Ensure GOP Defeat = Support Romney?

That’s the only logic that I can think of that would explain why anyone at this point would support Mitt Romney for President.  We need to be looking to nominate someone for President that actually can win when it counts, November 2008.

Mitt Romney represents the corpatocracy special interests.  In my view, those that are jumping on board are participating in the slow death of the GOP brand and ensuring that Democrats will be healthy, wealthy, and around to kick our butts for a generation or two.

Consider these head to heads in how Romney performs against Hillary Clinton.  He loses in all the polls, CNN and Hotline.  Think Obama would be easier?  Think again, Obama bests Romney by 22 points in the CNN poll and 30 points in the Hotline poll.

I’m being blunt, but it’s my opinion, and this is largely an opinion site.

1. Jace Walden says:

No Republican in the race has a chance of beating whomever the Democratic nominee is. McCain has the best shot of any legitmate candidate. (Giuliani is no longer a legitmate candidate), but even he will come up short.

The GOP pissed away any good will that folks might have had for it by cotowing to the Big Government Bush Administration for 7 years. Republicans might as well invest in some Vaseline and a broomstick so you can start warming up. President Clinton/Obama is going to be a reality.

2. Bull Moose says:

Part of the problem too are these Republicans who backed big spending special interest dominated candidates in office who talk one way at home and go to Washington and vote another way… You can’t blame it all on Bush, that would be too easy.

McCain can restore our greatness as a country, trust in our government, and he won’t be afraid to hurt some feelings along the way in making it happen.

3. eburke says:

I’m tired of pundits like Limbaugh telling me that I’m not conservative unless I vote for Romney. Limbaugh gave the kiss of death to Thompson and now he has turned me off to Romney.

4. Bull Moose says:

AMEN Eburke… I mean, seriously, Rush Limbaugh? Are Conservative Republican voters so stupid that we can’t tell who the genuine deal is unless Rush Limbaugh comes on the air and gives his blessing?

I think Republicans, especially Independent Conservatives, are smarter than that.

5. Holly says:

Good point, Bull Moose. It’s not all Bush’s fault because there were 55 Republicans in the Senate and 232 Republicans in the House who had voting power in the 109th Congress. That doesn’t eve bring up the Republicans in the 107th and 108th, but the same is true.

6. Jace Walden says:

Bull,

Believe it or not, I kind of agree with you. As you know, I used to be a big fan of McCain, until he started rubbing shoulders with the Jerry Falwell’s (God Rest His Soul) of the world. It seemed like he had sold out his “Maverick” status to the establishment.

As this campaign season has hobbled on, a lot of people like me have taken a 2nd look at McCain. As much as he may have “sold out” or had at least given the appearance of having done so, he’s heads and shoulders above John Kerry, Jr. (Mitt), Mike Hickabee, the 9/11 Enthusiast, and the laziest man in politics.

He is not afraid to take an unpopular stance. That is actually refreshing.

It is unfortunate for McCain that the GOP as a whole has pissed away any good will that it may have had with independent voters. McCain’s best chance to become POTUS was in 2000. No Republican has a chance (or deserves a chance) this time around.

7. drjay says:

a this point even if it is an uphill battle for the gop to win in november–i would not put it past the dems to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory–and mccain would be best positioned to take advantage of an opportunity to woo back the indy’s in the middle–assuming the the rest of the gop is mature enough not to throw a hiss fit if “their guy” is not the nominee

8. Ms_midtown says:

Jace – “No Republican has a chance (or deserves a chance) this time around.”
    I AGREE

Republicans thought Gulianni and Arnold would be energizers and draw talent for the future. But DeLay and Frist destroyed it all. Republicans need more Bobby Jindals or they will be in for a long drought.

9. IndyInjun says:

SFulton – Leave it to the demented Fox News to keep using that old news to attack Ron Paul. The head of the Austin Texas NAACP has known Dr. Paul for 20 years and correctly ascribes digging this trash up as simply politics.

The MSM dug up the same kind of crap on Buchanan in 1992, resulting in 3 terms of corrupt Bush leadership that has sunk this country.

FWIW, Ron Paul has raised a $million today in honor of MLK, while the liar Huckabee made a push to raise s $million within a week of winning Iowa and could not do it!

The forces in play will mean that USA will be OUT of Iraq, just as Paul says, and that we have a financial collapse, just as Paul warned of.

Ron Paul will emerge as the wisest figure in American politics and he has the money, the support, and the rightness of position to dog whomever is POTUS for years.

10. DMZDave says:

Polling today is largely irrelevant in terms of what the situation will be in November and who can win. If the economy continues to head south, I don’t believe that the answer will be professional politicians with no economic experience or even a clue about what makes the economy run like McCain, Obama or Hillary. If it’s the economy stupid, than Romney could look pretty appealing to many. If the main issue is once again Islamist terrorism or some other major national security threat than either Giuliani or McCain could look more appealing. If everything is hunky-dory, than “change” and Obama could seem reasonable.

I can’t see any scenario in which Huckabee would be the most appealing choice unless he and Clinton were the nominees in which case we would actually have to choose between a man from Hope and the wife of a man from Hope – meaning no hope for the rest of us. Bottom line, I’m with Eric Johnson, I have no idea who I’ll be supporting tomorrow let alone November.

11. Bull Moose says:

I’m ignoring GOPeach. His faith has nothing to do with it.

