What I’m Hearing [UPDATED]

I’m hearing that JIm Marshall will vote to sustain the President’s veto on SCHIP because he thinks a better deal can be struck.

Also, in a separate conversation, I talked with Congressman Price. He thinks there are not enough votes to override the President’s veto. He also thinks that Congress could quickly reach an acceptable compromise solution once the veto is sustained.

[UPDATED:] They really won’t know until they vote, but Democrat and Republican staffers on the Hill both tell me that the House Democratic leadership is already beginning work on a revised SCHIP plan, expecting that the President’s veto will be sustained.

1. Toddrob says:

Of course a better deal is going to be struck… this has been political theatre at its finest… Congress has used children as a political football for campaign commericals next year.

2. John Konop says:

As most of you know I have said SCHIP is a band aid on a gushing wound, with that said people debating the issue should use facts not hype.

USATODAY-Defending his veto of a plan to expand the State Children

3. YourFutureLeader says:

Good points Jason

The Presidents veto will stand and Id guess it will by about 10 votes.

I dont think a new bill is going to be so easy to just conjur up. The ball is now in the Republican court anything a penny over the expansion Bush pushed will get vetoed and the Dems dont hold the votes to override.

4. Common Sense says:

Dems should vote on a CR to keep it going till mid next year and destroy GOPers again with it . Everyone wins

5. ondichliberty88 says:

Why am I not surprised where ever Congressmen Tom Price is mentioned there’s John Konop. Flashback time July 18th 2006. The Georgia 6th District Congressional Election GOP Primary
    PRICE 47, 925 82.3%
    KONOP 10,322 17.7%
    I guess maybe why Tom Price is still Congressmen. John Konop needs to start at state level position like State House. Before Control Congress can be a credible political front.

6. steelfist says:

Sounds as if Jim Marshall would have voted to override the veto if Pelosi had the votes. A real man of principle.

7. I Am Jacks Post says:

The guy Tom Price steamrolled in the last Republican primary election states:

“Moreover, as tough as it is for most Americans to think of a family of four making almost $83,000 as the least bit

8. John Konop says:

I Am Jacks Post

Since you do not understand the USA TODAY article I will help you. The point is the 83K figure is not real! And it was used to fire up people who can not think for themselves.

If you follow the link you will see the figure is much lower. Also the reason States have the power to work with the income level was Newt

9. YourFutureLeader says:

Just to note NYS official amount over FPL is 250% or about $52,000 if Im correct using the 07 HHS poverty figure of $20,650 and with my math which is never a sure thing.