Linder endorses Huckabee

More good news for the Huckabee camp.

Duluth, GA- John Linder (R-GA) released the following statement announcing his support for Mike Huckabee for the GOP presidential nomination:

“I am proud to announce my endorsement of Mike Huckabee for the GOP presidential nomination. The values and character Mike has shown throughout this campaign are reflective of what America should strive to be. Most importantly, he has shown that he has the tenacity to confront our nation’s problems head on. A good example of this is his zeal to replace a broken, crippling, tax system and replace it with the FairTax. This is an idea that I have worked on for over 10 years and I have had the opportunity to talk with Mike about it on numerous occasions. He understands the need for change, and he understands that we are far past quick fixes.”

“Our country has reached a point where we need big ideas to affect real change. Mike Huckabee is the only candidate I have seen with the vision and fortitude to bring big ideas to the table, and for that reason, he has my full support.”

We need to coin a phrase to describe Huckabee’s rise. Maybe Huckmentum (ala Joementum)? Mikementum? Maybe drop the ! from Fred! and and say Mike!

Powered by ScribeFire.

1. Jace Walden says:

“Let’s put Aids patients in leper colonies even though that its 1992 and EVERYONE knows that Aids can’t be spread through casual contact. Who needs Magic Johnson around anyway?”–Mike Huckabee

2. Jace Walden says:

The reason that I feel qualified to call Huckabee a “stupid, mouth-breathing hick” is because I too am actually a stupid, mouth-breathing hick. It takes one to know one.

As a stupid, mouth-breathing hick, let me be the first to tell you…you don’t want another one of us elected on anything.

3. Doug Deal says:

Linder is overly concerned about the NRST, so he probably only cares about who is most likely to enact it. There are issues beyound taxation that are much more important, like immigration and spending. Unless spending is under control first, I will not support the NRST.

Linder is a good endorsement, but remember in 1999 when nearly every Republican governor endorsed Bush over McCain, Kasich, Forbes et al. Certainly Bush was elected, but how many people are happy about his 8 years?

Endorsements are silly. Let the candidates speak on the issues, and let them stand on their records, not let snake oil salesmen (other politicians) tell you who to vote for.

4. IndyInjun says:

How many millstones can one lamentable candidate have?

The FAIR????tax is a CON JOB, so having a con artist running for POTUS hawking it is to be expected.

Maybe they need to ask Max Burns if hugging that tar baby is a good idea.

As for Linder, he voted for NCLB, Medicare D, and a 70% expansion in the welfare state on the way to doubling the official national debt during the Bush years.

The ‘reform’ needed is to boot every charlatan and impostor out of the GOP. Linder is a pig who needs to go.

5. eehrhart says:

Could a conservative truly support such actions as these?

Over the course of his 10 and a half years as governor, Huckabee granted a staggering 1,033 clemencies, according to the Associated Press. That was more than double the combined 507 that were granted during the 17 and a half years of his three predecessors: Bill Clinton, Frank White, and Jim Guy Tucker.

In many cases, Huckabee’s actions set loose savage criminals convicted of grizzly murders over the passionate objections of prosecutors and victims’ families. (jawa report)

This will make really fun campaign fodder for the Presidential campaign.

6. Donkey Kong says:

Great. Now that Linder endorsed Huck, I know for a fact that I’ll oppose Huck in the primaries. This made my decision very easy.

7. debbie0040 says:

Mike-El, you win the prize!! That is by far the best one yet 🙂

Want to find out about Huckabee while he was Governor? Go to this online newspaper and do a search on Huckabee

There are many Republicans in Arkansas that are unhappy with Huckabee.

8. Chris says:

Given Mike’s tax & spend ways, Linder & Boortz should start updating their flyers to talk about a 35% inclusive tax on all goods & services and not 23%.

Subway’s Jared has also endorsed Mike Huckabee, after Governor Huckabee unveiled his plan to ban fast-food.