John McCain at times has been a lone warrior in Congress fighting for reform. How refreshing it will be to have that lone warrior in charge of the veto pen.

Spending got out of control. We had people flocking to defend Delay, lying about their Abramoff connections, and making excuses… America saw through it and they did what any reasonable person did – they rejected the BS.

McCain will put them all back in their place or help lead the way with real Republicans and Independents committed to leading America forward.

12. Burdell says:

Bull Moose,

I will support McCain the moment he renounces campaign finance “reform.”

McCain may be against more spending, but his views on campaign finance show clearly that he is not against more government.

13. Jace Walden says:

Bull,

Convince me to vote for McCain. Here are the criteria.

(1) I belive in a free-market economy. No corporate welfare, lowest possible tax rate, cut all non-essential government spending.

(2) I believe in a non-interventionalist foreign policy. I want a strong national defense, but the best way to achieve that is not to invade and occupy every country in the middle east.

(3) I believe in freedom of speech. I don’t like the fact that McCain-Feingold limited the speaking ability of organizations that I donate to in order to speak for me.

(4) Government should not be involved in the interactions between consenting adults.

Convince me why McCain would be better for me than Ron Paul. One other criteria:

(5) None of this “He’s the only one that can beat the Democrat” nonsense.

Thanks.

14. Ms_midtown says:

The DOW is set to open -500 tomorrow. So at least it gives Floridians something to worry about.
    Romney’s biggest problem is women under 40 and African Americans. He can’t change that perception in 9 months.

15. DMZDave says:

IndyInjun: I don’t think it is unfair to hold Ron Paul accountable for remarks written in his name in a newsletter that also bears his name. If he wasn’t reading and approving of articles that bore his name when he really didn’t have a lot on his plate,what makes anyone think he would be able to apply oversight of the huge federal bureaucracy with all the distractions of the presidency?

16. Tommy_a2b says:

Can we start a ban GOPeach Campaign. I know Erick needs her 3000 posts per day but I personally guarantee I would post more if I did not have to filter through her ramblings.
    Just a thought,
    Tommy

GOPeach // Jan 21, 2008 at 2:13 pm

MITT ROMNEY is an embarassment to the GOP and AMERICA!

He is a NUT JOB!!! Mormon Bishop!

17. IndyInjun says:

DMZDave – And it is just as legit to counter that Ron Paul has more in common with MLK than anyone the liars and deceivers at FAUX news is promoting for POTUS.

Oh, too bad, their guy Julie Annie, did not make it. Maybe he can call for help on his 9/11 radio…..

18. waterboy says:

The fact that this is a front page post by a McCain addict is what is asinine. Gee…no bias there. Desperate times call for desperate measures I reckon.

GOPeach is a loser. I think we can all agree on that.

19. debbie0040 says:

McCain still has a huge issue with his stance on illegal immigration. He doesn’t call it amnesty but it is…

The anti illegal immigration groups are talking about Lou Dobbs as an independant.

Then there is McCain Feingold…

20. John Konop says:

DMZDave

Are you serous? You think his news letter is more important than reading legislation to vote on? If more lawmakers had read the legislation and voted no like Ron Paul we would not be 9 trillion in the red.

It seems you are supporting bad oversight over a publication vs. a solid voting record.

Unless you can convince me that Highway bill, Energy Bill, No Child bill , Drug Bill…….. is good legislation I am lost by your comment.

21. Lee Benedict says:

Romney is a bit of a pompous ass, all theater, and basically a self-serving windbag who waffles on positions, tip-toes aroundmany questions, and will occassionally make sense…but that is overshadowed by being a pompous ass, windbag, waffler…
    McCain will have major difficulty getting votes from Republicans; he has done well with Independents.
    I have NEVER liked Rudy!!!
    If I had to vote today, it would be a game-time decision between Huckabee and Paul.
    Regarding Hillary, she has so much baggage that it will be difficult for her to win. However, she only needs to carry California, Illinois, NY, and a few other bastions of liberalism and socialism in order to win the nomination and win in November.

22. IndyInjun says:

Jace,

Thanks, you just reminded me to send out a report to a client, along with a bill, of course.

What would Ron Paul and I do without the internet?

23. GOPeach says:

Jace-

You are a REAL man! I am eternally grateful.

I am often so misunderstood by wusses. But that’s okay – As long as I have you Jace – a real man!

24. debbie0040 says:

Sunday, 2 March 1980

Former President Gerald Ford quoted by New York Times as saying Reagan cannot win in November and that he would consider running if GOP needs him…

Monday, Jun. 21, 1976

Although agreeing that Reagan cannot win the election, even so devoted a Ford adviser as Mel Laird seemed to take issue with the tactic of painting him as an extremist. “I don’t consider Reagan an extremist,” said Laird. “I think he’s got greater popularity inside the Republican Party than any other candidate. Reagan is much more popular than Ford in the rank and file, but you can’t win the election in that area. Declared Republicans make up only 17% to 19% of the electorate.” The remark about Reagan’s popularity was a startling admission from a member of the Ford inner circle.

25. JRM2016 says:

BM,

Can you tell me how:

–McCain-Feingold (BCRA) advanced conservative principles?

–McCain-Kennedy (Immigration Bill) would have advanced conservative principles?

–Voting against the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts advanced conservative principles?

