Deal May Switch Support to Huckabee

According to a recent Congressional Quarterly piece about Fred Thompson and the obvious fact that he is a weak candidate and how that was willingly ignored by his early supporters, Deal is having second thoughts about the “savior” of the GOP.

Rep. Nathan Deal , R-Ga., was once on the brink of declaring for Thompson but ultimately chose to keep his powder dry.

Deal said that, like others, Thompson waiting so long to get into the race disconcerted him.

1. Chris says:

Face it. Fred has run an abysmal campaign. He almost said something worth hearing on ABC Sunday morning when asked about executive experience. He said running a big city, state or large company wasn’t preparation for being President.

What he didn’t say is that there is nothing that can prepare someone for being President because the Federal Government is so damn big it CANNOT be managed.

Nope, Fred’s policy advisors are the same bunch of lackluster morons who are advising the current occupant of the White House. If were stuck having an idiot in the White House f—ing things up, I’d rather it be Hillary and someone from my team.

2. shep1975 says:

Are any of the original Draft Fred leaders still supporting Fred?

I don’t know how I can support someone for POTUS who tells a newspaper he doesn’t think he’ll ever be President.

3. Doug Deal says:

Erick’s sycophants at Red State lambasted me for those very same observations that Deal makes here. There were calls to have me labeled a Moby and banned.

At Red State, there is a direct correlation between vehemence and the degree to which you are talking out of your ,um uh, behind.

4. Chris says:

I didn’t say I no longer supported Thompson. I just said Fred is running an abysmal campaign.

In one interview before he announced he was talking about his Red Pickup Truck that got him so much success in Tn. One of the reasons he said was that the truck only help two people. So it gave him a lot of time to think, and not a lot of time talking with his consultants.

Someone needs to buy the Senator a new pickup truck.

5. shep1975 says:

If someone cannot run a campaign of a couple hundred employees, how can we trust them to run an administration of a couple of million employees?

To me there is a direct link between how well and organized and effective a person’s campaign is and how organized and effective their administration will be.

6. shep1975 says:

Rugby, everyone says they don’t want to be President at some point in their campaign. It’s that faked humility that comes with the idea that anyone who really, really wants to be President, probably shouldn’t be trusted with the job.

7. debbie0040 says:

Still supporting Fred but not very happy with his campaign skills.

I want a fiscal conservative first and foremost.

He is still first choice and Rudy is second.

The bottom line is that negative ads have not started running yet.

Imagine ads with Romney’s video of the debate with Uncle Ted in 1994.

Imagine ads with Huckabee begging the Democratic controlled legislature to raise taxes…

8. Jeff Emanuel says:

Doug, don’t worry — at RS, there’s also often an inversely proportional relationship between the volume of people’s threats and calls for banning, and their ability to do so. šŸ™‚

I’ve stayed 100% noncommital in this race, and I’m just going to keep my head down and continue that. After all, it’s only November šŸ™‚

9. Doug Deal says:

Jeff,

I am non committal as well. I guess I would vote for Rudy as it stands now, but I cannot get behind any of them.

liberator,

Sorry, I won’t make that endorsement. Oh, you mean Nathan. I once convinced a friend who worked for him when he was in the state senate that I was his nephew.

My plan is to move to his district when he is about to retire and run ads that say “Continue the DEAL legacy, vote DOUG Deal.”

10. CHelf says:

Debbie,

I hate to break it to you but in the early states people already know everything ab out Romney and Huckabee along with everything else. Everything’s been dug up, buried, resurrected, interred, etc. any of those stories look worse than Frankenstein. The only thing worse is Mitt’s people mocking Iowa’s role in the Caucus and Rudy’s people dodging the delegate seating question in NH. If Fred cannot capitalize on SC or FL he’s finished. Mitt will have the early momentum and Rudy will have the larger states with more delegates. Unless one of those two screw the pooch, you best be switching allegiances to Rudy faster than Saban looking at the potential LSU job.

11. John Konop says:

Debbie

Under Bush we have had the largest hidden tax increase ever The value of the dollar dropping is from Bush and Congress out of control spending.

It is basic economics under Bush and company national debt goes from 4 trillion to 9 trillion. Consumer debt grows out of control as well. Yet all you guys talk about is 4% GDP growth. This is like a company growing sales while the bottom line is falling apart.
    That is why the dollar is crashing.