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

That endorsement was a no-brainer once Huck became remotely viable due to Linder’s ruthless efficiency nice Red uniform almost fanatical devotion to the Pope unfailing love for his FairTax proposal 😉

10. Tommy_a2b says:

From John Fund-

What’s Next? Trial Lawyers for Huckabee?

For New Hampshire conservatives it was a surreal moment. Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor who is vying for first place in the GOP primary polls there, was endorsed yesterday by the New Hampshire affiliate of the National Education Association.

The union’s President Rhonda Wesolowski called a news conference to praise Mr. Huckabee for opposing school vouchers — the only Republican candidate to do so — and for his backing of a national mandate for arts and music education. Ms. Wesolowski acknowledged some differences with Mr. Huckabee on charter schools, but that was outweighed by his record in supporting higher taxes to improve public education. Along with the union’s endorsement of Mr. Huckabee in the GOP race, she announced her group would be endorsing Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary. In 2004, New Hampshire’s NEA affiliate declined to endorse a GOP primary candidate and endorsed Howard Dean for the Democratic nomination.

Mr. Huckabee’s wife yesterday accepted the endorsement with evident pleasure. “You always remember your first: You remember your first car, you remember your first home, you remember the birth of your first child,” Janet Huckabee said. “And if this is a first for you, it’s a first for us. And we gladly, gladly will remember this first and accept your recommendation.”

Not everyone believes the NEA endorsement will be a plus in low-tax New Hampshire. “No doubt the NEA’s endorsement has something to do with Huckabee’s opposition to private school choice and his support for a federally mandated and funded arts and music curriculum,” says Club for Growth President Pat Toomey. “Like Hillary Clinton, Mike Huckabee puts the interests of a labor union ahead of children’s education.”

Watch for Mr. Huckabee’s endorsement by the NEA to be a bone of contention when the GOP candidates debate today at a forum in Iowa sponsored by the Des Moines Register.

11. debbie0040 says:

Rep. Ehrhart, you guys in the House and Senate need release the list of Fred supporters under the Gold Dome.

12. Chris says:

Bill,

I don’t know. Maybe President Huckabee will require every citizen to get a fitness club membership, and you’ll have to provide proof of 25 minutes of exercise before being allowed to buy a burger.

13. Carpe Forem says:

The Fair Tax Magnet just came off the tailgate of my truck. In it’s place, 3 more bumper stickers for Ron Paul.

Boortz and Linder have both stated they can’t support Paul due to one issue, his opposition to the Iraq war. But, they’re willing to throw away all their conservative (and libertarian) views and values to support the Huckster due to one issue, the fair tax.
    That makes absolutely no sense.
    I’m with Chris, nobody wants a 35-54% tax, regardless how fair it is.

14. StevePerkins says:

John Linder formally endorsed Mitt Romney earlier this year, when Romney was the clear front runner. He then all but endorsed Fred Thompson in the summer, when Fred was the frontrunner for Georgia mindshare. Now that Huckabee is the Georgia front-runner, Linder is officially endorsing him.

What a complete joke of a flip-flopping COWARD. There are 27 responses in this thread so far, and not ONE person has pointed out what a hypocritical and unprincipled move this is? Good grief, Linder… why not cut out the B.S. and just wait until the GOP convention. You can endorse whoever the winner is five minutes before their nomination is made official.

15. shep1975 says:

I hate to say it, but when one of the reddest of the red states, Utah (also the home of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), voted down vouchers last month, I don’t think it is the winning issue that many of us wish it were. Vouchers fail horribly among suburban voters (except with those of us suburbanites who are party activists).

And until we can unplug those that make poor decisions for themselves from the public money trough, then I don’t mind some mandates. I don’t care if you want to smoke, eat fatty foods and be 100 punds overweight, ride without a motorcycle helmet, but when I have to pay for you when you get lung cancer, have a heart attack, or splat your brains all over I-75, then your freedom is taking away mine, and that is unacceptable.

We can hope for the day that people who make poor decisions will automatically be opted out, but until then, we must live in the reality we have.

However, I doubt Big Mac bans are going to be part of our nation’s future.

