1. Chris says:

I’ve been predicting a “Blue Donut” in the metro area for awhile. As people get fed up w/ traffic and new high-priced development goes up in Midtown and Downtown, Atlanta will become more conservative and the southern parts of Gwinnett, and Cobb will match their counterparts in DeKalb, Clayton and south fulton creating a Democrat donut around the city.

That will make for more interesting politics in Cobb & Gwinnett.

2. Mike Hauncho says:

Two years is pushing it. 5-10 maybe but I think there is still too many blacks that vote and too few whites that do for it to change this soon. Plus, when the word gets out that blacks could lose control of the City gov’t they will turn out it in such force no white could win.

3. EAVDad says:

Stacey, I personally hate Mojitos and I fall into the white intowner category! (Actually I fall into the Iranian category like Andi — where is your family from?)

I live in East Atlanta Village (EAV, get it?) and we did have a state rep race in which there was one African-American candidate against several white candidates. It went to a run-off and the black candidate, Robbin Shipp, won. I don’t think she was the best candidate, but she won in pretty strong fashion. She played to the race issue a little (not a lot ) and it worked.

So I don’t think you’ll see a white “takeover” yet and I doubt there will be a white mayor this time around. Personally, I more concerned with competence than I am color. My city councilwoman, Natalyn Archibong, is very strong. I’ve disagreed with her on a couple of things, but she’s smart, engaged, connected and concerned. What else can you ask for?

4. SpaceyG says:

EAV… see post below for more info on my origins. I did have an uncle who lived in Iran once, Shah good ‘ole days, for about a year. He speaks fondly to this day of the place. He came home to be yet another southern good ‘ole boy lawyer though. Some things never change around here. Sigh… A son of his though, my cousin, is broadening our family horizons a bit, and is engaged to a Korean woman. They’re both, imagine this, lawyers. Maybe they can start some kinda global support group now for their legal brethren — those imprisoned Pakistani lawyers seen above.

5. griftdrift says:

Let’s see. In a thread about Atlanta when Genarlow lived in Douglasville. Hmmmmmm. What could be the connection. Let me see. It has to be there somewhere. Oh year. HE’S BLACK!

It just all ties together in your little mind doesn’t it Harry?

6. Rick Day says:

Pfft, having dealt with the pettiness, innuendo and delay tactics that is orchestrated by white dominated quasi-government groups in Midtown :::coughMNA/NPU/DRC:::cough, I do not see this as really much a good thing.

7. Rogue109 says:

This must be one of those postings from SpaceyG that LoyaltyIsMyHonor thinks contains “good material.”

At least SpaceyG got to slam on another segment of Southerners.

8. candlerpark says:

“As people get fed up w/ traffic and new high-priced development goes up in Midtown and Downtown, Atlanta will become more conservative ” . . . . . Uh, don’t count on that one.