1. Donkey Kong says:

Spacy,

I haven’t read any of the Harry Potters, more because of time than anything else. I already have about 50 books piled in my room that I’m trying to get to.

That being said, if I had kids, I would not allow them to read Harry Potter either–at a young age. Not all things that are worth reading should be given to young kids. Furthermore, families should have the fundamental right to raise their children as they please, and that includes sheltering them from viewpoints that they consider reprehensible until their children are mature enough to handle them appropriately. While I expect you to argue that families should have the RIGHT though they should choose otherwise, I think you are being too hard on the parents who want to raise their kids in the way they see fit.

2. This whole thing is ridiculous. To send someone hate mail because of a book or to call for banning a book are stupid things to do IMHO. By the way, the character in the book is fictional. He’s not getting it on with anyone – male or female.

Of course Rowling deciding to announce this after the series is over is ridiculous as well. Who cares?

3. Donkey Kong says:

Buzz,

I agree. Its absurd that someone sends hate mail at all. I’ve been on the receiving end of it enough times though that I find most hate mail funny.

I’m more bothered by the overall sentiments that Spacy emits deriding parents for choosing to delay exposing their children to issues that they may not be mature enough to handle.

4. drjay says:

i’m not sure what the point of dumbledore’s sexuality being discussed at all was–it was not obvious from reading the book–i suppose in hindsight it may have a bearing on his relationship w/ grindelwald but not enough that it changes the gist of reading the series. it was as though she just wanted to be provacative w/out any real need to be doing so…and it is very small minded to call other people small minded, intolerance cuts both ways…the idea of banning books is obviously a little over the top but the idea of deiciding what is or is not appropriate for my offspring certainly is not.

5. Nicki says:

I think people need lives, actually.

Of course you can decide whether or not your children would enjoy and are ready for Harry Potter. But can you decide that everyone else should not be allowed to read Harry Potter because you’re a small-minded bigot? Hell, no. That goes against everything this country stands for — the freedom to determine what is and is not appropriate for you and yours.

6. Donkey Kong says:

Chris,

The label fits the people who write hate mail about these kinds of things. But even those folks aren’t saying it should be illegal, just boycotted. Big difference.

7. Chris says:

DK,

Both Ms. Comb (referenced above) and Ms. Malloy seek to ban the books (from government schools) because they contain themes that they don’t personally agree with.

I call that small minded.

8. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

It is rediculous.

But, I also find it rediculous that grown adults wait in line for hours days to buy a fantasy book about wizards and magic.

There was a time where life wasn’t so rediculously easy and free from REAL hardship that children actually grew up to become adults at some point before they hit retirement.

9. Rogue109 says:

The sun rises in the east this morning….CHECK.

The sky is blue….CHECK.

SpaceyG labels another group of southerners as “brain-dead” because she disagrees with them….CHECK.

Okay, everything seems to be normal.

10. Holly says:

You know, I love the Harry Potter series. I highly recommend it, DK, when you get around to it.

That said, I can’t understand why it was important information in the first place.

11. SpaceyG says:

I let my kid consume whatever media she wishes, because I like to keep to my strict beauty/cocktail party regime. One of her nannies, can’t remember which one, tells me my kid doesn’t really want to be Dumbledore so much as she really wants to grow-up to be Ellen Degeneres. (The nannies all love that show apparently.) Isn’t that cute?!

12. Chris says:

The Harry Potter series is great for kids. It teaches them that government is filled with incompetent and/or malicious people who wouldn’t know a threat if it put them under an imperious curse. The heroes in the series are kids who don’t do as their told, take matters into their own hands, and – not to be overly dramatic – save the world.

Harry, Ron and Hermone are _exactly_ the role models kids need after being locked up in zero-tolerance politically correct brain-washing shops all day long.

13. GAWire says:

While your kids are talking about Dumbledorf or asking why Ellen is crying on national TV about a dog, my child will be publishing research for the Council on Foreign Relations.

Who do you think is more likely to be invited to Davos for the World Economic Forum????