I look forward to hearing from you.

26. John Konop says:

JRM2016

Why do you think voting against tax cuts without a proper spending cut is conservative? Do you think a 9 trillion dollar debt and climbing is conservative?

27. Rick Day says:

I have to admit that reading these threads that have absolutely zero trace of unity, does make my day.

I tried to tell you people in the last mid-terms, if you do not shake these corporate apologist candidates you would lose the WH for decades.

Remember the term, “watching the Republicans eat their young?”

I just donated $100 to the Liberty PAC for Ron Paul TV buys. We raised $5,000 in less than 48 hours with Jan 28th as the deadline. I also urged the organizers to double to goal!

Aren’t you excited that I am supporting th Republican Party for the first time in my life (except for that Reed/Cagle crossover vote, which was disgusting enough itself to touch that screen for a Republicritter)??

(shakes head) you poor fools; Pride IS the deadliest of sins, yay!

28. GOPeach says:

Tommy , Tommy, Tommy…

Who puts those silly little ideas in your head, Hon?

29. Redcatcher says:

Look folks it makes no difference who the GOP canidate is he is not going to win. How do I know this? The Dow just closed down 520 pts and the markets weren’t even open today. The Dow did trade as well as some others. When it opens in the morning God knows what is going to happen. The American people vote with their eye on their pocketbooks and the economy is going to be a huge issue in the comming months. We are going to need a real leader and I am afraid that there is not one on either side.

30. eburke says:

I think that a Huckabee/McCain or McCain/Huckabee ticket would be very attractive. I am leaning toward Gov. Huckabee on Feb 5th because of his support for the Fair Tax, his experience in state government, he is a regular guy who is not running a mean spirited campaign and his positions on cultural issues that are important to me.

31. debbie0040 says:

Peach said ,”Look- I am a retired professional and I have worked myself to a place where I can actually blog. I had not idea I could have so much fun!”

Now we see why Jace is attracted to Peach. Jace, you devil, you 🙂

32. IndyInjun says:

Redcatcher –

When the history of these times is written, it will tell of a nation of unprecedented CORRUPTION.

The excesses of the FED and the bankers, even the local ones, may have destroyed the financial system.

The GOP ran the Fed and the regulatory agencies with a totally blind eye.

Some day go to Opensecrets.org and see who funded George W. Bush, the worst POTUS in history.

Go to RedState and look who cheered him on.

Dr. Ron Paul is a later-day prophet without reward in his own country.

33. Bull Moose says:

Can anyone tell me how McCain/Feingold Campaign Finance reform has affected their freedom of speech or limited their conservative groups? It’s just not the case.

And, the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, he has said that the only reason he voted against them was because there were no spending cuts. The big spenders have turned our economy upside down. Look at the DOW! If we had taken the McCain position then to tie tax cuts with spending cuts, we’d be talking about further tax cuts today.

No one is going to agree 100% with everyone. But in these uncertain times, John McCain is the fight man for the job.

34. ConservativeCaucus says:

(Repeat post from yesterday that I was hoping to get an answer to)

Debbie,

You very well may accomplish your goal of stopping Huckabee and get McCain’s pathway to citizenship as your reward.

35. CHelf says:

Debbie,

Please tell me how paying a fine, back taxes, back of the line, etc. is amnesty. It’s by far more than what is required by the staunch border first crowd. Right now it’s a slap on the wrist and a free trip to the border. So by all means please enlighten me how paying a fine, etc. is amnesty. If what McCain called for is amnesty then you better line up to protest parking and speeding tickets.

36. GOPeach says:

DEBBIE – Is not going to stop JACK!

The Huckabee Crowd is stoked! I just got an e-mail from the Cobb County Director of the Huckabee Campaign who is not a weak campaigner.

37. debbie0040 says:

Huckabee has no real chance to win the nomination. If he couldn’t win South Carolina, he can’t win. Huckabee has NO appeal outside of evangelicals and he doesn’t have all that support.

If you want to stop McCain then support Romney. He is the only one that can stop McCain . He has the money, poll numbers and support.

I don’t believe Huckabee’s promises for a minute about illegal immigraion.

“He’s an open borders drag queen, and he’s piling on the make-up and jewels again to disguise his pro-illegal immigration record in time for the South Carolina primary. The Washington Times reports that he has signed a NumbersUSA pledge to oppose any new shamnesty measures and reduce illegal immigration through attrition. I don’t believe Mike Huckabee:”

38. Painterman says:

Let’s see McCain Feingold is a violation of the 1st amendment. The oath of office John McCain took stated that he would uphold the Constitution of the US, and yet because he was so pissed at loosing the 2000 election he violates that oath and we get McCain Feingold. We’re to trust him as President when he can’t even uphold his oath of office as a Senator?That’s one strike against McCain. 2 he was all for amnesty for the illigals. 3 he fought the tax breaks and was part of the gang of 14 that help ensure Republican defeat in 06. 4 he was part of the Keating 5, the man has a long record of not being honorable, except for his Military Service. His elected service isn’t worth the ink it’s printed on and I didn’t say because Rush said it I believe it, I said I agree with him that McCain as the GOP nominee spells a sure loss in Nov. and moves the GOP further into the minority for years to come. Plus he’s so darn old. I don’t think his unstable mind would last 6 months and I don’t want the loon that close to the button.