As for Fred, as I said, he’s done. His best day was the day before he announced and I am not the only one who was very involved in the Fred draft effort who is now in the Huckabee camp. Fred was the most conservative candidate with a shot, but he blew his shot. You might as well get behind Duncan Hunter at this point if you’re a Fred supporter. It actually makes me a little angry to see how he completely squandered the opportunity that was given to him, which is also not a character trait I want in a President.

It’s time to get in the row boat where there is still an opportunity to help steer rather than keep trying to bail water from the Titanic.

Looking at the other candidates, the only choices are Mitt “I was for [insert any liberal issue here] before I ran for President and was against it” Romney and Rudy “I look better in a dress than Hillary” Guiliani.

Huckabee isn’t perfect, but he’s head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

16. Jace Walden says:

I love this. I hope you guys keep pimping Huckabee from here until election day.

A Huckabee candidacy is a rubber-stamp for the Democratic nominee and is tantamount to an endorsement of four more years of Republicans becoming less relevant than ever.

17. debbie0040 says:

Shep you are naive if think Huckabee can beat Hillary.

I still support Fred and think he is doing great in the debate.

To be completely honest as far as I am concerned it is anybody but Huckabee at this point in the GOP Primary. Huckabee would insure the Democrats victory…

Funny how you criticize Mitt about changing his stance but your guy Huckabee did the exact same thing on Immigration. He supported the Senate Amnesty Bill and was in favor of giving illegals a path to citizenship.

18. Doug Deal says:

Nate,

Haven’t you heard, the only thing that makes a person Fiscally Conservative is their stance on abortion. The only thing that makes them social conservative is abortion. The only thing that makes them Republican is abortion and the only thing that matters in any Republican primary is abortion. Who cares if it isn’t a federal issue?

In my opinion, if that issue was taken away, everyone would be wondering why Bush or Huckabee weren’t liberal Democrats.

19. shep1975 says:

And Fred is so up on his foreign policy? Going to a foreign nation to make a film does not make one a foreign policy expert. There is also a huge difference in government’s role on the state versus the national level. If Huckabee was running Arkansas like the DC, he could have deficit spent without worrying about the debt he was leaving for future generations.

Also, on a lot of what you are complaining about, Nate, Huckabee led by example. He stopped smoking. He dropped 100+ pounds and kept it off.

As for Iran…Reagan, the arch anti-Communist, was still the one who sat down with them when the timing was right. When Reagan first met with Gorbachev, Gorby started listing his demands to the US. Reagan got up, said, “nyet!”, left the room, and got on AF1 back to DC. There is a huge difference between “talks” and “compromise.” Obama doesn’t want “talks” he wants the US to give concessions through “compromise.” Obama would have said to Gorby, “Thank you sir, can I have another.”

It wasn’t Bush’s “compasionate conservatism” that has so hurt the GOP, it was Congress and Bush’s, “we never met a spending project we didn’t love” policy that got us into trouble.

20. shep1975 says:

Debbie, Romney has changed his stance on almost every issue possible depending on which election he was running in. The whole thing about the DNC holding on Huckabee on Drudge has been completely discredited now that it has been shown it came, not from some secret DNC source, but the Romney camp.

I Fred can’t win a primary, how do you expect him to beat Hillary? That’s what’s even more amazing. Remind me to send you and Nate bigger water buckets for Christmas.

21. shep1975 says:

Jace, a Hillary vicotry would be the absolute best thing to happen to the GOP since her husband was elected. With her at the helm, Democrats won’t be able to get themselves elected dog catcher by 2012.

22. debbie0040 says:

I wonder how many Democrats are contributing money to Huckabee’s campaign to insure a victory for the Democratic Party in November.

I am watching the debate. Alan Keys is very annoying.

My favorite question and Fred answer. What is the biggest impediment to inproving Education in America? Fred’s answer was the NEA .

