Edwards to drop out.

I must say I’m a little surprised by this. Why not wait until after Super Tuesday and collect a few more delegates?

(CNN) β€” Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Do Edwards supporters in Georgia go for Obama or Clinton?

Powered by ScribeFire.

1. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

I have heard completely unfounded rumors that Obama and Edwards had some kind of agreement. There is a school of thought that he splits the anti-Hillary vote, and this should greatly benefit Obama.

However, I think the real school of thought is that Edwards has been winning the white male vote, and it is not clear that they will switch to Obama who has been getting almost none of that demographic.

My prediction remains that Hillary will win in the end, but it is far from certain.

2. Decaturguy says:

It does make you wonder what sort of deal has been struck. While Edwards support is probably overwelmingly white, it is also an anti-establishment vote as well, and in this race, Hillary is seen as the establishment. It should also be noted that in South Carolina Obama got a higher percentage of the white male vote than did Hillary.

This could be the nail in the coffin.

3. GAWire says:

>>”””Why not wait until after Super Tuesday and collect a few more delegates?”””

Buzz, because others in the Dem Party have likely made him an offer he can’t refuse. He realizes he would be taking away from the other candidates and he’s convinced of his dying candidacy to a point where he doesn’t want to ruffle too many feathers.

4. ChuckEaton says:

I think Edwards dropping out has got to help Obama.

I don’t know if it’s “the nail in the coffin”, but I agree with Decaturguy’s reasoning.

5. Tea Party says:

Snippets from Manuals last nite:

“The GOP should ‘give’ this one to the Dems and let them take the fall for the ecomony.”

“Edwards is the GOP worst case scenario-He might actually win over Obama or Hillary”

“I don’t think mainstream America will vote for a Black man.”

“ABB” Anybody But Bush

“Ron Paul was right-on, too bad his message falls on deaf ears.”

My fav, “Who cares, its’ raining.”

6. StevePerkins says:

I imagine that most Georgia Democratic leaders outside of Atlanta are pretty pissed… now they have to actually endorse either Hillary or Obama. Even though Edwards never had a realistic chance, and even though he’s running further to the left than either front-runner this year, the majority of rural Democratic leaders endorsed him because they probably didn’t want to get stuck on record backing a woman or black man given the nature of their districts. Now they’re backed into a corner… I suspect that most will simply elect to remain “neutral”.

7. GOPeach says:

Okay – I like John Edwards because he is a Southern Boy and all but…. honestlly –

I do not think the Democrat Party is the Place for WHITE BOYS ANY MORE! πŸ™‚

Something is somehwhat satisfying seeing “A Black” and a “A Woman” whooping a White Boy’s Butt! πŸ™‚

8. brohes says:

I really hate it, but- this year’s democratic candidate is going to be chosen due to race or gender.

I was an Edwards GA democrat, now I’m not sure who I can support. Clinton is the “establishment,” but Obama is bottoming out when it comes to “experience”. Establishment=Experience.. I see both wining the nomination.