Do you so called conservatives understand that financing out of control debt without tax revenue is worse than a tax increase? Do you understand that we are not just paying the interest but we are devaluing our money? This use to be the CORNERSTONE issue for the GOP!

It was Democrats who used to sell us on the investment story of Government now we have both Parties!

12. Mark Rountree says:

Fred’s campaign has been a disaster so far. The best part of this was the DRAFT movement, down hill since. I think everyone sees that — well, except IAMJACKSPOST and his boss.

13. Mark Rountree says:

Committed to vote for Fred. Will stay that way. Just very dissatisfied with the campaign.

There is no primary message, no understanding of their political niche, and no real incorporation of that early volunteer movement. And really can’t tell he’s a professional communicator in the debates or speaking engagements. Despite saying they would do it, there has been no real use of the internet or new media (remember when Thompson laid down Franken in the “Cuban” youtube? It was huge, but never been done again.)

Fred needs to come out now and lay it on the line about how he is different from the other candidates. He is better than this.

Fred would be a good general election candidate for the Party, keeping our major coalitions together. Definitely still for him. But definitely want more.

14. John,

No offense, but Ron Paul’s support has not moved in significant numbers to make him viable. Yes, he has loyal supporters (that’s a fabulous thing) , but he still hasn’t been able to move the numbers in the way that needs to be done.

I really think most Republicans are still in the wait and see mode. Given the ’06 bloodbath, most are still very cautious.

I like Ron Paul, but I honestly don’t think he will win. Some of his early and mosted dedicated supporters are not what most campaigns want on board (the racial and anti-semetic bunch). They are probably a small element, but those happen to be his arms and legs on the ground that show up at all the events.

He, more than likely, doesn’t share those views, but they certainly don’t do justice to his campaign.

Huckabee, currently is the only candidate that is making noticable strides. People are embracing his campaign (both conservatives and mainstream). Giuliani is probably the only other horse in the field that has the ability to effectively energize the base.

But who knows, anything can happen but the clock is ticking fast.

15. Jace Walden says:

Maurice,

With all due respect, conservatives aren’t embracing Huckabee. Big-government, fiscally-liberal Republicans are. Christian socialists are.

Conservatives aren’t.

16. John Konop says:

Maurice Atkinson

As I have said I do not 100% support Ron Paul position on the issues. I am more of a conservative populist and Paul is more of a Libertarian. Yet he makes many valid points about spending, nation building, trade, immigration, education

17. Doug Deal says:

Mark,

I think Rudy would be the best G.E. candidate because he would make states like NJ, NH, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin more winnable. Secruring these states would make a Republican unbeatable nationally.

Fred might be better at “shoring up the base”, but he would do little to expand the party.

Reliance on idealogical purity on one and only one issue has cost the party dearly. That one issue has no place in national politics other than appointing literate judges to overturn RvW to send it to the states where it belongs.

18. Jace,

The same elements that were key in the ’06 mess are still relevant. They were:

1. Political Corruption
    2. Oil
    3. Iraq War
    4. Conservative Double Speak

Unfortunately, none of the campaigns have mastered these issues. Hopefully, we’ll elect a dynamic conservative who will be able to effectively address them.

In all fairness, the Dems have the same problem. What is propelling Obama is his effective rhetoric. He is inspiring people. Whether he’s competent to head this nation is a right direction is not proven.

The Dems know Hilary and her ability to be a lightening rod. The reason she’s still a player is her husband. I don’t know one Dem that is enthused about her, nor really trusts her judgement. So what does that leave them? They just don’t like Republicans or Bush.

This election will be about who can move their supporters to the polls on blind faith. I would feel more comfortable with not crossing my fingers and holding my breath while I cast my vote.

With the ability to present information far more rapidly than at other time (with nearly zero cost) it amazes me there isn’t a dominant strong voice.

19. debbie0040 says:

chelf, political junkies might know the past with Mitt and Huckabee, but the average voter does not start really paying attention until about 6 – 8 weeks from the election. They don’t know the past of either Huckabee or Romney.

As for Saban, is staying at Alabama. He inherited a mess from Shula. Rivals ranks Alabama as having the number 3 recruiting class behind Notre Dame and Georgia. Alabama has also had 5 starters suspended that will be back for the Auburn game.