I am not the slightest bit suprised Huckabee received the endorsement of the New Hampshire NEA…

If Huckabee gets elected and runs D.C. like he ran Arkansas, he would grant pardons at a record pace and release murderers and rapists from federal prison, he would increase taxes and support open borders….He may even want to quarantine Mormons like the idea he had to quarantine AIDS patients…

23. StevePerkins says:

Ehh… quite frankly, the only GOP candidates who have a PRAYER of winning in November are Rudy and maybe McCain. (the GOP rank-and-file have a love-hate relationship with McCain, but independents generally still like him… and the security trends in Iraq are moving in McCain’s favor.) Given that most Republicans these days are social conservatives (and NOT economic conservatives), I don’t think it’s hypocritical or compromising for the grassroots to migrate around Huckabee rather than a more electable option. My jabs have to do with the timing. The whole “Draft FRED!” summertime effort makes it clear that Huckabee is no one’s first choice in a nominee. He’s just being seen as the lesser of all evils as crunchtime arrives, and everyone realizes that there isn’t going to be a better option because the entire field is terrible.

24. debbie0040 says:

Shep, Huckabee has changes his positions as well. After raising taxes ten times more than Bill Clinton, he signs the no new taxes tax pledge. He now regrets the 1033 criminals he commuted the sentences on or pardoned, he no longer thinks AIDS patients should be quarantined or fast food banned…

25. debbie0040 says:

Huckabee also claimed in the debate to have most impressive record on Education of the candidates.

According To The National Assessment Of Educational Progress, Arkansas Ranked Below Average In All Four Major Criteria

26. Nate says:

This is what I like about Huck.
    1) He is pro-life
    2) He was a governor
    3) He is not afraid to talk about his faith
    4) He is for the FairTax

After that I got nothing. I need more than that

27. debbie0040 says:

But all nine men on the debate stage were on their best behavior in the opening moments of the 90-minute event, and the format offered little or no opportunity for a spirited exchange on immigration or any other issue.

Carolyn Washburn, the editor of The Des Moines Register, presided over a debate that was more like a recitation of long-held positions by the candidates than an attempt to highlight differences.

Former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee was an exception on the question about spending cuts and sacrifice. “We’ve got to spend more for the military as a matter of fact, but we’ve got to look at Social Security and Medicare and do some things that won’t hurt anybody badly,” he said. Thompson, alone among the White House contenders in both parties, has called for steps to reduce the benefits promised to future retirees.

Washburn brought about a mini-revolt at one point when she asked all the candidates to raise their hands if they thought global warming was a serious threat caused by human behavior. “I’m not doing hand shows today,” said Thompson

28. debbie0040 says:

Shep, I think Fred will pull it out. He did great in the debate. To be honest I would be happy with anyone else but Huckabee winning.

Maybe we should buy you the water buckets..

29. Nate says:

Campaign aside, and if you look just at POLICY, Fred Thompson is still the best out of the group. I want to like Huck, I just have to have policy and right now I got nothing. I ask again, someone give me POLICY reasons why I should support Huck.

30. shep1975 says:

No Debbie, you don’t need to buy me a bucket for my candidate…but I may need a shovel and some boots, if you get my drift! ;o)

As I have said in other posts in other threads, Fred has the absolute best policy statements and positions, he just doesn’t have (or appear to have) the drive to actually be President. As I said above, that’s what actually makes me the maddest!

31. Nate says:

Principles over power. I feel we have compromised our principles for power in the GOP. There comes a times where we as a party must pick our ground to die on. I would rather lose standing on my principles. I cannot in good conscience support Huck knowing that his policy stands would be for bigger government, more spending, more taxes and open borders. If someone can give me Policy to the contrary I can change my mind. I need policy, not campaign fluff. Someone give me something, anything.

32. Chris says:

When I listen to Huckabee’s populist rhetoric railing against “Wall Street Fat Cats”, coming out against school choice, and practically begging his state legislature to raise taxes, I can’t help but to wonder if the only difference between the average Edwards supporter and the average Huckabee supporter is that the Huckabee supporter is bigoted against gays and Hispanics.

33. debbie0040 says:

Dear, RightMarch.com Supporter:

Please find below a special message from our friends, the MinutemanHQ. They have some important information to share with you.

