Let me ask a policy question

A friend of mine let me know that Macon still uses gassing to kill animals at the shelter. Though the state prohibited it, the city received a waiver that allows them to keep on keeping on.

The alternative is sodium pentobarbital injections. I’m wondering about costs, necessity, etc.

I’d appreciate any thoughts you guys have. This isn’t a big deal to me. But it is to a number of friends and I’m happy to draft legislation to get the gassing, but I’m worried about how it might affect taxpayers if it significantly increases costs, etc.

1. debbie0040 says:

Gassing animals in inhumane. Go to the shelter and watch while they are gassing animals…Sometimes it is not always about costs. It is about doing the right thing..

2. StevePerkins says:

I’m not exactly a PETA-type myself, but I agree with Debbie 100% on this issue. We kill the cows and chickens that we eat with more humane methods than this. Suffocation is a pretty brutal way to go.

I don’t have any solid information about costs, but I can’t imagine that sodium pentobarbital is any more expensive than chemical gas (it seems like it ought to be CHEAPER, since you need a small amount and wouldn’t have to maintain an enclosed gas chamber). Why not just make a quick phone call to your local humane society or a local vet? I’m sure they could give you the inside scoop on how much these materials cost, and would be happy to talk about the difference. Either option would certainly be more knowledgeable than asking random folks on Peach Pundit.

3. debbie0040 says:

Southern Hope Humane runs the Atlanta Shelter. If you call the Atlanta Shelter they could give your more details or tell you where to look.

Gassing is cruel. Sometimes the larger animals have to be gassed twice. They put small and large dogs in at the same time to gas them. They die at different rates.

4. Tea Party says:

I cannot believe any right-minded constituent is concerned about the seemingly negligible cost differential between an inhumane animal gassing as opposed to a lethal injection.

Is this a parody on the death penalty?

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Debbie, I’m curious. Not related to the gassing, but have you been to Atlanta’s (actually Fulton County’s) shelter? It’s really depressing and sad for the animals. Then go over to Cobb County’s and it’s like night and day.

The best facilities however are the No-Kill shelters like FurKids. Gotta love privatization and no-profit organizations. Erick, maybe you guys can privatize your shelter.

6. Ms_midtown says:

If it costs more the county can charge more for animal tag registration. Animal owners will be glad to pay a dollar more for the difference.

Erick, good for you for taking up the issue.

7. debbie0040 says:

I used to be involved with animal rescue. I was a foster home for different groups a few years back and kept animals until they could be adopted.

8. GAWire says:

Ok, I’m gonna pipe in here, because Erick, the good concerned Statesman that he is, has asked for input from people on a policy. I know it’s a crazy thought, since most legislators think they’re experts on everything, but since Erick has humbled himself and not let his office currupt him, I think we should participate in this process. After all, we (not me) did elect him to do our bidding.

It really is about costs, and that’s why he brought it up. I think it’s good an elected official is actually considering how seemingly insufficient price changes can affect every citizen’s pocketbook significantly.

my advice would be to look at the data. This obviously isn’t something where you want to commission a study and cost more dollars, but it’s probably simple enough to analyze some sample data yourself. Call up one of your Mercer boys and have the economics dep’t do a study for you. You can’t answer the question without data. Perhaps that’s overcomplicating this specific simple issue, but that is what you would do for a larger issue as a legislator or Senator, i.e. call in experts to collect and present data so you can make a decision based on facts. According to Rogue, it sounds like someone with too much funding and time has already done some limited analysis, but I would look deeper into that to put it into context.

And Ms Midtown, no one really cares whether or not animal owners would be happy to pay more for how dogs are put down or not. We’re not talking about dog owners, we’re talking about citizens and what they pay in taxes.

I wonder if we shipped the animals to the border, would Mexico get pissed at us? That would be kind of ironic if they did.

9. Ms_midtown says:

GAWire – Unless you own a dog or cat ( God help that poor creature if you do), you do not pay a licensing fee, which is what I suggested could be a revenue source for additional costs of humane animal treatment..