39. debbie0040 says:

If illegals benefit from their activity of being in this country illegally then it is amnesty…

You can take a skunk and paint over his stripe to try to disguise his true identity, but in the end it is still a skunk and still smells as bad.

40. ConservativeCaucus says:

Debbie, you fail to address the real issue – McCain winning in SC is a bigger blow to Romney than you currently realize.

You were so excited to knock down a candidate who (at least on paper) agrees with you on most issues and have now empowered the GOP candidate who (again, on paper) you most disagree with.

What Thompson did was effectively deny a SC win for Huckabee and could very well have handed the nomination to McCain.

I thought you were against McCain-Feingold, against McCain-Kennedy, for tax cuts, etc. Do you not agree that McCain’s win makes him MUCH more likely to win the nomination?

41. Holly says:

The primaries in 2000 took place later in the year, and it was already more certain the nominee would be one of two people. I can’t see how McCain getting less of the vote this time means anything because the situation is quite different.

42. Ms_midtown says:

debbie0040 – “If you want to stop McCain then support Romney” I agree , good strategy.
    Rudy can slow down McCain, only Romney has enough core Republicans to stop him.
    ( even though I want McCain vs Obama ).

43. Bull Moose says:

Romney spent more $$$ in South Carolina than all the other candidates COMBINED and came in 4th place.

McCain/Huckabee 08

44. Jason Pye says:

Yeah, cause every conservative group or writer is just lining up to support it.

It is a crime to say something negative about a candidate in an issue ad 60 days before a general election. How does that not violate the First Amendment?

I respect McCain for his stance on spending and immigration (though I didn’t support his legislation due to the REAL ID Act provisions), but he is does not seem to believe in individual rights.

45. Brian Laurens says:

BullMoose says:

“Have you not heard McCain recently on Immigration? He said, he heard us. He understands that we don’t trust the government to secure the border and that is why he is supporting securing the border first and having it certified by the Governors. Essentially the Isakson position.”

Sounds like a flipflopper. McCain has to be beat. Conservatives need to coalesce around the conservative candidate and consolidate now. I with Romney would go ahead and call Huckabee and offer him the VP spot. Guaranteed win nomination there.

Romney/Huckabee 2008

Debbie- email me.

46. CHelf says:

Debbie,

You never answered my question. You see nothing wrong with shipping someone back to Mexico but somehow paying a fine and back taxes is considered amnesty? How do they benefit if they are being punished by a fine and taxes? Again, I guess you better march on city hall and the county courthouse and protest the hundreds of other crimes punishable by paying fines. But somehow just sending someone on a scenic tour across America back to Mexico is “getting tough”. Your position is much closer to amnesty.

47. CHelf says:

Brian,

I’ve yet to see a single Mitt supporter prove that Mitt is actually conservative. If you look at his record, he’s all over the board. I’m not sure where this notion that Mitt is the conservative candidate comes from. I’d be happy to read something proving he was but to date his own statements and records have yet to indicate he truly is.

48. debbie0040 says:

If you take away incentives for illegals to be here, they will leave. (Jobs, health care, etc.)

How do they benefit? They are allowed to stay in this country. There are many people that are trying to come to this country that are following our immigration laws that would love just to have to pay a fine and taxes to be able to come here.

Others follow immigration laws and illegal’s behavior should not be rewarded. If they are allowed to stay in this country without moving back to their home country and get at the end of the line, it is amnesty. The overwhelming majority of Americans oppose this touch back amnesty and helped kill the Kennedy-McCain Amnesty bill.

CC, if I had to choose between McCain being the nominee and the Huckster, I would choose McCain. At least McCain is not dishonest… We needed to stop Huckabee first and foremost then stop McCain.

49. debbie0040 says:

I think that Rudy supporters should help Romney stop McCain as well. Rudy can not win Georgia, but it would benefit him for McCain to lose Georgia soundly.

Huckabee does not have all the support of evangelicals and non evangelicals do not like Huckabee.

GOP Christians’ loyalties divided; Huckabee leads

In Georgia, a poll this month by Mason-Dixon Polling and Research for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution could offer some insight. The poll, which sampled 400 registered voters and had a margin of error of 5 percentage points, found that 31 percent of Republicans would most likely vote for Huckabee, putting him in first place.

Among poll respondents who ranked moral and family issues as most important (10 percent), 56 percent plan to vote for Huckabee. Nearly 40 percent of respondents who described themselves as born-again Christians said they would vote for Huckabee.

But the poll also found that about 40 percent of Georgia’s born-again Christians are supporting one of the other candidates: McCain, former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani or former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee. And about 20 percent of those voters are undecided.

Sadie Fields, chairman of the Georgia Christian Alliance, said she hasn’t decided whom to support. She likes Huckabee’s stance on abortion, but is wary about some of his positions on illegal immigration. As governor, he advocated that the children of illegal immigrants be eligible for scholarships and in-state college tuition.

Another concern for Fields is Huckabee’s populist rhetoric that she thinks pits Main Street against Wall Street. She said Romney’s experience in the business world could help the nation’s flagging economy.

“There’s nothing wrong with making money,” Fields said. “People who make money typically tend to know how to help you keep more of your money.”

50. debbie0040 says:

I can tell you that if Romney would announce Huckabee as his VP now, most Thompson people would go elsewhere…

51. GOPeach says:

HUCKABEE would NEVER be Romney’s VIP!!!