Thank you.

============================================= Minuteman Civil Defense Corps Real Minutemen Do Not Endorse Huckabee ============================================= No National Minuteman Group has endorsed Mike Huckabee. One individual Minuteman has personally endorsed him. For the sake of clarity, it is important to note that the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps (MCDC), the nation’s largest Minuteman organization, is a 501(C)4 non-profit organization and cannot and does not endorse any candidate for public office. MCDC is not associated with Mr. Jim Gilchrist, who today endorsed Mike Huckabee for president. Jim Gilchrist’s erstwhile Minuteman Project is itself an organization which by its own representations as a non-profit civic group cannot legally endorse candidates. It does not have any volunteers who observe illegal border activity. It has no border fence building projects. Jim Gilchrist here speaks only for Jim Gilchrist, he does not speak for the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, nor is he nationally representative of most patriots in the “Minuteman movement” – who under no circumstances could ignore the failed record nor endorse the duplicitous “plan” recently rolled out by candidate Mike Huckabee. The national media needs to recognize that Jim Gilchrist’s endorsement is his own personal statement, nothing more.

34. GOPeach says:

Okay Bill –

Home Schoolers do not use school vouchers!!! 🙂

Most Home Schoolers are NOT Soccer Moms either!!! You have 2 groups thoroughly confused with each other.

You have much to learn about family life ( so I hear).

35. Rick Day says:

George Bush, The Great Uniter. (applause)

Watching this splintering of the GOP is almost worth the destruction of the country you all beget.

You guys have no idea how much someone like me who has been screaming for 19 years about how the slime known as BushCo ™ snotting the country; no idea at all how much I am enjoying this.

And with the election of Hillary/Barak, the destruction you wrought will be complete.

36. IndyInjun says:

Nate:

There is a principled candidate who is as consistent as you want and his name is Ron Paul.

He will initiate withdrawal from Iraq but not more rapidly than the generals tell him and they say 2 years.

2 years and 11 months is quite sufficient to conclude the Iraq adventure.

37. Bill Simon says:

Scrub,

Steve forgot to mention that while Clinton didn’t “do too much bad stuff,” THAT was due mostly to having an obstinate GOP control the House of Representatives for 6 of his 8 years in office.

Had the Dems controlled the House and the Senate, all that stuff Hillary and Bill wanted to do would have gotten done, and gotten done worse.

People need to stop looking at Bill Clinton as a “lone” policymaker.

38. Bill Simon says:

Oh, wait, wait…my apologies…I didn’t mean to include quotation marks as though Steve said that word-for-word. I just mean that what was in quotation marks was the summary in a nutshell of what Perkins said.

39. GOPeach says:

Bill –

HOME SCHOOLERS are not SOCCER Kids!!!!
    You have absolutely NO CLUE what the hell you are talking about.

“Soccer Moms” used to be little yuppie women who were “kept up” by their little hubbies –

Now they are primarily all HISPANIC!!!!
    T

40. GOPeach says:

Chris –

Huckabee supporters are unaware that there are any gay Hispanics. Most of them seem to really like getting Hispanic women pregnant! 🙂

41. GOPeach says:

Steve-

I haver NEVER gated Bill Clinton or Hillary. In fact, I think that if I knew them, we would probably have a lot in common as I am closer to their age than someone like Obama.

I relate to the hippie culture and I remember the feeling and the logic during those days. I have every LP Joan Biaz and Country Joe and the Fish made. Believe it or not, I have even had several social times with Ted Turner and Jane Fonda…
    I have not been GOPeach forever ….

I actually have lots of dear friends who lean to the left. My son is a democrat because he is a ” vox publius vox dei” … and I can buy that as long and the ” the people have personal responsibility. I hear lots of these ideas in Ron Paul actually. That is why I love him.

I would love to cut and paste ” the perfect platform” !

42. Scrub_Oak says:

Fair enough, Bill Simon. However, it appears that too few American voters remember Newt Gingrich and the GOP at that time as anything more than intractable, quarrelsome partisans as you seem to. Clinton and Co. might very well have sailed off the deep end without a tenacious Congress to check them, but at the end of the day, his administration comes out ahead of both that Congress and the present administration.

