1. Rogue109 says:

SpaceyG: Now the white students are “stupid,” eh? Typical, coming from you.

Loyalty is spot on with his link to the CSM story. In fact the crude nooses were, as the story says, a prank at their fellow white friends, members of the school rodeo team. But I’m sure SpaceyG also thinks rodeo teams are “stupid,” as well.

2. TPSoCal says:

Great articles. I guess I have been lazy myself in following the story. I just found the whole thing too depressing to follow. I obviously don’t know what truly happended, but I do find the idea of the students not knowing what nooses meant to blacks believable. Today’s students are oblivious to a lot of things that those of us who have been around the block would find shocking. A really good friend of mine is a 7th grade teacher and told me a shocking story yesterday. She was talking to her class and made reference to Schindler’s List. She was met with blank stares. Not one student had ever heard of the movie, much less the story behind it. She was shocked and depressed. Almost as bad as my staff had never heard of ELO, Yaz or Erasure!

3. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

It slips my mind, who was the lead singer of Yaz? ELO kicks ass, I don’t care what anyone says. 😉

Anyway, growing up in New England, I too never knew about the significance of the noose until I was in my 20s and was reading about a discrimination case involving an unfair firing and nooses being tied around the workplace.

4. Doug Deal says:

Rogue,

SpaceyG putting someone, particularly southern down? /shocked-face

Everyone,
    Throughout history, 99.999% of people have been hung for something other than intimidation. When I think of hanging, I think of hanging for murder and horse thievery in the old west, hanging American Patriots for treason by the British, hanging for piracy and for witchcraft. The image that is never evoked unless prompted by “outraged race lords” is anything to do with slavery, Jim Crow Laws or the Klan.

What ever happened to something that was widely taught in my youth “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me”. Let

5. Bill Arp says:

You cannot have it both ways…when african americans want to weat baggy pants its freedom of speech and when whites wanna hang nooses from tree it must be the same. Although nooses from tree may incite extreme racial emotions, try being white and getting held up by an african american with baggy pants. Its a form of speech…and that is protected by our first amendment.

6. rugby_fan says:

Bill:

You are comparing two totally different things.

Hanging a noose as a way to send a subtle racist message, or even a non racial threat, can not be compared to someone wearing ill fitting clothes.

And I am not sure who feels that getting robbed by anyone with baggy clothes is a form of speech that can be protected.

7. GodHatesTrash says:

Well, Jena is in Loseriana, but racist redneck wannabe lynchmobbers are everywhere in Dicksea.

Especially Georgia.

8. Rogue109 says:

Romegaguy, actually, it’s not even a story from an unknown Georgia based media outlet. If you look at the bottom of the column, it says: “This article appears on the Atlanta Story with permission from American Renaissance. For more AR articles, visit their website at http://www.amren.com.”

American Renaissance is a VIRGINIA based magazine that has been in publication since the early 90’s, evidently.

Another success for the great SpaceyG!

9. Romegaguy says:

maybe Atlanta Story could investigate why Paul Broun hasnt been sworn in… or ask American Renaissance to do it so that they can run the story later

10. Bill Arp says:

Rugbag fan:
    What the noose means is not protected by the 1st amendment, but the speech is protected. The same reason I can write what I am saying right here is protected by the same amendment. Don’t try and start censoring people because you do not like what they are saying…..
    However much I hate seeing the cracks of thugs throughout georgia (in baggy pants, busting slack) dress can often be seen as a sign of speech. Thats why we can only regulate it under the guise of a regulation of health, safety and welfare when students are at school and not when they are dressing as trannys on Piedmont…..

John