A spike in the price of staples.

This one will hit my household as my wife sets into her holiday routine of preparing copious amounts of candies, cookies, and other treats. Christy turns out amazing stuff from our kitchen in large amounts every Christmas season.

The price of holiday baking staples – like sugar, eggs, milk and cream – have risen noticeably this year, according to local bakers and the American Farm Bureau. The rising price of corn, due to ethanol production, and the fuel used to transport goods have driven up prices as much as 30 percent in some cases.

This year we have my sister to thank for a turtle recipe and we have a large, expensive bag of pecans to throw in the mix. And there is the good news.

1. Donkey Kong says:

*Ahem.* I think we need a great Peach Pundit cookoff.

I do think its time for another PP get together at some point this Christmas season, with festivities such as spiked eggnog (a festivity in and of itself) and a Ron Paul pinata filled with “worthless unconstitutional” dollar bills.

2. Chris says:

DK, you going to donate the worthless fiat currency to stuff the pinata with?

I agree we need another PP gathering.

3. Donkey Kong says:

Chris,

I’m hoping the Ronulans will fork it up. If it’s really that worthless, let them put their unconstitutional money where their mouth is. I’ll happily reimburse them with unconstitutional monopoly money.

4. Donkey Kong says:

Rugby,

Tough game on Sat. I have always pulled for FSU except when they play Georgia.

My God do I hate Florida.

Just remind any of those pesky jort wearing rednecks that Spurrier never beat FSU at Doak Campbell, while Bowden beat UF (I think) twice in the Swamp in the Spurrier era.

5. drjay says:

what does this have to do w/ staples–try finding them online or use paper clips that can be reused or just taping stuff together instead

6. Jmac says:

Is there an ‘I hate Ohio State’ bandwagon too?

Primarily because its alumni insist on inserting ‘The’ before it, which is annoying.

7. rugby_fan says:

And Jmac:

You are only allowed to join a bandwagon if you are on the Swear in Paul Broun Bandwagon.

I hope you want your congressman elect to be sworn in…

8. ToddH says:

Now that I’m thinking about pecans, Mascot down in Glennville, GA makes the best chocolate covered pecans in the multiverse.

9. Donkey Kong says:

Rick,

Suggestion equally good.

No, It’s Ronulan. AKA Ron Paul supporters ;-). Wish I could claim originality on that brilliant label.

Rugby,
    I went to a good number of games back when Richt was still at FSU–my brother went to school there which made it much easier for me to visit. Unfortunately, haven’t been back since.

I’ll join you on the bandwagon against Miami, but ND is a good ol’ fashioned American football team. No need to denigrate those boys. They denigrated themselves this year. Don’t worry, Rugby, they’ll be back.

10. rugby_fan says:

Donkey Kong:

Clearly the papal blessing fell on Boston College this year, forcing the Irish to suffer.

Shan’t be long before Pope Benny realizes you must bestow good will upon Notre Dame.

ToddH:

Why the hatred of FSU? Is it that we have won a championship in the last generation?