LNC urges Ron Paul to seek nomination

The Libertarian National Committee has adopted a resolution that invites Ron Paul to seek the LP presidential nomination.

The resolution states:

In the event that Republican primary voters select a candidate other than Congressman Paul in February of 2008, the Libertarian National Committee invites Congressman Ron Paul to seek the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party to be decided in Denver, Colorado during the Memorial Day weekend of 2008.

Dr. Paul has said on many occasions that he has no plans to run a third party or independent campaign and there is no reason to not accept his word, but you have to wonder.

Oh…the connection to Georgia politics is that Bob Barr made the motion to accept the resolution.

By the way, if Dr. Paul did seek the nomination, there is no doubt in my mind that he’d get it.

[UPDATE] That was fast, he already turned it down:

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul turned down a Libertarian Party invitation on Sunday that could have kept him in the 2008 presidential race even if his long-shot bid for the GOP nomination fails.

At a meeting in Charleston, S.C., the Libertarian National Committee on Sunday unanimously approved a resolution praising the Lake Jackson congressman for igniting “a renewed passion for liberty across America.”
[…]
The Barr resolution urged Paul to seek the Libertarian Party nomination that will be awarded at the party’s May national convention in Denver.

But Paul spokesman Jesse Benton said it would not happen.

“Ron has no intention to run third party whatsoever,” he said

1. John Konop says:

Is Ron Paul Right and McCain Wrong on the Military?

Bush loses ground with military families

LAT-Families with ties to the military, long a reliable source of support for wartime presidents, disapprove of President Bush and his handling of the war in Iraq, with a majority concluding the invasion was not worth it, a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll has found.

The views of the military community, which includes active-duty service members, veterans and their family members, mirror those of the overall adult population, a sign that the strong military endorsement that the administration often pointed to has dwindled in the war

2. StevePerkins says:

Wow, that’s a nice slap in the face to the LP’s own candidates. That’s especially true considering that the national party is pimping out a program where the candidates get publicity on the national website in proportion to the amount of money they raise for the party (APART from funds they raise for their own campaigns). If I were an LP candidate, I’m be PISSED right about now.

Giving Ron Paul access to the LP’s Ballot Base database for the New Hampshire primary also raises my eyebrows. Granted, it’s RON PAUL… but still, issuing a quasi-endorsement and loaning your resources to the candidate of another party seems questionable at best. This seems like Green Party nonsense to me… we’re “sorta” going to run our own candidate, while “sorta” endorsing Nader. Neither effort turned out too well for those guys.

If there were ANY possibility of Ron Paul biting, then I could MAYBE understand this. However, “small-L” libertarian or not, the guy’s been a “big-R” Republican for decades now… and has made it clear that returning to Congress as a Republican is his backup plan. This all seems like a very misguided publicity stunt to me.

3. Hank Reardan says:

Steve
    I know George Phillies (LP Presidential candidate) is pissed. I am getting his permission to post his thoughts that he has emailed out to his volunteers.

4. rugby_fan says:

I know the in the GA LP’s newsletter, the chair has said they can’t endorse anyone other than the LNP nominee then said something like Ron Paul is a friend.

It was all but an actual endorsement.

5. Chris says:

Bold Move on the LNC’s part. I wonder if this was done to rile up the LP’s kook-caucus in a further effort to drive them out.

If so, Kudos to Congressman Barr. If he can manage to give the LP a modicum of respectability they will be able to give the GOP a run for its money in the next few years. Especially if the GOP nominates a big-government liberal like Huckabee.

6. StevePerkins says:

I’m all for the moderate wing holding greater sway, I’m just a bit uneasy about it being through a top-down approach. I expect to see clashes between “the establishment” and “the grassroots” in the GOP (e.g. Paul Broun as a prime example). However, the LP is so small that such games seem a bit silly to me. I would love a “Draft Paul” drive coming from the grassroots up (even if it couldn’t work)… I’m just a little apprehensive about it coming from the top-level down.

We agree on one point, though… if it weakens the internal clout of the radicals vs. the pragmatists, I’ll be happy about that.

7. Ms_midtown says:

Ron Paul does more for his cause by getting air time ( which would include main stream media interviews during the RNC convention, including podium time, even if it was at 6 PM EST ) than he would by breaking his word to be LNC nominee. Once he goes LNC the media coverage will go dry as north Georgia.