1. Icarus says:

And the ACC turmoil continues with Duke also firing it’s head coach.

It’s pretty bad when even Duke feels it’s embarassing to lose to Notre Dame. (A team Gailey was able to defeat, along with 8 other coaches this season)

2. I take no delight in Gailey’s firing. I really wished it had worked out for him at Tech. He’s a classy, honorable man. Nevertheless Tech is stuck in the 7-8 wins per year realm and we need someone to move us to the next level.

I see no reason Tech can’t challenge for the ACC title most years and beat UGA 4-5 time out of ten. I’m sure you UGA fans will laugh at the thought of Tech competing with the omnipotent bulldogs, but it used to happen and there’s no reason it can’t happen again.

3. Icarus says:

Buzz,

I think the reason those goals are lofty is the administration above the head coach. I had a couple of friends that worked in the Tech athletic department under O’Leary. When he left, most of the academic support functions for student athletes were eliminated. A year or two later, you had an ungodly number of athletes academically ineligible, and everyone was surprised.

Braine liked to think that student athletes didn’t need any special help. If that attitude hasn’t changed, your program has peaked.

4. Brian Laurens says:

bout time, good riddance.

I hear Radokovich (Right a Check) might be going back to LSU though. Anyone hear anything similar?

5. jsm says:

I’m sick of hearing all the crap about Tech not being a ‘football school’ because of its academic rigor. A national championship in 1990 tells me different.

People who give excuses for inconsistency and poor performance are doomed to dwell in mediocrity. We must move on and hire a coach who will build a top-10 program. It can be done.

Goodbye, Chan. Thanks for giving it a shot, but you failed to achieve your stated goals (beating Ugag and winning the ACC). We want a winner.

6. But Braine is gone, Radakovich understands what’s necessary to have a top flight athletic program, and Dr. Clough doesn’t want to be hauled in front of the NCAA infractions committee again.

7. Jace Walden says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Buzz, I NEVER said UGA was as tought academically as Georgia Tech. I don’t know who said that.

Let’s face facts though, when it comes to most Division I college football players, the “academic standards” are fairly level across the board.

Tech should be a good football school, Buzz. But they have been mired in mediocrity as of late. It happens to every program ever so often. But seriously, I think Tech just got rid of its biggest problem today.

8. GabrielSterling says:

I think they should hire Reggie Ball as their coach.

I agree with Jace, Tech just got rid of their biggest problem. However, hiring a high end coach this year is going to be difficult with all of the programs that are out looking and I expect more will be soon.

9. CobbGOPer says:

Maybe Georgia isn’t as tough as Tech academically, but I don’t see Tech sporting two Rhodes Scholars this year… UGA was one of only like 6 or 7 institutes in the country (including Harvard and a couple other Ivies) with two Rhodes Scholars out of the 50-some odd scholarships that were handed out in the US this year…

10. Jeff Emanuel says:

The early rumor is that Tech will be pushing hard for Paul Johnson, the former coach of Ga Southern and current coach of Navy. Nebraska, though, will probably also be looking at him, as his wing-t/spread option offense has got to be appealing to the run-firsters in Huskerland.

11. Bill Simon says:

The “Rhodes Scholarship” has been devalued for a long time. It’s worth about as much on the street as a President who graduated from Yale and Harvard. Yawwwnnnnnn….