As noted many times around here in the recent past, the GOP candidates cannot argue nuanced positions about how theirs would be different from the GWB administration and expect that approach to make any progress with a significant non-party crowd.

43. debbie0040 says:

GOPeach // Dec 12, 2007 at 8:56 pm

Debbie-

Do you have some deep rooted issue with Baptist Ministers?

No, Peach I don’t. My Father is a retired Baptist Minister. He preached for over 35 years..

I have an issue with a Baptist Minister that lies or misrepresents his record like Huckabee does.

44. GOPeach says:

FORMER HUCKABEE AIDE DENOUNCES HUFFPO DISTORTION;
    Corroborates Huckabee Account of Disputed Meeting:

“He was not trying to influence the Board”

A report on the left-wing blog, The Huffington Post makes allegations against Republican Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee that are inaccurate and distort the truth. According to the HuffPo article, Olan W. “Butch” Reeves, a former senior aide of former Governor Mike Huckabee, “directly contradicts” the Governor’s account of a meeting between himself and the Arkansas state parole board that took place on October 31, 1996.

In fact, Mr. Reeves completely corrobates Mr. Huckabee’s account of the meeting.

As background to the controversy, in 1985, Wayne DuMond was convicted of raping Ashley Stephens and was sentenced to life in prison. Subsequently, in 1992 then-Governor of Arkansas, Jim Guy Tucker granted executive clemency for DuMond which commuted his sentence to 39.5 years. This act made DuMond immediately eligible for parole.

In 1996, Mike Huckabee became Governor of Arkansas. That August the Post Prison Transfer Board reviewed a request for a pardon from DuMond and decided to recommend to the Governor that the request had “no merit.” That decision was sent to the Governor. The Board’s decision is a recommendation and not binding on the Governor.

When the Governor received the file with the recommendation from the Board, his review of the case led him to issue an “intent to grant” the clemency. There then followed a mandatory period for the Governor to receive comments from the public. The DuMond case was very controversial and the Governor received many comments, both supporting and opposing his consideration of a pardon.

During this time period, the Board – which was composed entirely of Democrats appointed either by Bill Clinton, or Jim Guy Tucker — issued an invitation to the new Republican Governor to come to a meeting to become acquainted and discuss his philosophy of clemency.

Please note a crucial distinction: clemency (or pardon) is separate and distinct from parole. Only the Governor can grant clemency or pardon; the Parole Board reviews and grants parole. The Governor is not involved in parole decisions.

It is this October ’96 meeting which is now the focus of attention. One of the Board members, Charles Chastain, is now alleging publicly that the Governor used that meeting to pressure the Board to grant DuMond parole.

In fact, just the opposite is true: Mr. Chastain attempted to dissuade Governor Huckabee from his intent to grant clemency to DuMond.

“They are saying that the Governor was trying to persuade them to grant parole,” said Reeves, “it was the other way around, they were trying to persuade him not to grant clemency.”

At the time Mr. Reeves served as chief counsel to the Governor and attended the October meeting with Governor Huckabee in his official capacity.

Mr. Reeves asserts categorically that parole for DuMond was “never mentioned” during the meeting. (“I told this guy [Waas], that’s not why we had that meeting.”) The quotes attributed to Reeves in The Huffington Post article, authored by Murray Waas, all relate to a conversation which was about Governor Huckabee’s stated intention to grant DuMond clemency.

This is a very simple distinction that Waas fails to make. The context of the discussion that occurred – and Governor Huckabee has not denied that a discussion occurred – was the question of whether or not Governor Huckabee would grant clemency, not whether or not the Board would grant parole. The Board’s decision had already been made and their recommendation was already on the Governor’s desk.

In the midst of a general discussion about the Governor’s general philosophy related to clemency, one of the Board members asked the Governor about the DuMond case and his intention to grant clemency (which was public knowledge due to the notice of intent.)

