Richardson Calls His Critics All Liars

On his speaking tour across the state to, apparently, try to make more people oppose his “great” plan to raise taxes and increase the size of state government at the expense of local control, House Speaker Glenn Richardson lashed out at his critics yesterday while speaking to the Gwinnett County Chamber of Commerce, even calling the leader of the Georgia Municipal Association “a liar.”

During a question and answer session, Richardson blasted Jim Higdon, the executive director of the Georgia Municipal Association for a letter Higdon released Thursday.

“I read the GMA letter by Jim Higdon today that is a lie. It says that I’m saying things that I didn’t say. And he’s a liar if he signed that,” Richardson said.

Richardson is such a little punk, hothead of a man. The more he speaks, the more he opens his mouth, the further south this whole thing goes. But the best thing about it is that he is so deluded I don’t think he even realizes it.

1. Bill Simon says:

Let’s not be too redundant, Decaturguy: “The more he speaks, the more he opens his mouth…”

I know, your response will be “6 of one, half-dozen of another.” 😉

2. rugby_fan says:

A part of me hopes he continues with this foolish proposal.

He will expose himself for the hothead he is, push for an incredibly unpopular and flawed policy, and then, maybe, he won’t be in power anymore.

A part of me is fearful that he has created such a dictatorial rule in the House that this disastrous plan will actually pass.

3. eehrhart says:

Question? If something is a lie and you point it out how is that being hotheaded? Does it change the fact that it is an untruth to call it a lie?

Interesting logic.

As for incredibly unpopular. If it is, and you are so sure, lets put it on the ballot and just embarass the Speaker and me to death.

What have you got to lose?

4. Andre Walker says:

You know, I agree with Rep. Ehrhart’s point.

If so many people are against the GREAT plan, put it on the ballot and let the people vote in down in 2008.

In any case, the GREAT plan deserves an up or down vote; accept or reject; confirm or deny; but at the least, it deserves a vote.

5. Decaturguy says:

Oh, Andre, stop kissing Earl Ehrhart’s ass. At some point legislators should do their jobs and represent us and put bad ideas to bed without having a referendum on every issue. I’m sure that if Glenn Richardson, who just happens to be Speaker of the House, wants to have a vote of the House on this, he will have it. It doesn’t mean legislators should vote for it (even if they oppose the idea) just so that people can vote on the issue come election time. That would apply to every other scheme that legislators come up with as well.

Why not just vote every constitutional amendment proposed out of the House and send them all to the voters for approval? Following Andre and Earl’s logic, why not?

It is an assinine idea, but, then again, it came from Andre.

6. Decaturguy says:

Or Dorian, the lie that Glenn’s tax scheme will actually reduce people’s taxes. That is the big lie.

7. Andre Walker says:

Well, DecaturGuy, there is something called a ballot initiative, that exists in 24 states and the District of Columbia, where the people can gather enough signatures to have an issue (constitutional amendment, changes to state law, etc.) placed on the ballot for all voters to decide up or down.

It’s a form of direct democracy, and it’s a way to find out where the voters stand on an issue instead of leaving all of the decision-making powers in the hands of (in Georgia’s case) 236 state legislators.

DecaturGuy, I’m glad to see that you’re against a form of direct democracy, and that you’d rather have big government make all the decisions for you.

I personally would relish the opportunity to vote down this GREAT plan because I’m very skeptical about its ability to work, but people like you don’t want me to have that choice at the ballot box.

8. IndyInjun says:

Go ahead and put it on the ballot.

I make out like a bandit, saving nearly $20,000 in property taxes. There is no way my family will pay sales taxes of nearly that much.

Only one provision needs to be ironclad. Neither the rate nor tax base can be changed, with state government mandated to cut spending to make up any revenue shortfalls.

My prior opposition to this plan was based upon my more than 20 years in sales taxation in 17 states, not how I personally benefit or lose. I truly do not feel that the state will be better off under this “reform.”

It will save me a mint and it is going to be a load of fun watching the aftermath of passage. Shoot, I might unretire and make money two ways!

Put it on the ballot and see what happens, I say.

