Correcting the narrative

Let me be upfront that this is not intended to be a partisan post in any way, though it deals with a particularly partisan issue.

It is an example, instead it is a study in the media having a narrative that ultimately leads to their getting the story wrong. My apologies to our good friends at the Political Insider, but I feel the need to correct them on this post.

Here’s where they get into trouble:

Rep. Jim Marshall, a Macon Democrat, took considerable heat from the political left after voting against an expansion of national program that provides health insurance to poor kids, including Georgia

1. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Erick,
    Funny, I read that the other day and scratched my head too. As a native New Englander, with it’s extensive Catholic population, I can tell you that many many Catholics are Deomocrats and/or very liberal. John Kerry anyone?

2. souldrift says:

If i were to be a practicing Christian, it would be as a Catholic. There is a long-established tradition of social justice within that denomination. It is left of most Protestant faiths.

3. John Konop says:

I think these points out the fundamental problem of being pro-life and being for capital punishment and against healthcare. The Pope is clear he is 100% pro-life not just pro-birth like some of you.

I am not questioning your faith only your logic. How can you claim that you are pro-life yet not be for solving the healthcare crisis? I do not think SCHIP is the answer but a mandatory pay system that covers all would be consistent with someone who is pro-life.

How can you be pro-life and not think a child or parent needs healthcare? Do the rights of the child stop at birth? Do you think a new born baby or child is less vulnerable somehow when they are born?

4. StevePerkins says:

The Catholic church is very misunderstood here in the South where it’s a small minority. They’ve been lumped in with the Baptists and fundamentalist wackos because of their opposition to abortion and gay rights. However, that’s pretty much where the similarites end… if you take away all issues related to sexuality, the Catholic church is about as far-left as it gets.

When I was young, back before the GOP started depending on social wedge issues to motivate the religious vote, most right-wing Protestant groups though of Catholicism as a cult and hated us. Ironically, I was much happier being both Catholic and Republican back in those days.

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Steve, I’ve been told more than once down here that as a Catholic, I am NOT a Christian. Well I may not be a ‘good’ Christain, but it’s not becasue of my Catholicism.
    😉

6. rugby_fan says:

Loyalty:

Isn’t it interesting that the one Christian faith that was established by Christ and is the genesis for all other Christian dogmas is considered “unchristian” in the South?

7. Doug Deal says:

I converted to Catholicism and I must say that it is really the only church that I would chose.

They are not against things like evolution and admit that science is where one finds the answer to scientific questions and religion is where one finds answers to religion/moral/ethical questions.

Too many people in religion/science don’t seem to understand that they do not have all the answers, and just end up looking like fools when they try to invade the expertise of the other.