The Governor responded by stating that he believed the facts warranted his decision to initiate a notice of intent. As has been reported, he added that he believed DuMond had gotten a bad deal from the justice system. (This goes to the stated purpose of the meeting which was for the Governor to communicate to the Board his clemency philosophy.) Note that this does parallel the quotes attributed to Reeves by Waas in the Huffington Post:

“But, according to Reeves, Huckabee actually told the parole board members that the prison sentence meted out to Dumond for his rape conviction was “outlandish” and “way out of bounds for his crime.”

Again, the Governor made these comments to explain his position on the clemency request, not to persuade the Board to grant parole. The Board had already decided against parole. “Parole was not an issue; it didn’t come up,” said Reeves.

In response to the Governor’s explanation of why he intended to grant DuMond clemency, Chastain then stated why he was against it. The Governor, according to Reeves replied, “Well, okay, it’s a difference of opinion.” And the discussion ended.

The Huffington Post article asserts that the Reeves account contradicts the Governor’s version when, in fact, everything Mr. Reeves describes corroborates Governor Huckabee’s statement on the issue, as quoted by Waas:

“This stands in stark contrast to Huckabee’s assertion, repeated at a press conference today that he “did not ask [the board] to do anything.” When asked directly about trying to influence the board, Huckabee responded: “No. I did not. Let me categorically say that I did not.”
    “He never mentioned parole at that meeting,” says Mr. Reeves. “The Governor was talking about clemency.”

On January 16, 1997 the Board took up a reconsideration of DuMond’s parole request and voted to grant parole with the stipulation that DuMond be paroled out of state.

The vote was as follows:
    4 members voted yes. LeRoy Brownlee, Chairman; Fred Allen, Jr.; Ermer Poindexter; Railey Steele;
    1 voted no. Dr. Charles Chastain.
    There were 2 abstentions. Deborah Suttler and August Pieroni.

That same afternoon the Governor denied the clemency request. He sent a letter to DuMond that has been widely reported saying, (excerpted):
    “Dear Wayne, I have reviewed your applications for executive clemency, specifically a commutation and/or pardon. … My desire is that you be released from prison. I feel now that parole is the best way for your reintegration into society. … Therefore, after careful consideration … I have denied your applications.”
    The Governor’s approach to the DuMond case has been consistent. As he expressed in the letter, he did believe that DuMond should be released from prison. However, he denied clemency/pardon FOUR TIMES. Even after the Board granted parole with the out-of-state stipulation, Governor Huckabee denied two subsequent clemency requests. DuMond could not find a state which would take him, so he remained in prison for TWO MORE YEARS. It was during this time that the Governor continued to deny him clemency.

If the Governor was actively seeking to release DuMond, he could have easily done so by granting him clemency. He did not do so.

Finally, September 16, 1999 the Board, during a regular progress report on DuMond, dropped the out-of state condition for parole. The Governor took no action to promote this decision and did not know it was coming.

In October of that year, DuMond was released.

45. GOPeach says:

Governor Huckabee was asked if he had pressured the parole board to release Dumond.

Governor Huckabee: No. I did not. Let me categorically say that I did not. And it’s really interesting, if people want to really look into that record. Here’s the chronology, and here’s the timeline. I’m going to try to do it as briefly as I can, because it’s been delved into repeatedly, normally during an election year.

In 1992, Bill Clinton was governor; Jim Guy Tucker was Lieutenant Governor. And during Bill Clinton’s governorship, while he was campaigning for president, Jim Guy Tucker signed the papers to commute the sentence of Wayne DuMond to parole eligibility. That’s what made him parole eligible in 1992. He had been convicted of rape in Forest City Arkansas, during time of awaiting trial, he was hogtied and castrated; his testicles were later placed in a jar on the desk of a sherriff.

It was a brutal, amazingly, just, complicated case. There were all kinds of questions about the case. Many stories were written; I am sure you can Google all the way back to the 1980s and get more information than you even want on the case. For reasons Bill Clinton and Jim Guy Tucker would have to answer, not me, the sentence was commuted in 1992.