9. Decaturguy says:

So, Andre, what you favor is for a legislator to vote against his or her conscious and vote for the GlennTax even though he believes that it would be bad for the state, just to give the voters an opportunity to vote it down. I’m sorry, that does not make any sense at all. But it gets you in Earl Ehrhart’s good graces. Congrats.

10. Andre Walker says:

DecaturGuy,

What I favor is the opportunity for major decisions to be taken out of the hands of the Georgia General Assembly, and put in the hands of Georgia voters.

The GREAT plan is a major decision that, for good or ill, affects every Georgian in some way or another. The gay marriage amendment was another major decision just as the state flag was. Sometimes there are decisions needing to be made that are too big for a group of 236 individuals to tackle. Sometimes it’s best for the voters to weigh-in on those major decisions at the ballot box.

We Democrats lost power because of our somewhat heavy-handed ways of forcing things down Georgia voters’ throats.

For an estimated thirty years, we Democrats imposed our will on the people of Sandy Springs who simply wanted a vote on whether to become a city. In 2001, we Democrats forced a new state flag on the people of Georgia without giving them an opportunity to be heard. That’s not democracy; that’s big government imposing its will on the people without their input.

In 2004, the Georgia General Assembly placed a non-binding, advisory referendum on the presidential preference primary ballot concerning the state flag. In that advisory referendum, 73.1% ( 577,370) of the people who voted made the right decision and made it known that they preferred the 2003 flag over the 2001 flag.

I think that if you put this question, the GREAT plan, before the voters next year, they’ll do their research; learn all they can about the pros and cons; and make the right decision. And that will be that.

One more thing, in case I didn’t make it clear before, I favor a legislator letting the people decide what is and isn’t bad for the state.

11. Chris says:

Whoa, twice in one day I’m agreeing with DecaturGuy. Now I’m scared.

I don’t think that every crackpot idea a legislator comes up with should be put to the people for a vote. The fact of the matter is that the majority of the people do not educate themselves on the issues and thus will vote based on demagoguery.

Thats not to say I wouldn’t mind seeing ballot initiatives in this state. While the loopy-leftists ones tend to get the most press, historically they have managed to force big-government legislators to accept smaller government proposals the people support.

As for the GREAT plan, I don’t see it making it out of the Gold Dome this session. Too few details have been ironed down, and it will take several months of research before anyone can make an informed decision on this proposal. They only have 40 days come January – thats not enough time for the process to work on a change this radical.

12. dorian says:

Yea, but come on. Has anyone thought about HOW it will read on the ballot? It’ll end up being some nonsense like “do you favor the elimination of all property taxes in Georgia?” Which will be, of course, half of the truth.

13. IndyInjun says:

I hereby retract every objection I posed on PeachPundit to the GREAT plan on the basis that it was bad for the people.

Everyone questioned my motivations, anyway.

Put it on the ballot and let the people decide. They will pass it. They ALWAYS pass such things on a ballot.

I kind of like the idea of saving $20 grand.

Being altruistic doesn’t pay. It costs you money and no one believes you anyhow.

14. IndyInjun says:

Even when he gigs me, reading Bill Simon’s brief, cutting and witty comments on this blog is worth putting up with Erick’s Gestapo tactics.

15. IndyInjun says:

Rugby

My smile will be bigger.

$2o grand a year……what was I thinking about?

The tax on Grandma’s nursing home care and medical costs will make the state and county whole.

16. Decaturguy says:

Yep, put this question on the ballot, “Do you favor the elimination of property taxes in Georgia?” and the voters will pass it easily. That is why a responsible legislator would stop this bad idea before it gets to the voters. That is why we have legislators instead of direct democracy. But for demogogues … it is just a political opportunity.

17. cheapseats says:

Anything less than the whole truth is an outright lie.

That’s why most people think politicians are liars and that’s the reason that most politicians really are liars. They only tell the parts that make them sound good.

BTW – this is also called “marketing”

Put this one on the ballot as a constitutional amendment if you got the guts to do what is right:
    “Shall the wording of ballot initiatives for all constitutional amendments be complete and truthful as to their full impact and effects on the citizens of Georgia?”

I bet that one would pass!