Please do not spend another moment worrying about THAT!!!!

You see, HUCKABEE has this thing called CHRISTIANITY whereby he would not COMPROMISE THAT to be in politics like some people would.

How can ANYONE who REALLY believes and teaches others ( as a Mormon Bishop) that:

1. The Book of Mormon is more accurate than the Bible.

2. Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.

3. Places existed that never existed.

4. We are to baptize dead people.

5. When we die we rule planets and continue to have babies.

Shall I continue ??????

You say a man’s faith is not important??

Maybe not to YOU!!!! But it is to ME and the majority of MAINSTREAM AMERICA!

I am frankly alarmed and disturbed that Christians would actually support a man who goes to a “church” that does not allow black people in for PRESIDENT of THE UNITED STATED!!

52. GOPeach says:

Eburke is a REAL MAN too!!

I can tell by the tone of his posts that he is a man of great resolve. That is very manly. I love real men! Not a bunch of pragmatic wusses.

53. debbie0040 says:

You can stop your bigoted lies Peach. The Mormon Church does allows African Americans.

My Dad is a retired Baptist Minister and he said he would have no problems supporting Romney. He reminded me that that last two Southern Baptists Presidents we had were Clinton and Carter and that was enough for him.

Huckabee is just a more moderate version of Jimmy Carter.

I would say that the way a candidate lives his life is more important than his religion.

Is Romney on this list of Judicial Watches 10 Most Corrupt Politicians? Huckabee is on this list.

A few weeks ago, Judge Robert Bork gave Mitt Romney a huge boost of conservative credibility when he endorsed Mitt Romney for president. Certainly, Bork’s endorsement of Romney in addition to endorsements by National Review and David Keene of the American Conservative Union (Keene endorsed Romney, but the American Conservative Union, the organization, does not endorse candidates) might go some way towards convincing conservative Republicans that Romney is the best choice among the top Republican candidates.

But I was still surprised to read that Judge Robert Bork had decided to cut a radio ad for Mitt Romney. I think that it is an effective ad, especially this part:

The National Review endorsed Governor Romney, calling him a ‘full-spectrum conservative.’ I agree. Mitt Romney is the best person to unite the strong Reagan coalition of social, economic, and foreign policy conservatives.

That’s really the key question, isn’t it? Which candidate can unite the economic conservatives, social conservatives and foreign policy/security conservatives so that we are united in November 2008 against the Democrats. I would like to have seen Fred Thompson do better in his campaign and fill this role. But Romney might be the one to do the job.

54. debbie0040 says:

Peach, you can stop telling your bigoted lies. You know the Morman Church changed their policies years ago and African Americans are welcomed.

The way a man lives his life matters more than religion. My Dad is a retired Baptist preacher and he said he would have no trouble supporting Romney. He reminded me of the last two Southern Baptist Presidents we had-Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

Romney was not the list below but Huckabee is:

Judicial Watch Announces List of Washington’s “Ten Most Wanted Corrupt Politicians” for 2007

But I was still surprised to read that Judge Robert Bork had decided to cut a radio ad for Mitt Romney. You can listen to the ad yourself by clicking here. I think that it is an effective ad, especially this part:

55. GOPeach says:

Note to Sadie and other Christians Leaders:

1 Timothy 6:10
    For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

AND ….

Galatians 1:8 –
    But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

To support a RICH MORMON because he knows how to “make money” over A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN who has been a GOVERNOR 10 Years in a DEMOCRAT STATE…. is shameful.

56. debbie0040 says:

Matthew 7:15

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves

Romney was not the list below but Huckabee is:

57. debbie0040 says:

Romney was not the list below but Huckabee is:

58. debbie0040 says:

Romney was not the list below but Huckabee is:

59. GOPeach says:

jsm –

HUCKABEE IS A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN!!!

I have to go see him now-

He is about to make a SPEECH on the CAPITAL STEP — GA RIGHT TO LIFE RALLY … along with Rev. Dr. ALVEDA KING … MLK Jr.’s neice.

Huckabee has DEMOCRAT support!!!!!

60. Tommy_a2b says:

I hope the Huckleberry freezes on the Capital Steps. This is the first time in 5 yrs I have not attended TFL and the Huckleberry is the reason. I will support who ever comes out of the Republican Primary as long as they have no tie to Tax Hike Mike.

61. GOPeach says:

Tommy-

Are you a wuss?

You are not attending a RIGHT TO LIFE RALLY because of Gov. Huckabee????

You must not be REALLY committed then!

Get over it and get your crack downtown PRONTO! Ya hear????

62. eburke says:

Huckabee may not be a Conservative Republican but he is conservative. I don’t really care if he is a Rupublican as long as he is a federalist and supports limited central government and leaves the States to determine their own level of governance.

63. Jason Pye says:

He isn’t a federalist. He wants a nationwide smoking ban, supports NCLB, wants a federal marriage amendment and abortion amendment.

Those are not the beliefs of a federalist.

64. debbie0040 says:

I did not attend the rally because I was not taking off work to go hear the Huckster. Did not want to ruin my lunch..

The Huckster is a Christian Moderate not a conservative.

Romney was not the list below but Huckabee is:

65. debbie0040 says:

When Judical Watch release their list of the top ten most corrupt politicians in 2007, you did not find Romney on that list but Huckabee was present on that list.

