Georgia Legislators for Mitt

According to State Rep. Steve Davis, a group of legislators will hold a press conference today at 4:15pm at the capitol where they will endorse Mitt Romney for President.

[UPDATE] Here is a copy of the letter sent out from the Romney team. The latest supporters of Romney from the Georgia General Assembly are: John Douglas, Lee Hawkins, Cecil Staton, Tim Bearden, Steve Davis, Earl Ehrhart, Johnny Floyd, Doug Holt, Billy Horne, John Lunsford and Tom Rice.

1. RuralDem says:

You know, someone on another blog made a statement about Mitt Romney that I can actually see happening (drjay might have seen this since he visits that blog as well):

“Mitt Romney in 2008 is running as a conservative Mormon Republican. When he fails to get the nomination, he’ll be back in 2012 as a liberal Methodist Democrat.”

How anyone can support Romney puzzles me. Seriously, this guy stands for whatever position the crowd he’s around supports. He has no backbone.

It is disappointing to see some of the Republicans that I like backing Mitt Romney.

He’s the only candidate I can honestly see attempting to get the Right To Life and NARAL endorsement at the same time.

As a Democrat, I want to say to my Republican friends, please nominate Romney. However, as someone who worries for our country’s future, I ask that you nominate someone who can be trusted, and on the GOP side, that would be anyone but Romney.

2. Jace Walden says:

Mitt Romney has a lot in common with the majority of our legislators.

Fiscal Liberal, check.

Social Authoritarian (although recently converted), check.

Enthusiasm for Big Government, check.

No core convictions, check.

3. debbie0040 says:

Good for them!!! They might as well join the rest of the Fred Heads that are already in the Mitt camp..

Heard Glenn Beck say that he was leaning very heavily toward Romney as well..

4. Still Looking says:

Glenn Beck!!! One of the biggest buffoons on the planet. Of course his endorsement shouldn’t come as a surprise since Beck converted to Morminism when he and his fiance went shopping for a religion. OMG

5. debbie0040 says:

Election 2008: Florida GOP Primary

Mitt Romney
    27%

John McCain
    23%

Rudy Giuliani
    20%

Mike Huckabee
    15%

Ron Paul

Some Other Candidate

The Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds Mitt Romney with 27% of the vote, John McCain with 23%, and Rudy Giuliani picking up support from 20%. Nineteen percent (19%) of those surveyed have already cast their ballots.

Romney has picked up two points since the previous Rasmussen Reports poll conducted on Sunday night. McCain has gained three points and Giuliani just one. In between the two polls, former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson dropped out of the race leaving the major candidates scrambling for his support.

Mike Huckabee has slipped to 15%, Ron Paul earns 4% of the vote, and 6% have either voted for some other candidate or will do so.

6. Bill Simon says:

As a former FredHead, let me say in contrat with Debbie’s claim that I am NOT in the Romney camp.

Nor am I in the Huckabee camp. Nor can/will I EVER be in the Huckabee camp.

Nor am I in the McCain camp.

I am in the camp called “Oh, F*CK! I Got-No-Candidate-I-can-support” camp!

7. StevePerkins says:

When the Huckster drops out in a couple of weeks, I wonder if Rep. Linder will come full circle back to Romney again? He’ll probably claim that he was the first on board with Mitt, and his “leadership” helped push Romney to front-runner status.

8. Briardawg says:

Bill:
    I am a DeKalb precinct captain in the “Oh, F*CK! I Got-No-Candidate-I-can-support” camp; the numbers are growing daily.

9. Doug Deal says:

If you guys hate the prospect of any of the current crop of candidates winning, you should hope for a Giuliani win in Florida. Winning Florida keeps the chance of a brokered convention alive, and the chance to nominate another candidate.

Giuliani finishing second or below means it’s down to 2, and no third candidate will get enough delegates to put the nomination in doubt.

10. Doug Deal says:

debbie, don’t tell Bill to do that,

Voting for Fred Feb 5 is a horrible idea, it is ceeding the selection of the nominee to people who share your views the least.

Early on, I was entusiastic about Fred, but I found out how lazy he is, in true Hollywood actor form. It does not matter what you think you would do if you were elected, if you aren’t willing to work for it, you have no business running.

