Georgia Democrats offer real solutions for the Peach State

This morning as I was reading the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, I came across an article that made me think, “well that just takes the cake.”

The article?

Well it’s the one where state Rep. Ron Forster took the floor of the Georgia House and urged his colleagues to sign on to his impeachment legislation against Lt. Governor Casey Cagle. This morning, as I read that article, I asked myself, “Is this why the people of Georgia put the Republicans in the majority? To impeach the Lt. Governor?” I then expanded that question to include some of the other misguided Republican proposals on the table this year.

Did the people of Georgia put the Republicans in power to pass the not-so-“GREAT” plan?

Did the people of Georgia put the Republicans in power to make it easier for you to carry a gun in a parking lot?

Did the people of Georgia put the Republicans in power to cut over $1 billion in education?

The answer to all those questions is a flat no. I believe the people of Georgia put the Republicans in power because they were told that Republicans could run the state better than Democrats, but when you look at the accomplishments of the Republican majority (and let me tell you, they are few), you have to ask yourself how have their priorities made our state better.

How has attempting to cut PeachCare made our state better?

How has failing to raise the minimum wage made our state better?

The answer to those two questions is simply that it hasn’t.

While the Republicans sit around and bicker amongst themselves, our state is not moving forward and in some cases, Georgia is moving backwards.

Georgia Democrats have real solutions for Georgia; solutions that will move Georgia forward again. Solutions such as expanding pre-K so that more of Georgia’s children can get off on the right foot with a strong educational foundation. Solutions such as fully funding education and providing more access to higher education. Making health care for affordable and accessible; making Georgia a more “green” state with investments in renewable energy sources; finding a remedy to metro-Atlanta’s growing traffic problem; those are the solutions that Georgia Democrats have to offer and those are the solutions that will move Georgia forward again.

Plain and simple, Georgia Democrats have real solutions for the Peach State, and come November we will make our case to the people of Georgia that it is time for the Republicans to be put right back where they were for 130 years…in the minority.

1. Rick Day says:

I tend to agree with the former comment, but am skeptical of the latter.

Bring me a “Ron Paul” style of ‘strict constitutionalist budget allocator’, and I’ll agree that things may change for the better in GA.

They are all a buncha crooks! (except for Steve, and Jill and…umm…)

2. Jace Walden says:

Andre,

Those questions are actually rather easy to answer if you take the big-government needle out of your arm for a minute or two.

By not raising the minimum wage, you allow Georgia’s small business owners to hire more people, lowering the unemployment rate, and not rewarding the part-time working high-school and college students (who make the the VAST majority of minimum wage earners) for doing a generally menial task. It encourages education and hard-work. Not mediocrity and laziness.

By cutting PeachCare, you encourage people to invest in private health-care coverage, and teach people that if you can’t afford to have kids–you shouldn’t. It also teaches people that you can’t count on Government hand-outs to trump personal responsibility.

Georgia Democrats, as you have so aptly summed up, simply want to increase the size and scope of government. None of your government solutions have ever proved helpful. At all. Period. If Georgia Democrats want to increase the size, scope and funding of the state government…I’m sure the GA Department of Revenue accepts checks and/or money orders (I can’t believe I just quoted Bush). Otherwise, regular voters would appreciate it if Georgia Democrats would stay out of our wallets, because we’re busy paying our own way instead of sucking the government nipple, as Georgia Democrats would encourage us to do.

Republicans aren’t much better, but c’mon, Andre. You’re smarter than that.

3. Decaturguy says:

Right. That assumes that Georgia Democrats will be able to recruit enough candidates to even have a statistical chance of winning back either House like they could not do back in 2006.

4. Icarus says:

Andre,

If I promise to never call you a Republican again, will you promise not to write any more drivel like this?

Seriously, I can’t believe you even believe what you wrote.

But I’ll take a swing at it anyway, because, frankly, I’m bored.

Did the People of GA elect Republicans to elect the Lt. Gov? No

Have the Republicans impeached the Lt. Gov? No

Did the POG elect Republicans to pass the GreatTax? No

Did the Republicans pass the GreatTax? No

Guns in Parking lots? Ask most GA voters, including most GA democrats, if they believe in protecting the 2nd amendment. Was the process pretty? No Did interference from the NRA Frigtards gum up the works? sure Were the 2nd amendement rights of the People of Georgia protected, along with private property rights, Yes.

$1 Billion cut in Education? Didn’t happen.

As for the People of Georgia’s opinion on that, I believe that the last candidate the Dems had for Gov made that his central attack point. How did the People of Georgia respond? They gave him less than 40% of the vote.

Attempting to cut Peach Care? The Republicans put in controls to make sure those who were already receiving it could continue until Federal funding was secure. PeachCare was saved by the Republicans, not killed.

How has failing to raise the state minimum wage made the state better? That question is so F’ed up it would take an entire semester of economics to even start to rip it apart with the b*tchslap it deserves.

I’m not bored anymore, I’ll stop there.

You’re better than these questions Andre. The Republicans aren’t without fault. God knows we have our faults. Your arguement, however, fails to begin to challenge them.

5. Still Looking says:

I think the point is if Republicans were elected to change Georgia government, they’ve done a lousy job. Transportation has worsened. Education has not improved (I think that billion was lost. Cathy Cox was complaining last week and local school boards have raised property taxes to make up the shortfall). And where is all that waste in state government that was going to be cut? Instead we see the GOP performance comparable to the Democrats.

6. Bill Simon says:

“Cathy Cox was complaining last week and local school boards have raised property taxes to make up the shortfall). And where is all that waste in state government that was going to be cut? Instead we see the GOP performance comparable to the Democrats.”

WHO? Why is former SOS Cathy Cox bitching about school taxes?