1. BubbaRich says:

Do you have an example of a case where Justice Thomas “protected the precious liberties of every American”? I’ve followed his work off-and-on, and I can’t think of one of those. I can’t even think of a case where he voted differently from Justice Scalia.

I hope Senator Johnson has thought this through better than his praise for the success of his anti-abortion bill.

2. I’m opposed to naming public buildings/highways/bridges/parks after living people.

I think we should wait until 10 years after people die. I’d settle for 2 years.

I’m also opposed to honoring people by naming highway interchanges after them.

Is Tom Moreland’s memory well-served by having something people hate [Spaghetti Junction] named after him?

But hey, that’s just me.

3. dingleberry says:

Bubba,

I am of the impression that Senator Johnson doesn’t actually “think” through anything before he does or says it.

4. StevePerkins says:

If you’re opposed to a road being named after Cynthia McKinney, yet in favor of an idea like this, you’re a bald-faced hypocrite.

Either you oppose naming roads, parks, and buildings after living people, or you don’t. Anything in the middle is just being a partisan hack.

5. Dawgfan says:

I think they ought to name the whole damn interstate after him. Hell, I think they ought to name the Talmadge Bridge after him. As far as I’m concerned we can’t name enough things after him. I think it’s a shame that Justice Thomas is the highest serving Georgian in Government and he’s treated like a bastard child.

6. Mike-El says:

As long as it hits a dead end at Hill Street, is convenient to a Long John Silver’s, and goes just a hair past the Coke plant, I’m cool with it.

7. Doug Deal says:

Mike,

I think it actually extends past Hill street. Hill street actually dead-ends at that intersection.

The rightward lean of the road may eventually lead to overturning a row of cars, creating a carnage of wreckage to wade through.

8. EAVDad says:

Frankentributes? Very nice!

While I’m not a fan of Thomas’ politics, I do think his contributions warrant these types of honors. Georgia doesn’t have too many Supreme Court justices and given his upbringing and the challenges he faced, he is certainly worthy.

But I’m with the distinguished gentleman from CL: Wait until after he’s dead — or at least after he’s finished serving.

Maybe we could name every exit that goes hard right after him. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

9. Tom Moreland has also racked up big time since leaving as GDOT Commissioner.

Everytime you hit a pot hole in Bibb County, especially on the I16 MLK Exit, yell out one of these Men’s names instead of profanity, then Bow or Curtsy to the North in their honor and you might get a bridge to nowhere named after you… But don’t hold your breath on the pothole repair as there are elaborate ceremonies to prepare for.

Georgia Department of Transportation Commissioners
    1963

10. EAVDad says:

Erick: We should name a round after this blog. The Peach Pundit Highway: It’s long, takes many turns, but ultimately doesn’t go anywhere.

🙂

11. BubbaRich says:

I need to clarify that I’d be in favor of honoring Justice Thomas for his accomplishments, although I can see the arguments in favor of waiting for posthumous recognition, which I understand Erick has favored for people he doesn’t like.

It would be nice in some of the honors for Justice Thomas if we could recognize how various affirmative action policies and programs opened doors for him that would have been closed without those policies.

12. Jmac says:

Like EAVDad, I don’t like Thomas’s politics, but he is a friggin’ Supreme Court justice, and that counts for something.

And, hell, at least he’s from Georgia. The number of ‘Ronald Reagan Parkways’ I’ve seen in this state is ridiculous.

13. CHelf says:

Didn’t we have all of this outcry from the Right a few years back over Cynthia McKinney Parkway? Not that the two are comparable. But the logic against it was naming roads for the living. And honestly, do we really need to spend even more transportation money on signs? That’s a long stretch requiring quite a few signs. ‘Good’ investment in wasteful spending.

14. Donkey Kong says:

I disagree, Erick. I think we should name roads, bridges, etc. EXCLUSIVELY to American military men and women, diplomats, etc. that have died in service to their country. I think it would be a strong reminder that the very land we are driving on was kept free because of the person who died for it.

Chairman Ehrhart, Rep. Chambers, any thoughts?

15. NonPartisanGA says:

Not every black person who has achieved success has done so because of affirmative action. Folks devalue individual achievement when they at times eroneously and automatically attribute people’s success to social programs.

Each person’s journey is unique contrary to our laziness in wanting to lump folks together in groups.

I honestly do not know it that’s the case with Clarence Thomas. If someone out there has done the research and has facts they would be interesting to digest.

16. BubbaRich says:

NPGA: I wasn’t “automatically” dragging affirmative action into Thomas’ history, I was working from some common knowledge about his biography. You seem to be projecting onto others.

17. NonPartisanGA says:

Me thinkest thou protesteth too much…and the “common knowledge” is????? Seriously enlighten me as I inquired in my first comment.

18. BubbaRich says:

Don’t start your inquiry with an insult. Do your own research. It won’t take long, but you probably shouldn’t start with Justice Thomas’ own book. This is something that I don’t know about at all, but I would suspect that he does not draw attention to such incidents. In fact, he would rise up a little in my estimation if he DOES clearly mention them.

19. ChathamPolitics says:

I’ve read 2/3’s of Mr. Thomas’s book and listened to several speeches he has given. Before commenting on the subject of affirmative action and how ” Mr. Thomas may or may not have benefited from it” I would suggest reading the transcripts or the book so as not to write from a position of ignorance.

He does discuss the topic head on.

20. Chris says:

No, I like Justice Thomas and this would fly in the face of the “they must be dead to have something named after them, and if they do have something named after them we can rectify the deficiency” resolution I want to pass.

21. BubbaRich says:

NPGA:

You don’t have to do any research. Although I’d still suggest you learn not to insult somebody before you ask for a favor, my kids seem to be catching on to that.

22. bsjy says:

Justice Thomas is too classy to be honored by naming a highway crossing after him. Let’s do it the proper way, with a statue.

Read his book. It is an excellent story of the intellectual and spiritual growth of a man overcoming not only the financial poverty of the South but the intellectual poverty of the Eastern elites.

Don’t reveal yourself to be half-educated by using the word ‘kudo.’ Kudos is the collective noun meaning “fame or renown resulting from achievement.” One gives kudos but never a kudo.