There are viable candidates with chances of winning the nomination still around. Bill needs to vote for at least the LEAST offensive if he wants any of his influence to be registered in the selection of the nominee. (Read: The anti-McCain crowd needs his help).

11. debbie0040 says:

Bill is not someone that will vote for someone just to stop someone else if he does not believe they are a good candidate.

I have spoken to Rudy supporters about voting for Romney in order to stop McCain and they have been receptive. All Huckabee, Paul and Giuliani supporters should be supporting Mitt in order to stop McCain.

12. debbie0040 says:

Many more Fred Heads moving to Mitt. Romney is the candidate that is closest to Fred that is still in. He is easily attracting Fred Heads because Romney is by far the best equipped to deal with the sluggish economy.

Lawyers for Fred move to Mitt
    By RightSideRedux Posted in 2008 — Comments (33) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »
    Promoted by Erick. This is one heck of a stellar list.

Today, Governor Mitt Romney announced new additions to the Romney for President Advisory Committee on the Constitution and the Courts. This group, chaired by Professor Douglas W. Kmiec, former constitutional legal counsel to President Ronald Reagan, has been advising Governor Romney on the important legal issues confronting the country today.

Joining Romney for President after having served as National Co-Chair of Lawyers for Fred Thompson, Victoria Toensing said, “Appointing strong judges is one of our President’s most important responsibilities. The next President will make a number of appointments, and I am confident Governor Romney will nominate judges in the mold of President Bush’s nominees, Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito. I am proud to work with Governor Romney and this outstanding group of legal minds.”

Also joining the Advisory committee from Lawyers for Fred Thompson are Lizette D. Benedi, Rachel L. Brand, Reginald Brown, Charles J. Cooper, Joseph E. diGenova, Michael R. Dimino, Viet D. Dinh, Noel J. Francisco and Eileen J. O’Connor.

Eugene Scalia, who served in the administrations of Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, has also joined the committee. “Governor Romney has the ability, experience, and values to serve as an exceptional President,” he said. “He appreciates the role of the courts and rule of law in our society.”

Read on . . .

13. StevePerkins says:

Debbie –

Paul supporters? For most of the Republican base, the race is boiling down to “McCain” vs. “Anybody But McCain”… with Romney serving as the token figurehead for the latter camp. I like McCain’s chances, because activists who believe in their candidate tend to work harder than activists who are just lukewarmly “settling” for a candidate.

Still, Paul’s supporters are really a third group… the “Screw Everything About the GOP’s Direction Over the Past Two Decades” camp. I can’t imagine that any of them are going to peel off for a guy like Romney just to stop a guy like McCain… they mostly view those two guys as the same thing. However, since Paul has the funds (and will) to hang in all the way to the convention, it will be interesting to see what happens if and when McCain and Romney are the only other two left. I can see Paul picking up a significant number of protest votes from people who can’t stand either of those two guys. Probably not enough for a serious shot at the nomintion, mind you, but enough to make things interesting.

14. Doug Deal says:

Debbie,

You are assuming Giuliani does not win Florida. It’s a long shot, but if he does, he is as viable as anyone else, especially with all the positive news stories going into Feb 5.

It probably gives him New York, New Jersey, and a big bite of California, Illinois and many other states.

In total, that would give him 57 for Florida (Winner Take All), 60ish from California (Proportional), 52 for NJ (WTA), 101 from NY (WTA), and a decent number from the other proportional states. That probably means at least 400 delegates for Rudy if he wins Florida, assuming just a moderate bounce.

There are only 2,380 delegates to be had, so thats 17% of the total, or about 30-35% of the delegates decided to that point.

So, let’s wait until Florida votes before righting off any of the three main people left in the race.

(And don’t forget that Independents and Democrats cannot vote in Flordia’s closed primary, so McCain should underperform there, helping Romney and Rudy).

15. debbie0040 says:

As for Rudy, he does not have a shot to win Georgia. I have not written Rudy off, just in Georgia.

Think of it as strategic, it would help Rudy for McCain not to win Georgia. Rudy has no shot to win Georgia, but with McCain, you never know.

