Georgia vs. Georgia Tech Open Thread [Updated]

[Bumped by Jeff for Gameday]

Since Erick’s blogging is going to be light for the next couple of days, I offer this thread as a departure from the daily grind of talking about Snuggles, the GlennTax, Drought and Oprah. This Saturday, one of the greatest rivalries in College Football will take place.

In one corner, we have the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Unranked. Seven wins and four losses overall. And sporting an abysmal 4-4 conference record in what is the 2nd worst BCS conference this year. They have a coach whose job is in jeopardy, and the team is coming off an emotional last-minute win against 77th ranked North Carolina.

In the other corner, we have the Georgia Bulldogs. Ranked 7th overall in the BCS, at 9-2 the Bulldogs are playing for an at-large BCS bid, a shot at LSU in the SEC title game, and possibly even a birth in the BCS Championship game. Coming off Marquee wins against Florida, Auburn and Kentucky and Dawgs are poised to lay the wood to an inconsistent Georgia Tech team.

If you were to cover up the names of the teams, you would have to assume that the team with Georgia’s resume would be favored by at least 1o points. Yet the odds-makers in Vegas have only given the Dawgs a 3.5 point advantage going into Bobby Dodd Stadium. This begs the question, do they know something we don’t? As some have speculated, perhaps the odds-makers want people to bet on Georgia because they think Georgia is going to lose…?

As is typically the case with rivalry games, the team with the most to lose usually does.

My Prediction: Dawgs 34, Jackets 10 [UPDATE] After being reminded by Buzz about that “real” Tech defense, I had to alter my prediction: Dawgs 44, Jackets 10

Go Dawgs!

1. rugby_fan says:

We all know that Florida (the university and state) has one rivalry that matters in football.

And the game does not have “World’s” or “Largest” or “Cocktail” in its title.

That game is being played this weekend.

Before anyone wants to say that FSU and Florida is not as big as UGA and UF, let me just say, with all due respect, cut the crap.

No one game has had greater national championship ramifications the the past 20 years than that one.

UGA and Florida barely makes the slightest difference in the hunt for a national championship.

Oh, and FSU wins big this year.

2. Jace Walden says:

Rugby,

I agree, FSU vs. Florida is also one of the greatest Rivalries.

I think the best Rivalries are:

Georgia/Florida
    Ohio State/Michigan
    Texas/Oklahoma
    Florida/FSU
    Georgia/Georgia Tech
    USC/UCLA
    Auburn/Alabama

Florida is going to beat FSU this year though.

3. Jace Walden says:

I did forget Army/Navy.

Hey, maybe the Notre Dame/Duke game will become a rivaly if Notre Dame continues to suck. Although, I don’t think they will. Currently, they’re first in overall recruiting for next year. Georgia is second.

4. You UGA fans need to get a grip on reality. There is absolutely no way UGA plays for the National Championship. UGA won’t even make it to the SEC Championship because UT won’t lose to UK .

I know UGA is the most amazing football team ever in the history of the world but you guys lost to UT and South Carolina, had to kick a field goal to beat Vandy (then danced on their midfield logo – there’s class for ya’) , needed OT to beat a lousy Bama team and still you guys talk about the National Championship. Amazing.

I look forward to Saturday and watching Tech introduce Knowshon to a real defense. Tech wins going away.

Go Jackets! THWUGA!

5. Jace Walden says:

Buzz,
    I admit that it is a pretty far-fetched possibility, but if you actually read the linked article, you will see that it is; a possibility. It’s a possibility even if we don’t play in the SEC Championship game. Just read it.
    Quit being so Jealous 😉

6. Jace Walden says:

By the way, how did that “Real” defense do against North Carolina (25 points allowed), Maryland (27 points allowed), Boston College (24 points allowed), Duke (24 points allowed), Virginia (28 points allowed), Virginia Tech (27 points allowed)?

But hey, at least you held it down against that Juggernaut Notre Dame offense (which ranks last in total offense in the country), A tough Samford team (/sarcasm), and a shitty Miami team.

The only team of note that the defense actually showed up to play against was Clemson.

Yeah, I can’t wait for you guys to introduce that defense to Knowshon Moreno. 🙂

7. Rick Day says:

Shameless self-promotion plug: If anyone wants to have a group tail-gate party at my old events center (as opposed to the new expansion) located 3 blocks from the stadium, I’ll give a special deal to any interested groups on renting out the Center, if they email me with the code “GAPEACH”.