66. debbie0040 says:

67. debbie0040 says:

I did not attend the rally for the same reasons as Tommy. I was not about to get off work to go hear the Huckster.

68. jsm says:

HUCKABEE IS A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN!!!

Huckabee has DEMOCRAT support!!!!!

Peach, do you realize you wrote these two lines within the same comment? Such brilliance is truly rare.

69. Horace says:

I think Romney is a winner as he’s done well at everything he’s tried. Still, I don’t like him.

Huckabee, on the other hand, I really like him but I don’t think he’d be a good president.

When in doubt, vote for the hero. Go McCain!

70. eburke says:

I remember folks complaining that a certain Democrat switched to the Republicans when he ran for Governor. Now he is your hero.

71. GOPeach says:

jms –

I know what the hell I am writing!

Huckabee CAN WIN in the GENERAL!

DEMOCRATS will vote for him —

NO NO NO NO NO NO Democrat will vote for ROMNEY or McCAIN!

We will get CREAMED … again!!!

72. GOPeach says:

Debbie –

The Rally was AWESOME! I am really sorry you missed it.

Gov. HUCKABEE was just wonderful.

He is the next President. I know it.

73. jsm says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO Democrat will vote for ROMNEY or McCAIN!

Experience working with liberal democrats tells me otherwise. Liberals will vote for McCain.

He will most likely win the nomination and win the general in big numbers. I couldn’t have imagined it a couple months ago, but this is what we are about to witness.

74. rugby fan says:

“We will get CREAMED … again!!!”

And it was so messy the first time.

I love how GOPeach is so adamant that Democrats, the left of center party, will vote for, according to her, the most conservative candidate. Interesting logic.

75. Doug Deal says:

rugby,

Strip away the ultra thin anti-abortion and evangelical veneer, and he is nothing more than liberal Democrat. Maybe it is not all that out of the ordinary.

76. GOPeach says:

Bill …. Exactly!

That Republican took on a district with 75% of the precincts in the 13th Congressional District.

I think you should leave THAT alone.

77. debbie0040 says:

The next president of what? He can’t even get enough support to win the GOP nomination much less the general.

Just because Huckabee governs like a Democrat doesn’t mean Democrats will vote for him…

It takes more than being pro life and touting religion to be a conservative…

78. GOPeach says:

How is Romney supposed to win in November?

The Dems will eat him alive as another big-business Republican that cares about nobody…

look at the polling:
    Romney is who the Dems want.
    Rasmussen (January matchup polling)
    Huckabee – 45 vs. Clinton – 42
    Romney – 41 vs. Clinton – 47

79. Bill Simon says:

Oh…boy howdy, them there liberal black folks just vote for ANYONE who shows-up at their church and patronizes them, huh, Peach?

Yo! Where’s Andre? Andre will tell us if he’s ready to climb-on the Huck-Wagon just because Huck showed-up at a black church on the Annual-White-Politician-Patronizing-Day.

80. GOPeach says:

In a district of 75% – THAT REPUBLICAN lost by 180 VOTES!!!!

That is DAMN GOOD…. just think what would had happened IF SHE HAD the support from the Cobb PARTY then….. It was sad that so few saw that it was winable and C-Biscuit should be in the State House today!

Look how many Democrats supported Dr. PAUL BROUN!

THAT REPUBLICAN …. could have won if more people in the party were not so ignorant.
    Well…. HUCKABEE is like PAUL BROUN.
    and C-biscuit will win that seat!!!!!

We will make sure of it next time.

81. GOPeach says:

Come to think of it …… ha ha ha ha ha …..

Paul Broun did not have the support of the Party and did just fine !!!!! 🙂

C-biscuit will not need the Party either…. that candidate is so active in the community… People know who LOVES them!

82. GOPeach says:

Republicans have a lot to learn about building bridges.

My grandkids are black and they are always being mocked for being republican by other black kids…
    and white people assume they are democrats because they are black….

We MUST get past this Peeeee Pul!

HUCKABEE GET IT!!!

Can you see Mormon Bishop ROMONEY at Ebenezer Baptist Church ????

Here is what MORMONS believe about BLACK PEOPLE:

83. GOPeach says:

To celebrate Martin Luther King Junior Day, Mitt Romney asked a bunch of black people in Florida who let them “dogs” out, and how he might put them back in their cages. “Who, who,” or maybe “Woof, woof,” he continues, depending on his Mormon advisers’ current understanding of Ebonics. Always shifting, they are!

84. GOPeach says:

He gained the endorsement of 50 African American leaders while in town for the commemoration of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday. The endorsers cited Huckabee’s record on life, education, minorities, the economy, the prison system, and immigration as Arkansas governor.

85. GOPeach says:

Criticized for failing to develop support beyond the evangelical community, Mike Huckabee has made a concerted effort to reach out to minorities.

86. debbie0040 says:

Huckabee is such a hypocrite and has no shame. The next thing I expect to see from the Huckabee campaign is a photo of David Huckabee hugging a dog and talking about how much dogs mean to him.

Don’t see Huckabee’s name on here:

Mayoral favorites
    By JANET ZINK, Times Staff Writer
    Published January 23, 2008

——————————————————————————–

St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Baker is supporting Republican Mitt Romney.

——————————————————————————–
    “As of now, I am not endorsing anyone,” says Tampa’s Pam Iorio.

