The Hits Just Keep on Coming…

As if dealing with the embarassment of the Michael Vick saga and getting throttled game after game by virtually the entire NFL wasn’t enough, now Arthur Blank is going to have to find a new headcoach:

Bobby Petrino will resign his position as coach of the Atlanta Falcons and is close to an agreement to become the new coach at the University of Arkansas, multiple sources tell ESPN.

According to sources, Petrino and his agent have been talking with the Falcons about his preference to return to the college ranks. The former Louisville coach was looking for an opportunity to break into the Southeastern Conference ranks, and Arkansas was a natural fit.

1. Icarus says:

As I said in another thread, I’m pretty sure the “saggy pants” ban was the last straw for Petrino.

That said, he’s a professional resume whore. He’s always looking for his next job, and this should be a surprise to no one. What’s the over under for his stay at Arkansas? I’ll give it 3 seasons, but I think I’m being overly generous there.

2. ToddH says:

What a bum! I knew he would pull a Saban, though Saban at least finished the season. Petrino was out of his depth and was seemed lost on his coaching decisions, as if he had no idea what to do. Another big name college coach unable to make it in the big leagues like Spurrier and Saban.

3. TPSoCal says:

Well, you know his punishment for being such a jerk is to actually have to live in Arkansas. A fate worse than death as far as I am concerned.

4. Dave says:

He’s a Not Ready for Prime Time Player. Go back to the minor leagues, boy. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

5. Icarus says:

DrJay,

My Daddy always told me, if you marry a whore, don’t be surprised when she sleeps with somebody else.

Hadn’t Petrino just signed a new contract with Louisville just before he accepted the Falcons gig? And wasn’t his excuse that he had always wanted to coach in the NFL? And this week, he’s always wanted to coach in the SEC? I wonder what he’s going to tell Arkansas, if he can find someone dumb enough to hire him away from there?

6. AubieTurtle says:

If he doesn’t produce at Arkansas (and he probably won’t), in a few years he’s going to tell everyone how he always dreamed of coaching Arena League Football.

7. debbie0040 says:

Arkansas had to go after a big name like Petrino after the fiasco with Auburn’s Tubberville. The funny thing is the Auburn people were talking about Petrino if Tubberville accepted the Arkansas job.

It is like Spurrier said one time, You dream of coaching in the NFL one day and when you get there you find it is not the dream you thought it was.

Petrino was not cut out to coach in the NFL. Neither was Spurrier or Saban… Who wants to have to coddle a bunch of spoiled babies?

In college the coach has more control. The players do their best to please the coach so they will get playing time so they can play in the NFL. In the NFL, the players don’t show up for training camp…

8. Icarus says:

Could I do worse? Really?

I’ll even let Mr. Blank pay me only when the team wins. Take Petrino’s $5Million Falcons salary, divide it by 16, that’s $312,500 per game.

I’ll coach the Falcons for $300,000 per victory. Blank only pays me more than Petrino if the Falcons record matches the Patriots of this year, and we win at least one playoff game.

If I only do as good as Petrino, I only get $900,000, and a head coaching position next year (Notre Dame should be open by then) for about $3-4 Million a year.

And yes, I’d love to coach Notre Dame for a few seasons. I’d make sure Charlie Weiss looked like a genius. 🙂

9. TPSoCal says:

Icarus,

At least we can agree on Notre Dame. If you became coach at Notre Dame, I would love to get season tickets just for the joy of watching Irish fans curse the days they were born. The cries of miserable Notre Dame fans is like the songs of angels to my ears.

10. jsm says:

I can’t blame Petrino. After all he’s been through with the Vick stupidity and having to coddle the overpaid, ego-inflated whiners that think their lives-playing a game-are worth infinite respect, he was looking for a place to make himself useful.

Players who will not respect the authority of the coach, whose job is to direct the team, deserve the position the Falcons players are in.

Maybe they’ll keep Chan in town for another few years of mediocrity, just at the next level.

11. StevePerkins says:

I’m not going to defend EVERY thug in the NFL, but respect cuts both ways. I’m not exactly Joey Harrington’s #1 fan, but the manner in which Petrino benched Herrington made me lose all respect for him as a coach. For a quarterback to find out he’s been benched from the media DURING A PRESS CONFERENCE, rather than face-to-face from the coach himself, demonstrates a complete absence of class in the team’s leadership.

I agree that Petrino will probably be happier and more successful in an environment where unpaid players are forced to eat sh*t for four years and have no leverage to insist on professionalism from their organizations.

12. Dave says:

Petrino is a two-bit, over-rated punk, liar and a quitter. Why would anybody hire a guy who cannot commit to a job?

13. debbie0040 says:

Anyone else hear that Roger Clemens will be named as one of the players taking steroids when the Mitchell Report is released?

I like clemens

14. Romegaguy says:

Let’s see… Clemens numbers started dropping in the mid 90’s and then suddenly he is bulkier and pitching harder… must have been divine intervention