HB 89 clears the Senate

The State Senate has passed the NRA’s “parking lot” bill (HB 89) by a vote of 41 to 15:

The Senate passed a narrow bill Thursday that allows some Georgians to carry their guns to work, but gives property owners the right to ban weapons from parking lots at all times.

The watered down bill applies only to those who carry concealed weapons permits — just a tiny fraction of employees in the state. It effectively ended a public two-year battle between gun lobbyists and business owners, who clashed over the legislation in last year’s session.
[…]
While the amended bill weakened the parking lot issue, it beefed up other portions of gun legislation.

Under the bill approved Thursday, those who carry concealed weapons permits also can bring firearms into state parks and historic sites. Another tacked on amendment makes it illegal to send “straw purchasers” to Georgia to attempt to buy guns in Georgia, a tactic used by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to sue gun dealers in Georgia.

The bill will now move on to the State House for final approval.

1. SouthFultonGuy says:

I wonder if this bill becomes law and a business bans guns from their parking lot at all times, if that means their own security can no longer patrol the parking lots if they are armed.

Making parking lots gun free zones might have unintended consequences.

2. RuralDem says:

I’m sure the business can make an exception to allow security to operate a gun.

Right?

Question1:

Has any other NRA member on here received multiple “robocalls” in the past 24 hours from the NRA regarding this legislation?

Question2:

Is this “watered-down” version supported by the Chamber of Commerce?

We just started our spring semester so I’ve been busy with class and I’m just now getting to play catch up.

3. Jason Pye says:

This is the statement I got from the Chamber:

The Georgia state Senate delivered a rare rebuke of the NRA today when it passed a severely watered-down version of the NRA’s “bring your guns to work” legislation. As passed in the Senate, the bill clearly reaffirms the rights of private property owners to determine whether or not to permit the introduction of firearms on their premises and provides a lengthy, near comprehensive list of exemptions for employers. The Senate addressed virtually every concern the Georgia Chamber of Commerce had with the legislation. We appreciate the support of Senators in recognizing the rights of property owners to set workplace policies they believe are in the best interest of their business. And thank you to Georgia Chamber members and local chambers of commerce who let their opinions be known with their Senators.

Other gun rights language was added to the bill, unrelated to the issue of the parking lots of businesses, offered by the Georgia-based gun rights group GeorgiaCarry.org and state Rep. Tim Bearden.

4. “Another tacked on amendment makes it illegal to send “straw purchasers” to Georgia to attempt to buy guns in Georgia, a tactic used by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to sue gun dealers in Georgia.”

I think Mayor Bloomberg has a suit under the Uniform Commercial Code regarding impeding commerce.

Geeze Mayor Bloomberg has more money than all the Presidential Candidates combined and if he wants to buy pine straw from Georgia, it’s lunacy to impede him.

5. Carpe Forem says:

Another problem I have with a ban is how will it be enforced. (let’s hope it is not unwarranted searches, like TSA)

I do think the compromise was a pretty good attempt to honor both property rights and the right to bare arms. All I ask is that the property owner puts up a big sign that says “No Guns Allowed.” Then I can take my bussiness eslewhere and the criminals will know where the easy prey is… a win win?

6. Painterman says:

Business will need to consider the added liability that they will now have, if they ban guns in their parking lots. It will put the liability for employee safety solely on them as they will have taken away the ability of employees to defend themselves, not only at the parking deck, but also to and from the work place. That’s a lot of additional liability and I can see the trial lawyers just rubbing their hands in anticipation.

7. Doug Deal says:

Painterman,

That is a silly argument. If a gun toting employee got fired and came back in with the weapon spraying bullets, they could be sued for allowing guns in their lot.

8. Doug Deal says:

Bill,

I don’t think any business should be sued for doing what is reasonable to protect their place of business, I was just pointing out that using the law suit angle was a poor way to argue against the bill.

Overall, I think this is a good bill and protects two fundamental rights in an equitable fashion.

9. shep1975 says:

1: You (generally) have no automatic right to privacy on another’s private property.

2: police cannot (generally) without a warrant search your car when it is on private property, even if that property is not yours.

3. the US Constitution limits the power of governement, not private citizens. The 2nd was to prohibit government from prohibiting guns, not private individuals on private property.

I say “generally” above because there are exceptions and I didn’t want a bunch of “what-ifs” for responses.

10. Painterman says:

Doug,

There are already laws that cover an psyco employee going “postal”. What we have now is an additional area where a citizen is restricted in his or her right to defend them selves from such nuts. The laws only keep honest people from doing these things.

11. Bull Moose says:

What I am hearing from most on this issue is this, “This was a sham issue and should have never seen the light of day. There was no threat of encroachment of gun rights to begin with. This was an issue cooked up by special interests to justify their existence. “

12. bowersville says:

Oh Bill Simon, this was an issue cooked up by special interests, either you are a special interest paid henchman, drunk or just plain stoopid. How much were you paid for special interest lobbying? Or are you just a child molester looking to protect yourself by carrying a gun onto someone else’s private property?

13. jm says:

Carpe Forem: you live in fear. You need to get over that. While I keep aware of my surroundings, I don’t fear them.