——————————————————————————–
    Frank Hibbard, Clearwater’s mayor, is also supporting former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

——————————————————————————–
    U.S. News Video

Florida’s mayors are facing lower property tax revenues even as their cities struggle with the same problems as their residents: rising insurance and gas costs, a housing slump and a credit crunch. With Tuesday’s Florida primary approaching, many mayors have lined up behind a presidential candidate they think can best address those issues. Here’s where they stand.

ST. PETERSBURG

Rick Baker

Who he’s supporting: Mitt Romney. “I want somebody I believe understands the market.”

HIALEAH

Julio Robaina

Who he’s supporting: Rudy Giuliani

PEMBROKE PINES

Frank Ortis

Who he’s supporting: Hillary Clinton

JACKSONVILLE

John Peyton

Who he’s supporting: Mitt Romney

TAMPA

Pam Iorio

Who she’s supporting: “As of now, I am not endorsing anyone.”

PLANT CITY

Rick Lott

Who he’s supporting: John McCain

CLEARWATER

Frank Hibbard

Who he’s supporting: Mitt Romney. “He understands the economic issues, and our economy is the No. 1 concern of all the citizens I talk to.”

MIAMI/DADE

Carlos Alvarez

Who he’s supporting: John McCain

WEST PALM BEACH

Lois Frankel

Who she’s supporting: Hillary Clinton

87. GOPeach says:

HUCKABEE FLORIDA ENDORSEMENTS!

House Speaker Marco Rubio

Senate Majority Leader Daniel Webster

State Senate Majority Whip Mike Haridopolos

State Representative David Rivera

State Senator Alex Diaz de la Portilla

88. GOPeach says:

Speaker Rubio is Florida’s first Cuban-American state House Speaker.

“I’m honored to have the support from Speaker Rubio because we share the same conservative values,” Huckabee said. “Everyone running for president wanted his endorsement. I’m glad he chose to join our efforts to seek the Republican nomination.

Rubio began serving Florida’s 111th House District in 2000 and has served as a City Commissioner from West Miami. He is a conservative Republican who shares Huckabee’s views on pro-life and strong families.

“For those of us who consider ourselves to be Reagan conservatives, Mike Huckabee is our best chance to win the nomination,” Speaker Rubio said. “People are looking for genuineness and sincerity in politics. He has those qualities as well as the positive leadership skills needed to run our country.”

Huckabee also received an endorsement from State Rep. David Rivera who serves Florida’s 112th district, which includes Miami and parts of Naples and Fort Lauderdale. Rivera is chairman of the state House Rules Committee and is former director of the Hispanic Outreach for the Republican Party of Florida.

“Representative Rivera is a great leader and role model for Cuban-American citizens in Florida,” Huckabee said. “I’m proud to have the backing from such a respected member of the Florida House.”

“Governor Huckabee understands the importance of freedom and democracy for all people throughout our hemisphere and our world,” Rivera said. “He is deserving of the support of Cuban- Americans like myself because he has articulated the most pro-active and bold policy geared toward hastening the demise of the Castro regime and promoting the cause of freedom and democracy in Cuba.”

Senator Daniel Webster, a Republican member of the Florida state Senate since 1999 who has served as Majority Leader since 2006, has also endorsed Huckabee. Webster, who previously served as a member of the Florida House of Representatives from 1981 to 1998, officially endorsed Huckabee earlier this year.

“I am honored to serve as co-chair for Governor Huckabee’s Florida Presidential campaign. Governor Huckabee is a principled, conservative leader who has proven he has the leadership qualities to be the next president of the United States. As governor, he demonstrated the ability to tackle tough issues and find solutions. I intend to work diligently in the days and months ahead to ensure Governor Huckabee is elected as our nation’s next President,” said Webster.

89. GOPeach says:

Mike Huckabee’s Speech – WILD PIGS:

There was a chemistry professor in a large college that had some

exchange students in the class. One day while the class was in the lab,

the prof noticed one young man, an exchange student, who kept rubbing

his back and stretching as if his back hurt.

The professor asked the young man what was the matter. The student told

him he had a bullet lodged in his back. He had been shot while fighting

Communists in his native country who were trying to overthrow his

country’s government and install a new communist regime.

In the midst of his story, he looked at the professor and asked a

strange question. He asked: “Do you know how to catch wild pigs?”

The professor thought it was a joke and asked for the punch line.

The young man said that it was no joke.

“You catch wild pigs by finding a suitable place in the woods and

putting corn on the ground. The pigs find it and begin to come everyday

to eat the free corn. When they are used to coming every day, you put a

fence down one side of the place where they are used to coming. When

they get used to the fence, they begin to eat the corn again and you put

up another side of the fence. They get used to that and start to eat

again. You continue until you have all four sides of the fence up with a

gate in the last side. The pigs, which are used to the free corn, start

to come through the gate to eat that free corn again. You then slam the

gate on them and catch the whole herd. Suddenly the wild pigs have lost

their freedom. They run around and around inside the fence, but they are

caught. Soon they go back to eating the free corn. They are so used to

it that they have forgotten how to forage in the woods for themselves, and

so they accept their captivity.”

