Georgia remembers Speaker Murphy

Elected officials from Georgia’s past and present gathered under the Gold Dome today to pay tribute to the man who led the Georgia House of Representatives for twenty-eight years; longer than any other speaker in American history.

Flanked by an honor guard of Georgia State Patrol troopers, Speaker Murphy’s flag-draped casket was brought into the chamber that he presided over for so many years and received by two of his successors, Glenn Richardson and Terry Coleman.

“He was a giant of Georgia; a giant of Georgia politcs,” current House Speaker Glenn Richardson said. “He cannot be classified as anything but a giant of Georgia.”

“Tom Murphy loved this House,” said former House Speaker Terry Coleman. “He led this House with the humility and wisdom of Harry Truman.”

Former Gov. Zell Miller who, as Lt. Governor, had many struggles with Speaker Murphy, described the ceremony as “beautiful.”

“It captured the powerful personality [of Speaker Murphy] very well,” Miller said.

1. jenny says:

Tom Murphy adamantly opposed any restrictions or regulations of abortionists. During his 28 year reign over 1 million Georgia children were slaughtered by abortionists, the majority of whom were black.

2. yellowhammer says:

Jenny-

Regardless of what you feel on the subject, that was an extremely inappropriate comment to make on this day. Your comments give a bad name to all people who share your ideals and you should be ashamed.

3. jenny says:

Actually, I just offered the information. If you are a racist, white supremacists, pro-abortion, or pro-population control, you would be pleased with Mr. Murphy’s record, and happy for the information.
    We need to be careful who we celebrate as heros. So now is a good time to examine Mr. Murphy’s life. Was he truly a great man? Did he use his power to preserve and protect innocent life?

4. jenny says:

Thomas Jefferson “The care of human life and not its destruction is the first and only legitimate object of good government.”

Did Mr. Murphy promote good government? That is the only legitimate question at his death.

5. yellowhammer says:

No, I believe right now is not the time to reflect on what you believe to be the Speaker’s shortcomings. There will be ample time for that later. Whether or not he fought against abortion may the single issue you use to decide whether or not a person is decent, but I promise you that most of us take alot more into consideration when relflecting on a person’s life. This majority also understands something you do not, which is that the power to judge is left to a much higher power.

6. jenny says:

Maybe you guys will like a Ron Paul quote better- “The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideals of liberty.” I’m not a single issue person; I believe in the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If you’re dead, what good are the latter two? Over 1 million babies died on Murphy’s watch, and you claim it is unimportant and really a non-issue. I find that interesting.

7. Romegaguy says:

Cant believe you only think racists and white supremacists were Murphy’s only supporters.

I am not surprised to see you quoting the wackjob that is Ron Paul.

8. yellowhammer says:

Yes, I consider the comments you made vindictive, especially considering the timing in which you made them. Call me old fashioned, but I believe in respect for the dead and this is no time to be making the comments you did. While I may seem like a liberal from way out in extremistville where you live, I promise you that characterization could not be further from the truth.

9. jenny says:

Yeah, liberal was not the right term. I’m not being vindictive. No, I don’t believe that white supremacists and racists were Tom’s only supporters. My point was they would be happy to have the information. Anyway, I’m glad you guys argued with me. Hopefully it will alert more people to the abortion holocaust in Georgia. We abort over 600 babies every week in Atlanta, and over 60% are black babies. We also have the oldest gestational age in the country for on demand abortion: 26 weeks, 6 days. People come here from all over for late term abortions. And most abortion mills operate without ambulatory surgical licenses. No government oversight. Now you know.

10. jenny says:

The commanding power of your intellect is overwhelming. Number of abortionists shot in U.S.= mmm. Maybe 5. Number of children murdered by abortionist in U.S.= 50 million. Number of children murdered in Georgia as a result of the deliberate policies concerning abortion by Tom Murphy= over 1 million. Yeah. I’m definitely focused on the wrong thing.

11. jenny says:

“Give me liberty, or give me death”?? I’m missing your point. Are you saying that life just isn’t worth living if you can’t kill your unborn child who is inconvenient to your life? I’m going to pretend you didn’t type that, and you aren’t really that incredibly shallow.

12. Jace Walden says:

jenny,

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I wasn’t even commenting on abortion really…just the overall attitude of some people that life itself is the most important thing, when really life is nothing without freedom. How that relates back to your issue, I don’t know…I was merely making an observation.