Non-Georgia Question

So, Clayton tells me that the prices on flat screen televisions will be coming down dramatically for Christmas. I’ve been looking at a $1500.00 42

1. Your Royal Highness,

Screen burn is only a problem when it obscures open records and open governments.

Sorry you got a bad hamburger in Atlanta. Now that you are almost Macon Royalty, i think a Statewide Public Inquest, with the guillotine may be in order.

your loyal subjects

2. Doug Deal says:

Plasma TV’s are supposed to be a lot better in screen burn as they used to, but I have not seen anything that says how much better. I would not recommend using it to display any kind of static image.

LCD’s are supposed to be slower at updating pixels so they are less desirable for watching sports where there is a lot of movement, but it is becoming less and less noticable.

LCD’s are also able to display a finer resolution than plasma. At big screen dimensions, this is not important, but in smaller screens you would not be able to get full HDTV resolution in a plasma.

If I were to buy a 42″ plus TV tomorrow, I would probably get an LCD.

3. dorian says:

Erick, there is one thing and only one thing you need to take into consideration. Room lighting. If the room is one that has a lot of daylight the glare from a plasma will be awful, go with an lcd. If it is a darker room then get a plasma.

Don’t get me wrong, there are differences. For example, lcd’s won’t show true black, and they don’t transition from images as well as a plasma, but those are incidental compared to the glare.

4. David says:

Erick, LCD all the way. I have a super techno nerd on my staff who gives the following advice;

LCD, 1080p of any dimension, 52 will best better.

Sony Bravia or similar Samsung will be the best way you can go.

Plasma will potentially give you a burn, no matter how good they are now.

5. CobbGOPer says:

Yeah, LCD all the way. Mine works great for tv, movies, and sports, no screen burn worries, and they are supposed to last longer than plasma too.

6. ugavi says:

Dorian is correct. Room light is the major factor. Bright room LCD. Burn is not an issue, I have a plasma thats almost 5 years old, and no burn in.

7. dorian says:

Also, I haven’t heard you say whether or not you would have anything high-def hooked up to it. DVD’s and digital cable are 480p, so if you aren’t going with an HD or bluray player or HD cable/statellite then any cheap-o lcd is fine.

8. David says:

Also, I beleive that the signals that are currently available on cable are not full HD at this point, but do get the 1080p version of the TV in anticipation of better TV signals in the future.

9. dorian says:

He’s right. HS cable and sat is at 1080i right now. True HD is limited to bluray HDDVD, but imost laymen can’t tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. Maybe in action movies with lots of splosions.

10. David says:

Go to Amazon or Best Buy and price the LCD, Erick. You won’t be sorry. The price isn’t that much higher. If your gonna do video games and leave it on all the times with children around, do the LCD. If you’re just gonna do movies, plasma is fine. This is from my TV nerd.

11. Bill Simon says:

While we are on a non-Georgia topic, but talking about electronic stuff, I got a question about the iPod: Can you easily take videos with it and upload them to the Web, a’ la YouTube?

If so, how many minutes of recording time does it have?

12. heroV says:

Vizio is the #1 LCD TV seller in America. They basically just sell LCD’s and plasmas and that’s it.

13. rugby_fan says:

LCD and plasmas have too many problems due to their being nascent technologies.

Go with a projection instead. So much better.

A friend of mine has one, it takes up an entire wall, no problems. crispest picture I’ve ever seen in a home screen. Just wonderful.

14. rugby_fan says:

Nascent in that both LCD and plasma TVs will have major flaws because the technology has not advanced enough to figure out ways to correct them.

15. rugby_fan says:

I think its a good general rule that I never have any idea about what I’m talking about.

That being said, Plasma and LCD screen technology for consumers is new, and developing. There are major problems with both. Having a projection system for a TV is the superior option.

16. bowersville says:

Forget Vizio, they burn out because of cheaper components. It’s the Yugo of LCD’s. Go with a long term warranty and a name brand LCD. Cheaper purchase price isn’t always better. My Samsung…well…it’s gone…Panasonic, a little more expensive, but with the warranty it’s a better deal. Side by side, the Sony has less color resolution to the eye.

There is no more local repairs with an LCD, save your box because they all go back to the factory.

17. dorian says:

You must have worked for Sears about 10 years ago and put out of a job. Do tell. What are these problems? I get that you think being “new” is a problem, but that aside enlighten me. Are they exploding? Toxic waste? Did one crash the space shuttle? Causing blindness? Brain damage? Do they make me want to play more Halo3? Will a plasma make me impotent? Cause hair loss? Is it responsible for the war in Iraq?

Also, what is your basis for a projection tv being better? Is it cooler to have a tv that weighs a metric ton? That burns out faster? More shadowing? Burning? I’ll concede viewing angle, so if you want to watch tv at a 90 degree angle go buy a projection tv.

18. Clayton says:

I have advised Erick to go with a Panasonic plasma, as I am the extremely happy consumer of two 42″ panny screens. I also have a Pioneer 43″ commercial plasma that is 4.5 years old, with no burn or other problems.

While I regularly advise folks to consider LCD screens, my heart lies with plasmas because of their deep blacks (recent glass) and high contrast.

Oh, and Vizio moves a lot of volume but so does McDonalds… Their upconvert and glass is 2-3 years behind the majors. That’s not shabby, and certainly a great bargain, but I’ve had one at home on a Comcast HD set top (along with a Mitsubishi, JVC) and the Panasonic just blows the others away in terms of making *any* signal look awesome.

Personally I hope Erick will be with me the day after Thanksgiving on my annual hunting trip to Fry’s.

19. rugby_fan says:

dorian:

The problem with both of LCD and Plasma screens is that, I am yet to find one that is consistently good across all forms of TV broadcasting that I watch. One TV that handles sports well does not render movies well, or does not show images on the news with out blurring when going to a close up &c.

At least with CRT TVs one could always get a consistent picture.

With the projection systems not only is the angle better but I have seen more depth in images and a far more consistent picture.

20. dorian says:

Look rugby, there are some jam up projection tv’s based on lcos (liquid crystal on silicon) and ila (image light amplified) technology. I mean really, really nice. Hasn’t got a thing in the world to do with “problems” with lcd’s or plamsa. It’s like buying a porche because you think there are problems with hondas. But there are high end plamsa’s and lcd’s that are porches too.

Projection tv’s nowadays have very little in common with crt tv’s. I guess what I’m saying is that we are, in a way, both right except for those comments you made about crt’s which was was silly.

21. jsm says:

I assume that when speaking of projection, you folks are talking about DLP. Is that right?

My parents’ 25″ tube TV went out last week, and I mentioned to dad that he might check out DLP along with the LCD and plasma he had been checking out. They ended up buying a 42″ Toshiba LCD. The standard cable signal is slightly noisy, but I understand that’s typical with pixelation of an analog signal. I’m generally impressed, though, with the range of understandable menus/settings to remedy some of that.

Dad still likes to watch NASCAR, and we checked it out on ABC HD. It looked really, really good–better than the football games I’ve seen on a friends older LCD set on ESPN HD. Dad said the salesman mentioned a ‘newest technology’ 120Hz number. Does anyone know what function this represents?

22. dorian says:

It’s the refresh rate. That is the rate at which the screen is redrawn every second. Higher is better.