1. StevePerkins says:

I don’t really know enough about the particulars in this case to question the ruling (or even care all that much). However, “brain injury or not, execute the bast**d!” illustrates some pretty valid concerns about the mentality behind capital punishment. There’s no real evidence that it acts as a deterrent, or has any link at all to crime rates. It’s pretty much just a bloodthirsty impulse for revenge for its own sake.

The idea that any right-thinking human being could call for the death penalty against the retarded is pretty scary. Of course, it wasn’t until a few years ago that we finally outlawed the execution of minors… which even radical Muslim countries like Iran did away with decades ago.

2. ToddH says:

Yessirebobskie. Round up the posse, it’s hangin’ time. Dave probably wishes he lived in the Ol’ West so he can challenge people to a dewwwl.

3. emma g says:

If as a society we show the same disrespect for the value of human life as the accused, then we stand on the immoral common ground of the accused.

4. Dave says:

I wish I were as “enlightened” as the rest of you who want to know the societal reasons that people commit heinous acts. Why did poor Jeffrey Dahmer kill all those innocent people? Would anyone like a piece of liver for dinner? And Ted Bundy, surely he was “misunderstood.” He really didn’t intend to kill all of those coeds in Florida. If we could just “comprehend” why these poor wretches do what they do! Never mind that these murderers took away all their victims ever were and all they would ever be. Your compassion for societal debris is truly touching. And let’s not forget “Tookie” Williams, the guy in California who Arnold finally lowered the boom on in California after all of Hollywood pleaded the case for leniency. I can still see Mike Farrell begging for clemency. Does anyone have a hankie I can use? Truly a misunderstood soul, don’t you think? Tolerance for the beastly acts done to truly innocent people is unbelievable.

5. GodHatesTrash says:

KKKlowns like Dave would love to have a good ol’ fashioned lynching bee – bring their families and their picnic lunches, watch the man swing from the tree… after you drag him through town behind a pickup truck.

6. Dave says:

Nice to hear from you. Trash! I was wondering when you’d pipe up here. Glad to see I wasn’t disappointed. I especially like the KKK reference. Typical of your style and truly original. More, more, more…LMAO!

7. Dave says:

And we certainly don’t need a lynching. This guy was convicted, presumably by a jury of his “peers.” His lawyer filed a frivolous motion after a favorable US Supreme court ruling to try and get him saved. I wonder what type of legal gymnastics his leaned barrister was planning in the intervening years since his conviction? Probably didn’t have much of an imagination ’till the Supreme Court whispered in his ear. Thank God the GA Supreme Court put the appeal in the round file.

8. Dave says:

I think I know what had to have happened in this special case. I’ll bet his lawyer saw “Analyze That” and tried to copy the mentally unbalanced behavior Robert DeNiro used to get sprung into Billy Crystal’s custody. “I’m sorry, Mr. Rogers, I just don’t understand…it worked for DeNiro! “

9. GodHatesTrash says:

Oh well, KKKDave. It looks like you and your redneck buddies are gonna miss out on some redneck fun, what with the execution not even being televised.

Maybe you can find a dogfight to satisfy your bloodlust?

10. Bill Simon says:

Where is Eric Johnson on this issue? Surely the Court should have consulted with Lord Eric for his input, right? After all, he is the Lord of The Legislature and only legislators can make or interpret law.

Especially those legislators who have an architectural degree…talk about a person who was born power-hungry.

11. StevePerkins says:

Opposing capital punishment has nothing to do with “leniency”, Dave. Likewise, supporting capital punishment has nothing to do with justice.

You either believe that it’s a good idea to trust the government with the power to kill people, or you don’t. Based on your comments about executing the retarted, and Schwartzenegger “lowering the boom!” on death-row inmates, I would say you don’t much care about any principle beyond the entertainment value of watching people killed from a distance.

12. Dave says:

What I care about Steve, is putting to death those who kill viciously innocent people in our society. A rake handle through the chest of a defenseless 75 year old certainly qualifies in my book! What I especially like, though, is the 0% recidivism rate. I certainly appreciate your angst ridden look into my soul, though.

13. Dave says:

Don’t all sentences handed down by our justice system have to do with justice, Steve? From traffic fines to the most extreme, they all are done to punish some type of transgression against our society. I wonder if Rogers’ murdered victim would think his sentence “just.”

14. BubbaRich says:

I think we should put people to death for illegally trading with Iran. That would also make it a zero percent recidvism rate, but then he wouldn’t have made it to be our vice president. But meeting that 0% recidivism goal is the overriding factor!

First of all, though, I need to know who all of the viciously innocent people are, and who is killing them! I am completely against that!