Tax Jesus’s Plan a Boon For Lobbyists

Maybe I need to take up lobbying.

Memo to businesses: time to unleash the lobbyists.

Capitol-watchers say every lobbyist within driving distance may be employed during the 2008 session to try to mitigate the potential damage Richardson’s plan would have on the businesses they represent. Or they’ll be paid to promote the plan if the businesses they represent will save money through the elimination of property taxes.

1. Old School Politics says:

Valid point. However, remember that ultimately the Lobbyists would be subject to the sales tax on services and therefore be required to charge sales tax on their services.

2. Bull Moose says:

Now that I’m not a candidate, I can unleash my opinion!

Richardson deserves merit for taking the first bite into the tax reform apple. However, his bite won’t be the last, nor do I predict, will it be the bite that finishes the apple.

The elimination of property taxes would make cities, counties, and school boards all beholden to the powers of the state for all future funds.

For years, we conservatives have been saying that the best government is that which is closest to the people – local government. This plan put forward by Richardson seems to fly in the face of that. This would eliminate local control and be a step toward a more centralized state form of government.

Every man, woman, and child in Georgia knows that we need tax reform in Georgia, but do we need this reform? Do we want to sacrifice local control for a more extreme all controlling state?

What is also being lost in the discussion here of this issue is the bad trend of the state to hand down to local governments unfunded mandates.

What we need to have in conjunction with this dialoge on tax reform is the dialogue on the responsibilities of the various divisions of government and how best to go about delivering and paying for the services to the citizens of Georgia.

3. eburke says:

Well said Bull Moose. We need to get a handle on spending at the State level. I send five times more dollars to the State than I do to my school board, county and fire district combined. I bet if the mandates regarding indigent legal defense, schools, and the courts were eliminated that the local government could cut taxes and provide me better service on something that I might actually use.
    I really think the GREAT plan is a smokescreen to take attention away from the Republican Legislature’s failure to limit the size of State government without pushing things on the Counties and School Boards. First you create a problem by tieing the hands of local governments, then push the items you don’t want to fund on the locals and then complain that they are out of control when the cost of local government increases. Then you centralize all the funding in the the State’s hands and force the counties and schools to come to you for thier funding. It is the most brilliant power grab since Cromwell took over England!

4. Jace Walden says:

Bull Moose,

I’m curious as to why you couldn’t say something about the GREAT Plan while you were a candidate. Were you afraid to take a position on something?

With that said, I do agree with your position though.

5. Bull Moose says:

Well said Eburke. I too am suspicious of it being used as a smokescreen to hide other things.

And Jace, unfortunately, it didn’t come up in during the election, perhaps I should have brought it up and made it an issue?

6. cheapseats says:

Why should this be a surprise?

This whole plan was hatched by lobbyists and Romeo Stache just bought into it since they promised to make him Guv’nah. In fact, what’s he got to lose? If this works, he’s the next Guv. If it doesn’t, then, well who in their right mind would want to stay in the state House for more than a couple of terms, anyway?

(are they gonna start taxing my commas?)