1. drjay says:

erick i think you will find race still permeates much of the political and social landscape of the larger cities in ga from atl to augusta to sav’h and back to macon–if you follow augusta-richmond county politics at all–you will see race plays a huge part in the decisions that they make and how the votes are counted on the commission–its unfortunate –and esp. in augusta’s case appears to hold up real progress–but it is what it is…

2. StevePerkins says:

Have you ever seen the 80’s flick “Wargames”, with Matthew Broderick? The computer’s prognosis in that film could also be applied to public discussions about race relations:

“A very odd game… the only winning move is not to play.”

3. Dawgfan says:

One thing you might want to think about doing is testing your thoughts about race against stereotypes. Do you know these to be true or are they based on stereotypes.

It could keep you from saying something you think is innocent, but gets you in a lot of trouble. It also makes you think them through.

4. Still Looking says:

It is better to talk about race than to ignore it like it doesn’t exist. The answer is somewhere between white people never seeing race as an issue and black people saying it racism is everywhere.

5. Doug Deal says:

Erick,

I think racial problems persist more because of the profit in persisting them than anything else.

What would happen to race warlords if they stopped fanning the flames of every black/white issue, no matter how minor and incidental? The cash resevoirs would empty like Lake Lanier during a drought.

Unless people start standing up to those who are using racial conflict as a fund raising tool, we will be driving flying cars, wearing silver-metallic clothing, and eating soylent green before the problems are ever “solved”.

6. Doug,

That would make them cease to be relevant. I’ve never quite figured out why people would rather fan the flames of bigotry as opposed to zero in on the “real” problems and solve them.

The reality is, it is far easier to perpetuate a dsyfunctional environment because of fear, or to maintain some stereotypical belief as opposed to seeing the commonality of everyone and working to build real relationships that problem solve.

I really don’t know anyone, regardless of race or gender, who don’t want the very same essential things. Once you find whats in common the division become less of a factor and become insignificant.

7. Mad Dog says:

Erick,

I don’t know how topical my comments will be at this point.

I’m glad you are going to be at an event where social interactions will be discussed.

Glad you blogged about it.

A couple of good points were raised and a couple poor points rehashed.

I’ve put my two cents in on this subject several times. The very negative side of racism exists in the South no matter how trendy it might be to play semantic games.

There are some positive issues in race discussions and I hope your experiences take a turn in that direction.

Just in case, here’s a brief story for you. A cautionary tale, maybe.

My great grandmother hated my father, his family, and his kids. Why?

My great grandmother was a Scots-Irish decendant and my father was a Parker.

Now, that’s a racial kind of hatred that dates back hundreds of years.

Yet, how much of identity comes from the verbal histories passed generation to generation in almost every family/ethnic group like the Scots-Irish and the Parkers?

MD