Cynthia McKinney Parkway

The debate about whether or not to rename “Cynthia McKinney Parkway” rages on.

Maybe the state could avoid these time-wasting debates if the legislature would stop naming roads after people who are still alive.

1. Donkey Kong says:

The state should avoid these debates altogether by only naming roads after Georgians who have given their lives for our freedom.

2. griftdrift says:

GA-37, GA-42, GA-166.

Letters and numbers that do not combine to form names, yet remain easy to follow and understand. And shockingly they already have signs indicating their identity with no need for additional signs at additional costs.

Now let’s talk about license plates…

3. Doug Deal says:

That works for highways grift, but if you named all streets using that convention, you would end up living on the corner of GA-234572 and ALT-GA-89334.

4. Jace Walden says:

Yeah, but you could name an infinite number of streets just using standard adjectives or nouns.

I.E. First Street, Shiloh Road, Royal Boulevard, Interstate North Parkway, Canton Street…

5. StevePerkins says:

Actually, if you get outside the city, most roads ARE named something like “County Road 23” and “County Road 7”. Even in town, I grew up just off of “24th Ave.”, and never had any problem finding my house.

Frankly, I don’t care whether a street has a number, or a generic name like “Elm St.” My problem with naming streets after politicians (alive OR dead) is that it’s generally done as a “f**k you” to whichever group is out of power at that particular point in time. When the South was being desegregated, every southern town suddenly sprung up a “Lee St.” and “Jackson St.”. When the black vote took over Atlanta, you got things like “Cynthia McKinney Blvd”. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that both examples aren’t simply about thumbing your nose at some group you don’t like?

How about the legislature just stop wasting its time on wedge issue crap, and get around to building some more freaking water reservoirs. You can name THOSE after anybody you like, as far as I care.

6. bowersville says:

Who cares? This is only an issue to trivial people. McKinney_Miller_my mail is at the Post Office.

Is this an excuse so politicians can claim they did something significant?

Or is it an excuse for a front page poster to come up with something in-significant?