AJC’s circulation down 9%

Most of the nation’s 25 largest newspapers saw a decrease in the number of subscribers. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution had the largest percentage decrease:

THE ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION — 318,350 — 350,159

1. Jace Walden says:

It’s because that paper is so liberal. Nothing but LIBERALS.

I’m sure some of you were thinking that.

It’s probably because more people can get their news online though. I wonder what AJC.com traffic is like?

2. heroV says:

It would be interesting to contrast the circulation decrease with growth of their website the last few years. I no longer receive an AJC subscription, but I do read their website regularly. I think their drought coverage has been okay in terms of educating me on what’s happening there. I’m not even sure where else I could get that type of information, because I definitely have no interest in watching the 6:00 or 11:00 news.

3. StevePerkins says:

When I was doing contract work for Cox (the AJC’s owner), I used to work down the hall from Kudzu.com… their Craigslist-style attempt to hang on to some of the classified advertising revenue that’s being lost to the Internet. I don’t know anything about AJC.com’s numbers, but the Kudzu spinoff sure was growing like gangbusters. Even that’s a mixed-blessing, though… since it cannibalizes the AJC’s classifieds revenue.

I don’t think politics has much of anything to do with the AJC’s decline. I think it has more to do with just how more convenient it is get your news from a big aggregated source such as Google News or Yahoo News. I can’t remember the last time I picked up ANY newspaper, be it a local paper or a national one like the NY Times, WSJ, etc.

The downside of this consolidation is that we’re likely to lose in-depth coverage of local issues. However, local media outlets aren’t exactly doing themselves any favors in staving off this trend. Whenever I DO glance at local news, it’s always nothing but “gotcha” stories about some contractor ripping people off or some judge getting a DUI. The best and most detailed coverage that I’ve seen so far on the Lake Lanier situation was in U.S.News and World Report, a national publication.

4. Holly says:

It’s silly to buy a print version of the AJC if they put everything (almost everything?) online for free. As more people realize this, the circulation will continue to go down. I suspect that the AJC isn’t the only paper experiencing a decline in circulation for that reason, either.

5. joe says:

I may be the only one, but I cancelled my AJC subscription because of the politics. For the first time in over forty years, I do not subscribe to a local paper.

6. GodHatesTrash says:

It’s gotta be hard trying to sell newspapers in a state where 40% of the folks can’t graduate from high school.

Face it folks – Johnny Reb can’t read…

7. atlantaman says:

I think there have been many great explanations as to why the nation’s 25 largest newspapers have seen a decrease in subscribers.

Newspapers are especially screwed on the 35 and under demographic as nobody in that group reads the paper.

But to me the most interesting bit in the article was the fact the AJC’s subscriber decrease was the highest of the major newspapers and is outpacing (or underpacing) the average by more than 100%.

You can’t blame the huge disparity on the internet machine – all the papers have to deal with it.