Going after Huckabee.

It’s no secret the Club for Growth is critical of Mike Huckabee. Last night I saw this ad on my TV screen:

I also received two emails from people pointing me to articles critical of the former Arkansas Governor. Clearly the Huckaboom has gotten people’s attention and thus the examination of his record.

Meanwhile, the Political Insider reports Huckabee’s campaign is bringing the Religious Right together here in Georgia. They make mention of PP regular Maurice Atkinson who sent an email earlier in the week that said this:

I was talking with some friends in North Georgia today about the Huckabee campaign. After keeping an open mind and watching the progression of these campaigns only one is gaining measurable momentum and energizing the base. That is Mike Huckabee.

Six months ago I would have never thought the man would be where he is. I felt his exposure was too limited and his fundraising capability would be limited as well.

I was obviously wrong. He has a strong populace audience and a powerful message. I’m thrilled that a man with such character and vision is seeking the presidency. America needs a Mike Huckabee.

1. debbie0040 says:

Friends of ALIPAC:

The vast majority of responses we received to our release…

Mike Huckabee’s Shamnesty for Illegal Aliens!

…were positive, however some of our ALIPAC supporters who favor Huckabee were disappointed, as well as, having more questions about the ‘touchback’ plan Huckabee advocates.

According to our recent survey, only about 5.54% of ALIPAC’s supporters were starting to favor Huckabee before this scandal broke. We respect everyone’s opinion, but it is ALIPAC’s job to warn people about immigration records and stances that are against our platform and against the wishes of the majority of Americans.

We are gathering more information for you ,however, this should make it clear. The following is a transcript from Fox News, please read it and then vote in our new survey about this issue.

PROOF OF WHAT HUCKABEE WANTS

Q: You (Mike Huckabee) put out a new immigration plan calling for building a border fence, cracking down on employers, & telling illegals to go home. But last year, you said “the rational approach is to find a way to give people a pathway to citizenship.” In your new plan, the only path is to go home & to get on the back of the line. Why the change?

Quote:
    Answer from Huckabee: “I don’t think there’s an inconsistency. When I said a pathway, I didn’t say what the pathway was. I now believe that the only thing the American people are going to accept–and, frankly, the only thing that really makes sense–is a pathway that sends people back to the starting point.”

Q: That would take years.

Quote:
    A: “No, I don’t agree. Look, if we can get a credit card application done within hours, it shouldn’t take years to get a work permit to come here and pick lettuce. So part of my plan is that we seal the borders. You don’t have amnesty and sanctuary cities. You do have a pathway to get back here legally that would take days, maybe weeks, not years.”

Source: Fox News Sunday: 2007 “Choosing the President” interviews Dec 9, 2007

2. Jace Walden says:

I must admit, I am somewhat confused by Rich Lowry’s latest op-ed on Mike Huckabee (Huckacide). After having his head completely up the poop-chute of the Bush administration for the better part of seven years, one would figure that nominating another “compassionate conservative” would be number one on Lowry’s “to-do” list…

3. Ms_midtown says:

Lowry, like Hugh Hewitt has already sold out to Romney at any cost.

This is the best Huckabee video, he talks to the NRA and describes angels guiding a bullet to kill an antelope.

4. GOPeach says:

I can not help but seeing these “facts” as spin jobs folks.

I have completely contrary facts. I think we are going to have to dig a little deeper and get THE TRUTH!

In the mean time… it seems the base is locking down with Gov. Huckabee.

Right or wrong ….

5. Bull Moose says:

I think this will backfire… I don’t know what to make of it, but it feels misleading and likely is…

John McCain – tested and true conservative ready to lead from day one

6. IndyInjun says:

Jace,

Best post of the day! Totally on point.

As little as I think of Lowry, he doesn’t like to lose and sees a loss as a certainty with Taxabee.

Huckabee is the one GOPer who might cause me to vote for Hillary.

7. debbie0040 says:

The base? The base of illegal immigrants that want amnesty and to become U.S. citizens? The base of Democrats that sense an easy victory in November against Clusterhuck? The base of big government and high taxes?

Perhaps the base of those that donated gifts to Gov. Huckabee and received State Posts in return?

Huck’s gift-givers ended up in state posts

Excerpts:
    Huckabee

8. IndyInjun says:

By Golly, Debbie,

I am beginning to like you.

Peach is wonderful, too.

She just needs to back Ron Paul and forget POTUSwannabee.

9. Icarus says:

Indy,

Any and every GOP frontrunner thus far has been the only GOPer who might cause you to vote for Hillary.

Just go ahead and admit that you are openly pulling for a GOP defeat next November. It’s O.K. I’m not saying the GOP doesn’t deserve it. But quit trying to pretend you’re part of the solution.

10. rugby_fan says:

Huckabee has opposed every inquiry, fact finding mission, and investigation looking to find out why Paul Broun was not sworn in.

Any attacks against him are fully warranted if you were to ask me.

11. IndyInjun says:

Icarus,

I am pulling for the GOP to save itself by returning to small government and the Constitution with Ron Paul.

Beyond that, the GOP as presently constituted is the enemy of America, an even greater one than the Dems whom I never supported.

The GOP must die and be reborn as the party of Reagan, not that of the neocons.

If it takes voting for the first Dem POTUS in my life to bring this about, so be it.

I am INDY. meaning INDEPENDENT

12. Rick Day says:

rugby, do you honestly think all good ideas are the exclusive property of the GOP?

I can sound perfectly “republican” if the argument warrants it. That is the beauty of being an Indie!

We embrace the best and reject the rest.

Hint to “the base”: Christians political biddys care nothing for conservative values such as tax cuts. They only want to stop the ‘murder of innocent babies’.

You all better pray you never overturn Roe v Wade or you will lose the church-folk en mass.

13. IndyInjun says:

Rugby,

REAL Republicans no longer have a home in the Republican Party. As the ancient Goldwaterite and Reaganite Vic Gold says, “the neocons and holy rollers have destroyed the GOP” and “the GOP must die and be born again.”

I no longer allow the descriptor “Republican” to be associated with my name.

I have taken to actively supporting the Blue-Dog Democrats. It gave me GREAT PLEASURE to help John Barrow defeat the neocon Max Burns in 2006.

Really, it did.

14. SFrazier says:

The honorable Erick, do you think it is appropriate for an elected leader to call a taxpaying citizen of your community a profane word

15. SFrazier says:

You are worse than Mayor Monsour, at least we knew what to expect from him. You are an embrassment to the GOP. You need to apologize…

16. IndyInjun says:

Taxabee’s pitching of the Fair???tax con job will finally expose this fraud on the national stage and destroy he and the lamentable GOP in the process.

Bank on that one.

17. SFrazier says:

He will be our best President ever. I knocked on 30 doors tonight and spoke to at least 12 people that had switched from Fred to the ” Huck”. Keep attacking, the more you attack, the better he does. All Catholics are for him.. We even have a special rosary for him.

18. I stand by my statement. Huckabee out gunned, out spent 50 to 1 has charged to be a major contender in this race. It defies all rationale, but he is doing it and its impressive.

As manipulation of his record continues he continues to surge forward. http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/12/14/in_sc_romneys_campaign_slows_huckabee_surging/

My question to those who have attacked him as a tax and spend liberal, who paves your roads? Who provides for your police protection? Who maintains the infrastructure of the state? Its your government. It doesn’t run by itself. Yes government should be limited and efficient.

From what I’ve read, he did a decent job of upgrading his infrastructure.

Several weeks ago I spoke with an individual from Bentonville who talked about the growth in the past 10 years. She indicated that the roads were in disarray. In fact the roadway to the Wal-Mart headquarters was congested. In this time period they have been brought up to decent standards. I realize this is anecdotal, however, much of these posts are reports from critics or mere unsubstantiated smear from other blogs.

What I certainly appreciate about Gov. Huckabee is the fact that he addressed legitimate problems not with sound bytes, but with substance. We can

19. IndyInjun says:

Maurice,

Hucksterbee appeals to the brain dead socialist wing of the GOP which is a 38% subset of a party that is now 30% of the voters. While the ‘religious right’ or social ‘conservatives’ are the biggest block in the GOP, they send the rest of us fleeing in horror from the disastrous financial irresponsibility, even corruption that they tolerate or even encourage.

This block gravitated to Hucksterbee. If they abandon their moral code and stick with this liar, crook, and charlatan all the way to the nomination, they/you are doomed to defeat, for the rest of us want no part of him.

I figured 2008 was the year I finally went over to the Democrat side, but Ron Paul – the only REAL CONSERVATIVE in this race – jumped in, giving some of us a little hope.

Pick Huckabee and we will kill off the GOP – perhaps for good.

