The Senate Overrides

Jason and I had a discussion in IM about the overrides.  I think the Senate proceeded correctly under the constitution.

The constitution requires that the second body in the General Assembly “immediately consider” the vetoes.  A variety of case decisions and common practice throughout the fifty states is pretty consistent in relying on Mason’s Manual of Legislative Procedure in the absence of a particular rule of procedure for a legislative body.

Now, keep in mind that “immediately consider” does not equal “immediately vote.”  It actually means “consider.”

consider |kənˈsidər|
verb [ trans. ] (often be considered)
think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision

1. Icarus says:

One more piece of evidence that the Speaker doesn’t understand the meaning of the word “consider”, nor the implications of continuing to fail to do so.

2. Painterman says:

What the Hell is there to consider other than a vote???? They have already voted on the bills before and passed them. Either they want the bills to be law or they don’t. Which is it? This is a buch of Cagle and Senate Wimp BS!

3. Bill Simon says:

Painterman has the logic correct. The Senate ALREADY voted to pass these bills; that’s why they went to the Governor.

Morons. The State Senate is run by complete morons.

4. Bill Simon says:

So, Jason, why should the Senate be concerned about voting with the overrides now?

I’ll tell you why: Because Don Balfour, Casey Cagle, and the biggest loudmouth in there, Eric Johnson, are all three morons when it comes to deliberating anything beyond their own navel lint dustbowl.

5. eehrhart says:

I would suggest similar to the definition of “IS”

And parsed for the same reason.

A very simple process and now we can move on with this years business.

It is unfortunate that some in the Senate and the Governors office would rather make snide comments about House members of both parties almost unanimously making the same vote on issues from the previous year. It would seem to me, and you heard no gloating and no press conference from the House, that the responsible and statesman like actions were on our side.

The others merely continue the divisiveness.

6. dorian says:

I find myself agreeing with Rep. Ehrhart. In fact, yes, in fact, I daresay he is right. What is that strange sensation? Why do I feel suddenly woozy?

7. SouthFultonGuy says:

Just think about how a 10-year old acts when they don’t get their way – interesting parallel eh?

Glenn’s likely manifesting his childhood ways in a number of means. He was probably a bully as a child too.

Now he just needs what any bully does, someone to get sick of his abuse and punch his lights out.

8. Jace Walden says:

Honestly, if you’re having to overcomplicate something so much that you have to bring out the damn dictionary to clarify the meaning of a word (as the Senate had to do), you’re probably missing the intent of the original wording.

9. Icarus says:

I could buy into the position of Rep Ehrhart, Bill, and Jace if these votes had occurred in a vacuum. Unfortunately, in the real world, that’s not possible.

This is little more than a continued power struggle between the House and the Governor. Each side appears hell bent on making the Senate their/his lapdog to solidify their own power base.

I for one am glad to see the Senate play somewhat coy with this game. Ultimately, they need to vote on these overrides. But I see nothing wrong with them holding out for a while in “consideration” in the hopes that the games will subside and our leadership will start governing like adults. If nothing else, it should serve to remind all parties involved that the Senate is an equal partner in our governing process.

If the big boys can’t figure out how to avoid this crap in the future, I guess it was fun being a majority party while it lasted.

10. Bill Simon says:

Icarus,

The “vacuum” statement is a non sequiter (though, you are not the first one to use it).

The fact is, these dozen bills were debated already in the vacuum of the omniscient senate last year. and, all of them were passed.

Are you telling me that neither the senate nor the house considers the financial implications of new laws, and they rely on Daddy Governor to find their mistakes? Is that the anti-vaccum you are trying to describe to me?

11. Icarus says:

No Bill, I am not.

I am stating that a veto is a game changer. The fight between the Speaker and the Governor is a game changer. The Senate doesn’t need to either quickly vote to override, gutting the Governor, nor ignoring the issue completely as the Governor’s lap dog.

A time of “consideration” to defuse the overall situation seems fairly levelheaded to me.

12. Bill Simon says:

Icarus,

“Level-headedness”…good word. Too bad none of the leadership of the Senate actually possesses that. Right now, the leadership is operating on the plane of screwing Richardson…and when this time passes, they will go right back to operating in HUA mode.