16. Tea Party says:

Bill and Briar:

The reason I chose my handle is that I am in the “Oh, F*CK! I got-No-Candidate-I-can-support” camp!

For thirty years, either party, it doesn’t matter, has created a set of complex circumstances that will culminate in the economic ruination of America. When ARM’s start escalating, coupled with a rocky economy, will we see a free-fall? Or will it be next year? 2012?

Not doom and gloom, mind you, simple analysis of basic economic indicators conclude we are on a course that cannot be maintained. Not one candidate, save Ron Paul is talking turkey about some very troubling economic basics. Too bad, Ron Paul is not going to win, place, or even show.

Nobody wants to listen, economics are not sexy, no sizzle, no sale. We waggle on about abortion, pro-poor choice (abortion is WRONG, illegal abortions are MORE WRONG), guns, and war. Those red herrings get people passionate.

Talk about derivatives, snooze city.

We watch our crimes on TV!!!

The most commonly GOOGLED US word, ‘sex’. The most commonly GOOGLED word in China: ‘Stocks’

Mitt goes with the wind,
    Rudy is not going to make it.
    Huckabee is absurd, but he would be a perfect choice for the Money Trust, malleable.

America WINS as Dems make history putting up an African American and a Woman. Is America ready for any of that? Doubt it.

17. Doug Deal says:

debbie,

Ah, I see your point. I agree that Giuliani has no chance in Georgia in the primary.

I will support Rudy or Romney if they win the nomination, but will just quietly vote for McCain and never speak of it again.

The two R’s aren’t my favorite candidates, but my favorite candidates did not run, so they are the best we have.

18. ChuckEaton says:

“The most commonly GOOGLED US word, ’sex’. The most commonly GOOGLED word in China: ‘Stocks’”

The Chinese government keeps tighter reigns on the internet. I think the discrepancy has more to do with the perception by the Chinese people that if they type the word “sex” the government will come smashing through their door in the middle of the night like your Elian Gonzalez.

19. Jason Pye says:

A co-worker sent this along to me today…

Electile Dysfunction: the inability to become aroused over any of the choices for president put forth by either party in the 2008 election year.

20. waterboy says:

Very impressive to hear that a group of legislators are shifting their support from Fred to Mitt….especially since Huckabee was just in town for two days. I guess they didn’t “like Mike” enough as a candidate to throw their support his direction.

I say welcome to the party and thanks! Team Mitt is glad to have ya! Thompson is a good man with great character. Hopefully he’ll join the team soon too.

21. jsm says:

Just THINK about the mailers we could put out and have them say at the bottom “Paid for by Oh, F*CK! I Got-No-Candidate-I-can-support!”

Now that’s funny. 🙂

22. ConservativeCaucus says:

Debbie,

I appreciate your advice for Paul and Huckabee supporters. So, I assume that you will vote for Huckabee to stop McCain if he is higher than Romney in the polls in order to stop him, correct?

23. waterboy says:

CHA-CHING!!!!

Sweeping up after Thompson: Romney adds 11 to his list
    Thursday, January 24, 2008, 05:40 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign on Thursday rolled out a list of 11 Republican state lawmakers it had gathered up in the wake of the collapse of the Fred Thompson campaign.

Top among them was House Rules Chairman Earl Ehrhart of Powder Springs. Senate President pro tem Eric Johnson of Savannah switched from Thompson to Romney on Monday — a day ahead of Thompson’s exit.

In a press conference at the state Capitol, Speaker pro tem Mark Burkhalter of Alpharetta declared that Romney had now supplanted Thompson as the Republican campaign with the most state lawmakers on its side.

“You’ll see more next week. I’ll make that prediction,” Burkhalter said. The No. 2 leader of the House said Romney’s new emphasis on economics was registering with all the current talk of a downturn.

“Really, we need someone who’s a turnaround artist,” he said.

Romney organized missed at least one lawmaker. As the press conference began, state Sen. Chip Rogers of Woodstock, who until Tuesday was head of the Thompson campaign in Georgia, trundled down an adjacent set of stairs.

The Romney converts waved him over. Rogers quickly ducked out of sight.