20. Jason Pye says:

What turns me off is people who demagogue their viewpoint and attempt to stigmatize individuals by regurgitating rhetoric, smear and innuendo.

You know, if it weren’t true you may have a point. But the fact is that Huckabee is not a fiscal conservative and he released a rapist from prison who wound up killing someone.

Huckabee can’t defend his record so he blames everyone else.

That is not a smear, it is the damn truth.

I don

21. debbie0040 says:

Maurice, Pointing out someone’s record is not smear. What innuendo has been posted here? For the most part, FACTS have been disputed here. If you have a problem with that, then you need to take it up with Huckabee.

Huckabee supporters don’t like the facts or Huckabee’s recrod coming out now. They are upset because of all the negativity.

This is just a preview of coming attractions. What in the hell do you think the Democrats are going to do to him if he is the nominee?

22. debbie0040 says:

Facts have been posted here and you Huckabee supporters have disputed FACTS but yet you offer no proof that the facts are not true.

I can say all day that today is not Saturday but that does not make it true.

Clinton created a “Truth Squad” when he decided to run for President. Huckabee did the same thing. Yet Huckabee makes Clinton look like a poster child for being tough on crime, small government, taxes, having ethics, etc..

They both hail from Hope, Arkansas and they also both had Dick Morris as an advisor…

23. debbie0040 says:

I agree. Huckabee is the GOP’s Dukakis , Howard Dean and McGovern all rolled into one.

He would be a disaster on the ticket….

Polls show that only 1 in 7 non evangelicals support Huckabee. He will get humilated by the Democrats in November…

24. debbie0040 says:

Man, Huckster reminds me more and more of Bill Clinton everyday. They both have problems with over stating the facts:

Huckabee’s Theology Answer to CBN Causing Stir
    December 14, 2007

The bright lights just keep getting brighter for Mike Huckabee. Now he’s being asked about something he told us here at CBN last month. Political producer Robin Mazyck asked him a question about fighting the war on terror and here was his answer:

“I’m as strong on terror as anybody. In fact I think I’m stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamofascism. These are people that want to kill us. It’s a theocratic war. And I don’t know if anybody fully understands that. I’m the only guy on that stage with a theology degree. I think I understand it really well.”

Well, it turns out that technically, Mike Huckabee doesn’t have a theology degree. He was asked about that at a news conference in New Hampshire today.

Read his response below. Watch it by clicking here.

“I have a bachelor of arts in religion and a minor in communications in my undergraduate work. And then I have 46 hours on a master’s degree at Southwestern Theology Seminary. So, my degree as a theological degree is at the college level and then 46 hours toward a masters — three years of study of New Testament Greek, and then the rest of it, all in Seminary was theological studies, but my degree was actually in religion.”

More on all of this here.

I think it’s a hard sell to say Mike Huckabee PURPOSELY lied. He clearly overstated it but it’s not like his education credentials aren’t public knowledge so it would be simply stupid to lie when the record is out there. Huckabee seems smarter than that. Having said that, Huckabee’s pull is the fact that people see him as genuine.

Stories like this hurt that image.

The point here is that Huckabee is learning a hard lesson. When you run for President, everything, and I mean everything is scrutinized. Every word is dissected. Is it fair? Probably not but it comes with the territory. It’s not like he or any of these candidates are running for City Council.

I can tell you this. All these stories attacking Huckabee may hurt him in New Hampshire and in other states across the country. But in Iowa, among evangelicals, it’s a different mind set. These stories can actually have the reverse effect with Evangelicals saying ,”stay strong Mike. Everybody is coming against you because you wear your faith on your sleeve.”

This is usually the mentality when “one of their own” is attacked. Unless he’s done something so reprehensible it’s going to take something pretty big to stop Huckabee’s momentum in Iowa with Evangelical Christians.

25. GodHatesTrash says:

The Huckleberry will be our next President.

He combines the smily-face homespun drawlin’ drivel of Jimmy Carter – our most ineffective Democratic President ever – with the philosophies of George Dumbya Bush – our most superstitious moronic President ever.

I think he will be more effective than Dumbya, but less effective than Carter.

God help us all.

26. Jace Walden says:

Huckabee is a stupid, mouth-breathing hick.

If Ron Paul doesn’t win the nomination, I hope Huckabee does. That way the Republican party will be assured of fading off into obscurity for the next 4 years.

27. Nate says:

Huck supporters talk about how they like Huck because he is doing good in the polls, or that he talks about his faith, or how nice he is and well spoken. THOSE ARE NOT REASONS TO VOTE FOR A PRESIDENT!!!!! Look at his policy, he either has nothing or it is flat out not conservative. He is a compassionate conservative who will sell us out. You never hear him talk about entitlement reform because that is not compassionate. He wants in-state tuition for illegals and driver licenses because that is compassionate. His solution for problems in most every circumstance is MORE government because that is compassionate. He has NO foreign policy experience. If you guys think Huck is the best candidate, then start talking policy. Give some substance instead of this fluffy nonsense. I believe Huck is worst thing that could happen to the conservative movement because of his POLICIES!

28. TrueConservative says:

From yesterday’s Macon telegraph:

America needs Huckabee

I’m tired of hearing both the Republican and Democratic presidential candidates using each other as scapegoats for everything that is wrong. Scapegoating is the last thing this nation needs. It polarizes a society, preventing those involved in wrongdoing from realizing and admitting their wrongs. It does nothing to solve the problems at hand, but only leaves them to worsen.

Republican Mike Huckabee is the only presidential candidate who is seeking solutions to problems, not scapegoats on which to place the blame. He is the only candidate with a proven track record in working with both parties to get things done without compromising his core values. Now more than ever, America needs a leader like Mike Huckabee, with proven leadership skills and commonsense vision to move our great country forward again.

Phill Dacosta

Ball Ground

29. SFrazier says:

Looks like fuzzy math to me. Don’t worry TC, I am staying on coarse. Hey, what is your take on Erick using foul language all the time?

30. Bill Simon says:

Hey, Frazier, PeachPundit is Erick’s baby. He could use whatever language he wants.

If you don’t like it, I’m certain Erick can block your IP address so you don’t have to be subjected to it anymore. πŸ™‚

31. SFrazier says:

An elected official calling one of bibb counties biggest tax payers and contributors a “dick” is horrific. He is a private citizen covicted of no crime.Dispicable……….

32. TrueConservative says:

There house is built on sand Sean. Ours is built on a rock. Gods truth will prevail. We have been praying for another Reagan for 20 years. God has sent us better in Huckabee

33. Jason Pye says:

By the way, my principles are furthering the cause of individual and economic liberty (free trade and free markets). Which Huckabee is very hostile to.

34. TrueConservative says:

Huckabee supports building a fence & deporting illegals who commit serious crimes. He understands the unconventional nature of the War on Terror & the Islamo-fascist threat we’re facing around the world. He has a solid conservative record of lowering taxes & favors eliminating income tax & adopting the FAIR TAX instead. He’s also a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, & he’s never wavered on his pro-life and traditional family values. Mike also has great ideas about energy independence, improving education & health & fitness
    Mike Huckabee is the strongest all around conservative candidate. Romney is not, Giuliani is not, McCain is not & Thompson is not.
    Huckabee is an experienced leader; as governor of the mostly democratic Arkansas for 10 years, he was named one of the top five governors in the country. He knows the Clinton’s well enough to beat them. He’s the best communicator/debator of the group. He is not soft on immigration, he opposed Bush’s amnesty plan, & supports building a fence & deporting illegals who commit serious crimes. He understands the unconventional nature of the War on Terror & the Islamo-fascist threat we’re facing around the world. He has a solid conservative record of lowering taxes & favors eliminating income tax & adopting the FAIR TAX instead. He’s also a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, & he’s never wavered on his pro-life and traditional family values. Mike also has great ideas about energy independence, improving education & health & fitness.
    On the issues Huckabee has the most consistent conservative record, combined with proven leadership skills & abilities, as well as strength of character & integrity. He’s a skilled communicator & he relates very well to everyday normal Americans. He’s a fiscal conservative & despite relatively modest campaign funds so far, he’s the only candidate who’s continuing to climb in the polls and gain more support.
    It’s no secret that the conservative base of the Republican party is still not 100% sold on any one candidate, but Huckabee more than any of the others has the right combination of attributes to bring the party together rather than divide it. Likewise he’ll have the widest appeal in the general election to defeat Hillary (or anyone else the Dems might decide on).

35. SFrazier says:

If you read the letter Jayson, you would see all the harsh restrictions that the Huck recommended as well that were not followed. Like TC said, your punnishment for trying to mislead the flock will be great. I pray and hope that you will attend confession and turn from your wicked ways.

