1. BubbaRich says:

I’m pretty sure we couldn’t vote in Auburn (Alabama) city elections when I was a student there. I did vote when I was a year-round city resident later in my academic career. Transient students have much less stake in the community, though, so it makes sense to consider excluding them from voting in local elections.

2. eburke says:

Can we keep folks who live in trailer parks from voting in our county elections? They aren’t permanent residents and don’t have as much at stake. I suspect that the Justice Department would not like the idea.

3. Rogue109 says:

GOOD GOD! SpaceyG is actually posting something that is (1) relevant, (2) about Georgia and (3) doesn’t make fun of anyone!

Surely this is a sign of the End of the World! Well done, SpaceyG!

4. The Comma Guy says:

From the Statesboro newspaper:

Now that the city election is over, county officials need to decide what they are going to do with the 909 voter challenges filed by the Statesboro Citizens for Good Government two weeks ago. Specifically, they

5. ChuckEaton says:

When I was a student at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa had their municipal elections in August. I don’t think it was a coincidence voting day hit during summer break.

6. eburke says:

The General Assembly has mandated that City elections be held in November in the odd years. This is another erosion of the principle of home rule by the legislature.
    It seems the best way to insure re-election would be to do a good job for all of your citizens, rather than trying to keep a large number of them from being able to vote.

7. Jen says:

BubbaRich,

When I was at UGA, I registered to vote using my dorm address. Considering that I was receiving in-state tuition and my parents had moved out of state, where else would I have registered to vote?

8. Rick Day says:

does one think for a second that if this woman who filed the challenge didn’t feel potential political heat from said 900 votes, that this would be not really happening?

If the votes go ‘your way’, then they stay. If they go ‘your way, NO’ then out the window they go!

Stupid rural hick Boss-Hoggs…

9. StevePerkins says:

Can someone explain to me how this sort of thing even happens? I live in Gwinnett County… not exactly Silicon Valley, but elections run pretty well. When I moved here, I registered to vote with a form that I picked up at the local library. I got a registration card in the mail telling me where my precinct was. I go to that location on election day. The find my name on a list of registered voters and check it off. I vote.

So what’s going on in Statesboro that a thousand or so people could just show up at a precinct where they’re not registered to vote, and be allowed to do so anyway? I’ve never really understood all the furvor over photo ID laws, as I haven’t been able to so how voter fraud could be that common of an issue. This story makes me think twice… how could a town’s elections be so sloppy that a challenge like this could be so much as raised? You just print out a list of registered voters eligible to vote in the precinct, and check off the names as they vote. How do you screw that up?!?

10. The Comma Guy says:

Steve – the challenge is more about the fact that the students were able to register to vote in Statesboro. If they can’t register, then the fact that they showed up to vote doesn’t matter.

One of the things I always was told while in school was that if you registered to vote using your dorm or apartment address, you would screw up your health care coverage under your parents’ policy. It could also cause some problems with being claimed as a dependent for tax purposes. Of course, this could have just be propaganda I was getting fed to keep me from voting in local elections…

11. Doug Deal says:

Well, I posted a list of links that support the students being allowed to vote, but my post was sent to Erick’s black hole, and hopefully it will be approved in timely fashion.

12. BubbaRich says:

eburke:

If the people only live in the trailer parks in your county for 9 months or so every year for 4 or 5 years total, then A) you’ve got some weird trailer parks, and B) yes, they’ve obviously not treating your county like a permanent home.

After reading other comments here, I vaguely remember that Auburn held its municipal elections when students would be gone. I think that’s a great way to try to keep students from voting unless they are year-round residents.

Collidge students would be a dumb as Snuggles and vote for keeping bars open longer.

13. Doug Deal says:

Bubba,

If Erick would approve the post that was sent to the black hole of moderator approval last week (due to the number of links, I assume) , you would see that you are wrong.

The Federal government does not care that you “only live 9 months” where your school is located, and recognizes that students have a stake in the outcome of local elections and are therefore allowed to vote in their home elections or the elections of their school address.