1. IndyInjun says:

The way this GREAT ‘plan’ is evolving seems to be via scribblings on cocktail napkins.

Ben Harbin lost his when he jousted with a telephone pole and lost.

Don Quixote did not have to worry about the dangers of creosote nor a GREAT tax on his lance.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

It’s just one huge shell game….unbelieveble. Maybe we could just call it the SHELL Plan…but I’m too hung over to think of an acronym that fits “SHELL”

3. dorian says:

I’d take the Don Quixote analogy a little further there Indy. Seems like they’re tilting at windmills to me.

4. Chris says:

I suspect this plan will be like the PATRIOT Act or last years budget. It will get dropped on everyone’s desks at about 7pm on Sine Die with a vote to be held an hour later.

5. BobG says:

Local officials have complained about their loss of control over revenue sources with the GREAT Plan. My problem is MY loss of control over my local officials.

With a consumption tax administered by the state, no longer will my city council members, county commissioners and school board members have to come to ME for more money (through the budget process, etc.). If I (read `the taxpayers`) don’t control the pursestrings, we don’t control our elected officials.

I note that the phase-in of GREAT includes limits on assessments and spending. While nobody wants its government to spend more than necessary, arbitrary limits on spending is a disaster waiting to happen for local government. Further, I can prove mathematically that limits on assessments actually cause HIGHER tax rates.

There is a way to promote honesty and transparency in the property tax system, ensuring that as values go up the tax rate must go down (as long as officials are fiscally responsible). Visit http://www.MillageRate.com for an explanation.

6. Ms_midtown says:

Bob G, you’re right.
    How can the state cap local spending at 1%?
    We have some of the fastest growing counties in the country. Counties would just fall into the habit of spending 1% more each year, rather than budget on needs of the county

7. Still Looking says:

If citizens don’t like their taxes, they can vote out their elected officials. We don’t need gimmicks, and we don’t need the State sticking their nose in places it doesn’t belong.

8. IndyInjun says:

What is needed are folks like me who are FRUGAL.

I drive a cheap car and I know how to say “NO.”

And I never get tired of it when my money, or my client’s money, is on the line.

Alas, Georgians do not want FRUGAL people in office, because they vote for MORE SPENDING every time.

9. Dave says:

Absolutely, Injun. All those who will promise to really cut spending and not “replace” the lost money will never be elected and that’s a real shame. We have become a nation of parasites who want more and more but don’t want to pay for it with our own money. I’d almost give anything to hear and “leader” tell us that we’re going to cut spending, eliminate social program after social program and slice spending down to the bare minimum for national defense and infrastructure. Of course, that individual would never get more than a few votes because of the sickening, sorry nation of collectivists we’ve become.

10. IndyInjun says:

Dave,

Dr. Paul is our man and he us uniting folks in ways I have never seen. He even has the gumption to take on Social Security reform and let the youngsters out.

About the only ones in his league in DC as far as being frugal goes are Jim Demint and Tom Coburn.

11. IndyInjun says:

Harry,

Pence and the Republican Study Group are the folks we must look to. (Pence showed a trace of weakness on illegal immigration though and I do not like his head-over-heels support of Israel.)

12. IndyInjun says:

Holly,

Yup, a keeper for sure. Flake has a streak of really great independence.

What I really like about the GREAT plan is that it has forced the laughable “FAIR????TAX” apologists to actually THINK what a broad sales tax really means and most of them don’t like what they learned.