36. TrueConservative says:

Mike Huckabee is the dream candidate for social conservatives, as well as people who know what it is like to run out of money before the month is over. He is for a strong defense. He is for a sane tax policy. He is a man of strong principle. And he can communicate his ideas simply, with charm and with humor. He is bright. He has more executive experience than all the others combined. He also believes in God–really.

37. GOPeach says:

Wheeeeeew

I mean… this has gotten nasty folks.

I think this negative blogging is going to back fire.
    The BASE is not budging and the more you bash their man… the more they lock in…..

Oh- and that “Fred Apologizes to Gov. Huckabee” ….

38. Nate says:

I am not sure what is worse, the fact that he lied about having a theology degree, or the fact that he said he was the most qualified on foreign policy because he was the only candidate with a theology degree.

39. TrueConservative says:

”Isn’t Thompson the candidate who is opposed to a Constitutional amendment to protect marriage, believes there should be 50 different definitions of marriage in the U.S., favors McCain-Feingold, won’t talk at all about what he believes, and can’t speak his way out of a paper bag on the campaign trail?” Dobson wrote.
    ”He has no passion, no zeal, and no apparent ‘want to.’ And yet he is apparently the Great Hope that burns in the breasts of many conservative Christians? Well, not for me, my brothers. Not for me!”

40. Bill Simon says:

TC’s quoting Dobson now? Ooh, yeah. There’s a reliable source for objectivity. (NOT!)

I wonder how much Dobson and Gilchrist are getting paid by the Huckabee campaign to be his mouthpieces?

41. GodHatesTrash says:

Any of you morons want a theology degree?

Send me $99.95. It’ll be just as good as one from Liberty, Regent, or Bob Jones U.

42. TrueConservative says:

Huckabee has an important message, because it is in tune with fiscal conservatives (fair tax) and social conservatives (marriage and pro-life issues).
    Couple that with an unsurpassed ability to stand out rhetorically with each passing debate, and you have a winning candidate, not a counterpoint to Hillary.

43. Bill Simon says:

First, Huckabee lies about his college degree: “I’m the only guy on that stage with a theology degree. I think I understand it really well.”

Then, straight from Nate’s link to the CBN Website, here is Huckabee’s explanation:

Wow! So, we have a guy who has a bachelor’s of art in religion, coupled with “3 years of studying New Testament Greek” ready to take-on the “IslamicFascism” war?

Well, IF this world gets into a world war of words using New Testament Greek, then maybe Huckabee will be the best candidate for fighting the Islamic religous fascists.

But, as demonstrated by some of Huckabee’s followers in Georgia (e.g., Frazier, GOPeach, TrueConservative), Huckabee’s only set of values appears to be set on waging war against anyone not of his Baptist faith (e.g., Romney, and anyone who doesn’t fall in line with supporting Huckabee right now).

Nice little image you folks have projected on the rest of us about the qualifications of your candidate.

44. GOPeach says:

TrueConservative-

I agree and so do many other true conservatives.

FYI-

Governor Mike Huckabee Keynote Sepaker –
    GEORGIA RIGHT TO LIFE MARCH

It’s been 35 Years! And again on January 22, 2008, we will walk in silent remembrance of the more than 48 million babies who have been aborted since 1973. This peaceful and reverent one mile walk allows us to commemorate the Sanctity of Life and to remember these babies who should have been with us and aren’t because of two dreadful Supreme Court decisions: Roe v Wade and Doe v Bolton. These decisions made abortion legal everywhere in the country through all nine months of pregnancy for any reason or no reason.

45. GOPeach says:

MIKE is the ONLY one with a THEOLOGY DEGREE!

That is NOTHING to SNEEZE AT!

Take people like Ralph Reed and Newt Gingrich –
    both having PhD’s in US HISTORY!

The timeline in US History goes back to CREATION and to get a Theology Degree – you must know GREEK and HEBREW!!!

Anyone who slams Theology knows little about it!

46. GOPeach says:

Sorry…

A degree in US History goes back to 1400’s –
    ( more if you study native people).. but THEOLOGY means – Origins, Ancient Languages, Geography, Humaities, Literature, etc…

It’s not a hard science – but it is at the top of any liberal arts degree – PLEASE KNOW IT!!!!

47. GOPeach says:

Religion – Theology – the same discipline.

Why are you slamming someone for their education??? The majority of people have no Masters or Doctorates!!!! Who cares???????

48. TrueConservative says:

49. TrueConservative says:

50. TrueConservative says:

Huckabee is true to his own core convictions and values — he did not come to them, but he really came from them, he understands how important matters of faith are to the average person.

51. SugarHillDad says:

I wonder if the Huckster plans on putting in the Fair Tax at his own rate? Say 50%, that is probably his speed. What a true fiscal conservative he has been.

52. TrueConservative says:

With a 90% dem legislature Huckabee pushed through the first major, broad-based tax cuts in state history – a $90 million tax relief package for Arkansas families. Mike also doubled the standard deduction to $2,000 for single taxpayers and $4,000 for those who are married. He eliminated some taxes entirely: the marriage penalty, bracket creep caused by inflation, income tax on poor families, and capital gains on home sales. To encourage investment, Huckabee cut capital gains for both individuals and businesses. To help people better themselves, huckabee provided tax credits for employee training and education. In total, Mike cut taxes and fees nearly 100 times during his ten-and-a-half years as Governor, saving the people of Arkansas almost $380 million.

When Huckabee left office in early 2007, Arkansas had nearly $850 million surplas, what management.

53. Bill Simon says:

Peach,

Huckabee doesn’t know his own history. It doesn’t matter what he is, it just matters who he says he is. If he is incorrect about what he claims to be on the simplest of claims, then that points to a person who may not be what he claims he is in other respects.

One only needs to check back with George O’Leary who claimed he had a college degree when it turns out he didn’t.

54. Bill Simon says:

From the Dictionary.com Website:

Theology: The field of study and analysis that treats of God and of God’s attributes and relations to the universe; study of divine things or religious truth; divinity.

Peach, I’m not quite sure where you “divine” the knowledge to define Theology, but including things like “the arts, literature, the humanities”, etc. into what theology is doesn’t make it so.

55. GOPeach says:

My friends have theology degrees and they are FAR from being uneducated! They are some of the most intelligent people I know!

Who do YOU know with a THEOLOGY degree???

56. TrueConservative says:

I think being head of the Arkansas Southern Baptist Convention qualifies him as a theologan. If that doesn’t, what does?

57. IndyInjun says:

Bill Simon,

Taxabee represents the confluence of two cults the nutty Fair?????tax con jobbers and the conservative socialists.The use of logic, reason , and TRUTH are futile on these folks.

Being caught between them and the party of Hillary and Obama screams out for a third party of the sane.

58. GOPeach says:

Attention ALL BAPTISTS….

PLEEEEEZE Contact SOUTHERN BAPTIST SEMINARY and have then GRANT MIKE HUCKABEE an HONORARY DOCTORATE degree so slime balls like that No Show Trial Lawyer – Freddie ( Catfish Face) Thompson would shut the hell up about this !!!!! sheeeeeze

59. rugby_fan says:

“Religion – Theology – the same discipline.”

I guess yes if you consider history and political science as the same discipline, both are social sciences.

Peach, I’m guessing that if someone gets an honorary law or medical degree, you are fine with them saying they are an esquire or doctor?

60. GOPeach says:

Look Rugby –

Michael Jackson got and honorary doctorate in Music because of ACHIEVEMENT!!

Some STUDY -Some ACHIEVE!

Did Jesus have a PhD.???

61. GOPeach says:

In Louisiana – you do not have to have a law degree to practice law – Soooo sometimes degrees are a waste of time.

I have seen plenty of educated fools who can not come out of the rain…. look at John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Al Gore…. Shall I continue????

62. GOPeach says:

This is REALLY REALLY funny!!!

FRED ( Good Old Boy -Red Neck -Fried Chicken) THOMPSON …. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaa

LOL tooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!!

63. rugby_fan says:

“Did Jesus have a PhD.???”

There were no universities then either.

GOPeach, I can recommend a number of honorary doctors who would be willing to perform surgery on you if you would like.

Honorary degrees do not mean anything.

Look, the point is, if I say I have a degree in real estate, but it is actually in business, even though they are similar fields of study, I am still lying.

64. debbie0040 says:

True conservative, I hate to break it to you but Huckabee has no appeal outside of fundamentalist Christian. Only one in seven non fundamentalists support him. He will not attract independents and he will lose the fiscal conservative and moderate vote. They will not vote for someone like Huckabee.

65. GOPeach says:

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie,

You just have NO idea how many people are with Gov. Huckabee, do you? He is in it girl!