The young man then told the professor that is exactly what he sees

happening in America. The government keeps pushing us toward

Communism/Socialism and keeps spreading the free corn out in the form of

programs such as supplemental income, tax credit for unearned income,

tax cuts, tax exemptions, tobacco subsidies, dairy subsidies, payments

not to plant crops (CRP), welfare, medicine, drugs, etc., while we

continually lose our freedoms, just a little at a time.

One should always remember two truths: There is no such thing as a free

lunch, and you can never hire someone to provide a service for you

more cheaply than you can do it yourself.

If you see that all of this wonderful government ‘help’ is a problem

confronting the future of liberty in America, you might want to send

this on to your friends. If you think the free ride is essential to

your way of life, then you will probably delete this email.

But God help you when the gate slams shut!

The only thing I can add to this is a question for you: Which

candidates out there are most anxious to spread around the feed corn,

and what might their motives be? Think about it.

SPEECH made by MIKE HUCKABEE

90. rugby fan says:

Look how much heartache she has caused Jace!

Look what she has done to me and Icarus! She was no doubt instrumental in getting Paul Broun elected and he hasn’t been sworn in.

91. GOPeach says:

Breaking News!!!

WASHINGTON (CNN) — California Rep. Duncan Hunter, a former presidential candidate, announced Wednesday he is endorsing Mike Huckabee’s White House bid.

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Huckabee said in a statement. “Of the remaining candidates I feel that he is strongly committed to strengthening national defense, constructing the border fence and meeting the challenge of China’s emergence as a military superpower that is taking large portions of America’s industrial base.

“Along with these issues of national security, border enforcement and protecting the U.S. industrial base, I see another quality of Mike Huckabee’s candidacy that compels my endorsement,” he added. “Mike Huckabee is a man of outstanding character and integrity. I saw that character over the last year of campaigning and was greatly impressed. The other Republican candidates have many strengths and I wish them all well.”

92. IndyInjun says:

Reagan would have nothing but total distain for John Linder, a free spending socialist of the highest order.

93. rugby fan says:

Hey Icarus:

Maybe you can help me with this, but is there any news of who Duncan Hunter has endorsed?

Peach:

Is that your niece?

And I am taking note of how model is now another career you once had.

You’ve claimed:
    Teacher, writer, therapist, model, political adviser, anything else?

94. Icarus says:

Rugby,

Who is Duncan Hunter? I haven’t even heard any news of him, much less who he may have endorsed.

95. GOPeach says:

Debbie – you are walking on thin ice.

But…. that’ okay … your campaign skills cause candidates to drop out…

SO GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!! Keep pumping Bishop Mitt ROMORMON!

96. GOPeach says:

JASON ….

You need a spanking. You behave now – Peach is going to have to get a switch and tan your fanny.

Shut up Rugby or you are next!!!!

97. debbie0040 says:

A Son’s Past Deeds Come Back To Bite Huckabee
    But John Bailey, then the director of Arkansas’s state police, tells NEWSWEEK that Governor Huckabee’s chief of staff and personal lawyer both leaned on him to write a letter officially denying the local prosecutor’s request. Bailey, a career officer who had been appointed chief by Huckabee’s Democratic predecessor, said he viewed the lawyer’s intervention as improper and terminated the conversation. Seven months later, he was called into Huckabee’s office and fired. “I’ve lost confidence in your ability to do your job,” Bailey says Huckabee told him. One reason Huckabee cited was “I couldn’t get you to help me with my son when I had that problem,” according to Bailey. “Without question, [Huckabee] was making a conscious attempt to keep the state police from investigating his son,” says I. C. Smith, the former FBI chief in Little Rock, who worked closely with Bailey and called him a “courageous” and “very solid” professional.

98. John Konop says:

Romney Leads in Ill Will Among G.O.P. Candidates

WHY???

NYT-At the end of the Republican presidential debate in New Hampshire this month, when the Democrats joined the candidates on stage, Mitt Romney found himself momentarily alone as his counterparts mingled, looking around a bit stiffly for a companion.

The moment was emblematic of a broader reality that has helped shape the Republican contest and could take center stage again on Thursday at a debate in Florida. Within the small circle of contenders, Mr. Romney has become the most disliked.

With so much attention recently on the sniping between Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama on the Democratic side, the almost visceral scorn directed at Mr. Romney by his rivals has been overshadowed.

99. debbie0040 says:

debbie0040 // Jan 24, 2008 at 6:58 am

Huckabee alienates GOP in Arkansas
    By Stephen Dinan
    January 24, 2008

BATTLE-READY: As Arkansas governor, Mike Huckabee succeeded at advancing his causes and was willing to fight anyone who didn’t agree, state Republicans said. (Associated Press)

——————————————————————————–
    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Jake Files was a newly elected representative when all two dozen Arkansas House Republicans met for their first caucus in 1999. They had doubled their numbers in elections two months earlier, and were ready to join Republican Gov. Mike Huckabee in pushing for conservative government.

That was when Brenda Turner, the governor’s chief of staff, entered.

“Just walked in, shut the door and said, ‘There’s two kinds of people in the world: those who are for Mike Huckabee and those who are against Mike Huckabee. I’ll do everything I can to help the first group. I’ll do everything I can to hurt the second,’ ” said Mr. Files, who left the legislature after two terms.

And that’s the way it was.

“Not only would he not help you, he would go out of his way to do things in opposition to you,” Mr. Files said.

For the 10 years he was governor of Arkansas, Mr. Huckabee was at war with much of his party.