GA-10 in the news

The Hill has the latest.

If freshly elected Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) had any illusions about an easy reelection next year, they were quickly shattered earlier this month when third-quarter financial reports went public.

His primary opponent, state Rep. Barry Fleming (R), out-raised him by $220,000, sticking Broun with one of the biggest cash deficits among incumbents in Congress. It served as a wake-up call for the three-month congressman, who knows he can no longer simply focus on his official duties, as he would prefer.

1. CHelf says:

After the party was hammered in 2006 for being too soft and moderate is it wise for Fleming to try to position himself as a moderate and Broun as the far right ‘extremist’?

2. StevePerkins says:

This is ridiculous. I don’t agree with Broun on a lot of issues, but he’s not being targeted because he’s too conservative or not conservative enough. He’s being targeted because he beat the hand-picked establishment candidate when he wasn’t supposed to, and now the party establishment has egg on its face. Rather than take an honest and serious look at WHY it has egg on its face (i.e. we don’t like the direction you’ve been heading in and want to see change), the establishment instead just stuffs its head up its rear out of spite.

Whether you’re a principled conservative, or even just a partisan hack, having a GOP congressman spend his whole term bogged down with a senseless primary challenge is destructive either way. I hope Broun embarrasses the hell out of them yet again.

3. Holly says:

I’ve seen nothing coming from the Fleming camp that suggested he was trying to paint himself as moderate.

There’s someone running against Paul Broun because there’s an interest in having a reputable person in the seat. Need I point out there are strong challenges from both Dems and Repubs for the seat?

4. Chris says:

Broun has a challenger because he’s got lots of debt, hasn’t been there long, and the sharks smell an easy catch.

5. eburke says:

I think Steve & Chris are both right. Dr. Broun ticked off and embarrassed the establishment (who have managed to further embarass themselves, ie. David Barbee). But they also see that now is the only time he will be vulnerable without the advantage of a full two years of encumbancy.

6. CHelf says:

Holly,

What other way will Fleming paint himself? And what has Broun done while in office to make you think he is not reputable? What could be done differently to make him or his opposition ‘reputable’?

7. Holly says:

And what has Broun done while in office to make you think he is not reputable?

It comes down to character. Votes are secondary to man or woman’s character.

8. Holly says:

Ha ha, Blake. You know better. I’ll say it publicly now: if Barry doesn’t make it out of the primary, I will vote for Saxon in the general. He’s not from Augusta.

9. Romegaguy says:

How can Broun focus on his official duties if he isnt even sworn in yet?

Holly, I wouldnt classify any democrat in that race as a strong challenge. Snuggles will get a larger percentage of votes (while losing) than Saxon.

10. AlanR says:

There is a really good opportunity for a conservative democrat willing to work like a maniac. Its a given that there will be a divisive republican primary, and we already know the “powers that be” don’t always think straight, why else would they let Whitehead go for a month without a real campaign.

This could be very interesting. How fast can Broun learn to earmark?

11. Donkey Kong says:

Steve, Chris–right on.

I have met Barry Fleming, though I can’t say I know him personally. I have always thought he’s a good guy. But it really irks me that he’s running against Broun right now. This is political opportunism. I have enjoyed watching Rep. Broun in Congress, and I have vigorously supported his positions advocated thus far. The GOP should give the man a chance to work before challenging him in the primary.

12. Bill Simon says:

Donkey,

To your statement “The GOP should give the man a chance to work before challenging him in the primary.”….the “GOP” isn’t collectively working to push Barry Fleming into the primary challenge, Barry Fleming is pushing Barry Fleming into a primary challenge. Period.

13. Holly says:

Yes, DK, I would. I would rather vote for someone I know to be a good man who I disagree with on every single issue than someone who I can agree with on issues but I believe to be of poor moral character.

Let’s be honest. My libertarian streak is a mile wide. I agree with Paul Broun’s voting record 95% of the time.

But voting records are secondary to a man’s character. Hence my stance.

So much for being a GOP hack, huh? Eh, Indy’ll be happy, at least. 🙂

Oh, before I get accused of being something I’m not, let me post a disclaimer: I am not working for the Fleming campaign, nor will I be working for the campaign at a later date. I cannot speak for his campaign, and I have no inside knowledge of their actions / strategy / etc. I have not spoken with the so-called “establishment” in some time, so you can all safely assume that I’m Blake’s polar opposite: out of the loop.

14. bowersville says:

Broun won in the runoff because of the votes for him coming from liberal/progressive/democratic votes in Athens-Clarke County. The Democrats have been persistent in thumbing the apple of the eye of the Republicans in the 10th.

It’s a sore spot and they have kept rubbing it in. This has nothing to do with opportunistic but all to do with reality on the ground. The Democrats want a fight, well they’ve got it. It just happens that Broun is caught in the middle of the fray.

I’m a Libertarian leaning Republican, but Broun’s in for a primary fight.

Unless Broun can earmark water and stop the drought, there is no earmark that can buy him votes. He should educate himself on banning water basin transfers.

15. Holly says:

He should educate himself on banning water basin transfers.

Amen. Away from the politics of the district, that is one of the biggest issues we face here, and the possibilities terrify me.

16. Toddrob says:

SWEARING IN OF THE HONORABLE PAUL C. BROUN, OF GEORGIA, AS A MEMBER OF THE HOUSE — (House of Representatives – July 25, 2007)

[Page: H8466] http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2007_record&page=H8466&position=all

— The SPEAKER. Will the Representative-elect and the Members of the Georgia delegation present themselves in the well.

Mr. BROUN appeared at the bar of the House and took the oath of office, as follows:

Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that you will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that you take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that you will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which you are about to enter, so help you God.

The SPEAKER. Congratulations, you are now a Member of the 110th Congress.

17. rugby_fan says:

Toddrob:

As an epistemological skeptic, I doubt everything not seen with my own eyes.

Moreover, something that causes this much controversy as to whether or not it was a true event leads itself to skepticism.

I’ll wait until he is reelected (which does not appear a lock) before I reevaluate my belief.