He is taking a little flack now just to keep him humble…. put he is not one to curl up and die in some little political graveyard….

Noooooooooo Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay πŸ™‚

I remember how you were such a big cheerleader for Ralph Reed ( as was/is I) ….. THEN as soon as Casey got the nominee… You changes teams faster than Giluniani’s Viagra perscriptions….

C’mon… you amaze me. πŸ™‚

When Gov. Huckabee eiether gets the VP or the Presidential nominee…. you will be ALL ABOUT HIM in a BIG way!!!!

Mike Huckabee is a FISCAL CONSERVATIVE WHO SERVED on THE EXECUTIVE level of GOVERNMENT!!!!

FYI- Romney is doing good in NH and so is Huckabee …. This could change the tides… Fred needs to pack his bags!

66. GOPeach says:

Buzz – the same goes for you too!

You will be sorry that you posted such a nasty little clip of Gov. Huckabee stressed out on diet pills.

You look like you could drop a few pounds yourself! πŸ™‚

67. TrueConservative says:

Debbie, who feeds you this garbage. Huckabee has broad appeal. He receive 48% of the black vote in Arkansas, that is unheard of. +++++ he has the powerful fair tax movement behind him…Huckabee understands that what’s wrong with the income tax can’t be fixed with “a tap of the hammer, nor a twist of the screwdriver.” That his opponents cling to the destructive Tax Code, the IRS, preserving political power of granting tax favors at continued cost to – and misery of – American families, invigorates his campaign’s raison d’etre.

Of the FairTax, Huckabee asserts that it’s…

68. debbie0040 says:

I hate to break this to you but the rest of the nation is not like Arkansas. Huckabee governed like a Democrat so of course he got votes when he ran for re-election that the Democrats normally got .

GOPEach, you are way off target for attacking Buzz for posting facts and Huckabee’s record. Embrace Huckabee’s record, since you support him. Huckabee nor his supporters can run away from his record.

If Huckabee is on the GOP Ticket in any capacity, the GOP is doomed in November…

Huckabee’s challenge is to pick up support more broadly. While 20 percent of conservatives back his candidacy, he draws only 8 percent from moderate and liberal Republicans

69. No offense Debbie, but how do you reconcile his polling? How is the ticket doomed in November, if you’re guy (who I happen to like) is not moving the base? People vote and Huckabee happens to be defying the odds. You got to give him his credit.

70. TrueConservative says:

The Huckmentum is unbelievable, considering that Huckabee has fewer staffers total than Romney has in Iowa alone. But with Sam Brownback out of the race, and despite big evangelical endorsements for Romney, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson and John McCain, could it be that rank-and-file Christian conservatives are making Huckabee the candidate of their choice? Christians learned there lesson from Ralph Reeds betrayal of God for money. He has reached an all time low by supporting Romney. All his cronies that owe him favors are backing his candidate. We now trust but VERIFY. And Huckabee has been certified as a man after Gods own heart. The followers are following God not these phony leaders trying to tell us to vote for those pagans . The GOP establishment needs an overhaul. We are sick of the lies and corruption. We will not get duped again..

71. GodHatesTrash says:

Arkansans are just like Georgians – superstitious stupid violent hicks.

The Huckleberry gradjeated from two kollidges ware they teech intellyjent deesign.

He’s your boy. Reap the whirlwind.

72. debbie0040 says:

How many moderates/fiscal conservatives on this blog will vote for Huckabee if he is the GOP nominee? Will your vote change if Hillary is the Democratic nominee?

Huckabee moved up in the polls and his record is just now being examined.

Is it Christian to misrepresent your record as Huckabee has done?

Huckabee will not appeal to moderates and independents.

May I call your attention to the fact that at this time in 2004 Howard Dean was the presumptive Democratic nominee.

73. Uncle Remus says:

Tax and spend is better than borrow and spend. How many times do you Republicans have to hear that? The Democrats are becoming more fiscally conservative than Republicans, they just aren’t duplicitous about it. Republicans have no claim on the mantle of fiscal responsibility any longer. Bush let DeLay go wild in the House and trample that empty suit, Dennis Hastert. It’s shameful, really, because neither party can claim it. Both are too embroiled in their own races to really do anything about pork, and now Republicans are trying to expand their base by appealing to moderates with huge spending projects. At least they’re against nationalized health care. I’m sorry, I just don’t want to be responsible for a guy who snorts 5 lines of cocaine a day and has a heart attack.

74. GOPeach says:

Ron Paul is the 6 MILLION DOLLAR MAN!

Now watch everyone else’ numbers start kicking in.

It will be a miracle if CONSERVATIVES are able to raise the money – But… it’s CHRISTMAS and CHRISTMAS TIME is a time for MIRACLES.!!!!

75. GOPeach says:

Romeo-

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

It looks like that guy needs to go on the MIKE HUCKABEE WEIGHTLOSS program!!! Sheeeeze

Oh and the gun thingy…. that is actually a GOOD thing… cuz that kind of publicity will “BACKFIRE” …. I could not resist!

76. debbie0040 says:

Huckabee is a spinmeister:

Under fire from conservatives, the former Arkansas governor misrepresents his tax hikes, and cuts.
    recent YouTube video, first posted by a conservative Arkansas blogger, shows about one minute of a May 2003 speech in which Huckabee encourages the Arkansas Legislature to pass tax increases. In a Fox News interview, Huckabee said that portion of the speech was taken out of context:

Huckabee (Fox News, Nov. 14): That was in the context of a [Arkansas] Supreme Court order that we had to fund education at a higher level. The legislators had come down to the special session and there was all kinds of talk about, well, this tax increase or that revenue possibility is out of the question, dead on arrival.

77. GOPeach says:

THE BASE in locked in gang!
    I am serious … the Huckabee folks are not swing voters!… They are ready to fight for him – at least everyone I know who are with him are very very good at fighting fr what they believe in. They are not the cut and run types.

78. GOPeach says:

As I post on here –

I am getting slammed with e-mails from people coming onto the Huckabee Camp from Tom Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, Sam Brownback, supporters… They are coming to help Huckabee.

It’s going to be an upset to the e-STAB-lishment!

79. John Konop says:

Romegaguy

You are sick and need real help I will pray for you! If you have a problem with Huckabee on issues make the point. The attacks on his kids just show you have no class.

80. Romegaguy says:

Covering up your son’s illegal activities is an issue John. Just as is raising taxes and lying about college degrees.

81. debbie0040 says:

Fred’s skirt chasing days ended when he got married. What other man can get his ex wife and ex girlfriends to volunteer to campaign for him?

Fred is an ex skirt chaser . Huckabee is a tax chaser and gift chaser

82. GOPeach says:

” This business will get out of control, it will get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it.”
    Fred Thompson- ” Hunt for Red October”

He was given the dismal character for a reason you know….

Certainly no Reagan!

83. GOPeach says:

Romey-

You are young and wet behind the ears.

I have known Ralph Reed for the past 20 year. His work in the past mobilized the Christian Conservative Base to where it is today… supporting MIKE HUCKABEE!!!!

They were all spooked in 06 –
    Reed, Folley, Haggard … they were freaked out but this time they know what sitting on your hands will do to ya!!!

They are locking in this time, buddy roe!

84. GOPeach says:

That is the word on the street —

Huckabee supporters know the game and they are not going to play it… They are not going to let the mud slinging flip them out.

ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS!!!

85. Romegaguy says:

but he does much better work selling out the Christian Conservatives to his true god, the almighty dollar. Isnt that right Peach?

86. Jace Walden says:

Speaking of selective values…

Anyone who can claim to support Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee has selective values. Other than the issue of abortion, the two are polar opposites in matters of policy.

Huckabee–Fiscal Liberal
    Ron Paul–Fiscal Conservative

Huckabee–Increased Tax Burden of Arkansas Taxpayers by 47%
    Ron Paul–Never Voted for a Tax Increase

Huckabee–Wants to Increase Spending in Federal Departments
    Ron Paul–Wants to eliminate federal departments

Huckabee–Wants to continue the war
    Ron Paul–Wants to pull out of the middle east ASAP

Huckabee–Wants to increase the federal governments/state governments role in education
    Ron Paul–Wants to get the government out of education

Huckabee–Wants to increase government involvement in health care
    Ron Paul–Wants to get the government out of health care

Huckabee–Has to lie about his theology degree
    Ron Paul–Has a medical degree from Duke

The two couldn’t be any different.