Among those newly pledged to Romney, in addition to Johnson and Ehrhart:

— Sen. John Douglas of Social Circle

— Sen. Lee Hawkins of Gainesville

— Sen. Cecil Staton of Macon

— Rep. Tim Bearden of Villa Rica

— Rep. Steve Davis of McDonough

— Rep. Johnny Floyd of Cordele

— Rep. Doug Holt of Social Circle

— Rep. Billy Horne of Newnan

— Rep. John Lunsford of McDonough

— Rep. Tom Rice of Norcross.

24. ConservativeCaucus says:

Waterboy,

I imagine that there is a pretty good list of legislators who will endorse Huckabee as well.

25. Bill Simon says:

And so…we will find out in the end that who endorses who will have absolutely ZERO effect on who gets ultimately elected…but, I’m certain the winnign team will all jump up and claim THEIR endorsement won the majority of voters their way.

Politics is such an obscene sport to be involved in.

26. waterboy says:

Caucus –
    That’s fine….but I didn’t “imagine” these. They are real and it sounds like there are more to come. Good stuff!

27. Arkansas:
    Delegates At Stake: 34. Awarded Proportionally

Talk Business Quarterly poll conducted by Global Strategy Group (D)
    Mid-date: 12/14/2007

Rudy Giuliani 12%
    Newt Gingrich 8%
    Fred Thompson 5%
    Mitt Romney 4%
    Tom Tancredo 1%
    Unsure 10%

I hardly doubt his numbers have dipped much, if anything I would suspect they’ve moved upward slightly.

28. juliobarrios says:

“Romney had now supplanted Thompson as the Republican campaign with the most state lawmakers on its side.”

It seemed to do Thompson so much good. At some point you’ve got the tail wagging the dog.

29. TrueConservative says:

Laurens, shut up and and eat your sandwich. Did Romney send you a signed copy of his magical underwear.

30. GOPeach says:

Mitt Romney founded Bain Capital

Bain Capital bought Clear Channel which is the largest owner of radio stations in the United States

Rush Limbaugh, Fox, and the rest of the media are all big Romney fans because they are scared stiff to slander Romney because of the influence which Romney and his cronies have in allowing the EIB Network to purchase air time.

Bottom line the media, and Washington Insiders are all in bed together to take out Huckabee’s chances as the Republican Candidate

You should also look at Bain Capital and its partnership with the Carlyle Group… which is linked to a lot of very interesting people in both Saudia Arabia and China.

31. GOPeach says:

Bill …

I find it a bit amusing when pragmatics call those who know how to follow the money trail – “conspirasist” —

Bain Capital’s little bed buddy http://www.carlyle.com/

ROMNEY… was a Mormon Missionary to France for 2 years before becoming a Bishop and CEO of the Olympics…

Is it just me… or is this but a GLOBALIST like we have NEVER SEEN before….

Call me what you want…. but I honestly have a hard time sleeping with so many “CONSERVATIVES” with him….

Oh FYI …. Some Log Cabin Republicans have joined the Huckabee Campiagn because they know Rudy can’t win, McCain & Kennedy are too chummy, and … Mitt Flopp can not be trusted.

32. Brian Laurens says:

??? Have I posted here? How did you know I had a panera for lunch? Sorry man, do not have all that much time on my hands to keep up with PP anymore. Two full time jobs and 15 hours of classes so I can graduate in May.

33. debbie0040 says:

I would support McCain over Huckabee without hesitation. McCain is more truthworthy that the Huckster and more electable.

Peach let’s see that link about some Log Cabin Republicans supporting Huckabee. You know you have been supporting Huckabee so long you have begun to be untruthful just like he is.

Waterboy, I am not all suprised about Huckabee doing so badly.

debbie0040 // Jan 24, 2008 at 6:58 am

Huckabee alienates GOP in Arkansas
    By Stephen Dinan
    January 24, 2008

BATTLE-READY: As Arkansas governor, Mike Huckabee succeeded at advancing his causes and was willing to fight anyone who didn’t agree, state Republicans said. (Associated Press)

——————————————————————————–
    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Jake Files was a newly elected representative when all two dozen Arkansas House Republicans met for their first caucus in 1999. They had doubled their numbers in elections two months earlier, and were ready to join Republican Gov. Mike Huckabee in pushing for conservative government.

