Ron Forester Makes His Stand

He sounds so genuine and serious. It’s like a college student government speaker.

The level of outrage is really rather silly. I expect in his younger days he’d get drunk off a few Buds at a local bar and pick a fight with the person who doesn’t quite get as psyched about Georgia football.

H/T: Georgia Legislative Watch

1. Icarus says:

I’m amazed.

It really takes a lot of effort and unique ability to stand out as a complete douche bag in that crowd.

Congratulations, Rep Forester, you’re today’s State House “real man of genius”.

2. rugby fan says:

I thought Erick’s description was the funniest, and then I read Icarus’.

Congratulations, Icarus of Georgia, you’re today’s Peach Pundit “real man of genius”.

Sorry Erick.

3. Icarus says:

Not much about our current GOP says “party”, Steve.

But maybe after a vote on a Sunday sales law…

4. Romegaguy says:

Someone should ask if he has a blog and if he wants to post links to it here while posting more useless drivel like this legislation

5. Bill Simon says:

Hey, whoa now…are you people of the opinion that a member of a party should look the other way when a fellow member may be breaking the law?

Partisan twits.

6. Icarus says:

No Bill,

I’m saying the douche bag should check and see that the meaning of the word “consider” is codified in the Senate rules, and realize that no laws have been broken, before such a stupid and pathetic attempt is made to gain favor with the Speaker.

7. Bill Simon says:

Icarus,

When the Senate calls for a bill to be “reconsidered” after defeat the first time around, that usually means it is IMMEDIATELY considered again and brought-up for a vote.

What part of the Senate Rules, again, is in accord with Cagle’s current “interpretation” of the word “consider?”

8. Bill Simon says:

Icarus, Part 2

By the way, relying on “senate rules” is a bit arrogant, don’t you think? That’s like Eric Johnson presuming HE he the ultimate word on everythign in this state because HE’S a “senator.” Oooohhh…..senators are like, gods, you know? Like, totally, man..senators need to be worshiped in this state, man…oooh….

9. rugby fan says:

Bill:

Consider means to ponder or in this case, deliberate.

Vote means to take action.

Ergo, immediately consider does not mean immediately vote.

The Senate is considering voting on these bills.

10. Icarus says:

Bill, if you could get over your deal with Senator Johnson, or at least set it aside, you would probably realize that you’re on the wrong side of this argument.

As for the part about the meaning of “consider”, Andre posted a full detail the first day of the session. Granted, after the tripe he posted yesterday, I probably should go back and verify the material myself.

Even if that position is totally wrong, I would think it wise that Rep Forester (R-Douche Bag) at least get some legitimate outside legal opinion before attempting to introduce impeachment proceedings against a Lt. Gov.

11. Bill Simon says:

Rugby,

Don’t you think if the framers of the Georgia Constitution meant that the Senate should “take time to carefully deliberate” an override, they would have used the word DELIBERATE, instead of “consider?”

12. Jace Walden says:

I don’t have a problem with Senator Johnson, but I still agree with the House of Representatives (which, for the most part, I do have a problem with).

Then again, I also have never seen Animal House.

13. Erick says:

Bill, the Senate rules follow Mason’s Legislative Procedure in the absence of a clear rule. There is no clear rule on what “immediately reconsider” means. So they go to Mason’s, which says it means to take prompt action by which it can refer to committee, table, or vote.

14. Bill Simon says:

Erick,

Again, I ask: If the framers of that section of the Ga Constitution meant that “immediately consider” COULD mean do the things thye have done, why wouldn’t they have used the word “deliberate”, which means exactly what Cagle did do.

15. rugby fan says:

Perhaps.

Why don’t you exhume a corpse for a consultation.

Legislatively, “deliberate” and “consider” are synonymous.

More importantly, as long as you ignore Erick’s explanation of Senate procedure, this conversation is going nowhere.

16. Icarus says:

Actually, wasn’t the GA Constitution re-written in the 1970’s or early 80’s?

Why don’t they exhume some of the corpses that are still there, voting?

You know, the ones that are refusing to sign on to Rep Forester’s (R-Douche Bag) bill.

17. ksuowls81 says:

They considered the one bill that profitted the Senate. Why wouldn’t they consider the other bills just as fast.

You can’s suppose a guy is an idiot just because he is passionate about something. Even if his judgement is misguided the guy is doing something that he believes in even if it ostracizes him from the rest of his colleages. That takes alot of guts.

If you ever get a chance to meet Rep. Forester he is a good man with good intentions. He is just true to his beliefs.

18. Bill Simon says:

I don’t know Ron Forester, but I know chickensh*t politicians when I see them: The Lt. Guv. and the senators who back him up on this have demonstrated time and time again that they unequally apply their “interpretations” on their “rules.”

19. rugby fan says:

Bill:

That is called politics.

With all due respect, tough shit if you don’t like it.

They are following the rules and there is no malfeasance going on.

20. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Is being called a douchebag better or worse than being called a dumbass? Can I have a ruling on that?

I used ot often refer to a certain Senator as a “dumbass” and I was virtually jumped on by several other posters here for disrepecting an elected official. But no uproar here of douchebag – a term btw, which I believe should be used more often in public speaking.
    😉

21. Icarus says:

“a term btw, which I believe should be used more often in public speaking”

It was one of my new year’s resolutions.

22. Bill Simon says:

I use the word “dumbass” quite often to describe our elected officials. No one has ever dumped on me about it. Or, if they have, I pretty much told them to stuff it.

23. Icarus says:

Or if Bill was told he is wrong, he will tell you to stuff it.

Or if an inconsistency is found in one of Bill’s arguments, he will tell you to stuff it.

Or if you remind Bill that the score of the last UGA-Tech football game was 31-17, he will tell you to F-off.

24. Icarus says:

Actually LoyaltyIMH, in as much feigned seriousness as I can muster, I do think it is inappropriate to be overly rude to an elected official who posts on PeachPundit in a healthy spirit of debate. I have tried to demonstrate some level of respect for Rep Ehrhart, as we appear to disagree more often than we agree lately.

If Rep Forester (R-Douche Bag) chooses to post here, I think we should politely give him the chance to tell us what legal opinions he has received that support his belief that the Lt. Governor has broken the law. We should be respectful as we ask him why he believes that filing articles of impeachment should be the first remedy you seek when you disagree with something. We should ask him if having adopted rules such as the Mason’s Legislative Procedure are a good thing, or if the members of the legislature should just go to court every time they disagree with the meaning of a word.

Then, and only after respectful consideration of Rep Forester’s case, should we return to calling him a Douche Bag.

25. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Oh I agree with you Icarus. I find Earhart very engaging and interesting even though I totally disagree with him on the GREAT Plan. I like him because he actually thinks with his mind before he posts here. On the other hand, Douglas seems to be working from talking points typed on a manual typwriter using carbon paper left over from the Cold War.

26. Bill Simon says:

Icarus,

I correct myself on occasion.

The same cannot be said for people like Earl and Eric. According to themselves, they are UNTOUCHABLE and elected to represent God as far as they’re concerned.

27. Erick says:

Hey Bill, the word “vote” appears 66 times in the Constitution. The phrase “immediately consider” appears twice — both in dealing with vetos.

Why didn’t the drafters say “immediately vote” if they intended that to be the process?

28. Doug Deal says:

Erick and Bill,

You both are half right. The legislature obviously doesn’t have to vote on the legislation immediately, but they have not done there part to actually consider it.

Sitting in a bin waiting for Senate members to decide to take it up is not consideration, immediately or otherwise.