87. Jace Walden says:

Huckabee–wants Washington to dictate personal behavior
    Ron Paul–wants Washington out of the “legislating morality” department

Huckabee–attacks Romney’s religion
    Ron Paul–defends Romney’s religion and asks us to judge someone based on their record

88. Romegaguy says:

Peach
    What I havent done is sell out my values like Ralph. Or maybe they were never his values…

John,
    What, no link to your blog to try to drive traffic there? How are my values selective? What are my values? Tell us again about those experts that predict you would have won a General Election against Price. I need a good laugh today.

89. John Konop says:

Adam Smith would support Ron Paul. This is an article that may help some of you understand what Adam Smith really advocated. Other than Ron Paul none of the candidates come close on the issue of taxes.

1. Although he lived in the 1700s, Adam Smith is still known and revered today for his work on free-market economics, including taxation. If federal, state, and local governments would follow Smith

90. Jace Walden says:

Huckabee–supports death penalty
    Ron Paul–opposes death penalty

Huckabee–Waste more money on the “war” on drugs
    Ron Paul–Lift some of the stupid laws for non-threatening drug users

Huckabee–Supports fair tax, but wants to increase spending
    Ron Paul–supports across the board tax cuts AND wants to decrease spending

91. John Konop says:

Romegaguy

The personal attacks you make speak about you as a person, it also demonstrate your lack of belief in your issues and values. If you have a point on a issue make the point. All you and Debbie do is go personal. I do pray for both of you.

92. Doug Deal says:

Jace,

But can’t you see how much better the country will be when he institutes his national cigarette ban, national fast food ban and mandated national health insurance plan, you will realize that he alone knows what’s best for everyone?

93. Bill Simon says:

It’s funny how Ralph Reed is now questioning whether anyone’s religion is relevant to their qualifications for political office.

How fascinating that his devout followers like GOPeach seem to ignore such revelations of maturity.

94. debbie0040 says:

Thompson Gets Key Endorsement in Iowa

Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, one of the most conservative members of Congress, endorsed Fred Thompson this morning — providing the former Tennessee senator with a much-needed boost in the rapidly approaching Iowa caucuses.

Thompson issued the following statement about the endorsement: “Congressman King’s leadership in support of the sanctity of life and his efforts in the fight against illegal immigration have made him one of Iowa’s great Republican leaders. He’s a tireless fighter for the 5th district of Iowa and I’m honored by his support. I look forward to working with Congressman King over the next three weeks and into 2008 in support of the traditional conservative values he and I share.”

King’s endorsement was heavily sought by all of the leading Republican candidates. Since being elected to the House in 2002, King has emerged as a leading conservative voice in Congress, particularly on the issue of illegal immigration.

Since entering the race this fall, Thompson has cast himself as the only consistent conservative candidate in the field. His campaign has lagged, however, as the initial buzz surrounding Thompson failed to translate into real momentum, leaving Mike Huckabee to coalesce much of the support in the social conservative community that Thompson was hoping to win over.

Thompson, however, showed signs of life in last week’s debate in Iowa (a rare moment of vitality in an otherwise lackluster debate), and King’s endorsement should lend to the sense that the former senator may have a bit of momentum in the Hawkeye State.

Campaign spokeman Todd Harris said, “This endorsement comes at the perfect time for our campaign, right when Iowans are making up their minds. We kick off our Iowa bus tour tonight and this is the perfect start to what will be a very aggressive and ambitious 16 days of campaigning.”

95. GOPeach says:

Debbie –

Posts another Looooooooooooooooooooooooong newspaper clipping… Like we can not just click on the links…

Sooooo I guess I need to do the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame thing! πŸ™‚

96. GOPeach says:

PSALM 150 —

Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary;
    Praise Him in His mighty firmament!
    150:2 Praise Him for His mighty acts;
    Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
    150:3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
    Praise Him with the lute and harp!
    150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance;
    Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
    150:5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;
    Praise Him with crashing cymbals!
    150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
    Praise the Lord!

97. GOPeach says:

Maybe Gov. Huckabee needs to TURN UP HIS BASS a little louder and worship the LORD in an ear shot of FRED just for the hell of it. πŸ™‚

Seriously….. what’s wrong with MUSIC in CHURCH?????

98. GOPeach says:

FRED & OBAMA – both members of ” The Church of Christ” – instrumental music is prohibited!

What kind of music is used in the worship?

As a result of the distinctive plea of the church – a return to New Testament Faith and practice – acappella singing is the only music used in the worship. This singing, unaccompanied by mechanical instruments of music, conforms to the music used in the apostolic church and for several centuries thereafter (Ephesians 5:19). It is felt that there is no authority for engaging in acts of worship not found in the New Testament. This principle eliminates the use of instrumental music, along with the use of candles, incense, and other similar elements.

99. GOPeach says:

Maybe the reason the “Early Church” did not use musical instruments is because they were not interested in being heard by the ROMANS and people like NERO!

100. debbie0040 says:

You know Peach, I really could care less what religion a candidate is. Bill Clinton was a Southern Baptist and look at him.

What I care about is whether someone is a fiscal conservative, believes in LEGAL immigration and opposes illegal immigration and amnesty, someone that will not let murderers and rapists out of prision, someone that will not open a gift registry so their friends can gift them with furnishing a house.

In my opinion, the reason Huckabee shouts Jesus as loud as he does is so he hopes if he shouts Jesus loud enough no one will not pay attention to his record…

101. debbie0040 says:

102. Doug Deal says:

debbie0040,

Bill Clinton was a Southern Baptist, but the people shouting proudly about Huckabee’s religion would simply state that Clinton is not a REAL(tm) Southern Baptist.

103. Bill Simon says:

Bill Clinton always carried his Bible around the White House. I’ve yet to see Huckabee carry his to a debate. So, he must not be a “real” Christian.

104. TrueConservative says:

The next President of the United States will be on Larry King 2nite. Oh yeah,Bill, Mike carries the word of God in his heart, and that is why Gods wise words come out of his mouth.

105. TrueConservative says:

106. rugby_fan says:

“I am also a Southern Baptist and know fisthand that many baptists will not make it to heaven”

Does this mean the TureConservative is God himself?

If so, that is rather disappointing, I always thought he would be able to spell.

107. Bill Simon says:

Folks,

A few things things to keep in mind with regard to the uber-religious supporters on Peach Pundit:

1) SFrazier probably is a true believer in what he/she is writing with regard to his Christian beliefs, while…

2) TrueConservative is only a caricature of what he has observed over the years with regard to the extreme religious fundamentalists, and he doesn’t believe anything he is typing; he is just engaging in a little game. If you read his stuff more closely, you’ll figure out that he loves to get on here and just set people like Steve Perkins or Debbie off the charts with his religious prose.

He probably laughs himself to sleep every night…and, probably has quite the sore stomach. πŸ™‚

3) GOPeach does believe everything she types, or re-types…or, re-types with corrections, ad infinitum.

108. ConservativeCaucus says:

Please, can we talk politics and not religion? I would be glad to provide a number of blogs where we can discuss theology… but please, can we keep it to taxes, immigration, environmental policy, 2nd amendment, abortion, vision, leadership, etc?

I do enjoy a good theological discussion from time to time, but NOT HERE. I come here because I have a political itch that needs to be scratched, and I wish to engage in political discussion.

109. ConservativeCaucus says:

Sorry to double-post:

Congrats to Fred and Fred supporters… the Congressional endorsement is a catch.

Fred’s a good man and would be a good President. He isn’t my choice, but I would have no problem voting for him come November.

110. I still have the visual of Debbie typing away telling the poster to take his religious crap and shove it up his rear…. Something tells me, if things keep up the way they are (and the kook in me hopes they will) this convention in May will be the most interesting free for all fight. Somehow it will make Richardson look civil.

111. debbie0040 says:

Maurice, By the time May comes around it will be lovefest time again. The nominee will be chosen and we will be united again.

True Conservative said,”Debbie, I am also a Southern Baptist and know fisthand that many baptists will not make it to heaven. Huckabee is the real thing, genuine authentic, certified servant of God.”
    I didnot realize you had the ability to peer in people’s souls. When did you receive this gift? Did Jimmy Swaggert or perhaps Jim Baker pass it on to you?

A certified servant of God would not lie about his record like Huckabee does on a consistent basis.

A Tuition Deal For Immigrants?
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007; Page A04

Now that he has become a front-runner for the GOP presidential nomination, Mike Huckabee is feeling the heat from other Republican candidates, who are scrutinizing his record as governor of Arkansas for evidence of “liberal” or “Democratic” inclinations. One leading rival, Fred D. Thompson, has accused Huckabee of having “championed” an effort to permit illegal immigrants to benefit from in-state tuition rates at state universities. Huckabee has denied the charge, saying that his support was limited to a much more restrictive scholarship program.

Huckabee’s denials fly in the face of the record.