Park up to 10 securely, 3 bbq grills and kitchen available, room for up to 100. Or more.

My email is on my profile. Go Jack-Dogs!

A Texan, with no dog in this hunt

8. Dawgfan says:

“Tech wins going away”

Buzz PLEASE tell me what it is that you’ve been drinking/smoking/ingesting because it must be fantastic.

Tech getting 3.5 points has got to be the lock of the century. Bet the mortgage, the college fund, and next weeks grocery money.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we hung 40 points on that “Real Defense”

9. Tech has had a disappointing season and it’s likely Chan will get fired. However show me a school other than UGA whose fans claim a running back deserves the Heisman because he strings together five good games and their team might play for the National Championship because they have a few nice wins in a row. I can’t think of one. 🙂

10. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

Georgia actually does have a resonable chance. Not a great one, but one much better than most people give them credit for.

The following are possible scenarios that advance Georgia cause.

LSU loses one of it’s final 2 games
    OK wins the Big 12
    WV loses one of it’s final 2 games

For OSU, 2/3 of those has to happen. For Georgia or ASU, all three would have to happen, and then either ASU or Georgia will go.

The odds of LSU winning out are about 60%. Say 90% chance of beating Arkansas and a 2/3 chance of beating either Tennessee or Georgia.

The odds of WV winning out are about 75%.

The odds of KS or MO winning the Big 12 are about 50-50, as they have to beat OK.

So, taking ASU and Georgia’s hopes as a whole, the combined chances are the losing probabilites of all three events, or (0.4) * (0.5) *(0.25) = 5%. So if Georgia has a 50-50 chance of jumping ASU due to an ASU loss to USC or to just getting help from an SEC-CG victory, it’s a 2.5% chance.

Of course, I might just be saying that to raise the puppies hopes so that the enevitable loss to Georgia Tech is even more crushing when all the other events happen, but they are caught looking past Tech.

11. jsm says:

My heart is with the Jackets, but my intellect says Ugag wins this one by a couple scores. I doubt Knowsho will do much, because Tech has been pretty good against the run and because they’re surely gunning for him. I don’t expect our pass defense to slow Stafford down.

Tashard is the only chance we have. Our air game has been abysmal under Chan, and I don’t see Bennett getting it together for this weekend. We may see Nesbitt a good bit, and he could possibly be the one to help Tashard give us a chance.

Let’s face it. We’re limping right now due to a coach who should have been fired a couple years ago and players who see either a change on the horizon or extended mediocrity. The big-bellied, mullet-adorned Ugag Nation is fired up, and their team’s exhibitions of Richt-mandated excitement will no doubt get the red corner going in BDS.

Barring a miracle, this is the end of another disappointing season for the Jackets. I’m dreading the game, but I’ll stand with the Old Gold and Navy until the bitter end.

Go Jackets.
    Fire Chan Gailey.

12. TPSoCal says:

Oh silly rugby_fan. The Gators are gonna romp in the swamp! As a Florida grad, I agree that we would rather pound the ‘noles than destroy the dawgs, but both are fun.

GO GATORS!!!!!!

Gators 38 ‘noles 24

13. Icarus says:

First off, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Icarus has been away for a while dealing with some melted wax. Anyway,

“Shall we wager blogosphere humiliation should our respective teams lose?”

I’m at least putting a full 16 confidence points on UGA to win and cover the spread in this weeks “College Pickem” game. Normally, I only put 1 point on the dogs, because betting on them seems almost anti religous. But since Buzz is so confident, and he is currently winning, I’ll trust he’s putting his full 16 points on Tech.

(And Rugby, I’m putting 15 on Florida…)

14. Holly says:

Um, I hate to be a nerd, but any good Jackets fan will tell you their colors are white and gold. 🙂

(I grew up in a Tech house, and still love the Jackets, though I graduated from UGA and love the Dawgs, too.)

15. rugby_fan says:

Icarus:

Glad you are back.

I was afraid there for a while, after are, you and I had been leading the “Swear In Paul Broun” movement and you just disappeared.

Thought “they” had kidnapped you to silence the movement.

FSU and UGA win big.

16. GAWire says:

wow, you leghumper fans live in a dream world. BCS championship??? hahahahahahaha. you better hope you don’t make it to the SEC championship game. Just settle for a second tier bowl game, because that’s as good as it’s gonna get for you.