That was when Brenda Turner, the governor’s chief of staff, entered.

“Just walked in, shut the door and said, ‘There’s two kinds of people in the world: those who are for Mike Huckabee and those who are against Mike Huckabee. I’ll do everything I can to help the first group. I’ll do everything I can to hurt the second,’ ” said Mr. Files, who left the legislature after two terms.

And that’s the way it was.

“Not only would he not help you, he would go out of his way to do things in opposition to you,” Mr. Files said.

34. debbie0040 says:

The more Georgia voters find out about Huckabee’s support of the Whitehouse-Senate Immigration Amnesty bill last year and his record on immigration, the more they will turn away from supporting him…

Huckabee is running in 4th place in Florida and he is not attracting support outside of one issue evangelicals and Fair Tax supporters.

35. debbie0040 says:

Thursday, January 24, 2008
    What they’re saying about the debate
    From MittRomney.Com:

MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough: “I think conservatives probably related to Mitt Romney, talking about tax cuts, talking about being a governor, talking about what he did in the private sector for all those years. On the economic part of this debate, I don’t think there is any doubt that this was Mitt Romney’s best performance.” (MSNBC’s “Live,” 1/24/08)

– Scarborough: “The first 30 minutes – it was about the economy. I thought Mitt Romney absolutely dominated that segment of it.” (MSNBC’s “Live,” 1/24/08)

Time’s Mark Halperin: “Romney A-” (Mark Halperin, “Who Wants To Be The Nominee?” Time’s The Page, http://thepage.time.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

MSNBC’s Chuck Todd: “I thought this was Mitt Romney’s best debate performance.” (MSNBC’s “Live,” 1/24/08)

National Review’s Rich Lowry: “Romney has seemed authoritative – confident and on his game…” (Rich Lowry, “The Debate So Far,” National Review’s The Corner, http://corner.nationalreview.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

– Lowry: “‘We’re the Party of Change’ … Home-run answer from Romney. It was drawn from his standard lines on the stump, but a terrific message, convincingly delivered.” (Rich Lowry, “‘We’re The Party Of Change’,” National Review’s The Corner, http://corner.nationalreview.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

– Lowry: “Good night for Romney.” (Rich Lowry, “Good Night For Romney,” National Review’s The Corner, http://corner.nationalreview.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

– Lowry: “Romney is dominating the last half-an-hour.” (Rich Lowry, “In Terms Of Sheer Time…” National Review’s The Corner, http://corner.nationalreview.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

Townhall’s Mary Katharine Ham: “Romney just stole that issue from both Rudy and McCain. His answer was intelligent and far-reaching. I liked the idea of high-risk areas getting together to pool risk. Rudy’s been trying to pander with this idea and I think both Romney and McCain made the pandering look silly by taking a broader approach.” (Mary Katharine Ham, “The Cat Fund,” Townhall Blog, http://www.townhall.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

National Review’s Kate O’Beirne: “Romney’s insights about his state’s National Guard was helpful. He seems particularly aggressive and sure-footed tonight.” (Kate O’Beirne, “On Offense,” National Review’s The Corner, http://corner.nationalreview.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

Michelle Malkin: “Excellent Romney answer on Iraq. Strong, tough, focused on the surrendercrats. He takes on Dems for their withdrawalmania?cites debate in SC when Hillary refused to say she wanted to win and recycled Code Pink line.” (Michelle Malkin, “GOP Florida Debate,” http://michellemalkin.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

– Malkin: “Romney excoriates Dems and says ‘how dare they’ take credit for surge.” (Michelle Malkin, “GOP Florida Debate,” http://michellemalkin.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

– Malkin: “Romney just out-McCained McCain on the war.” (Michelle Malkin, “GOP Florida Debate,” http://michellemalkin.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

The Atlantic’s Marc Ambinder: “Romney was swell on the economy…” (Marc Ambinder, “Romney Made A Strong First Impression… No One Tried To Jab At Him,” Twitter Blog, http://twitter.com/marcambinder, Posted 1/24/08)

Hot Air’s Bryan Preston: “Mitt Romney is asked whether the war in Iraq was worth the sacrifice and effort. He delivers the best answer of the bunch and punches the hippies in the Democrat party to boot.” (Bryan Preston, “Debate Highlights: Huckabee On The Economic Stimulus; Romney On Iraq,” Hot Air, http://hotair.com/, Posted 1/24/08)

36. debbie0040 says:

Thursday, January 24, 2008
    What they’re saying about the debate
    From MittRomney.Com:

37. Painterman says:

For the 10 years he was governor of Arkansas, Mr. Huckabee was at war with much of his party.”