112. John Konop says:

Debbie

The CIA, military experts, conservatives like William F Buckley as well as 70% of America agree with Huckabee that are arrogant nation building strategy is not the best way. But hey do not let facts get in the way you feel.

113. GOPeach says:

Debbie-

Are you a Christian or a Southern Baptist?

Gov. Huckabee is a Christian who just haoppend to have attended a Southern Baptist College and served in a Southern Baptist Church as a servant-leader.

There is a common quote among non-Baptists – I doubt you have heard it…

” There are more Baptists than Christians.” πŸ™‚

By the way … it was tacky of you to attack the Assemblies of God …”When did you receive this gift? Did Jimmy Swaggert or perhaps Jim Baker pass it on to you?”

But then again… that is what a good Baptist would do!

114. ConservativeCaucus says:

Sigh…

All right, that does it for me. If you would like to blog on religion, please visit one of these sites. I googled “religion blogs” and here are the top two results:

If that doesn’t do it for you, I suggest googling “baptist blogs” or “mormon blogs” or whatever suits your fancy.

Please, I beg of you… stop questioning one’s sincerity of belief because they don’t support your candidate!

I love Huckabee… I truly do. I think he is best for the country. I too am a devout Christian. However, I have other devout Christian friends who are supporting almost all of the other candidates.

Every one of the GOP candidates would be far better than Obama or Clinton. Do I have policy differences with the GOP candidates (including my guy)? YES! But one’s faith in God is not determined by whom you support for President. So please, can we leave religion out of this?

Talk about issues, policy, vision, record, electability, communication skills, etc of the different candidates. I am BEGGING you!

115. Jace Walden says:

ConservativeCaucus,

Huckabee has made Christianity a legitimate topic of discussion in this race. Additionally, if you religious-righters don’t want to talk about Christianity, then quit bringing it into politics.

116. GOPeach says:

Just for the record everyone… I am over here laughing.

I think it is really funny when people discuss politics and “church” and people discuss religion on a political blog …

AND THEN want to separate Church and State like what the liberals spin as being “Kun Stee Too Shun Al”….

When we all know there is NO SUCH THING!!!

27 of our nation’s 56 founding fathers had Christian seminary degrees! That would hardly qualify them as deists….

We all bring our faith with us ( or the lack thereof) to the polls with us on election day.

When the results come in, we see who is who.

117. GOPeach says:

Here is how I vote –

100% PRO LIFE!

There is not but 2 people running for President who are 100% PRO LIFE –

Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee.

After I see who is 100% Pro-Life, then I go down the list on fiscal issues.

BABIES B-4 BUCKS!

118. debbie0040 says:

The National Right to Life and other state Right to Life Groups have endorsed Thompson. Guess they don’t count…

Another one of Huckabee’s endorsements:

NEW HAMPSHIRE NEA TO ENDORSE CLINTON AND HUCKABEE. This is the first time NH NEA, a 16,000 member affiliate of the NEA, has endorsed a presidential candidate for the Republican primary. He was the only Republican candidate to address the NEA at its national convention last July. Arkansas Eagle leader Betsy Hagan wasn

119. debbie0040 says:

The Right to Life bit was directed at Peach. Guess they would endorse some one that is not pro life according to Peach.

120. GOPeach says:

Debbie-

It seems you know little about NRTL!
    They ALLOW the 3 acceptions – Hun.

I know Georgia candidates who will NOT get the GRTL endorsement because they are for the 3 acceptions.

THAT means .. there is a legal loophole to pour money into Planned Parenthood to murder babies conceived by rape, etc…

FRED has that compromising endorsement. Those of us in the Pro-Life Community knows what THAT means.

I like up and down voted on Pro-Life issues to weed out the ” luke warm” folks.

121. Jace Walden says:

I did:

[A]bortion is the removal or expulsion of an embryo or fetus from the uterus, resulting in or caused by its death.

What I just describe constitutes abortion. However, it also consitutes on of those dreadful “exceptions” you just railed about.

I’m just curious as to how someone who claims to be up and down pro-life can square with forcing someone to deliver a baby even if it means she is at an elevated risk of death. That’s all.

122. debbie0040 says:

I know that GRTL caused a great deal of controversy when they refused to endorse Chambliss when he ran against Cleland because he believes in the three exceptions…

Peach you just criticized the three exceptions. Life of the Mother is one of the exceptions. In order to obtain the GRTL endorsement, you have to believe in no exceptions.

123. debbie0040 says:

Thompson’s Pro Life Endorsements besides NRTL:

Fred Thompson Receives Endorsement of California ProLife Council

Fred Thompson Receives Endorsement of Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life

Fred Thompson Receives Endorsement of Wisconsin Right to Life

Fred Thompson Receives Endorsement of South Carolina Citizens for Life

Statement by Fred Thompson on West Virginians for Life Endorsement

124. GOPeach says:

Muslims and Hindus do not have a Church-
    Only Christ has a Church… they have Temples and Mosques.

They are using our laws against us as we speak!

The sad thing is Rugby … you must be out playing rugby instead of noticing what is happening like say at…. Government/State Schools!!!!

Students can say ” Allah” and celebrare Ramadan, Kwanza, Chanankah, etc… but they can not say CHRISTmas and they are not to mention JESUS in school.

Chrsitian liberties are being threatened because we have a separation of Church and State not-
    Temple and State!!!

125. ConservativeCaucus says:

Two things:

The GRTL endorsement has the 1 exception rule, not zero.

Two, I didn’t say that faith had no role in public discourse, but rather, I don’t think it is beneficial to discuss theology here. I apologize for not making that clear. It is true that part of Huckabee’s draw is that he is a devout Christian. That alone would not qualify him to be President. I believe that he has a record of working to get things done in Arkansas, a vision to move America up through vertical politics, and I see him as being an effective communicator for the Conservative cause.

And to Debbie’s assertion that Thompson is pro-life: Yes, he has a pro-life voting record and I am grateful for that. I am pleased that when he had the opportunity to vote on legislation, he always (to my knowledge) voted for life. I commend him for that. The difference between Huckabee and Thompson on life is that Huckabee championed the pro-life cause while Thompson cast several votes for pro-life legislation.

In Georgia, when we think of cracking down on illegal immigration, we don’t think of State Senators Jeff Chapman or Cecil Staton (fine Senators in their own right). Who do we think of? Chip Rogers. You see, Chapman and Staton voted right, but Rogers championed the cause. We give a tip of the hat to Chapman and Staton for voting right, we give a big thank you to Rogers for making it happen.

In my view, the GOP has a deep level of candidates and we should be pleased. The Dems only have one or two and frankly, they scare me. Each one of the GOP candidates have strengths and weaknesses in the primary and the general and we will collectively decide who we want to represent us in November.

If Huckabee is our guy, I ask my fellow Republicans to join me. If it isn’t, know that I will be voting for whomever we nominate.

126. GOPeach says:

I am leaving a lot off …. you get the picture!

Anyway…. Hey- I agree with Conservative Caucus!
    Gov. Huckabee will not WIN the White House with the Pro-Life Vote … that is “merely” his base ( which is not going to cave in the midst of a fight)…

Gov. Huckabee appeals to a LOT of people! Even my Democrat son is voting for him because he is Pro-Israel and my son is Jewish!

127. GOPeach says:

I want to take this time to explain the politics behind … ” Life of the Mother” as an “acception” to The Abortion Issue.

This is political propaganda to lean left and give millions to Planned Parenthood- The largest abortion mill in America!

As a mother of 5 and grandmother of 8, I can say that I would give up my life in a second so that my kids could live.

Most women feel like I do. I do not know one descent mother who would have their child murdered so they could live.

No after having said that, in a medical case, if a baby happens to die while trying to save the life of the mother, THAT IS NOT AN ABORTION – that is a FATALITY -an accident!

It is an accidental death – not a premeditated murder.

Does that make sense????

128. Jace Walden says:

GOPeach,

You have managed to duck, dive, and dodge your way around the question again….then you choose to duck out…very similiar to the way you ducked out when I presented the Huckabee facts to you in another thread after you specifically asked me where I got my information.

Anyway, I’ve given up trying to get an adequate response from you, so in a vain attempt to make a point, I’ll ask you one more time:

Do you think that a woman should be forced to deliver a live baby, if such deliver will almost certainly cause her to die?

129. IndyInjun says:

Question 1:

How does a “Christian” like Huckabee campaign on a tax “reform” that gives Exxon-Mobil an instant $10 billion gift of back taxes while putting a 30% tax on frail pensioner’s nursing home care?

Question 2:

Can a REAL CHRISTIAN call such a deal “fair” and not be resignatio ad infernum?