17. I’m a Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer,
    A helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva, hell of an engineer.
    Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my whiskey clear.
    I’m a Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer.

Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I’d dress her in White and Gold,
    And put her on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold.
    But if I had a son, sir, I’ll tell you what he’d do.
    He would yell, “To Hell with Georgia,” like his daddy used to do.

Oh! I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar three thousand pounds,
    A college bell to put it in and a clapper to stir it round.
    I’d drink to all good fellows who come from far and near.
    I’m a ramblin’, gamblin’, hell of an engineer.

18. Jace Walden says:

Wire,

I think for this weekend, we’ll settle for throttling Tech 57-0.

Next weekend, we’ll either start resting or start beating the hell out of LSU, either way it’s fine.

Most experts pick UGA as a BCS at-large birth. Some pick us in the Sugar Bowl. So a “2nd Tier” bowl is probably not going to happen. Sorry to disappoint.

Speaking of 2nd Tier bowls…after we beat you Saturday, Tech will be eligible for the Emerald Bowl! Hey, hey, hey!

19. Jdawg05 says:

The real question is…Can the Dawgs beat Tech without Reggie Ball?
    With a defense that has improved all season and that is playing at the top of its game, the combination of Moreno and Brown driving the ball, add the pounding that Southerland will put on their D-Line and linebackers and Stafford launching to Bailey and Massequoi, the Dawgs make up for Ball’s absence and decimate Tech AGAIN!
    What’s Up Calvin?
    Does Calvin Johnson think he is playing the Dawgs today or is it just the UGA/TECH weekend that gets into his head – he has already dropped a half dozen balls in the first half of the Lions Packers game?

20. ToddH says:

GAWire apparently doesn’t know how the BCS bowl selection system works. Unless UGA loses to Tech and then takes a major plummet they will fall within the top 14 BCS teams and will, therefore, receive an at-large BCS bowl berth. Worst case scenario for Georgia is the Sugar Bowl.

21. Keep dreaming Jace. As Doug calculated it’s mathematically possible but very remotely so (for those of you from Athens that means it could happen but most likely won’t).

Of course with dog fans dreaming of playing in the title game it will make beating them tomorrow so much more fun.

22. Jace Walden says:

Once again, Buzz, I don’t think it will actually happen. I really don’t. But, considering where this team was at the beginning of the season, being mathematically still “in it”, is quite an accomplishment. After we beat Tech this weekend, we’ll be ranked at least 5th in the BCS (Arizona State Lost, plus either Kansas/Missouri will lose).

The things that need to happen for UGA to get to the 2nd rank are not all that unlikely. But putting them all together does make the scenario as a whole unlikely. After this weekend though, we’ll only need a couple of things: (1) A West Virginia Loss, (2) Oklahoma/Texas winning the Big 12, and (3) LSU losing in the SEC Championship game.

These things are all possible and not unlikely. It’s a lot that has to fall into place though.

What’s funny is that we have a better shot of making it to the National Championship than Tech does of winning its own subdivision in the ACC. 🙂

23. ToddH says:

Well, Arkansas beats LSU. The only way for UGA to make it to the Sugar Bowl is to make it to the SEC championship and beat LSU. Otherwise they’ll go to the Capital One bowl, though I have heard rumblings that they could score at at large bid for the Orange Bowl.

24. drjay says:

even if lsu still wins the sec–if we stay roughly where we are currently ranked–we could still score an at large bcs bid–likely the orange…

25. Brian Laurens says:

Is it bad when I am looking forward to a loss to UGA because I know it guarantees Chan is gone.

I hate to lose, but at least it has a purpose.

26. Doug Deal says:

Is it too late to guarentee victory? If not, let me guarentee the Yellow Jackets take it to the Dawgs (sic) and the Dawg (sick) fans blame it on “bad calls”.

Where’s my bookie?

27. ToddH says:

Did anyone actually believe that FSU could stop Tebow?

From what the announcers were stating Georgia is pretty much sailing for an Orange Bowl bid. Depending on how far LSU falls they’ll go into tomorrow ranked either fourth or fifth.

Anyone ready to watch West Virginia and Ohio State in the National Championship?

28. jsm says:

I’ll go ahead and toot my own horn now for calling this game for Ugag by two scores (see above).