Hmmmm …. is this the MO of Southern Governors??

38. debbie0040 says:

Waterboy, I found this interesting in that link you posted:

“We’ve yet to campaign here for the Republican nomination. Once we do, we expect to see support all across the state,” Huckabee spokeswoman Alice Stewart said.”

If he was as popular as the Huckabee campaign said he was, then why the need to campaign in his home state? The chickens are coming home to roost for the Huckster….

That would be like Sonny losing a straw poll in Cobb or Gwinnett.

39. Buyer beware, before I go read my Milton Friedman books, this is a little the Dems are cooking up for the dear friend. http://youtube.com/watch?v=32ARsqB2qJs

Debbie, that last post is hysterical. You campaign anywhere there is an election, especially the home crowd. Mitt, FINALLY, achieved the top spot on the poll in his home state. His neighbors still haven’t given him that designation.

At this point, no one can legitimately say they have a lock on the nomination. Its going to be real work.

40. debbie0040 says:

Huckabee should not have come in third place in a straw poll in the largest Republican County in Arkansas. Only Republicans participated in the straw poll. Huckabee should not have had to campaign if he was as popular as he claimed to be.

41. GOPeach says:

Debbie–

You are such a loose canon. First it’s Fred, then Rudy, the Mitt – now McCAIN –

Clearly you have a vendetta for Gov. Huckabee …and I truly think it is personal.

Like I said in the beginning – you have unresolved issues with Christians who are bold about their faith while running for office.

42. Bill Simon says:

Peach,

It takes being “bold”, huh? By that explanation, Muslim terrorists can just explain to the world they are being “bold” to express their faith in the manner they choose.

43. debbie0040 says:

Peach, I am supporting Romney but said I would vote for McCain before I would vote for Huckabee..

Huckabee will lose Florida. The only states he may win is Arkansas, Georgia and maybe Alabama. Those, states along with Iowa, are not enough to win the nomination

I don’t have issues with Christians who are bold in their faith. I have issues with candidates using their religion to get votes. I have issues with someone who is supposed to be a Baptist preacher that lies and distorts his record.

44. debbie0040 says:

Donny Osmond calls Karen Handel..

And that’s why they call it puppy love
    Friday, January 25, 2008, 09:19 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As other Republican candidates reach into Georgia to scoop up survivors of the Fred Thompson campaign, it’s helpful to review the steps some presidential operations are willing to take in order to tap into a local figure’s network of political contacts.

Last May, Secretary of State Karen Handel had a leisurely, get-to-know-me session with a visiting Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor.

As the more weighty aspects of the conversation tailed off, the subject of Romney’s time in Salt Lake City, as savior of the 2002 Winter Olympics, rose up.

Handel wondered out loud if Romney knew Donny Osmond, who was rumored to live in Utah. The candidate said, yes, he knew the family.

45. GOPeach says:

Oh and Debbie-

I have issues with candidates PRETENDING to be Christians and people like you believing they ARE when they are in a CULT like Mormon Bishop Globalist Mitt Flop Ro-MONEY

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

46. GOPeach says:

47. RuralDem says:

I still fail to see how anyone can support Mitt for any reason other than the R beside his name.

The guy changes with the wind.

If he loses this election, can you honestly tell me you think he’ll stay being the conservative he pretends to be?

48. rugby fan says:

I don’t often like to speak for people, which puts my in contrast with GOPeach, but I think I can safely say Tommy does not appreciate you Peach.

Hard to believe that anyone could feel that way, I know.

49. GOPeach says:

Tommy –

Here’s something for you and the little legislators to think about ….