130. TrueConservative says:

Huckabee is all about calling his listeners to “do something,” to awaken them to their own empowerment, and summon them to action in order that “Main Street,” and not “Wall Street,” will prevail in guarding the values and beliefs upon which the Republic was founded.

131. TrueConservative says:

132. debbie0040 says:

Conservatve caucus, My vision for America and yours are different.

I oppose amnesty and illegal immigration, Huckabee says he does but his record and plan say otherwise. If you and your family are not required to move back to your home country and take your place in the back of the line and wait several years then it is amnesty. Huckabee’s plan tries to pull the wool over our eyes with his touchback provision. The Senate Immigration Bill did the same thing.

Huckabee is pro illegal immigration. He opposed a bill that would deny state benefits to illegals. He opposed this bill that would require proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. He called this bill un-American and un-Christian.

My vision of America is not a big government, tax and spend President.

My vision of America is not a President that releases murderers and raptists from prison because they shout Jesus loud enough…

Just because you support Fair Tax doesn’t mean you are a fiscal conservative…

I used to support Fair Tax but am not so sure now because Huckabee has hijacked the issue…

133. John Konop says:

Debbie,

The truth is Huckabee gave clemency mainly to kids who made mistakes when they were young on issues like drugs and hot checks. Do you think it is better not to give them a second chance?

One person served in Iraq and wanted to be a police officer and wrote a hot check at 17. Do you think that was poor judgment?

134. debbie0040 says:

These really sound like kids that needed a second chance. Quit pimping that propagnada bs.

James Maxwell, who killed a pastor of the Church of God in Arkansas. Maxwell worked at the Governor’s Mansion when Huckabee announced his intent to reduce his prison sentence.

_Samuel W. Taylor, convicted on a drug charge. A prosecutor said the man had told him Taylor’s sister had gone to school with Huckabee. Huckabee said the sister didn’t influence the decision. Taylor subsequently was arrested on another drug charge.

_Donald W. Clark, convicted of theft. Huckabee’s pastor recommended leniency for Clark, whose stepmother worked on Huckabee’s gubernatorial staff.

_Robert A. Arnold Jr., who was convicted of killing his father-in-law. Arnold’s father, a former mayor of Hope, Huckabee’s hometown, said he was a casual friend of the governor.

_A pastor who promoted Huckabee among blacks urged the governor to grant clemency to John Henry Claiborne, who was sentenced to 100 years for a 1994 armed robbery, according to a 2004 report in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Huckabee made Claiborne eligible for parole after receiving a letter from the Rev. Charles Williams, who told the newspaper he had helped win “many, many” clemencies from Huckabee.

_Denver Witham, convicted of beating a man to death with a lead pipe at bar, had his sentence commuted by Huckabee. The action drew the ire of prosecutors who speculated that Huckabee’s act of clemency was related to Witham, who was lead singer in a prison band, being a fellow musician.

Huckabee has repeatedly faced criticism from prosecutors over his clemency policies. And in 2002, Ashley Stevens, the 1984 rape victim, joined Angela McCoy, the daughter of the Rev. Billy Price Bennett who was shot to death in 1979 by James Maxwell, to campaign against Huckabee’s re-election.

“I just thought that the power of executive clemency was being exercised on the wrong folks,” said Pulaski County Prosecutor Larry Jegley, a Democrat who also campaigned against Huckabee.

As for DuMond, the convicted rapist initially was sentenced to life plus 20 years for his conviction in the 1984 rape of Stevens when she was a teenager, but Tucker reduced the sentence to 39 1/2 years, making DuMond eligible for parole.

While Huckabee told reporters last week that DuMond’s file was waiting for him when he took office, his interest in the case started two years earlier after he met with DuMond’s wife, Dusty. When he took office, she contacted Huckabee again. “He said if he was ever in a position to look into it he would try to remember it,” Dusty DuMond said in a 1996 interview with The Associated Press.

Stevens met with Huckabee and his staff in 1996 to discuss his intent to grant clemency.

“I could tell he had already made up his mind,” Stevens told the AP last week.

Huckabee argues that it was Tucker’s decision to reduce DuMond’s sentence that made him eligible for parole, and he maintains he had little

135. debbie0040 says:

Gov. Huckabee has lost a protracted, unnecessary fight with county prosecutors, who warned him a long time ago that he would get in trouble if he kept issuing clemencies at a furious pace and without explanation.
    __ At first he accused them of playing politics, but he has now agreed to prosecutors’ demands that he open up the process, and he has even withdrawn several clemencies that he had considered issuing for a group of killers.
    __ Prosecutors have announced their own guidelines that Huckabee should follow, and whether he does or not, the Legislature next year will vote those guidelines into law. +++ This was a fight he couldn’t win, but apparently no one on his staff could convince him of that until prosecutors and victims’ families fought an all-out public relations battle and forced him to retreat.
    __ They won because Huckabee couldn’t explain why he was freeing one group of brutal killers while he was executing others.
    __ Talk about playing God.

Prosecutors seek more openness on pardons

___When you talk to prosecutors around the state, many of them will tell you they’re unhappy that Gov. Huckabee pardons criminals without letting law-enforcement officials or victims’ families know why he’s doing it, as he’s required by law.
    ___ “He doesn’t take giving clemency very seriously,” complains Saline County Prosecuting Attorney Robert Herzfeld, who will push for new legislation next year to make the clemency process less secretive.

Huckabee, prosecutors go on offensive
    ___They trade jabs over sentencing, pardoning of killers, other thugs

___Several prosecutors around the state are upset with Gov. Huckabee for grant- ing clemency to violent criminals, but he is blaming the prosecutors for often not seeking the maximum penalty and keeping felons locked up longer.
    ___Until now, Huckabee has refused to comment on his controversial policy of making violent prisoners eligible for parole

136. ConservativeCaucus says:

Debbie,

I think you would be surprised. If I had to guess, if you and I sat down and talked about the issues, I bet we would agree on 99% of them. I too am for a secure border. I too believe in limited government. I too believe in defending the unborn. I too believe in tax cuts.

Does Huckabee have a perfect record? Probably not. Who does? Giuliani? McCain? Romney? Thompson? They all have made decisions or supported legislation that I disagree with.

As I see Huckabee, I see someone who has been a good leader in Arkansas and would be a good leader for the US. Were he to be elected, I think (and hope) you would be pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps all of this is a waste of our time as we try to convince each other that your guy is evil and my guy is a saint. For the record, although I don’t think that Thompson would be the best nominee, I do think he is a good man and would make a good President.

No matter the outcome, I trust that we can come together and get behind the GOP nominee. I know I will.

137. debbie0040 says:

I will support the GOP nominee.

A good leader doesn’t release murders and rapists because they shout Jesus loud enough.

If you are anti illegal immigration you would not be supporting Huckabee. 84 anti illegal immigration groups are getting the word out about Huckabee and his record on illegal immigration and his current shamnesty plan. They are also condemning Gilchrist for his endorsement of Huckabe..

138. debbie0040 says:

CC, ifyou believe in limited government then you would not be supporting Huckabee.

It appears that Huckabee has had a “road to DesMoines conversion” when it comes to taxes, small government and illegal immigration. I don’t believe him for a minute.

139. ConservativeCaucus says:

Next thing you are going to tell me if that I was a Christian… just kidding.

Respectfully, I am a limited government, enforce the borders conservative and I am enthusiastically supporting Huckabee. Does he have the strongest limited government record? No… Ron Paul does. At least my guy opposed campaign finance reform.

140. debbie0040 says:

I have good friends that support Huckabee, some Giuliani and some Romney I expect we will all work together for the GOP nominee when the nominee is chosen.

This is not personal, so I don’t take things personally.

I truly believe that Huckabee will destroy the GOP’s chances to keep the Whitehouse. That is why I am opposing Huckabe as hard as I am. There is far too much at stake not to.

141. debbie0040 says:

To be honest, my favorite one is Duncan Hunter, but he can’t win.

I do wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Peach, Conservative Caucus, Maurice, you will enjoy this below:

To All My Democrat Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the ! only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To My Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

142. ConservativeCaucus says:

Fair enough. I appreciate your post at 7:16am. We can agree to disagree. I can see how some think he would hurt the GOP’s chances. I see him as someone who can connect with “Reagan Democrats.”

We can certainly agree on Hunter. I have often wondered why this great Congressman, wonderful human being and patriot never caught on. He appears to be everything that most conservatives want without any of the concerns (perhaps if he was up in the polls, he would be attacked too).

Merry Christmas to you as well Debbie.

