Total Privacy Invasion!!!!

I now officially hate not only Andy-Shay, but Blockbuster and Facebook too! Utterly without my permission to either company, Facebook began posting my latest Blockbuster DVD orders, my queue in other words, on my Facebook profile. I can NOT believe they did this without my knowledge nor my consent. Now the whole world is gonna know I ordered the entire first season of Hawaii 5-0 and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

A pox on both their houses. Heads are sooooo gonna roll over there at Facebook, mark my word. What amazing jerks. Any lawyers wanna give me a call?

1. Lee Benedict says:

Damn…I mean darn. Sorry to hear that. Is there some 1-point font consent at the bottom (or 3/5 of the way down the 1500 words) of your Blockbuster and Facebook terms and conditions? Please keep us posted.

2. SpaceyG says:

Apparently you can block, after the fact, this utter bullsh*t… I mean nonsense of Facebook’s by going, again, AFTER THE FACT, to your Facebook privacy settings and clicking on an “outside” website blocking feature. What amazing jerks these Facebook punks are.

Here’s how. H/T to Amber for the info:

Lordy, how I want to sue sombody now. I love me a good law suite.

3. SpaceyG says:

Apparently you can, AFTER THE FACT, block outside website from posting to your profile on Facebook by going to the Privacy settings and disabling outside websites, again, AFTER the fact, from posting to your personal profile.

What jerks run Facebook I can’t possibly imagine. They must be worse than some of the people who comment here!

HT to Amber for sending this info link about blocking their idiot “Beacon” privacy-invading feature:

4. StevePerkins says:

Where have you been? This was national news a few months ago… when people’s online Christmas gift purchases were showing up on Facebook and ruining the surprise. MoveOn.org even made a huge PR thing out of it, and I signed their petition that resulted in Facebook improving the opt-out procedure. However, I then spent two weeks trying to get off the MoveOn.org “member’s mailing list” that they added me to without my consent. Oh, the irony.

At age 32, I am officially old now. I just do NOT get Facebook. I don’t expect everyone in the world to be a privacy freak like me (I work in software security for a living), but younger people today just bend over backwards to proactively discard their privacy. I don’t understand why anyone would think that the world gives a $%^* about your mood and activities in every given second (“I’m feeling bad today”, “I’m sitting is Starbucks”)… what your latest purchase was from Amazon, etc. However, millions of people apparently do… and I’m not sure if it’s just “Me”-Generation egocentrism, or if other people genuinely DO care what’s in your Netflix queue.

5. Bill Simon says:

Steve doesn’t get Facebook, and I neither get Facebook OR MySpace.

How exactly can people “meet” other people on MySpace when it is just a bunch of static Web pages connected by “friends”, with no chat rooms or even IRC?

6. SpaceyG says:

I’d heard chatter in my constant e-background noise about this. But until I experienced the privacy violation, it wasn’t on my personal radar – until yesterday when I too was Beaconed. I’d thought they’d cleaned up the mess they were making, but obviously they’re just making it worse.

7. StevePerkins says:

Facebook leaves a cookie on your browser, which Beacon-partner sites are able to look at to confirm your Facebook ID. You can make yourself Beacon-proof by disabling cookies in your browser, but that basically makes the Internet unusable since so many websites rely on them.