Finally, someone listens to Jace

The Athens Banner-Herald has an article about some water companies charging based on water usage. Finally. This is such a common sense idea. The more people use, the higher you charge them.

In Jefferson, a frugal family that uses only 6,000 gallons of water a month would pay $28, but a family that drinks up twice that much – 12,000 gallons a month – would pay $73, for example.

Jefferson and Danielsville also have another tier for commercial users.

In Danielsville, a low-use household would pay only $5.50 for 2,000 gallons – but someone who used 36,000 gallons would pay a lot more, $196.

Some of the city’s businesses and schools likely will pay more under the new rates, said Danielsville City Clerk Michelle Dills.

1. Doug Deal says:

Erick,

So, then, you should be in favor of agressively progressive tax rates. There is very little difference between water use envy than there is for wealth envy.

Charging these mythical heavy users will do absolutely nothing to the supply of water. As much press as that one man in Atlanta got for over use of water, his contribution to the load on the water system was insignificant. It is like pledging to tax the top 1 percent another 10% on their income. It just doesn’t add up to anything other than class warfare populism.

Unless all users, the bulk of which have a fairly average water consumption rate, reduce water during emergencies, you will suffer the same problems.

2. Bill Simon says:

Doug,

Whoa….it is quite a leap to go from someone who is consuming resources to apply that same standard to someone who is PRODUCING resources; i.e., earning wealth.

Try again, Karl Marx, Jr.

3. Doug Deal says:

Jace,

What Erick is talking about is not market pricing; it is a nanny state rationing system. Market pricing is “x gallons cost Y dollars with the current supply and demand”. Socialism class warfare is “if you use more than we think you should use, we are going to escalate the price so you pay more per unit.”

I support a truly market based pricing scheme for water, which I proposed here before you did on your own web site, but this system is nothing but class envy.

4. Doug Deal says:

Commrade Bill,

So, consumers have no rights, even with something that they purchased with their own money? Your argument suggests that the government now has the right to ration everything produced because consuming is not protected?

No wonder the Republican party is so bankrupt these days. When you think of the otherwise legal behavior of others as something that you have the right to control, you are a nanny stater. Raise the price on everyone, and everyone (on average) will conserve more. It was once said that Democrats wanted to be in everyone’s pocketbooks, while Republicans wanted to be in everyone’s bedrooms. I never imaged they also wanted to be in everyone’s bathrooms.

5. Bill Simon says:

Doug

Whoa, Part Deux. You gave a very good comparison to Jace about market forces vs. penalties of the socialist system, and I am impressed.

HOWEVER, my original comment had to do with your declaration that since Erick was in favor of (what amounts to) progressive tariffs on higher ussage, he should therefore be in favor of progresive tax rates that punish people for CREATING wealth.

Do you believe that people should be progressively taxed by the Federal government?

6. Bill Simon says:

Jace,

To define a “market,” there have to be buyers willing to bid on the price of the commodity.

As homeowners and other users of water, I’ve yet to receive a notice of me being able to place a bid anywhere. Have you ever received one?

7. Jace Walden says:

Bill,

That’s because our water isn’t priced by the market. It’s priced by bureaucrats. Surely you’ve received notice from them that bids have been placed in your name (via our elected officials) to raise “fees” on everything under the sun over the years, yes?

8. Doug Deal says:

Bill,

I do not think people should be progressively taxed.

A progressive water pricing scheme is the very same thing, a progressive tax, but in this case a usage tax.

I am very conservative of resources for the most part, because I do not want to pay for what I do not need. My water bills (jncluding sewer) are less than $30 a month, my last heating bill was $48, as my thermostat is set at 62. However, I do not have a problem with someone keeping there’s set at 80, and I do not mind if the cost per BTU goes up if there is a shortage of energy.

The government should not be judging the appropriateness of our individual habits and taxing us into compliance with someone else’s norms.

What definition of “Land of the Free” are you guys using?

9. Doug Deal says:

Grift,

I am not a conservative either, connotatively or denotatively. The whole liberal/conservative thing all comes down solely to one’s stand on abortion, and I think the issue is irrelevant to nation politics. I want nothing to do with that label.

10. Icarus says:

Apparently, when you start your comment with one of these “” the the text “Insert comment from IndyInjun here about anyone calling themselves a conservative is a traitor and a fraud” disappears.

11. Ms_midtown says:

Look at your gas bill and tell me it doesn’t affect your thermostat.
    The real cool capitalist answer would be water futures traded on markets. But then look at what happened with electricity in California.

12. Doug Deal says:

grifty,

The difference being that we KNOW you are a liberal.

Anyway, I broke down and got Verizon wireless internet at home and this is my first post. I actually feel like I have rejoined modern times. In further news, I have learned that the confederacy is no more, indoor plumbing does indeed exist, and influenza is not a death sentence.

13. Bill Simon says:

Doug, SSSHHHhhhhhhhh!!! Jace doesn’t know about bare ankles yet. Up in his part of the state, the women wear long sleeved blouses and dresses all year ’round, and walk two steps behind the men.

14. Icarus says:

“Next, the women folk will eating from the trough BEFORE the pigs.”

Wow, Doug. There might be a whole world out there that I know nothing about, nor do I wish to.

15. Icarus says:

I’m keeping the marble count a secret from the Tanalach Media folks right now Rugby. All I can say is that it is important to do so right now.

16. Icarus says:

I’ve just noticed that members of the Tanalach Media Conspiracy don’t participate in daylight savings time.

If they have the power to change time, this might be even bigger than we ever imagined.

17. Jace Walden says:

Icarus,

I’ve been on the inside now for almost 24 hours. Believe me, it is way bigger than we imagined.

They_Sacrifice_Virgins_to_the_Volcano_in_order_to_appease_their_heathen_gods

18. Icarus says:

Joe VS. The Volcano was one of the worst movies ever made, and Tom Hanks should be required to give back one of his Oscars because of his participation in it.