143. debbie0040 says:

Look at it this. The attacks coming now are just a prelude to what the Democrats will do to our nominee. Everything is coming out in the open, so hopefully they will have nothing new to throw out…

144. debbie0040 says:

I look at this type thing in this perspective. I am an Alabama Fan but my hubby is a Georgia fan. During the Alabama-Georgia game we are on opposing sides and cheer for our team and boo the other team. That doesn’t mean we aren’t still married .When the game is over it is put behind us…

145. Doug Deal says:

Wow,

I had no idea Ann Coulter was a complete idiot. Regardless of what she has said over the years, the clinching fact is that she thinks evolution is a fraud.

146. JonHodges says:

Mike Huckabee is the exact opposite of what our country needs. Mike is a Christian statist. If you will notice, Mike has a government solution to just about every problem ailing our country. I am a Christian, but one that favors limited government. Christians need to wake up and realize that the freedoms that they have in this country will be taken away from them by guys like Mike Huckabee. Huckabee signed anti-homeschooling legislation in Arkansas:

The only GOP candidate worth supporting for the nomination is Dr. Paul.

147. debbie0040 says:

debbie0040 // Dec 21, 2007 at 5:44 am

CC, Maurice, your candidate, Huckabee, has flipped flopped on immigration. Just last year he was supportive of the Bush Senate Immigration Bill .

Huckabe has been caught lying about his record. Pretty hypocritical of you gusy to blast Romney when your candidate has done the same.

Huckabee

148. John Konop says:

Debbie

I was watching the Morning Joe and they claim the rumor is out if Thompson does badly in Iowa he may pull out and endorse McCain. In 1999 Thompson did endorse McCain over Bush.

149. debbie0040 says:

Huckabee not credible on illegal immigration

One must wonder which Mike Huckabee Minuteman Project co-founder James Gilchrist has endorsed (“Illegals foes reject nod to Huckabee,” Nation, Thursday). Is it the Mr. Huckabee who said that opposition to amnesty for illegal aliens was “driven by racism or nativism” and pushed for in-state tuition for illegal aliens as governor of Arkansas?

Is it the Mr. Huckabee who wrote in his book this year that strict enforcement of our immigration laws would be “sheer folly”? Or is it the Mr. Huckabee who described Arizona’s legislation requiring proof of citizenship to vote and demonstration of eligibility to access public benefits as “inflammatory race-baiting demagoguery”?

Or is it the candidate Huckabee with the Clintonian “anything-for-a-vote,” sudden, poll-driven, new-and-improved position on the organized crime of illegal immigration, illegal employment and our unsecured borders?

D.A. KING

President

Dustin Inman Society

Marietta Ga.

150. ConservativeCaucus says:

Debbie,

Do we really want to talk about GOP candidates who are out of step with the party or are a recent convert to conservative thought? Really? If we go down that road, then I suggest that you get out there and bang the drum for Duncan Hunter (although he is a fair trader, not entirely a free trader).

I don’t understand how you can go after Huckabee for listening to the American people and recognize the importance of securing our borders, but you would throw yourself into the waiting arms of a man (Romney) who two years ago was essentially a moderate-left democrat. Can you really believe that he means what he says NOW?

If you think that the GOP did a number on John Kerry, just wait until you see what the Deomcrats do to Romney.

“If you look at the literature, or look at the dictionary, the term “saw” includes being aware of, in the sense I’ve described. It’s a figure of speech and very familiar and it’s very common and I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort.”
    – Mitt Romney

Makes me long for the days when I didn’t know how to define the word “is.”

151. debbie0040 says:

You are criticizing Romney for the same thing that Huckabee has done. At least Romney is a fiscal conservative and doesn’t try to use his religion to obscure his record as Huckabee does.

Romney did change his position just like Huckabee did.

Huckabee has been caught in lies as well.

When Huckabee ran for Arkansas Governor, he made promises to reform the Clinton Education Department. After he was elected, he did not keep those promises and in fact, he kept the same Clinton people in the Education Department.

I don’t trust Huckabee to keep his promises…He broke them once he will do it again..

152. debbie0040 says:

What do you think the Democrats will do to Huckabee? Get real. Huckabee has done his share of flip flopping as well..

Romney has a greater chance of defeating Hillary than Huckabee does.

I can already imagine the “willy Horton” type ads. And then there will the ads about Huckabee wanting to quarantine AIDS patients.

153. ConservativeCaucus says:

You and I have a profound disagreement on who has a better chance against Hillary.

Huckabee has an appeal that reaches beyond GOP orthodoxy, I submit that Gov. Romney does not.

154. Debbie, in the spirit of the season, you’re a nut!

You take an issue and manipulate it into something it certainly isn’t.

Romney has zero, zip, zilch, nada chance of beating Hillary. Did I say, THE MAN HAS NO CHANCE to beat Hillary. People don’t like arrogance. Especially this kind of arrogance. http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gqm5iBQgdTIHSsDf2AuvI5I-4QPgD8TLNGS80

Out of the whole field of candidates, weak or top tier, this is one guy I’m not keen on.

Debbie, in case you missed it,,,, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3082350.ece

oh and here’s another http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317729,00.html

155. debbie0040 says:

PEGGY NOONAN

American Pastoral
    Mike Huckabee preaches to the choir, but not everyone’s singing along.

Leap of Faith
    Mike Huckabee and Little Rock ethics.

BY KIMBERLEY A. STRASSEL
    Friday, December 21, 2007 12:01 a.m. EST

Mr. Huckabee is starting to get a look-see by the press, though whether the nation will have time to absorb the findings before the primaries is just as unknown. The small amount that has been unearthed so far ought to have primary voters nervous. It isn’t just that Mr. Huckabee is far from a traditional conservative; he’s a potential ethical time bomb.

156. debbie0040 says:

I like Romney far more than I like Huckabee. Huckabee is my last choice and nothing will change that. I would rather see John McCain win than Huckabee.

157. debbie0040 says:

The Impending Thompson Surge

Thompson is Conservative, Thompson is Presidential
    The Impending Thompson Surge
    By JB Williams Thursday, December 20, 2007

Seven major pollsters issued new national numbers for mid-December, after the last Republican debate in Iowa, which was hosted by the hostile Des Moines Register which is for the record, endorsing the Hillary Clinton and John McCain campaigns.

An overall average of these seven polls

Giuliani

158. GOPeach says:

Gov. Huckabee has something very powerful going for him… It’s MO!

MOMENTUM!

Floats like a butterfly – Stings like a HuckaBEE!

He is the ONLY candidate who can make Hillary look like Jezebel and Obama look like Mohammad.

I think Gov. Huckabee has been baptized in fire.

159. I actually thought it was a pretty good article. Sure she was rough on the candidate I’m supporting, but I enjoyed her writing style.

What that has drawn out is a concerted effort from various angles to squash his populist appeal. To the credit of all the negative campaigning, it is somewhat effective.

But even in the negative campaigning he’s forcing is agenda. Every dollar these campaigns spend smearing his name is one less dollar they spend marketing their ideas… For me, that tells me more about them than it does what they want people to be concerned about Huckabee. For me I am more confident in my choice.

And Huckabee plods on.

160. ConservativeCaucus says:

I am close to becoming “anything but Romney.” Maybe I am wrong about the guy, but he seems like everything that is wrong with politics.

He attacks McCain today for failing “Reagan 101.”

Does he really want to draw these comparisons to Reagan?

Also, with all of these negative attacks, it makes you wonder what he meant when he said this:

Do we really know what this guy believes… about ANYTHING?

161. Bill Simon says:

“In my opinion, Huckabee is completely dominating the agenda. He presents his agenda, presents his agenda, presents his agenda and moves on. You can see the heart of the candidate.”

Hmm…isn’t this what people said about Ralph Reed last year…right up to the point when it was exposed that he was “fighting casinos” as a paid consultant from the owners of other casinos who didn’t want the competition?

Maurice, you, of all people, should be wary of what a candidate claims he is.

162. Bill, last year Casey completely dominated the agenda from A to Z. He has lead with the same agenda and is doing a stellar job.

His opponent had baggage that was so definitive and part of current events that required a response, and the campaign did.

163. rugby_fan says:

Only 256 more comments until we set a new Peach Pundit record for most comments!

You all can do your part, Democrat, Republican or other.

So let’s get to it!

Huckabee is a fool.

McCain is a has been.

Romney is a joke.

Giuliani is a flip-flopper.

Paul has no shot (the Broun variety has no shot of getting sworn in. Interesting that both Paul’s have no shot. Makes you wonder about the world).

Obama=Osama.

Hillary is a communist.

Edwards is a hypocrite.

There that should get some conversation going.

For Bill Simon:

Snide comment.

164. GOPeach says:

Rugby said –

Huckabee is a fool. — hummmmm

Not according to King David-
    Psalm 14:1
    The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.

Then King Solomon would not agree either!!!

Proverbs 10:18
    He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool.