,882,000
    MSNBC 1,257,000

Yep looks to me like CNN is in the lead

???????

13. GodHatesTrash says:

See Space, it’s all good on the Faux News Network – heck, the idjit bottomfeeders that think Bush is doing a good job still make up 30% of the electorate.

14. souldrift says:

Eerhart – So explain to me, what is with the Fox News audience’s obsession with ratings? Does anybody actually believe that the top of the “pop charts” proves value?

Translated, look at the garbage that’s on “top 40” radio now and tell me that’s truly the best music? Same with the top 5 movies, are those ever actually the best films? No, in both cases, that’s usually trash. Same applies to Faux News.

15. eehrhart says:

Hilarious Icarus

When you souldrift and GHT are against what I posted I know I have it right.

simple math boys

2.5 is bigger than 1.8 even in liberal math

16. GodHatesTrash says:

Eehrhart, I’m on your side in all this – Faux remains very popular with knuckledragging rednecks. Unfortunately, those morons aren’t going away, and they’re not getting any smarter.

(This is good for you, though, since it will probably be easy for you to get re-elected, since you “speak their language”.)

I’m not one to misunderestimate the number of morons with television sets.

Souldrift does have a point though – if you follow your logic that popular means good, you should be eating poo sammiches, because 100 trillion flies can’t be wrong…

17. Adam says:

eerhart, you picked a night when the Republicans were having a major primary and the Dems were having a beauty contest. Compare Iowa’s nights or New Hampshire’s nights.