I used to cheer for LSU before the fans got so nasty about Saban coming to Alabama, not I cheer for whoever LSU is playing. Tires have been slashed, etc.

I went to the Alabama-LSU game and the LSU fans were very drunk and abrasive to everyone and this was before the game. LSU fans were nudging anyone with an Alabama t shirt on sidewalks. One very drunk LSU fan did that to me and then started spouting vulgar and abusive language. I,in a very nice way, told him that he needed to go back to his favorite past time of squealing like a pig like in the movie Deliverance…

20. Jace Walden says:

Debbie,

Scout.com ranks Alabama’s recruiting class as 7th overall. But it is still the 2nd highest in the SEC to Georgia, who Scout.com also ranks as 2nd.

Saban inherited a mess, and I think he’ll clean it up and do great things…but losing to Louisiana-Monroe was an embarrasment to the SEC.

21. Tommy_a2b says:

Doug no offence but I do not want to expand the party. I want to bring back all those who are dissatisfied with what is going on now in the Republican Party!

22. CHelf says:

Debbie,

The ‘average’ voter in IA and NH already knows. In case you are unfamiliar with the primary system these people in both of these states have received more mail and calls from the candidates than they do the rest of the year. And it’s well within the 6-8 weeks window in both states. Everything that there is to tell about Mitt, Rudy, Huck, and Fred is already on the table. These people already know Huck’s past but yet he’s surging in IA. People in NH know Mitt well and he’s on top there. People have seen Fred’s best effort in both states and are not impressed. People can keep hanging on to him but he has failed to deliver. He was given a chance to prove himself to be Reagan incarnate. He was sold to be that. And he has failed. Once you sink for failure to perform, it’s really hard to come back. Fred made the people of NH mad and he’s failed to excel in IA.

As it stands right now, Rudy is the frontrunner. He’s leading in states with the highest delegate count. Mitt’s leading in the two highest profile early states. Unless something changes or they both drag each other down, these two are the ones leading going into the actual primary elections.

23. Doug Deal says:

Tommy,

Then lose nationally and get nothing. Great choice. If Republicans would get back to supporting Federalism, they would have a lot more success, but too many would rather have a 0 percent chance at everything than a 90% chance at 75% of what they want.

Abortion has no place nationally, but it is the insistance of these insane aborto-warriors that keeps abortion legal in all 50 states. Having the Federal government involve itself in making it illegal will cost you 2/3 of the country, because even many people that are against abortion will never support the expansion of the Federal government.

However, people will support the overturning of RvW, if it means the legality is decided by the states, where IT SHOULD BE DECIDED.

By being monolitically anti-abortion, The So-Cons (Socialist Conservatives) guarentee that it will remain legal everywhere.

24. Nate says:

I have a lot of concerns about the Fred Campaign, but he is still without a doubt the best man running. He is the only true Federalist in the race and that is what our country really needs right now. The media is having a lovefest with Huckabee because he is the most beatable in 08 and they know it. Huckabee is bad on taxes, bad on spending and one of the worst on immigration.

25. Mark Rountree says:

Just realized I wrote Franken above. Meant Michael Moore.

Huckabee is currently starting to fill the mile-wide hole in the Republican voting base — a place that Fred Thompson should more legitimately filling.

To his credit, I urged Tom Price at the state convention to switch from Romney to Thompson, a southern conservative. He said no way — that Fred will not campaign like he really wants the job.

So far, he was right.

Analytically speaking, Romney has run the best campaign so far, given how much he had to overcome. It is impressive, and he has basically stayed on message.

I’m supporting Fred all the way. As an early supporter, I’m just ready for him to differentiate himself.

26. Ric Mayfield says:

I’ve been supporting Gov. Romney for about a year now, and I’m truly glad I did. I have friends working with/supporting Rudy and Thompson, but I’m convinced Romney is the best candidate.

He’s the one candidate on the Republican side that can unite the three wings, strong defense, strong values, and strong economy.

This is down to Giuliani and Gov. Romney now.

27. liberator says:

Read About Huckabee in this month’s issue of Rolling Stone. He is anti-business as was Pat Buchanan and He is a Zealot. Both big government nanny statist positions. He can’t beat Hillary on such a platform. Paul is the only hope the GOP has to stop Hillary.