I was not elected to anything at that time; I was a candidate for the United States Senate. I was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1993; in 1996, Wayne DuMond had requested another commutation for time served because the parole board had not granted parole even though he was parole eligible.

Let me make it clear, governors in Arkansas cannot parole anybody. The parole process is separated from governor; the governor can commute a sentence to make it parole eligible. The actual parole is handled completely separate from the governor. Jim Guy Tucker had been convicted of Whitewater related felonies, he resigned. When I came into office in July, the file of Wayne DuMond was on my desk and was transferred to me having been sat there for several months prior to my coming of office.

That request for commutation to time served awaited me. I originally considered it, indicated even an intention I that might grant it. There was and incredible outcry over that, I ultimately requested to deny it. Primarily for the reason I believed there needed to be some supervision; I was not completely confident that it would be appropriate for him to get out without supervision. He had a unblemished prison record – an exemplary record in terms of getting along as an inmate. He had met all the qualifications for being paroled, including having a job lined up, a sponsor with a church I think in Houston, TX, originally.

I chose ultimately not to pardon him. I made a visit to the parole board early in my tenure as a governor at the request of chairman, because you gotta remember, every member of that parole board had been appointed by Jim Guy Tucker or Bill Clinton. Not one of them appointed by me. I’m a new Republican governor, they’d never seen one. I think they had real concern on how to interrelate or how to relate to me. And what kind of attitude I had in general to crime, attitude, parole, etc. So at their invitation, I went to the meeting; someone brought up this case.

Frankly, it was simply part of a broader discussion; I did not ask them to do anything. I did indicate it was sitting at my desk; and I was giving thought to it. But this was probably in, I’m thinking maybe September or October when that meeting was held; I can’t remember exactly. The parole board, the following year, early 97 approved his parole plan after I had denied the further commutation.

Subsequent to that, he

46. debbie0040 says:

Peach, everything coming out on Huckabee now is something the Democrats will bring out and much more if he is the GOP nominee. These things are public knowledge and not secret.

If you think things are tough now , what do you think the Democrats will do?

47. GOPeach says:

Debbie,

I think the fact that Gov. Huckabee has kept a slow and steady pace will prove favorable.

I think it is a pretty harsh thing to call anyone A LIAR especially a fellow Christian. That may not set well with you as you can separate your heart from your head. I just would be really careful not to cross the line of slander.

You can state your findings and your research without personally attacking someone like your Father, a Baptist Minister… just be careful as all I am saying.

48. SFrazier says:

Huckabee is the best candidate in my 22 year old lifetime. Fair Tax rocks. Mormonism is definetely a cult, no doubt dude.

49. Jace Walden says:

Let’s throw something else out there too…

Huckabee hasn’t been a preacher since at least 1992 when he ran for Senate. He became a politician.

Currently, Huckabee is NOT a Baptist preacher, he is Republican (allegedly) politician.

50. GOPeach says:

Doug-

I am so NOT worried about OBAMA ot HILARY-
    Neither one has a snowball’s chance in hell –

I hate to sound like a bigot because God knows I am a woman and my grandkids are black – ( bi-racial angels)…

But not even somelike ME will vote for a PINKO COMEE like these 2. They better be glad John Edwards is trailing….

HE would be a PROBLEM!!! He is so cute.
    Hard to resist – 🙂

51. TrueConservative says:

Huckabee has an important message, because it is in tune with fiscal conservatives (fair tax) and social conservatives (marriage and pro-life issues).
    Couple that with an unsurpassed ability to stand out rhetorically with each passing debate, and you have a winning candidate, not a counterpoint to Hillary.

52. IndyInjun says:

Fiscal conservatives have investigated the Fair???tax and found it to be a joke.

If he has a ‘message’ it is one of subterfuge to cover the corruption that emanates from him.

If there is anything unsurpassed, it is in Taxabee’s contempt for thinking Americans formerly in the Republican Party. He won’t bring us back and with the socialist base he has, he won’t be winning the Presidency.