In Praise of Paul Broun

I missed posting this yesterday, but Reason had a well-written piece on Congressman Paul Broun.  And although the article made no mention of the scandal regarding his alleged swearing-in (or lack thereof), it was highly complimentary:

Broun, a self-described “strict constitutionalist,” believes that the income tax should be abolished, that civil liberties degraded since 9/11 should be restored, and that fetuses deserve American citizenship […] There are two reasons why Broun’s career is worth examining closely. The first is Broun himself. He compares himself happily to Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), the anti-war libertarian presidential candidate: Both men are physicians who carry pocket Constitutions and often find themselves on the losing side of congressional votes. (Broun likes Paul, but he doesn’t share Paul’s views on Iraq and won’t make a presidential endorsement.) The day he was sworn in, Broun joined just 13 other Republicans (and 150 Democrats) in supporting a bill to call off raids by the Drug Enforcement Administration on medical marijuana distributors. He was one of only four congressmen to oppose the Drug Endangered Children Act, which allocated $20 million to take care of children living among drugs and drug dealers, and one of three to vote against establishing a new registry to keep track of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (“Lou Gehrig’s disease”).

Asked about both votes, Broun hauls out his Constitution and flips it open to Article I, Section 8. “We don’t have authority to create things like that,” he says. “This lists the functions of the federal government, and it’s about a page and a half long. I’d say most of the things this Congress does, we don’t actually have the authority to do.”

It also mentions the current attempt by Georgia’s Republican establishment to unseat the Congressman:

Back in Georgia, Broun’s own party is plotting to replace him, beginning with the July 2008 primary for his seat. State Rep. Barry Fleming (R-Harlem) entered the race soon after the runoff and has out-fundraised Broun by about 9 to 1. Local pols expect Fleming to win.

“I wouldn’t be running if I thought there was sufficient leadership being exhibited by our congressman,” Fleming says. “I’m offering voters a choice: someone who’s sharp, well-spoken, and can articulate conservative ideas and then walk the walk in Congress.” The implication is that Broun is none of those things, and that his lonely votes against popular programs are a waste of a perfectly good Republican seat.

Congressman Broun doesn’t get a lot of credit for what he does in Washington.  He is not the Porker-in-Chief.  He’s not being investigated for violating campaign laws.  No, he’s just a simple statesman who believes in the Constitution.  This has not sat well with the Republican establishment, particularly because Republicans have no use for someone who believes that this country’s greatest danger is Congress’s lack of understanding of the Constitution, rather than the vastly overstated “threat” of “Islamofascism”.  I’m sure once Mr. Fleming gets to Congress, he’ll insure that all of this “respecting the Constitution” nonsense is done away with, and the 10th district can get down to the important business of doubling the size of the federal government, interfering in the personal lives of consenting adults, building bridges to nowhere, and nation-building in every corner of the world.

For what it’s worth, Congressman Broun, the few of us who still believe in the Constitution think you’re doing a fine job.

1. Jace Walden says:

Holly,

They weren’t assertions. They’re assumptions. But currently, 12 of our 13 Representatives do not respect the Constitution. So that gives me, roughly, a 92% chance of those assertions being right.

2. Holly says:

Aha, you’re right. They were assumptions.

So, where do you think Lynn and Tom fall off the wagon? Just interested.

3. joltenjoe says:

Here, Here!

All of those “lonely votes” in favor of the Constitution are a waste of a good seat.

hah! What a load of garbage.

Walk the walk? Broun is doing just that, although he needs to change his stance on the war in Iraq.

Unless Republicans stand up to the nonsense of the Big Government types who have taken over (well, just come forth since many of them were already there..see most of GA’s Congressman for confirmation) what our party once stood for is going of the that flightless bird once found on that lonely isle off the coast of Africa.

4. Jace Walden says:

Supporting a Constitutional Ban against Gay Marriage for one. I think its pretty clear that marriage was never an affair that the founders intended government to be involved in.

Also their support of the Amendment to ban flag-buring. And voting for REAL ID.

Also, their votes to interfere in the Terry Schaivo case.

Lynn has been good at holding the line on spending though, and I do applaud him for that.
    Price on the other hand, is a fairly recent convert to lower spending, but hey its better to be late than never.

5. Jason Pye says:

Holly,

You can say what you want about Broun, but he bucks the establishment and actually understands the Constitution.

Fleming does as he is told. He is a good lap dog.

6. middle-ga-gop says:

Broun is an embarrassment to the delegation. Anyone who’s had personal interaction with the man would agree. I bet he gets wedgies in the Congressional locker room.

I hope he didn’t sign a long-term apartment lease.

7. whitemalevoters says:

middle-ga-gop,

you pretty much confirm everything we have assumed for many years now. that the gop is made up of a bunch of ignorant former high-school jocks who would be better off in jobs that require asking, “do you want fries with that?” or “do you want paper or plastic?”

8. Tommy_a2b says:

Lets all pick a number, how many posts will GOcrazyPeach put on this thread? I bet at least 25. What do you all think? Winner gets to beg Erick and Clayton to ban the Peach.

9. Icarus says:

Much lower, Tommy. I’ll bet 6 (in two series of 3).

She’s on a Mormon hating binge right now. Rep Elect Broun’s defense will have to wait.

10. Kirk Carter says:

Paul Broun burned his bridges with the GOP in the 10th district when he sold himself out to the Democrats in Athens.

The Clarke County Dems won’t even be there to bail him out now that they’ll have a Democrat on the ticket to vote for. Broun’s going down,

11. StevePerkins says:

Broun “burned his bridges with the GOP” when he entered the race in the first place, since most state legislators and party officials had picked Whitehead for the job (no, Bill Simon, they didn’t formally pass a motion).

12. John Konop says:

middle-ga-gop,

Our Country is 9 trillion in the red and growing. Do you think it is a smart allocation of tax payer’s dollars to go after medical marijuana distributors in state that legalized this practice?

Why do you think it is right for the Federal government to intervene in issues like this on a State level?

If Hillary becomes President would you support her setting about Federal laws on issues like this with a Democratic Congress?

13. John Konop says:

middle-ga-gop,

Our Country is 9 trillion in the red and growing. Do you think it is a smart allocation of tax payer’s dollars to go after medical marijuana distributors in a state that legalized this practice?

If Hillary becomes President would you support her setting up Federal laws on issues like this with a Democratic Congress?

14. Holly says:

John, that issue was voted on with a Democratic Congress and it failed to pass.

And Jason, I didn’t say one way or the other what Barry did or didn’t do. I just suggested that Jace was a far better poster when it came to backing things up with facts. So, usually, are you.

Whatever you want to say about someone is fine, so long as it’s not thrown out there with no substance. When it is, you run the risk of looking foolish.

By the by, Barry Fleming doesn’t have the backing of the “establishment” that you think he does – nor should he want it. It was the “establishment” that told him not to run in the 2007 special, and look where that got us.

And Jace, I’m going to just bring up a few federal documents that might suggest you’re incorrect on one of the issues regarding your post:

with attention to the following:

and special attention to the last two letters:

Say what you will about a voting record. Before you can represent others effectively, you need to have your own house in order.

15. Goldwater Conservative says:

I always get a kick out of these people that think they know what the constitution says. It is as if the constitution is a bible and each of these individuals has their own denomination/sect that interprets it differently. If broun was a constitutionalist, there would be none of this ten commandment commission garbage, nor would their be any of this pro-life bs. Fleming is right…so is Bobby Saxon (he sent out a press release that I received this morning)…Broun is pandering in congress, he went there with an agenda (written by Tim Echols…not Paul Broun) that is adamently non-constitutionalist. Look at all of brouns sponsored and cosponsored legislation…it is ceremonial and of no consequence. There is business that needs to be taken care of, Broun has not yet figured that out. You can not expect Forest Gump to be a congressman…why expect Broun to do any better. Even his father knew that he was “special.”

16. eburke says:

I am happy with Congressman Broun’s job. I think the Columbia County Republican establishment is still sore about Whitehead losing. None the less, Fleming is giving up a perfectly good position of authority in the legislature in order to settle a score with Broun. He may be ruining his political career. But it his perogative to run. Certainly Columbia County can put up thier candidate but they do not own the district.

17. Jason Pye says:

What the hell are you talking about?

18. steelfist says:

Holly – that’s a weak argument. If you look at most candidates filings they’ve received letters from the FEC asking for corrections and have had to file amendments.

19. Jason Pye says:

That is an opinion based upon what I’ve seen with my own eyes and what I’ve heard.

He is a foot soldier, nothing more.

It’s not different for your baseless attacks on Paul Broun. He voted for medicinal marijuana. You tell a cancer patient going through chemo that they can’t use the one thing that may help them with nausea or to hold food down.

20. Holly says:

Steelfist, I’ve not seen many other campaigns issued a final notice to comply, and I’ve been at this for many years. It’s not like it’s just one request for amendment. There are some filings that have had more than one request for amendment, as well as a final issuance. Where, exactly, have you seen that before?

21. Holly says:

I’d like to know which of my attacks are “baseless,” Jason? And also, I’d like to know where I said the vote against marijuana was wrong? I said it didn’t fit the politics of the district, which is true. Do not put words in my mouth because we disagree, okay?

22. Jason Pye says:

Who cares if it fits the politics of the district it if was the right thing to do? All I’ve seen you do is criticize him for it. The implication you made is that he was wrong.

Let’s face it, the reason you don’t like Broun is because he beat Whitehead.

23. Holly says:

Again, you’re wrong, Jason. I’ll spell it out AGAIN. I vote for people based on their character. I dislike Paul Broun first and foremeost because he campaigned on Charlie’s illness before he died. I dislike him because he’s pandering to whomever he’s talking to at the moment on the I-3 issue, which is something that Charlie and Max worked very hard for, and it ticks me off that the man who can’t properly file a campaign disclosure or keep his personal finances up to date is somehow all-knowing on the economics of road construction, and therefore trying to destroy the study to see if the road is feasible (i.e., not even the actual road). I dislike him because he got up in the pulpit in more than one church over the summer and indicated that because he was at whichever church of the week, this somehow made him more Christian than the other candidates.

I’m almost as Libertarian as you are, Jason. But a man’s character is the beginning of a good representative, not his voting record. Therefore I cannot, and will never, support Paul Broun.

24. Jason Pye says:

I didn’t like the pandering either, and I said as much here at Peach Pundit and I didn’t like the campaigning before Norwood died either.

But his voting record is what matters to me and for the most part, I agree with what he has done (the exception being his abortion bill).

25. Lee Benedict says:

In my opinion, Broun is doing fine. How many of us agree with everything “our guy” says and does?
    Goldwater: may I presume that your reference to the Ten Commandments was from the standpoint of an alleged “separation of Church and State”? If so, this separation is nowhere in the Constitution – it came from judicial activism in the 1960s when the black-robed buffoons kind of erected a partition with the ruling in Engel v. Vitale. The Constitution says that CONGRESS shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion (REVEREND MLK’s birthday is a national holiday???) or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. That being the case, whenever a white heterosexual legitimate Christian speaks, the lefties cry – but REVERENDs Jackson, Sharpton…have free and unfettered access to do as they please. Congress ain’t making no law by permitting the free expression of religion. Let me rephrase – Christian Bibles are not allowed in plain sight in public schools, but practitioners of other religions are more than welcome to wear headgear, nose piercings, and clothing required by the respective faith. This blatant discrimination is a clear violation of the Fourteenth Amendment. If you were not referring to the “separation”, please disregard.
    Back to Broun – regardless of your views about him personally and the job he is doing, please give him an atta boy for doing what he said he would do. How good a job Barry Fleming may or may not do is yet to be seen. I seriously doubt that he will stick to the Constitution the way Broun has. Also, as a CSRAer, I am not at all delighted that he, THE MAJORITY WHIP, is stepping down.
    OK Holly, give me hell for this post. BTW, how’s the job working for you?

26. middle-ga-gop says:

Seriously….The man can’t even form a coherent sentence. Let me know when Broun makes his next floor speech. I could use a good laugh.

27. Lee Benedict says:

Alright I’ll give you that; he is not what many would call a dynamic speaker. But if we vote for candidates according to hair, verbal style and delivery, rhetoric…we’re kind of screwed. It is truly sad and pathetic that people do vote for people for just those reasons.

28. GOPeach says:

Okay my fellow Georgians –

I do not hate Morons <Mormons!

I hate the out right LIES they pimp on their little bikes and their little warm and fuzzy “Family” commercials. They think that all a woman is good for is having babies. I am ALL for that personally, but there is much more to womanhood than just motherhood. There is life after menopause. 🙂

Let’s face it – most bloggers are Biblically challenged and would not know a CULT if it licked them in the face.

Several people on here have expressed the opinion that ones Religion should not be an issue.

In theory, I actually agree. Because we have freedom of religion not FREEDOM FROM it…

However – Mainstream beliefs: Jewish, Catholic, Christian…. those all share a CORE Canon. They all believe the BIBLE to be the BOOK of FAITH.

The book of Mormon is not MAINSTREAM. I hope you will not look the other way in an effort to be Politically Correct.

29. GOPeach says:

Mormon theology says Jesus Christ came to America to teach the indigenous people, who were actually a tribe of Israel, but that Christian churches in the Old World fell into apostasy. Then, starting in 1820, God restored his “latter-day” religion by dispatching the angel Moroni to reveal new Scriptures to a simple farm boy named Joseph Smith near Palmyra, N.Y. Although the original tablets, written in what is called Reformed Egyptian, were taken up again to heaven, Smith, who received visits from God the father, Jesus, John the Baptist and saints Peter, James and John, translated and published the Book of Mormon in 1830. He continued to receive divine Scripture and revelations. One of these was that Christ will return to reign on earth and have the headquarters of his kingdom in a Mormon temple in Jackson County, Mo. (Over time, the church has purchased 14,465 acres of land there.)

Bishop Mitt Romney believes this and teaches this…. but hey…. that’s cool…. because he is RICH!!! He has a lot of money ALL over the WORLD!!! Soooooo he is GREAT!!!!

30. Rick Day says:

um.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
    prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..

Congress.
    Can not.
    Make a law. (they can make all the resolutions they want, just no laws)
    Regarding the establishment (as in certifying as the status quo, legitimizing or favoring).
    Or prohibiting the exercise (banning people from worshiping or not worshiping, as they see fit)
    thereof. (of that stuff).

Did you pull that statement out of your naughty bits, or is this some biblical reference.

Because it sure ain’t “in” the “US Constitution”..

Honey.

31. Holly says:

Lee, I’m not going to give you or eburke “hell” for your opinions. When you come out and say that you think he’s doing a good job, then that is your opinion. I don’t think you’re right, and I have given my reasons for thinking that.

The reason I brought up the FEC issue was to correct Jace’s statement in the post. As long as I’ve been around this place, Jace has been one of the posters most conscientious of being accurate in what he posts. Granted we all know that I don’t like Broun at all, and we all know that I’m going to vote for Barry Fleming and (if needed) Bobby Saxon, but my opinion doesn’t change the FEC letters’ content. I’m sure that’s frustrating to Broun’s fans, but I’m not the one filing the FEC reports for him. I am, however, the one who noticed it. Kill the messenger, right? That’ll hide the truth. Nothing to see here! 😉

In all seriousness, I’m all for respect for the Constitution, Jason, but it cannot be done at the sacrifice of moral fiber and good sense. Nor should we, as voters, ignore flaws because the man (or woman) votes well. I firmly believe that’s one small part of representation, and an effective leader has to set the example in all areas of his (or her) life.

Disagreeing with me on those points is fine, and I can accept your disagreement. What I don’t like is when you make assumptions about why I must think a certain way or must mean a certain thing. I’m articulate enough on my own, I think.

32. Jace Walden says:

Holly,

I honestly don’t see the point you’re trying to make. Paul Broun is not under investigation for violating campaign finance laws. The links your provided only show that the FEC contacted him and told him to have X in sooner or Y in more accurately. It’s kind of a stretch to say that he is currently being “investigated”, like David Scott is being investigated.

What I said wasn’t inaccurate.

33. Harry says:

I’d like to interject that Roe v. Wade is contrary to constitutional federalist doctrine, the Tenth Amendment. Therefore, opposition to Roe v. Wade is libertarian. Let the states deal with it.

34. SugarHillDad says:

Peaches, didn’t you once say your husband is a Jew? In your house to you talk as much trash to him about his non belief in Christ?