Mormon theology says Jesus Christ came to America to teach the indigenous people, who were actually a tribe of Israel, but that Christian churches in the Old World fell into apostasy. Then, starting in 1820, God restored his “latter-day” religion by dispatching the angel Moroni to reveal new Scriptures to a simple farm boy named Joseph Smith near Palmyra, N.Y. Although the original tablets, written in what is called Reformed Egyptian, were taken up again to heaven, Smith, who received visits from God the father, Jesus, John the Baptist and saints Peter, James and John, translated and published the Book of Mormon in 1830. He continued to receive divine Scripture and revelations. One of these was that Christ will return to reign on earth and have the headquarters of his kingdom in a Mormon temple in Jackson County, Mo. (Over time, the church has purchased 14,465 acres of land there.)

Bishop Mitt Romney believes this and teaches this…. but hey…. that’s cool…. because he is RICH!!! He has a lot of money ALL over the WORLD!!! Soooooo he is GREAT!!!!

50. GOPeach says:

Here’s a cute little poem:

There once was a candidate named Mitt
    Being a Mormon he’s full of shit
    To be number one
    Would be lots of fun
    But smart people won’t vote for the twit

51. GOPeach says:

After reading the list of endorsements …. I am wondering what they put in water in Social Circle??? Salt!! ( like Salt Lake)….

I think Holt and Douglas need to drink more coffee and tea at the Blue Willow and Read their BIBLE’S more often!!! Billie would be shocked by their endorsements… I will make sure she finds out about this.

52. debbie0040 says:

True Conservative in the GOP Primary in 2006, I picked Reed, Handel and Black.

2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

Coulter on Romney, go to the link and read the entire column. She makes a lot of sense.

I’ve been casually taking swipes at Mitt Romney for the past year based on the assumption that, in the end, Republicans would choose him as our nominee. My thinking was that Romney would be our nominee because he is manifestly the best candidate.

I had no idea that Republican voters in Iowa and New Hampshire planned to do absolutely zero research on the candidates and vote on the basis of random impulses.

Dear Republicans: Please do one-tenth as much research before casting a vote in a presidential election as you do before buying a new car.

One clue that Romney is our strongest candidate is the fact that Democrats keep viciously attacking him while expressing their deep respect for Mike Huckabee and John McCain.

The candidate Republicans should be clamoring for is the one liberals are feverishly denouncing. That is Mitt Romney by a landslide.

New York Times columnist Frank Rich says Romney “is trying to sell himself as a leader,” but he “is actually a follower and a panderer, as confirmed by his flip-flops on nearly every issue.”

But Rich is in a swoon over Huckabee. I haven’t seen Rich this excited since they announced “Hairspray” was coming to Broadway.

Rich has continued to hyperventilate over “populist” charmer Huckabee even after it came to light that Huckabee had called homosexuality an “abomination.” Normally, any aspersions on sodomy or any favorable mentions of Christianity would lead to at least a dozen hysterical columns by Frank Rich.

Rich treated Mel Gibson’s movie “The Passion of the Christ” as if it were a Leni Riefenstahl Nazi propaganda film. (On a whim, I checked to see if Rich had actually compared Gibson to Riefenstahl in one of his many “Passion” reviews and yes, of course he had.)

Curiously, however, Huckabee’s Christianity doesn’t bother Rich. In column after column, Rich hails Huckabee as the only legitimate leader of the Republican Party. This is like a girl in high school who hates you telling you your hair looks great.

Liberals claim to be enraged at Romney for being a “flip-flopper.” I’ve looked and looked, and the only issue I can find that Romney has “flipped” on is abortion. When running for office in Massachusetts — or, for short, “the Soviet Union” — Romney said that Massachusetts was a pro-choice state and that he would not seek to change laws on abortion.

Romney’s first race was against Sen. Teddy Kennedy — whom he came closer to beating than any Republican ever had. If Romney needed to quote “The Communist Manifesto” to take out that corpulent drunk, all men of good will would owe him a debt of gratitude.

Even when Romney was claiming to support Roe v. Wade, he won the endorsement of Massachusetts Citizens for Life — a group I trust more than the editorial board of The New York Times. Romney’s Democratic opponents always won the endorsements of the very same pro-choice groups now attacking him as a “flip-fl