I hate the butt-licking dawgs and the redneck, uneducated, mullet-wearing bulldawg nay-shun, but what I hate worse is enduring a shaky Tech quarterback and wide receivers who can’t catch an easy ball. Chan needs to be run out of town. He is a total disappointment.

29. John Douglas says:

Its California calling and DAWGS might well be Rose bound. Now ranked #4 in the BCS and both the AP and Coaches poll, they are in great shape. The Rose gets the pick of the litter after the top two spots go to NOLA. Look for Southern Cal vs UGA.

We need for Oklahoma to beat Missouri and the DAWGS ride into January and Pasedena ranked #3 in the land. The DAWGS win there and finish the season at #2. GAWD I love it!

30. Jace Walden says:

The Rose Bowl actually goes to the Big Ten Champion and the Pac-10 Champion, if available.

USC is most likely going to the Rose Bowl, unless they lose to UCLA, which I doubt will happen. And as of today, Ohio State is slated for the Rose Bowl. If they end up in the National Title game, I hear the talking heads saying that Illinois will be the Big 10 replacement.

As far as Georgia, I’ve heard most likely an at-large bid to the Orange Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl. I don’t see them going to the Rose Bowl, although that would be great too.

Here is a great summary of how the BCS Bowl teams are selected:

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
    Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
    Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
    Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl
    Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game (for 2008, Orange Bowl) will pick first;
    B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game (for 2008, Fiesta Bowl) will pick second;
    C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game (for 2008, Sugar Bowl) will pick third.

This year, the Orange Bowl gets to pick its teams first. So it looks like Georgia will most likely end up playing the ACC Champion in the Orange Bowl.

31. John Douglas says:

AJC.com, today:

ROSE BOWL

When: Jan. 1, 2008, 5:10 p.m. (ABC)

Likely opponent: Southern Cal (9-2) if the Trojans beat UCLA on Saturday

How it happens: Because the Rose loses one of its host teams (Ohio State) to the BCS championship game, it goes to the front of the line on Selection Sunday. After looking at the pool of at-large teams, it chooses Georgia (10-2), one of the hottest teams in college football.

32. Doug Deal says:

Why is everyone congratulating Georgia. I do not think GT has officially conceeded this game, as there are points from absentee scores yet to be counted.

33. Jace Walden says:

John,

Damn, you’re right…I forgot about the rule about the Bowl losing one of its contenders to the NCG.

The Rose Bowl wouldn’t be bad. I would love to see a UGA vs. USC matchup. That would be a rough game.

If Missouri and West Virginia win though, THEN we’ll most likely be going to the Orange Bowl.

34. Icarus says:

John/Jace

While the Rose would have first replacemnet pick, Illinois is likely to be eligible due to the late rule change this year, and the Rose prefers the tradition of Big Ten vs. Pac 10 more than getting the best available team.

(they really don’t like the Big Ten or Pac Ten teams getting destroyed in the Rose Bowl).

Thus, the Orange gets the next pick, and that’s where UGA is most likely to land, in my opinion (and ESPN and CBSSportsline)

I believe GA holds the record for playing in the most different bowl games, yet we’ve never been to the Fiesta, so I’d prefer that one. However, we haven’t been to the Orange or Rose during my lifetime, so I’ll be happy whereever we land.

35. Icarus says:

Can’t wait to hear Beamer whine a bit more about how UGA must have filmed thier practice because we played so well against them.

Also, I’m starting the rumor that Trent Lott is stepping down because he wants the Ole Miss job. Feel free to spread that one around.

36. Icarus says:

Buzz’s ability to prognosticate GA Tech games aside, he enters the final week of College Pick’em with a 55 point lead, and only 45 points on the table this week.

Thus, in the spirit of contrition, humility, and understanding that Tech fans need something to lift their spirits this week, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Buzz Brockway on being the first ever PeachPundit College Pick’em champion.

I, not being Mac Collins, hearby concede this victory, will continue to battle in the tight race for 2nd place, and then will retire to my basement for the offseason, where I will continue to try and build my own Buzz Brockway for use with next season’s picks.

Congrats Buzz!

37. Thanks Icarus.

It certainly was a bad weekend for Techsters like me. Now comes the news Coach Chan was fired today. It’s probably the right move – we were stuck in the mid level of the ACC – but I really wish it had worked for Gailey. I respect him as a man and wish him the best for the future.