Are people reading too much into the Mayor’s comment?

Drudge has a link to this article quoting Mayor Franklin at today’s MLK service:

Speaking at the 40th annual MLK commemorative service at Ebenezer Baptist Church, Franklin said the country is on the “cusp of turning the impossible into reality. Yes this is reality, not fantasy or fairy tales.”

The AJC headline is “Atlanta mayor takes political shot at Bill Clinton” while Drudge’s headline is “Atlanta mayor takes political shot at former president… ” Is it really that big a deal?

On a related subject, how deep are the divisions between the Clinton and Obama camps? The race has gotten nasty (nastier that the GOP race IMHO) and probably will get even nastier before it’s over. Can Democrats come back together in the fall?

Powered by ScribeFire.

1. Bill Simon says:

What is the reality? To have the rest of the country run JUST like the City of Atlanta has been run for the past 30 some-odd years with Shirley Franklin somehow involved?

She’s gotta love those “auditors” who keep uncovering waste and fraud in her administration.

2. StevePerkins says:

Can someone explain what the “fairy tale” hoopla was all about in the first place? As I understood it, Bill Clinton said that Obama’s opposition to the war in Iraq was a fairy tale… saying that wasn’t the anti-war leader early on that he claims to have been. It sounds like the remark has been twisted around to imply that a black man running for President is an unrealistic “fairy tale”. Am I missing something here, or was this just the mainstream press quoting something WILDLY out of context to get a controversy stirred up?

3. GodHatesTrash says:

What’s the problem, Buzz? In November, racists and misogynists and chickenhawks will vote GOP, just like they always do.

Those that aren’t, won’t. It’s that effing simple.

4. DoubleDawg3 says:

I am LOVING the Dem debate tonight…Clinton and Obama are RIPPING into one another, left and right (it took me 15 minutes of watching to realize John Edwards was EVEN there).

This is GREAT for the GOP — these two are going to isolate each other so much that it they will run the risk of losing the others supporters (at least a significant percentage).

I really think if Hillary wins, she’s already dug herself a big hole with the African American community – couple that with the fact that every semi-conservative person in America will come out of the woodwork for the first time in 10+ years to vote against her, solely b/c of who she is (Hillary CLinton – Wife of Bill – THe Anti-Christ …all synonymous!).

I’m willing to bet that today, Mike Huckabee might do better with the African American population in Atlanta than Hillary would (given Huckabee’s attendance at the MLK services today – which was a very nice tribute I thought). Okay, maybe not — I probably wouldn’t put money on it.

5. Holly says:

The debate tonight did have some flying feathers, but I think there were two candidates who came away looking good in that debate: Edwards and Obama. Clinton just seemed. . . I don’t know, to come across as disingenuous and nitpicky. Obama did seem as though he had a problem articulating decent soundbites, but at the same time, he still seemed like the “good guy” and Edwards seemed like the well-meaning underdog.

Clinton’s advisors have got to convince her to play victim better or something, because she seemed a downright bully at some points.

6. jm says:

DD3: you assume people are watching these things. There have been so many debates I’ve even given up watching them. We even had debates in the afternoon a few weeks ago, and youtube debates, and roundtable debates, etc. Its the ads that make the difference, and that’s all about the money…Clinton and Obama have money, Edwards will be out very quickly.

7. StevePerkins says:

I agree with JM. I’m about as politically hardcore as they come, and even I don’t watch the debates anymore. Joe Sixpack only hears a few soundbites on the next morning’s news, along with the talking heads’ assessments of who won. At this point, the work of the handlers in the post-debate spin rooms are more important than that of the candidates on the stage.

8. GOPeach says:

MIKE HUCKABEE was at Ebenezer Baptist Church -honoring the life and continued efforts of the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

He was welcomed and received by the ministers who attended as he came not to them but FROM them!

9. Romegaguy says:

“True Christians see no color.”

So I am guessing that when Ralph was making his phone calls about McCain 8 years ago in SC that you are saying that Ralph isnt a true Christian. Of course that is something that I could agree with you on

10. Romegaguy says:

I wonder why the Huckster didnt go into his “We love our rebel flag in Arkansas and if you tell us to change it we will take the flagpole and shove it up their ass” speech at the MLK service…

11. Bill Simon says:

Steve,

By the way, a “Messianic Jew” is not the same as a member of “Jews for Jesus.”

Jews for Jesus were born into Jewish families and decided to become Christians.

Messianic Jews are Christians who decided to become “practicing Jews” via the traditions of the Old Testament, but still accept Christ as their God.